Chesapeake Wrestling 2009-10

robycop3
All State

Chesapeake Wrestling 2009-10

Post by robycop3 »

Chesapeake just does not have the athletes they used to. Because of the small population contending for athletes with basketball is a struggle. In the past athletes such as Travis Brown, James Adkins, the Davis twins (sons of Phil Davis), Bryan and Brad Eldred, and Doug Wiley simply dominated the Southeat Ohio competition, as well as West Virginia. There is no doubt Davis knows what he is doing, and with the help of a couple ex-wreslters at asst. coaching positions, the young bloods of the 2009-10 season are sure be tough, most of which are sophomores and juniors. To name a few: Justin Pitts, Alex McDonald, Chris Hughes, Richard McFarland, and the lone senior, Gabe "G" Fryre, a tough athlete who having never wrestled, used his strength and speed to upset a couple of real tough guys. With a year of very good experiece and training under their belts, look for this young group of competitors to turn some heads on the mat in the upcoming season.
Last edited by robycop3 on Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

SE Ohio
Freshman Team

Re: Chesapeake Wrestling 2009-10

Post by SE Ohio »

i agree with you, the Davis twins were tough. what happened, Chesapeake was a really tough team in the mid to late 90s, then sort of fell off the map.

wch125
All State

Post by wch125 »

I wrestled with Travis Brown at in college at Muskingum. Does he live in Chesapeake?

robycop3
All State

Post by robycop3 »

wch125 wrote:I wrestled with Travis Brown at in college at Muskingum. Does he live in Chesapeake?

Travis currently lives in Wheelersburg, OH and teaches/coaches at Huntington High, as well as middle school track and wrestling at Chesapeake. He is looking for a place closer to work.

wch125
All State

Post by wch125 »

[
Misteroby wrote:
wch125 wrote:I wrestled with Travis Brown at in college at Muskingum. Does he live in Chesapeake?

Travis currently lives in Wheelersburg, OH and teaches/coaches at Huntington High, as well as middle school track and wrestling at Chesapeake. He is looking for a place closer to work.

Well if you talk to him tell him a teammate of his in college" Louis Reid" says what's up

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

Louis Reid, now that is a name I havent heard in a while!!!

jeepchopper
Riding the Bench

Post by jeepchopper »

This is Travis Brown. First and foremost I want to say thank you for all the nice words that people have written about my frineds and I and our team we had. Yes we had a great team and its tough for the younger groups to ever live up to that. We are on a come back I believe. Coach Davis is still doing a great job and my father and I are doing what we can to help out the junior high. There is some great talent coming up, and I see this schools wrestling team doing great things again ion the future. And whats up Louis. RIP James Adkins one of the best partners centers and friends a man could ever have.

Bear
Freshman Team

Post by Bear »

Chesapeake has had the numbers at the middle school level in recent years, it just hasn't translated to the High School level for some reason. The fact that everyone and their brother would rather ride the pine in basketball than actually compete is mind boggling to me.

Hey Travis, tell your pops that I said hello.

jeepchopper
Riding the Bench

Post by jeepchopper »

I sure will bear come down and see us this season we;d love to have some extra good help

Bear
Freshman Team

Post by Bear »

jeepchopper wrote:I sure will bear come down and see us this season we;d love to have some extra good help

I sure wish I could, but I packed up last year and moved to South Carolina(I didn't want to spend another 2/3 years working as a substitute teacher).

Post the schedules when you get them. The wife and I may be able to make it up there for the Christmas Holiday.

purpleblood1
JV Team

Post by purpleblood1 »

The Peake wrestling program has been good for a long time. Go back through the years and you will see some great wrestlers who have walked the halls of CHS: Bill Houston (fastest pin in school history - 9 sec), Chitwood (can't remember his first name, I think it was Danny), Danny Hayes, Ronnie Best, Shaun Floyd, Mike Brooks, Donnie Brooks, Aaron Rice (quit the B'Ball team in the middle of practice and came up and joined us on the mat), Jeff Combs, Danny & Dale Holstein, Doug Thompson, and some more I can't remember from long ago. '77 team won the OVC and went on to get second in the AA sectional. Probably the best coach was Bob Cyrus. I hated him, but darn he got the job done. He was a former world record holder in the leg press, even if it was for a day before a Russian took it back. I can remember going to the Johnathan Alder tourney and wrestling in front of around 4000 people. Over 5000 for the finals. We wrestled against the best in the state. Best of luck to the Peake this year, you have a great heritage to up hold.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

Looking for the contact number or e-mail address for the Middle school coaches.
thanks

purpleblood1
JV Team

Post by purpleblood1 »

Anybody got a Peake wrestling schedule? I would love to make a few matches since I'm moving back to town.

purpleblood1
JV Team

Post by purpleblood1 »

still waiting for that schedule for the Peake's wrestling, anybody got one???

houston
Waterboy

Post by houston »

Well, first let me say "that it brings me extreme pleasure to see a legacy of wrestlers so proudly talking about the peak wrestling program" I definitely think the turning point in the program was the hiring of Coach Cyrus. His enthusiasm and knowledge of the sport had not been there before. Don't get me wrong about my coach, "grover Joe" who instilled discipline and drive, but our technical knowledge was limited to the basics. The good thing Coach Smith brought us was intensity and heart. While I was there we also took a OVC championship in "72" and two of us placed in the districts. I think that some lime light should be cast on Dave Chamberland asst athlete coach from Marshall who was previous 132 lb New Jersey champion and was at Marshall..his brief time with us was enormous. In reading Chuck Edwards quote...there is one name that does need mentioning...Bobby Runyon the 185 pounds class on the 72 team...to my knowledge Bobby was the first wrestler in Peak program to advance beyond the district. He won the OVC, the Ironton Tribune classic, the Holiday Invitational as well the district ...He and I finished the season 25/1... 24/2 respectfully...with each having 17 pins.....
So there is legacy to our program and a future it seems...it is nice to know this
Bill Houston

purpleblood1
JV Team

Post by purpleblood1 »

Bill, I wish that the kids today could go through the workouts Coach and you guys used to put use through on a daily basis. You all were the reason we were the team we were and the men we became. I'm sure they have hard practices, but I can guarantee you there was never a harder practice than what we went through on a daily basis. Plus the competetion we saw weekly was second to none. Schools from Columbus, Cincy, Cleveland, Huntington, Ashland, Boyd County, Ironton, man that was some fun times.

punk rock rules
Waterboy

Post by punk rock rules »

If any former Chesapeake wrestlers want to keep up with Chesapeake wrestling please check out our Facebook page

wch125
All State

Post by wch125 »

tbone77 wrote:If any former Chesapeake wrestlers want to keep up with Chesapeake wrestling please check out our Facebook page

What if anyone wants to challenge some of the former Chesapeake greats like Travis Country Brown? How could we get a match set up?

punk rock rules
Waterboy

Post by punk rock rules »

Are we in the same weight class anymore Coach Reid lol

wch125
All State

Post by wch125 »

Lol ! I hover around 189

Return to “Wrestling”