Former Marietta Track and XC Coach Turns 100 Years Old!

MariettaPride21
S

Former Marietta Track and XC Coach Turns 100 Years Old!

Post by MariettaPride21 »

Date of Birth April 25th, 1909

Current Address:
Robert G. Annasenz
Glenwood Retirement Center
200 Timberline Dr. #1214
Marietta, OH 45750-9517

Coach Bob Annazenz is known as the "Father of Track" in the Marietta, Ohio area.
Bob was born in 1909 in Morton, Illinois to German immigrant parents. He attended Bradley University, Peoria, IL where he ran Track and played Football and graduated in 1933. After graduation he moved to Marietta, Ohio and began teaching Woodshop and Industrial Arts to 8th through 12th graders. He coached Track and Cross County from 1937 to 1975. His teaching and coaching career was interrupted in 1941-45 to serve in the U.S. Air Force in WWII.
Following is a list of some of his accomplishments in his coaching career:
More than 100 Dual and Track Meet wins
More than 50 big Meet Titles
10 Southeastern Ohio District Championships
9 Central Ohio League Championships
42 Ohio State Qualifiers
3 Ohio State Championships
Coached Olympic Gold Medalist and All American High Hurdler ('61 & "75) Glen "Jeep" Davis
Inducted into Ohio Track Coach Hall of Fame '73
Inducted into Ohio Cross Country Hall of Fame '74
Recognized by the Ohio State House of Representatives 110th General Assembly for his contributions to Track and field in Ohio
The all-weather Track at the Don Drumm Stadium used by Marietta High School and Marietta College named in his honor 1996
Inducted into the Mid-Ohio Valley Hall of Fame 1999
He was named to the Bradley University Athletics Hall of Fame in 1999.

His hobby was woodworking and he has built most of his beautiful furniture. He continued building footstools and wooden banks as gifts for others in his garage workshop until he and his wife (Helen 93 years old) moved to their apartment in Glenwood Retirement Center in 2004 where they both continue to live.

Bob said his secret to longevity is marrying a nurse, Helen, his beautiful wife of 72 years, and working hard and staying active your entire life.

schenk11
All Conference

Re: Former Marietta Track and XC Coach Turns 100 Years Old!

Post by schenk11 »

Coach Annasenz is a great man. He coached my father, brother, and myself; my brother and myself after he "retired" from coaching. Still gets around on his own and still has all the fire he used to.

Congratulations and best wishes for many more youthful years!!!!!!

Return to “Track & Field”