River's Duke sets state shot (66'10.5") in OVACs.

carbon_dated
All State

River's Duke sets state shot (66'10.5") in OVACs.

Post by carbon_dated »

Saw it tonight and the (Hannibal) River great did it again.. broke the state shot put record. D.J. Duke tossed the shot put 66'10.5" at the OVAC track championship.

The senior now has the record at every track in the OVAC he has been at for the Pilots. He throws tomorrow (Sat.) at the Jesse Owens Meet.

grizzlynatural
Varsity

Re: River's Duke sets state shot (66'10.5") in OVACs.

Post by grizzlynatural »

This is incredible. Congrats to him!

Can someone get some videos of this kid? Once you hit above 65 feet your video worthy lol

Once again congrats, thats a HELL of a throw!!!!

carbon_dated
All State

Post by carbon_dated »

I'm sure someone from River HS or a relative of D.J. has video of him. He's just a strong, great kid. Heard he's headed to Division II Ashland that has one of the nation's best shot putters.

buckeyeshots
Freshman Team

Post by buckeyeshots »

Congratulations to Mr. D.J. Duke and good luck for the rest of the year from Buckeyeshots. He put on a pretty good show today at the Jesse Owens Invitational.

carbon_dated
All State

Post by carbon_dated »

That's a great pic of Duke tossing that iron ball. Keep up the good work and meet ya in Columbus in a few weeks.

SErunner
JV Team

Post by SErunner »

Congrats

Bigboy52
All State

Post by Bigboy52 »

Congrats! and Good Luck!

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

Ashland University is quite well-respected in collegiate throwing circles. He will go there and continue to improve.

rico suave
Freshman Team

Post by rico suave »

why don't the ohio state buckeyes offer this kid. my goodness the best ever in the state and i am sure he could step in immediately and help ohio state.

schenk11
All Conference

Post by schenk11 »

Maybe there is not a scholarship to offer him. Also, they did sign Curt Smith from Chillicothe.

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

Before any dunce mis-reads what I am saying here, this in NO WAY is meant to detract from what the young man from River has accomplished...

But my guess is that, as with most Division I sports, they recruit potential more than performance.

Scholarships are not rewards for great things done; they are hedges as to what the kid can do for the university in the future.

How tall is Duke and how tall is the kid from Chillicothe? How do their discus numbers compare? All of these might be questions that factored in OSU's decision to sign Smith instead of Duke.

schenk11
All Conference

Post by schenk11 »

Several people have mentioned that Dukes technique is flawless. That might be an indicator that improvement would be more difficult than someone who has technique flaws.

buckeyeshots
Freshman Team

Post by buckeyeshots »

Not taking anything away from the kid, but everyone has flaws as well as D.J. Duke. He is doing great things in this sport and I wish him good luck for the remainder of the season.

And just to clear up Rico Suave's comment that he is the best ever... He is officially the best ever from Division III. Jimmy Pacifico from the class of 2007 is the best ever with throws over 70 feet.

rico suave
Freshman Team

Post by rico suave »

mr buckeye shots himself saying duke has flaws. wow i would say he definitely outthrew your best throws in high school. he is 6 to 8 ft. farther than your best i believe and would challenge you on the buckeye squad right now. good thing he isn't going there . smith is though :122246. i don't believe you even hold your school record in shot or disc. just pat yourself on the back if that's what makes you happy.

buckeyeshots
Freshman Team

Post by buckeyeshots »

Listen Rico, I was not good in high school. D.J. Duke is MILES past where I was in high school and I commend that. Whoever said that Ohio State recruits potential is right, because that's the only reason I am there. Now I am almost at the marks that I was at in high school with the college implements. It's all about what you can do to make yourself better.

Don't take it personal man, I was just saying. Even your professionals have flaws, that's why records aren't broken everyday. I actually hate it that you took my statement the wrong way. It makes me look like a bitter, closed minded person, and that's not true. Why would I care how far a high school kid is throwing, because you're right, I don't have my school's records. I hope D.J. goes on to break Jimmy Pacifico's high school state record to be honest, because he has the potential to do it.

Just take statements a little lighter next time. Don't be so quick to snap.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

DJ just threw 68' 8.25" at Jesse Owens stadium. This compares to Pacifico's best throw in the same venue, 69' 5.25". I think that speaks volumes for what this kid can do.

OSU missed the boat on this one, and Ashland came out the winner. Congratulations to DJ on finishing strong with your high school career!!!!!!!

grizzlynatural
Varsity

Post by grizzlynatural »

rico suave wrote:mr buckeye shots himself saying duke has flaws. wow i would say he definitely outthrew your best throws in high school. he is 6 to 8 ft. farther than your best i believe and would challenge you on the buckeye squad right now. good thing he isn't going there . smith is though :122246. i don't believe you even hold your school record in shot or disc. just pat yourself on the back if that's what makes you happy.

If Buckeye shots is the dude from Coal Grove or one of them Ironton feeder schools then if i remember correctly i dont recall him throwing anywhere close to 60ft his senior year. I believe it was around 56-58 feet(ish)? I dont believe he had a farther mark than Bryce Bumgardner.

buckeyeshots
Freshman Team

Post by buckeyeshots »

It was 58' 11". Congrats to D.J. Duke on the record and the state win!

Return to “Track & Field”