1953-54

Mister Bee
Varsity

Re: 1953-54

Post by Mister Bee »

Football results for 1953 with Belpre's score listed first.

This was Belpre's first season of playing on their own field which is now called Ralph Holder Stadium.

The Belpre Township Athletic Boosters and the Belpre Lions Club held fund raisers and built our first, and only, football field. Home bleachers and pressbox were made of concrete which was located on the west side of the field which is now the visitor's side. A small set of wooden bleachers was located on the east side of the field which is now the home side. This configuration would remain until 1969 when the stadium was upgraded but more on that in 1969.

As noted, fund raisers were held and one of them was the purchase of a lifetime seating pass for $50. These are still honored at the gate but it has been many years since one was presented as I am sure the original buyers have all passed on.

Pre-season training for the football team included the digging of the footers and laying the block for the bleachers and pressbox.

The field was lighted but not completed for the first home game vs McArthur. The dedication game came later in the season when the lights were operational. I think it was Jacksonville-Trimble game but I am still working on nailing that one down.

First touchdown scored on Belpre's field was by Belpre's Neil Flowers.

Middleport 0-39 L
McArthur 6-27 L
Parkersburg WV JV 34-39 L
The Plains 6-27 L
Chauncey-Dover 0-27 L
Jacksonville-Trimble 27-6 W
Pomeroy 7-25 L
Rutland 32-6 W
Byesville 39-0 W

Final results 3-6-0 our first losing season.

Return to “Southeastern Ohio Sports History”