Joe Burrow- Athens, OSU, LSU, WHO DEY!

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: Joe Burrow NFL Debut

Post by VetteMan »

If the Cincinnati Bengals are worried about A.J. Green through four games of the 2020 season, it's hard to tell from comments from head coach Zac Taylor. Green, the franchise player who hadn't previously played since the 2018 season, is the second most targeted player by Joe Burrow at 33, but he's only third on the team in receiving with 14 catches for 119 yards. It's not exactly the type of production the Bengals were hoping for from the former No-1 wideout. More often than not, it seems as if Green is having a hard time in getting separation from defenders. At times it seems as if his timing with Burrow's is clearly off. With Tyler Boyd booming as usual and Tee Higgins on a massive upswing, the clock may be ticking on Green to come around.

burgfella69
JV Team

Re: Joe Burrow- Athens, OSU, LSU, WHO DEY!

Post by burgfella69 »

PirateFan[69] wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:16 am
formerfcfan wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:49 pm
Cowboy22 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:33 pm First of all don't say that Ohio State wasted him. It was Urban that wasted him. And yes he did lose his starting job to a broken hand but that doesn't explain why he didn't play the year before ahead of that thing that Urban Meyer called a quarterback wearing jersey number 16
You mean JT Barrett, the same quarterback that threw for over 64% completion, 35TD’s and over 3K yards his senior season? The same JT Barrett who became the first three-year captain in Ohio State history? I’m sure Urban had a pretty good read on who was more deserving to be the starting QB.

You’re clueless, and it shows.
Where's JT at now?
I particularly don't like you because you stole my name but now that you're agreeing with this ridiculous claim by Cowboy I have to say something. In 2017, there's a clear reason as to why JT Barrett was the starter despite his lack of arm talent/accuracy. 2017 wasn't 2015 where you had Cardale and Braxton in the QB room. The 2017 season featured a freshman Dwayne Haskins and an injured sophomore Joe Burrow. While either of those QBs had more talent than JT Barrett, they were both far too young and inexperienced to thrive in Urban Meyer's system because it was designed to have a mobile QB. Haskins wasn't going to perform the read options nearly as well as JT or be able to scramble effectively. There's no guarantee he would have succeeded through the air consistently either. JT Barrett was proven, him over Haskins is a night and day decision. As for Burrow, he couldn't play anyway due to a hand injury but even if he could, he was not ready to take over. His junior season at LSU was average at best and it wasn't until his fifth and final year that he shined under center. For those reasons, REGARDLESS OF FUTURE SUCCESS, is why, at that moment (2017), neither of those QBs would ever play over JT Barrett. Simple. Case closed.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Former Cincinnati Bengals QB Carson Palmer sees the new No-9 playing in town and can't help but be happy to see what's happening. Palmer says Burrow looks way ahead of most rookies. Palmer said he's playing at a much higher level than I can remember a rookie playing. I hope he can do what I didn't do. I love the fans in Cincy, I want them to have their dreams come true, and get what they want. The Cincinnati fans are as loyal as any fans in the country. Palmer also took something of a funny shot at Baker Mayfield and the Cleveland Browns. The Browns are still the Browns, maybe it's early in the season, but I still trust my eyes. You don't know what you've got in Baker Mayfield, but you know what you you've got in Joe Burrow.

PirateFan[69]
Varsity

Post by PirateFan[69] »

burgfella69 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:16 pm

You mean JT Barrett, the same quarterback that threw for over 64% completion, 35TD’s and over 3K yards his senior season? The same JT Barrett who became the first three-year captain in Ohio State history? I’m sure Urban had a pretty good read on who was more deserving to be the starting QB.

Where's JT at now?
I particularly don't like you because you stole my name but now that you're agreeing with this ridiculous claim by Cowboy I have to say something. In 2017, there's a clear reason as to why JT Barrett was the starter despite his lack of arm talent/accuracy. 2017 wasn't 2015 where you had Cardale and Braxton in the QB room. The 2017 season featured a freshman Dwayne Haskins and an injured sophomore Joe Burrow. While either of those QBs had more talent than JT Barrett, they were both far too young and inexperienced to thrive in Urban Meyer's system because it was designed to have a mobile QB. Haskins wasn't going to perform the read options nearly as well as JT or be able to scramble effectively. There's no guarantee he would have succeeded through the air consistently either. JT Barrett was proven, him over Haskins is a night and day decision. As for Burrow, he couldn't play anyway due to a hand injury but even if he could, he was not ready to take over. His junior season at LSU was average at best and it wasn't until his fifth and final year that he shined under center. For those reasons, REGARDLESS OF FUTURE SUCCESS, is why, at that moment (2017), neither of those QBs would ever play over JT Barrett. Simple. Case closed.
Come on now Wilson, I don’t even like Ohio State, don’t take me seriously

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Cowboy22 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:33 pm First of all don't say that Ohio State wasted him. It was Urban that wasted him. And yes he did lose his starting job to a broken hand but that doesn't explain why he didn't play the year before ahead of that thing that Urban Meyer called a quarterback wearing jersey number 16

Where's JT at now?
A better question, where is Haskins now?

As for using Joes first year at LSU as justification for anything is laughable. He had no spring practice with them, only 4 weeks in August, a new offense and the first time ever he was under center. Joe in Columbus would have put up the same numbers that Haskins did, however Joes toughness and character would have carried the day in their loss.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

What figured to be a routine interview with Carlos Dunlap on Thursday turned some heads around the Cincinnati Bengals as the conversation shifted to an apparent demotion for the defensive end. Dunlap shocked everyone by telling reporters he was blindsided by an apparent demotion on the depth chart. And Dunlap was just getting started, taking aim at his apparent struggling in the running game being the reason for his demotion. He had other words for the overall defensive scheme too as the team gets ready to take on the Ravens. Dunlap said it appears that he will be used as an edge rusher on third down against Baltimore. He's not very happy about it either. It appears we have a good game plan, and I would like to be a part of it.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Be a miracle Burrow dont get killed or hurt. I mean he gets smacked EVERY single play.

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

countywide35 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:54 pm Be a miracle Burrow dont get killed or hurt. I mean he gets smacked EVERY single play.
Agree 100%. What a joke of an offensive line ?

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

VetteMan wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:12 pm
countywide35 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:54 pm Be a miracle Burrow dont get killed or hurt. I mean he gets smacked EVERY single play.
Agree 100%. What a joke of an offensive line ?

Tom Brady couldn’t take the punishment at 40yrs old behind that line as what an early 20s Joe Burrow can. But eventually joe won’t last long either. Burrows takin some BIG TIME shots. All game every game. I hope he truly makes it cause he could be a Tom Brady. I I’m a Browns fa n first though. But root for Joe every game but two.

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

How many times did a lineman or linebacker just come waltzing in untouched? It's a miracle Burrow is still alive. If he had all the time Jackson did it's hard to tell how many yards he would have had. I hope he has a good insurance policy and invest his money wisely because I just don't see how he can last long like this. He needs a suit of armor behind that line.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

First time this year to be able to watch the Bengals play. This was a tough game to watch. The Ravens have a top defense which the Bengals had no answer for in the run or pass game. They started to put together a little at the end of the game for just 3 points. Burrow with all his talent may or may not be able to withstand all the abuse mentally and physically. The line does not even notice they have clearly missed on a blocks to scream watch out to warn Burrow.

Then reports that AJ Green told a coach on the sidelines during the game to trade him after he did not go hard on a play. After that he was said to be out with an injury. As the injury bug then just dealing with his attitude are wearing on the Bengals. With all his talent he is not the missing piece to get the Bengals to winning games. Time to get as much as they can for him in a trade.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

farmer wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:03 am First time this year to be able to watch the Bengals play. This was a tough game to watch. The Ravens have a top defense which the Bengals had no answer for in the run or pass game. They started to put together a little at the end of the game for just 3 points. Burrow with all his talent may or may not be able to withstand all the abuse mentally and physically. The line does not even notice they have clearly missed on a blocks to scream watch out to warn Burrow.

Then reports that AJ Green told a coach on the sidelines during the game to trade him after he did not go hard on a play. After that he was said to be out with an injury. As the injury bug then just dealing with his attitude are wearing on the Bengals. With all his talent he is not the missing piece to get the Bengals to winning games. Time to get as much as they can for him in a trade.
A.J. Green has been a great receiver for the Bengals over the years, the key words being "has been." I know they have the franchise tag on him, plus the injuries the past couple years have probably taken their toll. I hope that I'm wrong, but I'm just afraid that his best days are behind him. He just doesn't seem to be able to get any separation from the defensive back that is covering him, plus I'm not sure the all-out effort is there anymore. At his age and the injury situation the past couple years, unless he can show physically that he can still do the job, I doubt very much that there would be much interest from most teams.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

The Cincinnati Bengals have signed free agent Xavier Williams on Monday. He will take the roster spot of defensive tackle D.J. Reader, as the Bengals placed Reader on injured reserve Monday. Reader, a fifth-year player injured his left quadriceps in Sundays game. A postgame report indicated that Reader is expected to miss the rest of the season. Williams is a sixth-year player out of the University of Northern Iowa, who has spent time with the Cardinals (2016-2017) and the Chiefs (2018-2019), as well as a short time with the Patriots (2019).

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

I just read this, kind of a follow up to what farmer posted earlier. For one play on Sunday, Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver A.J. Green looked like he was a "lost sightseer" instead of a football player. As the first quarter was winding down against the Ravens, QB Joe Burrow threw a pass that was meant for Green. The pass sailed over Green's head and directly into the hands of cornerback Marcus Peters. Green didn't exactly pursue him with vigor. What exactly was he doing ? Was he bored ? Did he just wake up from a nap ? Granted, the ball was over his head, but he didn't even have his hands up. After Peters made the interception, Green started running next to Peters, and then actually ran away from him instead of trying to make a tackle. On it's face, it looks like a startling lack of effort on behalf of a player. It's no wonder that the Bengals coaches were upset. I just watched a video of the play a couple times. He looks as if he wanted to run interference for the guy that intercepted the pass, and then even started to drift away and didn't do anything. I know that during training camp, it seemed as if it was a tweaked hamstring every other day, something that prevented him from practicing. At this time, I'll be surprised if he's still playing for the Bengals by the end of the year.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

AJ Green has always been known as a Diva. Great talent but also a headache. Doing his own thing. Now it is with a new coaching staff who has not had him perform at that high. The money being spent on Green for the return on the field now is just hard to justify. This is his last year on contract. Better to get something for him. As well as not have to deal with him being a distraction. That all depends on Mike Brown's love affair for him is as strong as it was with Marvin Lewis.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

farmer wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:26 pm AJ Green has always been known as a Diva. Great talent but also a headache. Doing his own thing. Now it is with a new coaching staff who has not had him perform at that high. The money being spent on Green for the return on the field now is just hard to justify. This is his last year on contract. Better to get something for him. As well as not have to deal with him being a distraction. That all depends on Mike Brown's love affair for him is as strong as it was with Marvin Lewis.
I agree with what you're saying, and I think he's due over 18 million dollars this year regardless. What concerns me is it just doesn't seem as if the effort is there, not just this past game, but the whole season. I believe I watched the video of him on Yahoo Sports after the interception, I tried to find it again this morning but couldn't find it. It's no wonder the Bengals coaches were upset.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

If the Bengals are at all concerned about A.J. Green, coach Zac Taylor and Joe Burrow certainly aren't showing it. Green's been the subject of constant scrutiny this week after a bad performance in Baltimore, plus a sudden hamstring injury that flirted with mysterious territory. Burrow said that he and Green are still trying to get on the same page, we need some better chemistry. Bengal coaches and players are all saying and doing the right things when it comes to Green, though we'll have to see if the oft-injured wideout is able to give it a serious go Thursday and Friday, a few days removed from abruptly leaving a game and getting tagged as doubtful to return.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

The Cincinnati Bengals jumped out to a 24-7 advantage over the Indianapolis Colts on Sunday, only to cough up the lead by the start of the fourth quarter, eventually losing 31-27 to the Colts. The Bengals capitalized on a silly Colts mistake early, forcing a turnover and quickly scoring on their first offensive drive. Indeed, the Bengals casually made it 14-0 after another defensive stop and quick drive for a score. If things we're strange enough, the Bengals made it ugly with another stop, then a score to go up 21-0. Of note on defense, was the lack of snaps for guys like Carlos Dunlap and Geno Atkins. It might be something to watch moving forward, as older guys from the past coaching staff appear to be getting phased out. In typical fashion, Lou Anarumo's defense collapsed near the end of the second half and coughed up points. It appeared as if a lack of any adjustments let the Colts do whatever they wanted offensively in the second half. When you are averaging 7.2 yards per play, which the Colts were doing, it really didn't matter that the Bengals put up some good numbers early on, if the defense couldn't hold it together for four quarters.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

We already know what kind of an offensive line that Joe Burrow is having to play behind while starting his NFL career. He is getting hit 95% of the time even when he is getting rid of the ball as fast as he can. There may be another offensive line as bad as the Bengals, but there are very few. After watching the game against the Colts yesterday, I'm not really sure that there defensive line is much better either. Rivers, the Colts QB has been a pretty good QB for a number of years in the NFL, and not always were the Chargers that good of an all around team. At this stage of his career, he is pretty immobile as far as moving around or scrambling very much at all. Yet he stood there 98% of the time yesterday, with very little pressure at all, and his receivers would be wide open most of the time. I guess I just hate to see them blow a 21 point lead, still realizing that if anyone team could to it, it would be the Bengals.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

As if Joe Burrow doesn't have enough to worry about with his pathetic offensive line, which by the way can't block for the running backs and the run game either, it shouldn't be any surprise that the running backs are hurt or banged up 95% of the time. They spent a week dealing with A.J. Green and all his drama concerning the effort that he has been giving. I will still be surprised if Green is wearing a Bengals uniform next year. I briefly commented on this yesterday after the game with the Colts, about a couple defensive players, Geno Adkins and Carlos Dunlap and their diminished role as starters on the defensive line. According to multiple sources, Adkins and Dunlap are frustrated with their lack of playing time. They have basically been demoted to third down specialists. Where some of the confusion seems to be right now is the fact Xavier Williams, a free agent just signed this past week played more than Atkins, and Amani Bledsoe, a practice squad mainstay, played more than Dunlap. This might just be the struggle a new coaching staff faces while implementing it's vision, but rest assured this bit of drama is just getting started. Just maybe these and a few other changes just might need to be happening, I'm not sure but I don't think the Bengals had a very good record last year.

Return to “Football”