Year of the Ugly SEOAL

Chieftain
Varsity

Year of the Ugly SEOAL

Post by Chieftain »

2011 shaped up to be an extremely ugly year for the SEOAL. Of the 6 teams, only two had winning records against extremely weak competition, one was .500 and the rest had losers, including one of the ugliest years for Logan.

The playoffs saw only one team get in and even Jackson's unbeaten record did not get them a home play-off game. They are going nowhere. Even if they beat Athens in the first round , the probable second round game is probably J. Alder, who I would expect to wipe the field with Jackson.

With the exception of Logan, who was overscheduled for the talent they had this year, the rest of the league had weak opponents again and still could not win. Very disappointing in what is the biggest and "best", using that term loosely, league in SEO. Indeed, most of the rest of SEO again fared no better than the SEOAL as most playoff teams should see the usual demise of losing as soon as they play teams outside the area.

I just don't see the league getting any better either. Whats the answer ?

Chieftain
Varsity

Re: Year of the Ugly SEOAL

Post by Chieftain »

Final 2011 Records

Team League Overall

Jackson 5-0 10-0

Gallia 3-2 6-4

Chilly 2-3 3-7

Portsmouth 2-3 3-7

Warren 2-3 5-5

Logan 1-4 1-9

Overall the league won 28 games and lost 32.

Chieftain
Varsity

Post by Chieftain »

Non-league records

Jackson 5-0
Gallia 3-2
Chilly 1-4
Portsmouth 1-4
Warren 3-2
Logan 0-5

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Paladin_II wrote:2011 shaped up to be an extremely ugly year for the SEOAL. Of the 6 teams, only two had winning records against extremely weak competition, one was .500 and the rest had losers, including one of the ugliest years for Logan.

The playoffs saw only one team get in and even Jackson's unbeaten record did not get them a home play-off game. They are going nowhere. Even if they beat Athens in the first round , the probable second round game is probably J. Alder, who I would expect to wipe the field with Jackson.

With the exception of Logan, who was overscheduled for the talent they had this year, the rest of the league had weak opponents again and still could not win. Very disappointing in what is the biggest and "best", using that term loosely, league in SEO. Indeed, most of the rest of SEO again fared no better than the SEOAL as most playoff teams should see the usual demise of losing as soon as they play teams outside the area.

I just don't see the league getting any better either. Whats the answer ?
Most people on here don't like to here what either you or I say "II" but here's the best scenario I see for the future for these teams in SEO. Let Chilly and Logan both go their separate ways to whatever league they choose. The TVC needs to open up and let Jackson, Gallipolis and Warren in. The SOC should allow Portsmouth entrance to their league along with non-league Ironton if they would come. I'm old enough to have seen the population descrepancies narrow over the years from what it was decades ago and these other conferences (TVC and SOC) don't have a leg to stand on for not admitting these above mentioned teams into their leagues other than the old biases that have been used for years, most of which are no longer valid. If the above scenarios were to happen SEO would have tougher competition (especially the DIV / DV teams) throughout the regular season by playing some bigger teams. The DIII's and DIV's could schedule a tougher non-league slate each year with teams in central or west central ohio to keep computer points coming and also from the competitive standpoint to help prepare better for the playoffs teams they would face. Just thought I'd throw that out there because year in, year out the SEO teams usually (other than Ironton over the years) seem to get knocked out early and some of them by very wide margins in the playoffs because they haven't faced bigger or better teams during the year.

BLUE84n82
Riding the Bench

Post by BLUE84n82 »

Know for a fact Waverly, Alexander, and Meigs were sent invites to join, as well as Athens and Marietta sent invites to rejoin the SEOAL. Dont know if any have decided or even considered.

starbase_318
Varsity

Post by starbase_318 »

The obvious answer is to disband football in SEO and allow the urban powers have at it. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

With the cost of traveling most of the schools in Southeastern Ohio will continue to play each other and will build their records on that.
Unless they play each other most school will go down in the first round come play off time.

But I'm backing all of them---Go SEO

JHS08
Waterboy

Post by JHS08 »

Maybe the SOC, SEOAL, and TVC should just merge into a super conference like in college ha. I hope the SEOAL does something to get more teams because i would hate to see one of the oldest leagues in Ohio die out

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Paladin_II wrote: With the exception of Logan, who was overscheduled for the talent they had this year, the rest of the league had weak opponents again and still could not win.

How did Portsmouth play a weak schedule? They played a 7-3 D2 team in Wilmington, a playoff bound 9-1 West, a 7-3 Wheelersburg, a 6-4 playoff bound Ironton. Yes we had to play a small Cincinnati school that was bad, but that was only because we had to fill the spot left by Marietta. Without the Cincinnati team PHS’s non league games, have a winning average of 7.25.

Then we played the league, where we are the smallest school being almost D5 when everyone else is D3 or larger, most being D2.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

With the state/feds cutting money to schools they need to have money for education first. So the added costs of traveling over 3 hour round trips to play a game is not as important. As well as that cost to fans and family of players. Schools are suppose to be education first.

Playing good competition will improve your team improve. But not all schools can afford to do that. So what else can be done is a better question? Just because it maybe better in football for football that may not be best for the other sports. This is not like college where schools are looking at making big money with tv contracts. The big money is made a the gate for home games. So playing closer and rival schools help to bring in big gates. I have read on here that teams that travel long distances do not travel as well. Even some big schools bringing less than 100 fans. So even on return trips from some schools you will not have big gates.

So would it be wiser for schools to put more into their offseason programs. As well as get football teams from the Pee Wee to High School all working on the same goals. Learning to do things the right way. Where you earn it on the field not who your parents are or know. Many times to many outside influences and politics get in the way. This also is one reason not to switch leagues so that you may not burn bridges as concerned with playing some schools.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Closer schools do bring in more money.

I have watched high school football score and game play given on Columbus stations and it looks like a lot of those schools in that area don't come close to filling the stands. I lot of times the big schools want you to come to them--they just don't travel well.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Even when Simon Keaton from Ky came to play Ironton the crowd was small. YTB said it looked like they brought no more than 30 fans with them. So it is not just the Columbus schools.

ItownHosscat
S

Post by ItownHosscat »

BLUE84n82 wrote:Know for a fact Waverly, Alexander, and Meigs were sent invites to join, as well as Athens and Marietta sent invites to rejoin the SEOAL. Dont know if any have decided or even considered.
I bet there was another invite sent out too....

Chieftain
Varsity

Post by Chieftain »

To answer the Portsmouth question, you need to look at the schedule -- Wilmington won 7 games ,almost all of which were against smaller, weaker schools who had losing records.Strength of schedule for them was awful. Thus 7-3 doesn't mean much. Further, when you are losing to smaller division teams , as Portsmouth did, you don't enhance yourself as burdened even if those teams make the playoffs. Finally, Portsmouth only won 3 games and you can't really call the Trojans "overscheduled". I minced words with no SEOAL teams -- none played a decent schedule ( except for overmatched Logan.... they were just bad), including Champ Jackson, which was a shameless mess of weak sisters. The SEO teams in the playoffs aren't going far, another sign of wekness for the PHS schedule. Can't see anything that qualifies PHS with a decent schedule of tough teams. So, once again, SEOAL schedules weren't very tough.

pappy1
Varsity

Post by pappy1 »

noreply66.....your posts referencing costs says it all. The SEO teams need to play each other to have less travel expenditures and larger gate receipts. If they don't do this high school football will fold at some of these schools. Just keep playing and enjoying high school football. It may not be often, but once in a while a state contender will come along.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Paladin,

I have told you several times in the past that I am very much in agreement with you about scheduling quality competition. I have talked about how Jackson needs to improve its non-conference schedule, and I think they are in the process of doing that. Ironton and St. Charles were quality games. Both of those teams lost to a lot of very good football teams. Vinton County will not be on the schedule next season, and you may end up being very surprised by their replacement. There is nothing set at this time, but Jackson is exploring some pretty interesting options for Week 3. Weeks 4 and 5 will be Athens and Wheelersburg next season. Athens is a D3 school that went 10-0 this season. I don't think you can complain about that. Wheelersburg, while D5, is one of the most consistent programs in SE Ohio. Can't complain there either. Anyway, once again, I agree with you. Jackson needs to increase the difficulty of their non-conference schedule. No need to go crazy and start scheduling teams they can never compete with, but improvements need to be made, and it appears that steps are being taken to do so.

Now, let's get to the real season that you started this thread. It's not actually to have a real discussion. It's to insult SE Ohio as usual. I really don't get why you enjoy doing that so much since you're from here, but you're entitled to your opinion. We all get what you're saying, and you're right for the most part. However, when it comes to having tact...well, you have none.

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

ItownHosscat wrote:
BLUE84n82 wrote:Know for a fact Waverly, Alexander, and Meigs were sent invites to join, as well as Athens and Marietta sent invites to rejoin the SEOAL. Dont know if any have decided or even considered.
I bet there was another invite sent out too....
And I bet I know who it was..........TTOTTB

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

So, will Ironton be accepting that invitation or have they declined?

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

According to Drew Pasteur’s site Portsmouth has a strength of schedule 0.687 11th best in all of D4. Looks pretty good for a team that is only about 5 boys away from D5

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

ironman02 wrote:So, will Ironton be accepting that invitation or have they declined?
You are asking the wrong person.........I dont remember saying it was Ironton.........

Return to “Football”