Final Athens 24, Nelsonville-York 21

buckfan84
All Conference

Re: Final Athens 24, Nelsonville-York 21

Post by buckfan84 »

Though NY and Grandview Heights are tied for third but it has us listed above GH.

NYBUX
Varsity

Post by NYBUX »

Congratulations to Athens Great 1st half.
Congratulations to the Buckeyes Great 2nd half.

One thing to think about for both squads, Regular season is OVER, you both embark on a NEW season that few get the opportunity to realize.

GOOD LUCK and have fun in this extra run.

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

maniac66 wrote:I am A Ironton fan A-Town Big Dog ok never said we was better but you all go to a League and dominate and Ironton leaves a league for the simple reason when they joined it a 2 team league and when they did every one started to leave.
And Athens a much bigger team than everyone else goes to a conference 3 levels now 2 levels lower and now they brag about 10-0 where would you be if you stayed in the SEOAL? Yeah I know we will never know.
So prove every one wrong ok by going far in the playoffs!
I haven't seen one person on here suggesting we are world beaters for winning this game other than the implication you made yourself, Athens is making only their secon playoff appearence in school history and just completed their first 10-0 season ever (not the first undefeated just first 10-0) so expecting a deep playoff run really isn't logical. We are happy to be 10-0, we are happy to be outright TVC Ohio champions and we are more than happy to make the playoffs. I believe at the beginning of the season this would pretty well fill out most teams goals for the season.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

GH will be #3....look at the min avg win out, there is just a game tomorrow that makes the difference.

West @ N-Y

buckfan84
All Conference

Post by buckfan84 »

Thanks for the clarifiction. I wondered how that would be decided.

Tyler_Durden
Freshman Team

Post by Tyler_Durden »

Kinda would like to hear from:

Amarranavajas... "it will be a snoozer by halftime and I'll beat the rush out the gate by mid-third quarter..." You were almost right, I mean it was 21-0 at halftime.

Fanosports... "too much hype as the Buckeyes are clearly the superior team... mark my word: N-Y will win by 3 TDs." Okay, marked it. Guess we won't listen to you anymore.

I tried to tell you all, NY had not been hit all year the way they were going to get hit by Athens. Both teams are great, and both deserve to be praised. Wish them both the best next week.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Reason being is the 2 teams that play, GH has beaten both, so they will get the points to put them over the hump regardless.

side note: Portsmouth West will HIT YOU HARD!

buckfan84
All Conference

Post by buckfan84 »

On the West threads, the fans are already wondering where they'll play after they beat NY. NICE!!!!!

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

As I said on the other thread before it was locked, I would like to sincerely thank both teams for playing a game that lived up to the hype and then some. Both teams were sloppy at times and committed more penalties and turnovers than one person could count but both teams showed great heart and determination at other times. These two teams played one of the greatest games this rivalry or any other has ever seen and both teams should be proud of that fact. Athens was able to get the monkey off their backs and beat an excellent N-Y team that didn't quit. N-Y you should hold your heads high, the kids went head to head with the best statistical team Athens has ever fielded and gave them all they wanted and then some. Again Good Luck to both teams in WEEK 11!

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

Dang what game! Glad I got to witness this and certainly not the outcome I was expecting thought N-Y would win easily,,,Athens defense was really impressive for the most part,thought they might have been getting little worn down in the second half but their pass coverage was stingy all night long not letting N-Y recievers get much YAC,,,did anyone on the N-Y side see for sure if the guy stepped out of bounds on the punt return right before half,looked good from where I was standing but there was so many people too look around it was tough to see,I know one thing a spot on the fence was like hitting gold and you better not leave or it was gone,,must have been one of the biggest crowds ever down there if not the biggest, Good Luck to both teams next week!

diamondD1
JV Team

Post by diamondD1 »

Thanks to the crowd that came out from both teams, the atmosphere at R. Basil Rutter Field / Scott Riggs & Family Stadium tonight rivaled that of a particular university that also plays in this town. Everyone added to making this a special night for all the young men who participated.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

buckfan84 wrote:Though NY and Grandview Heights are tied for third but it has us listed above GH.
Grandview snuck by Liberty Union tonight with a touchdown in the last 5:00 for a 20-17 win. Grandview is one demensional with the QB Roach doing all the work, all the time. N-Y could beat Grandview by stuffing the box even though they're a # 4 seed and so will Portsmouth West #5 next week (they destroyed The Burg tonight) if eitel's predictions are correct. If Ashland Crestview is who N-Y plays next week, IMO that's the other team in this region N-Y can beat easily. They've played a very mediocre schedule even though they are 10-0. If the Athens - L. Elm game takes place per Joe Eitel that is the best Athens could have hoped for in that region in week 1 (Logan Elm lost to Amanda-Clearcreek 17-14 tonight). Week 2 will then start the great matchups. I found it funny listening to Rusty's call in show (105.5 or 101.7 ?) tonight on my way back to C-bus as this one fellow called in and said he feel's sorry for the next two opponents that N-Y and Athens play. All I'm gonna say on that is 7 turnover's by N-Y and 5 by Athens tonight won't get it done next week, I don't care who each of them play. Another guy called in and said it's great this year that 3 Athen's county teams are in the playoffs and asked a serious question about how long ago it was since that had happened, duh (how about last year). I wonder if some of these people who call themselves sports fans on these call in shows just show up on friday's to watch the games and really don't have a clue about sports past, present or future even in their own backyard.
Last edited by FANOSPORTS on Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

THE ATHENS BULLDOGS - 2011 TVC-OHIO CHAMPIONS

Congrats to the Boys in Green for one heckuva ball game tonight, who fought til the end...
Congrats to the Boys in Orange, for showing what you were made of for pushing this game into Overtime..

Tonight, The Athens Bulldogs defeated a very good Nelsonville-York Buckeyes squad...

I thought we would see a lot of turnovers due to the cold and wet weather like I mentioned of the 107.7 pregame and that was one of the big story lines in this ball game...

I thought both teams brought the smacks tonight, and definitely will feel this come tomorrow...both recipes of a good oldfashioned rivalry...Athens will most likely feel it a little less because of the win, and NY will most likely feel it a little more because of the loss...as it usually goes...

I would love to mention how wonderful it was looking over R. Basil Rutter Field and seeing the Athens side packed with fans, the NY side packed with fans, and no standing room area...that was how great tonight was for these boys because everyone was in The Plains for this one...($1300 split-the-pot should indicate)

Trying to stay positive, but I have to comment on the garbage maniac66 posted (will post) (or is thinking to post)...
Athens beat a strong NY team tonight, they beat Wellston, they beat Alexander, they beat Vinton County, they beat Meigs, they beat Chillicothe, they beat Warren,they beat Waverly, they beat Coal Grove, and they beat Galia Academy...

The Athens Boy can feel good about that, because they beat (10) teams on their schedule, going (10-0) against some very solid teams is almost impossible. They beat teams from D2-D5, mixed in their competition, and most likely will be the #2 Team in their Region in Division 3 which is your goal when the season starts. A team is not defined by the Division they are, they are defined by the way they play on the field...

About the Game-
Athens won the first half...
NY won the 2nd half...
Athens won in Overtime for the game in a nutshell...

Stand-Outs-
Mitch Rider, Austin Ziolkowski, Skylar Schwarzel and Michael Germano made some great plays tonight for Athens...
The Young boy from NY started getting his legs in the 2nd half and was strong in getting the Bueckeyes back into the ball game. Freer and #2(forgot his name) made some great plays as well...

The Difference -
NY stopped Sharp for most of the night which hadn't happened most of the season...
Athens stopped Dean for most of the night which hadn't happened most of the season...
With NY stopping the Athens run, they went to the air and made some great plays...

To End-
Congrats to both the Athens Bulldogs Program and the Nelsonville-York program for the greatest show anyone could of ask for and for both making it into the State Play-Offs...

Go Athens & Go NY
Go TVC
Go SEO Football Teams

PS...FANOSPORTS looking for some crow to eat!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

It was definitly one of the biggest crowds I have ever seen at R. Basil Rutter Field ... I have always told people that the 1990 game versus Jackson was the biggest I had seen their - but tonights crowd eclipsed that crowd by quite a bit ... Had there not been a new stadium built, tonights crowd would have seemed even bigger - fans were 3 and 4 deep along the fence (in the old stadium those people would have filled the track up around the field.)

I CAN'T BELIEVE NOBODY HAS mentioned how important the missed extra point was that allowed the game to stay at 21-21 ... I mean, that was the game - Athens did not score again in regulation ... NY would have won 22-21.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

buckfan84 wrote:According to Joe Eitel, Athens is playing Logan Elm.
Joe isn't entirely updated yet. Athens will be playing Jackson.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

questionmark wrote:THE ATHENS BULLDOGS - 2011 TVC-OHIO CHAMPIONS

Congrats to both the Athens Bulldogs Program and the Nelsonville-York program for the greatest show anyone could of ask for and for both making it into the State Play-Offs...

Go Athens & Go NY
Go TVC
Go SEO Football Teams

PS...FANOSPORTS looking for some crow to eat!

Nope, not eating any crow this week. I got a front row parking spot in front of the ticket booth tonight (arrived at 6:30) and was standing on the track tonight at the end zone and got a good close-up look at both teams. I'm actually glad it turned out that way so N-Y can get a win vs Ashland Crestview and Athens can play the easiest opponent it could have drawn in their region Logan Elm (lost to A-C tonight 14-17). You guys wouldn't have wanted to play at Kettering Alter or Jonathan Alder next week and N-Y still keeps a home game for a win in the first round next week. Now week 2 will get real interesting.

buckfan84
All Conference

Post by buckfan84 »

93Bulldog wrote:It was definitly one of the biggest crowds I have ever seen at R. Basil Rutter Field ... I have always told people that the 1990 game versus Jackson was the biggest I had seen their - but tonights crowd eclipsed that crowd by quite a bit ... Had there not been a new stadium built, tonights crowd would have seemed even bigger - fans were 3 and 4 deep along the fence (in the old stadium those people would have filled the track up around the field.)

I CAN'T BELIEVE NOBODY HAS mentioned how important the missed extra point was that allowed the game to stay at 21-21 ... I mean, that was the game - Athens did not score again in regulation ... NY would have won 22-21.

I'm pretty sure we just didn't want to make a high school kid feel worse than he already does.

Shoulda Woulda Coulda but that's how the game goes sometimes.

G.W.A.
All Conference

Post by G.W.A. »

I drove 2hrs to see this game and it was well worth the money. It didnt matter too me who won. I also had a great view of some of the plays that some ny fans complained about and they were cheering with there hearts. Best job i have seen by the refs in years. congrats too both teams and lose the turnover bug before next week.

Tyler_Durden
Freshman Team

Post by Tyler_Durden »

Tyler_Durden wrote:FANOSPORTS... "too much hype as the Buckeyes are clearly the superior team... mark my word: N-Y will win by 3 TDs." Okay, marked it. Guess we won't listen to you anymore.
Sorry FANOSPORTS, you pompously said these things, so they are naturally going to be served back to you... in the flavor of crow.

buckfan84
All Conference

Post by buckfan84 »

I now predict someone will say how bad football is in SE Ohio.

1,2,3....... :122245

Return to “Football”