D-II at Goshen

Auburntgrfan
All Conference

D-II at Goshen

Post by Auburntgrfan »

Of course Graham gets to pick where they want to go and they are back in Goshen. OHSAA Needs to just go by geography only, none of this super seed crap. If Graham is supposed to be in Southwest that is where they need to stay and everyone can deal with it. Anyway, hope some of our Southeast kids make it through, should be several this year. Look for several to have a legit shot. The brackets are up on Baum's page and some did not get much of a break. Others looks like they are in good shape. Hope all wrestle well. Don't leave anything on the mat.

bettis
Varsity

Re: D-II at Goshen

Post by bettis »

Good luck to Gallia Academy in the districts!!

wrestlefan9
Riding the Bench

Post by wrestlefan9 »

not predicting who will make it out, i think there is alresdy plenty of those......just want to say best of luck to all the SEOPS representers at district. show what were made of boys!!!!!

pf26
Riding the Bench

Post by pf26 »

Of course Graham gets to pick where they want to go and they are back in Goshen. OHSAA Needs to just go by geography only, none of this super seed crap. If Graham is supposed to be in Southwest that is where they need to stay and everyone can deal with it.
Just curious on the super seed. Where did you hear Graham gets to choose where they go? Isn't Goshen located just outside of Cincinnati which places it in the southwest? Check it out on map quest, if you base district assignment on geography, then Graham is definitely going to Goshen. St. Paris is located 79 miles from Goshen. The next closest district site for Graham is in Bowling Green which is 115 miles from St. Paris.

There is really no true Southeast District. All teams from the southeast sectional @ Alexander get sent to Goshen with the southwest teams. A few MVL teams from the southeast, John Glenn, Philo, and Maysville get sent to Buckeye Local (about a 2- 2 1/2 hour drive) for sectionals then Heath with Central district teams for districts. Tri-Valley and Morgan go all the way to Claymont for sectionals, then to Heath.

Bottom line is no matter where Graham goes, they will win, at least for now.

Auburntgrfan
All Conference

Post by Auburntgrfan »

I beg to differ, there is a true Southeast district always has been one, running from Marietta/Warren to as far west as Hillsboro/GreenfieldMcClain. THe Southeast has been shuffled back and forth, being combined with East/Southeast or the East/Central/Southeast and for the last decade or more the Southwest/Southeast. Alexander HS's gym is as large or larger that Goshen and could hold the DIII districts with ease. OU or Marietta College could easily handle DII. In fact several years ago St John Arena in Stubenville had both DII & DiII at the same time. OHSAA has each time moving the Southeast promised the once every four years the districts would be in the Southeast. Empty promises but a promise none the same. The super seed info came from a central district official, told me that the top eight teams were seeded and got to pick by lowest to highest, no more that two could go to anyone district. Did not know exactly where Graham was ;ocated, knew it was near Dayton. THe point is this. Just stay where you geographically belong and leave it at that. Size wise the SOutheast is very possibly the largest land mass district in the state. If any others are I would be suprised, also the Southeast is the most economically depressed area in the state. paying motel rooms, meals, bus drivers, etc. puts a strain on any school budget, but here most of all. Good luck to all the SOUTHEAST DISTRICT Wrestlers.

pf26
Riding the Bench

Post by pf26 »

That's interesting on the top 8 choosing, I've never heard that before. Just to clarify I meant that currently there is no southeast district, when there could / should be. I think the problem is with population density, even though the southeast is the largest landmass, there just aren't as many DII schools with wrestling in the area. How many schools are out there like Porstmouth for example that don't have wrestling?

With the completion of the 33 bypass around Nelsonville folks in our area might be able to make a stronger case to get it moved down here at least every other year. Most of the Columbus teams that go to Heath could easily make it to Athens in an hr. and a half. The only problem then, is what do you do with all the east teams that go to Heath?

Auburntgrfan
All Conference

Post by Auburntgrfan »

If my math is correct 17 of the 56 state qualifiers from Goshen are from the Southeast. 30% is very respectable. Only 8 from Graham, says something for the rest of the district. Congrats to all who make the trip to Columbus next week. Special congats to Cognolton (Warren) & Tawney (Gallia).

Aaron Schetter
Waterboy

Post by Aaron Schetter »

Only 9 state qualifiers came from the Alexander Sectional. And we as a sectional or southeast will keep getting moved until we stop having the fewest number of state places from any sectional.

SE Ohio
Freshman Team

Post by SE Ohio »

great point aaron

pf26
Riding the Bench

Post by pf26 »

I agree with Aaron. Wrestling in the southeast is improving, and I want to see that trend continue, but the Milton Union Sectional (Graham's Sectional) sent 24 wrestlers to the Schot. that's more than the courthouse and alexander sectional combined.

So fellas, any ideas on how to close the gap?? I for one think Coach Enright starting his club in New Lex has the potential to help wrestling improve in this area. Does anyone know of any other local camps / clubs / resources that we can encourage our young kids to attend in the offseason without having to drive 100's of miles and spend $1,000?

Return to “Wrestling”