Competitive Balance

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Competitive Balance

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

When these fans who whine about this private school thing, watches their team beat a private school you never him them whine then.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote:When these fans who whine about this private school thing, watches their team beat a private school you never him them whine then.
Is it not possible to win despite the odds being stacked against you? I personally don't "whine" about it either way, but the fact that a team may occasionally overcome a disadvantage doesn't make it less of a disadvantage.
nc green wave wrote:
The bottom line is that the majority of private schools are not successful which disproves that the successful ones are only successful due to the drawing area.
I don't think anyone ever said that the only reason that some are successful is due to the drawing area. But you really don't think that is an advantage? Whether certain schools capitalize on it or not, I don't see how you could dispute that it provides an advantage. It doesn't have to be the only factor.

nc green wave
Waterboy

Post by nc green wave »

No it isn't an advantage. As I've posted before NC doesn't have the access to the kids like you think they do. It is actually a disadvantage due to the financial burden, religion, etc. NC only has 250 students for a reason and it's not because they choose to limit the enrollment to stay in a certain division. We also have to play with whoever comes through our doors, almost all of which are legacy kids whereas their parents went there as did their parents, etc. Nothing will ever be completely fair across the board, especially in athletics.

king kong
Freshman Team

Post by king kong »

nc green wave wrote:No it isn't an advantage. As I've posted before NC doesn't have the access to the kids like you think they do. It is actually a disadvantage due to the financial burden, religion, etc. NC only has 250 students for a reason and it's not because they choose to limit the enrollment to stay in a certain division. We also have to play with whoever comes through our doors, almost all of which are legacy kids whereas their parents went there as did their parents, etc. Nothing will ever be completely fair across the board, especially in athletics.
Thank you for finally admitting that privates play down in competition! Those obstacles you listed, keeps your enrollment low.

Let's look at Newark, the city has 47,000 and is Ohios 10th largest city. Newark has 538 boys in grades 9-11 for 12.2% of the population. Newark Catholic has 101 for 2.2%. How good would Newark be if they could drop to D IV in football by keeping out those kids that bring nothing with them, you know who they are, convicted criminals, mentally disabled, and just apathetic students who only show up because the law says so.

These kids count as 1, just like the star QB, how many of them are walking around NC? NC has 50 kids playing football, Newark has 62! The kind of kids you attract make a difference, and public schools can't BLOCK a certain percentage of the population like privates!

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

If Lancaster can have near 100 out for football and have Fairfield Christian, Fisher Catholic and Fairfield Union taking students why can't Newark have larger numbers?

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
king kong
Freshman Team

Post by king kong »

Showing the numbers of players was to show that NC gets more out of their numbers due to the fact that they attract kids that want to participate. Public schools have the ability to get good numbers out, but they don't have the ability to play down.

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

king kong wrote:
nc green wave wrote:No it isn't an advantage. As I've posted before NC doesn't have the access to the kids like you think they do. It is actually a disadvantage due to the financial burden, religion, etc. NC only has 250 students for a reason and it's not because they choose to limit the enrollment to stay in a certain division. We also have to play with whoever comes through our doors, almost all of which are legacy kids whereas their parents went there as did their parents, etc. Nothing will ever be completely fair across the board, especially in athletics.
Thank you for finally admitting that privates play down in competition! Those obstacles you listed, keeps your enrollment low.

Let's look at Newark, the city has 47,000 and is Ohios 10th largest city. Newark has 538 boys in grades 9-11 for 12.2% of the population. Newark Catholic has 101 for 2.2%. How good would Newark be if they could drop to D IV in football by keeping out those kids that bring nothing with them, you know who they are, convicted criminals, mentally disabled, and just apathetic students who only show up because the law says so.

These kids count as 1, just like the star QB, how many of them are walking around NC? NC has 50 kids playing football, Newark has 62! The kind of kids you attract make a difference, and public schools can't BLOCK a certain percentage of the population like privates!
You just said what I was going to say, but much better. Green Wave is actually making the argument against his own position.

263 students in the school and 50 of them on the football team . . . I have no doubt that those 50 boys receive good coaching and work very hard at their craft, but those numbers speak to factors that go beyond hard work and quality instruction.

Our girls basketball team played against Africentric two years in a row, so I got to see this from another perspective. They were good and it was a really exciting game. I'd rather play them then 75% of our schedule. But I also saw that, whatever it is that makes them good, it isn't amazing coaching. They were getting shredded for layups time after time and they took forever to adjust. Their talent was about on par with our team, outside of one A+ player. If the coach was just amazing at developing that player, the rest of the players should have been better. The coaches were good enough and I don't mean to say they were poor, but nothing about them was so much better than 99% of the state that it would lead to state title after state title.
Last edited by efarns on Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

king kong
Freshman Team

Post by king kong »

The hypocrisy of saying, "poor us, who struggle to just get kids in the door, yet have hung multiple state championship banners in multiple sports!" Lol.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

NY had 50-51 kids play and we are about the same size as NC. We are just on the edge of being D6.
I can see the argument on both sides.
Not all private schools take advantage either through choice or financially of drawing from a larger area.
Some do go out and find kids to play football or whatever sport they are or want to be great at.
Separating the private schools into their own division is a bad idea. I do like the competitive balence measure and I hope it works.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
king kong
Freshman Team

Post by king kong »

Orange, yes there are privates that just want to educate and not put money into sports. However, public cannot block anyone due to financial, academic or behavioral problems.

One is a choice, the other isn't!

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

king kong wrote:Orange, yes there are privates that just want to educate and not put money into sports. However, public cannot block anyone due to financial, academic or behavioral problems.

One is a choice, the other isn't!
Youve made that clear. I'm not arguing that public's can't.

Are you arguing for separation? Competitive balance?

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
king kong
Freshman Team

Post by king kong »

Competitive balance

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

king kong wrote:The hypocrisy of saying, "poor us, who struggle to just get kids in the door, yet have hung multiple state championship banners in multiple sports!" Lol.
"Everything you do, do to the best of your ability."

nc green wave
Waterboy

Post by nc green wave »

king kong wrote:

OK, then let's apply a negative multiplier. That way you can take into account for every single one of those kids to which you refer to in the public school. After all this is about being fair right? My suggestion is what you should be screaming for because one public school could have far more of these types of kids in their school than another. But that wouldn't fit your agenda because the crappy football team would still be crappy even if they played in a different division. I've already stated that NC would not bump up to D5 with the multiplier. This is nothing more than an attempt to punish private schools. Just admit it.

nc green wave
Waterboy

Post by nc green wave »

king kong wrote:The hypocrisy of saying, "poor us, who struggle to just get kids in the door, yet have hung multiple state championship banners in multiple sports!" Lol.
Not even close to what I said.......but nice try. Way to put words in my mouth.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

Check out the number of Public Schools who won a championship this year and tell me again how the playing field doesn't need leveled. hahahaahahah

nc green wave
Waterboy

Post by nc green wave »

Check out the percentage of private schools that QUALIFIED for the playoffs and tell me again why the playing field needs to be leveled. Hahaha

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

You can dance and dodge all you want but the fact remains---public schools end up playing private schools that are All Star teams.

Play around with the numbers all you want----here's what I know---next year at this time we'll see private schools hoisting championship trophies way above what their numbers should be statistically. haahahahahaha

That has nothing to do with coaching or hard work------it's all recruiting.

nc green wave
Waterboy

Post by nc green wave »

And you can whine and cry all you want. NC stays D6 even with the multiplier. Now what??

nc green wave
Waterboy

Post by nc green wave »

Show me who's been recruited....you know nothing of what you speak. Sore loser. Sour grapes

Return to “Football”