best game ever played!!

sider
All Conference

Re: best game ever played!!

Post by sider »

Mad_Dogg wrote:
sider wrote:The best game I was ever a part in was 2006 West vs. Portsmouth. The final score was 21-20, it ended with Portsmouth going for the win and coming up short on the 2 point conversion. It was the first time we ever beat Portsmouth at the Rock

what about the 2002 regional final between portsmouth and west at the tank.

I believe that one was a mud bowl, all I know is that was one of those games where we were less talented, but the weather helped us get the win. Much like the State-Semifinal game

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

sider wrote:
Mad_Dogg wrote:
sider wrote:The best game I was ever a part in was 2006 West vs. Portsmouth. The final score was 21-20, it ended with Portsmouth going for the win and coming up short on the 2 point conversion. It was the first time we ever beat Portsmouth at the Rock

what about the 2002 regional final between portsmouth and west at the tank.

I believe that one was a mud bowl, all I know is that was one of those games where we were less talented, but the weather helped us get the win. Much like the State-Semifinal game

thats for sure. it was definatly one of the best games i've ever seen

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

THe NY-Liberty Union Plaoff game from this past season. What a game. I thought I was going to have a heart attack.

grizzlynatural
Varsity

Post by grizzlynatural »

Orange and Brown wrote:THe NY-Liberty Union Plaoff game from this past season. What a game. I thought I was going to have a heart attack.

Yeah no crap 8)

CharlieHustle
All Conference

Post by CharlieHustle »

Probably the Portsmouth-Burg game in the O7-08 season. Burg had the game won, then fumbled. Portsmouth recovered the ball with only 10 seconds left, then Shane Porter would throw for the game winner. Spartan Stadium was completely filled, just a great atmosphere and a great game.

Also the Ironton @ Burg game this past season was a dandy to watch.

Fr Glockner
Riding the Bench

Post by Fr Glockner »

1963 Ironton St. Joe vs. Coal Grove (ineligible player and funky time keeping)
1964 Ironton St. Joe vs. Rock Hill (SJ 6 - 0)
1971 Ironton St. Joe vs. Coal Grove (SJ 15 - 14)

What do you think RRR and TTT?

socfan
All Conference

Post by socfan »

Neutron Man wrote:Boy I wish I could remember the stats on him, but in the 01 playoffs. Watching DeShawn Wynn run all over the Burg at Ed Miller was a treat. Even though I was cheering for the home team, it was amazing! A man among boys for sure!

I believe he even had a bum leg and wasn't but 80-85%.
When they took him and most of the starters out Burg made it look closer than it really was.

They never took the starters out. Wynn had a great game with 328 yds rushing.

Reading got a 39-15 lead in the fourth before the Pirates were able to score two touchdowns (and two 2pt conversions). The Pirates also recovered their third straight onside kick attempt (going back to the Portsmouth game one week earlier) giving them a chance to tie the game. They actually had two possessions to tie the game.

What a great game was the Portsmouth-Wheelersburg game from 2001. Portsmouth had a 21-7 lead until 5:30 left in the game; Wheelersburg a great comeback, with Andrew Burleson throwing the ball all over the field. The 'burg got within 21-19 and went for two to tie the game (the xp on the previous td was missed; the first missed xp of the season for the Pirates). After a pass interference call on the first conversion attempt, Pirate Jared Chamberlin ran out the right tackle and appeared to cross the goal line. However, the back judge says he did not cross the line and the conversion was ruled "incomplete." in a very controversial call.

What a rought stretch of 3 games (we had also to West 7-0 for the league title in Week 9) to end my senior football season.

ghostwriter
Varsity

Post by ghostwriter »

Ironton St. Joe vs. Coal Grove....1963 OVC Championship....

Ironton vs. Ashland....1965 5th game of the season at Ashland....Ironton went 1-9 on the season....

Ironton vs. Germantown Valley View....1999 Great Comeback Win....

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

The 2002 regular season game between Portsmouth and West. The game ended up 27-18 in the favor of the Trojans after a late touchdown, but the game was really decided when PHS sacked West late in the 4th quarter at about mid field on a 4th down.

The PHS Burg game from 2002. The Burg took a 21-0 1st quarter lead with the help of 3 successful onside kicks. PHS rallied back to win 42-35 in what was a great game by both teams.

The 2001 PHS vs. Ironton game in the playoffs at Tank. Another great game in this storied series, the Trojans avenged an 16-15 defeat at the hands of the Tigers which snapped a 15 game regular season winning streak by the Trojans. Without that mid-season loss the Trojans would have won 27 games strait.

2004 Ironton at PHS. The Fighting Tigers won 8-0 after the Trojans mishandled a punt return late in the 4th quarter. This one was a true deadlock. With the fumbled punt all the momentum swung to the Tigers and they were able to capitalize and get the victory.
Last edited by Trojan_FB_Alum on Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

earp
S

Post by earp »

This one has to rank right up there! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHkABO0VwCg

buckeye83
Riding the Bench

Post by buckeye83 »

for me it was portsmouthwest vs. youngstown ursaline 2002 state semi final

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

cghornet10 wrote:ehh comeon fuzz, wipe the cob webs out

Coal Grove was down 21-0 at half time and won the game on their last drive 42-41.. Fairland tried a tricky play on the next kickoff and Justin Allen picked off the ball on the throwback. Hyland broke 400 and scored the winning two point conversion on an outside pitch, pulling about 4 guys into the endzone.

Are you sure you aren't thinking of the game at Fairland? At Fairland (your sophomore year) the Grove was down 21-0 in the first quarter and QB Turvey got knocked out of the game and had blood running down his arm and ED had to come in. Fairland's QB was Michael (or Matt?) Hill and he kept on throwing bombs and I believe Huff had a big game. And didn't Pat Roush make the insane catch in the back of the endzone? And it was on Fairland's homecoming night, too. . . because I remember players telling me that some of them got spit on as they were leaving the field :lol:

The game I was talking about happened my senior year (your junior year) at Coal Grove. I did a "grass angel". :122249 :lol:

Steven A.
Waterboy

Post by Steven A. »

Donnie Johnson (GAHS) 5 touchdown performance vs. Logan. The play before halftime showed how special the kid was. Gallipolis was 60 to 70 yards from scoring and Logan is in a prevent and the kid ran the ball in for a touchdown with no time left on the clock. The greatest run I have seen personally. He also ran a kid over in the third Quarter at the goal line and I believe that kid is still feeling that hit. I just don't understand how he did not play D1 ball.

grizzlynatural
Varsity

Post by grizzlynatural »

fuzzhead wrote:
cghornet10 wrote:ehh comeon fuzz, wipe the cob webs out

Coal Grove was down 21-0 at half time and won the game on their last drive 42-41.. Fairland tried a tricky play on the next kickoff and Justin Allen picked off the ball on the throwback. Hyland broke 400 and scored the winning two point conversion on an outside pitch, pulling about 4 guys into the endzone.

Are you sure you aren't thinking of the game at Fairland? At Fairland (your sophomore year) the Grove was down 21-0 in the first quarter and QB Turvey got knocked out of the game and had blood running down his arm and ED had to come in. Fairland's QB was Michael (or Matt?) Hill and he kept on throwing bombs and I believe Huff had a big game. And didn't Pat Roush make the insane catch in the back of the endzone? And it was on Fairland's homecoming night, too. . . because I remember players telling me that some of them got spit on as they were leaving the field :lol:

The game I was talking about happened my senior year (your junior year) at Coal Grove. I did a "grass angel". :122249 :lol:

You'll never forget that special moment until the day you die. 8) ................................................

:lol:

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Nah, the 04, 05, and 06 games between Fairland and CG were all really great games and I was at all of them. I was just on the sidelines for the 05 one plus it was a home game so it sticks out a bit more. But they all kinda run together. . .

ironmen1987
SE

Post by ironmen1987 »

I can remember a game between Jackson/Warren in the 90's. They combined for over 1000 yards of offense if i'm not mistaken. Both teams left their defense at home but it was a fun game to watch.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

donnie johson against logan.

with all respect to logan was a fine night to be blue :mrgreen:

california kid
Varsity

Post by california kid »

2006 green vs east for the soc championship game tied in overtime east ball 4th and 1 on the 1 yard line they put they ball in the endzone and win the game the most heartbreaking game ever

Return to “Football”