Year of the Ugly SEOAL

Chieftain
Varsity

Re: Year of the Ugly SEOAL

Post by Chieftain »

02--

actually, the reason to start the thread was the question it asked in the opening post--

"whats the answer?"

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

But you ask the same question constantly. Has the answer changed? No.

The remarks that you get to make in the process are the real reason.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

TigerTownTurkey wrote:
ironman02 wrote:So, will Ironton be accepting that invitation or have they declined?
You are asking the wrong person.........I dont remember saying it was Ironton.........
haha...who else would it be? I wasn't trying to be a jerk about it. I just thought maybe you knew.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Paldin so what about my first post on your question. Since sometimes long travel is not possible.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

What are play-offs?

Always awesome to hear a crotchety old man harping about kids who are undefeated and participating in the state playoffs.

Your act is old.
Take your ball and go home.

pappy1
Varsity

Post by pappy1 »

ironman02 wrote:Paladin,

I have told you several times in the past that I am very much in agreement with you about scheduling quality competition. I have talked about how Jackson needs to improve its non-conference schedule, and I think they are in the process of doing that. Ironton and St. Charles were quality games. Both of those teams lost to a lot of very good football teams. Vinton County will not be on the schedule next season, and you may end up being very surprised by their replacement. There is nothing set at this time, but Jackson is exploring some pretty interesting options for Week 3. Weeks 4 and 5 will be Athens and Wheelersburg next season. Athens is a D3 school that went 10-0 this season. I don't think you can complain about that. Wheelersburg, while D5, is one of the most consistent programs in SE Ohio. Can't complain there either. Anyway, once again, I agree with you. Jackson needs to increase the difficulty of their non-conference schedule. No need to go crazy and start scheduling teams they can never compete with, but improvements need to be made, and it appears that steps are being taken to do so.

Now, let's get to the real season that you started this thread. It's not actually to have a real discussion. It's to insult SE Ohio as usual. I really don't get why you enjoy doing that so much since you're from here, but you're entitled to your opinion. We all get what you're saying, and you're right for the most part. However, when it comes to having tact...well, you have none.
Before I retired I knew people that derived their pleasure in life from sitting on a bar stool. They only worked, ate, slept and set on a bar stool. I felt sorry for them, there is so much more to life than sitting on a bar stool. Before his life on earth is over I hope that Paladin figures out that there are much better things to do in life than bash SEO football, which seems to be his barstool.

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

ironman02 wrote:
TigerTownTurkey wrote:
ironman02 wrote:So, will Ironton be accepting that invitation or have they declined?
You are asking the wrong person.........I dont remember saying it was Ironton.........
haha...who else would it be? I wasn't trying to be a jerk about it. I just thought maybe you knew.
I dont think you were trying to be a jerk, you had a very legitimate question, the problem is I cant answer it but if I do get any info that is worth repeating I will PM u......

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Good deal. Thanks.

Chieftain
Varsity

Post by Chieftain »

farmer -- I don't buy that. Its possible to set your schedule up with home and homes with , lets say, two really good schools in the Columbus area, for example. As long as you make one home & one away each year that means you only have ONE long trip a season ( and many games in SEO aren't "short" ones, lol). We aren't talking much money over and above what you would pay to schedule other SEO teams, as travel there is still a "problem".

That would give you 2 challenge games each & every year and a gauge at where you are & where you are going. Everyone could do that.Just find a metro area to travel too to play bigger or better teams.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Yes but the one home game with a Columbus team not bringing many fans back takes away money. As well as not as many of your fans going to the long away games. You can say your not buying it but it is a reality for some schools. Where people in charge do not see it as important to spend money on long trips when you can play closer games. Also some do not want to set up long games still trying to figure out how much funding will be available as things continually being cut.

What about improving the offseason programs? As well as getting to make it one program from Pee Wee through High School. Getting all the coaches working together. As well as all sports programs working together to improve. Which could also include a more intense PE program. You asked what is the answer so maybe thinking a little different and improving what you have could be another option. Which would only enhance a program anyway.

WitnessProtection
All Conference

Post by WitnessProtection »

Some questions in regard to what the "problem" might be ...
(1) What is the quality of the weight room facilities at SEO schools?
(2) Are SEO schools running proper off-season conditioning programs?
(3) Are the players consistently participating in off-season conditioning programs?
(4) Are players/teams attending summer football camps?
(5) Do SEO families/schools/communities have necessary resources to support the above activities?
(6) What is being done to improve players' "football IQ" from year to year?

sports junkie
JV Team

Post by sports junkie »

How was Logan's schedule so good? They played Div. 1 Lancaster who went 5-5, they played a good Pick. North team that went 8-2. They also played 6-4 reynoldsburg. They played Div.2 Warren- bad, Chillicthe- bad, they played Div.3 Jackson and Gallia Academy. They played Div. 4 Portsmouth and Div. 5 NY. So overall they played 5 schools in Div. 1 and 2. And 5 teams below Div. 2. I sure would not call that an overwhelming schedule. And none of the Div. 1 schools even made the playoffs. Once again Paladin you lose.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

I'll say something on this thread that will surely get ripped but SE Ohio plays some good football but because of geography, economics and demographics, it is really not an equal subset of the rest of Ohio. I wish there were some way to have our own seperate regional playoffs. I don't think you will see a team from SE Ohio ever compete again seriously for a state championship. That doesn't mean there won't be some compelling football played here. I wish we could arrange to play off like teams from Ohio against teams from WV or Kentucky. That is more apples-to-apples. You know deep down what I say is true but don't like to admit it. PII is just saying what he is observing.

buckcraze
JV Team

Post by buckcraze »

Easy on the poor scheduling there Palladin, Chilly's schedule went 57-43 with only three teams with losing records for a .570 winning percentage and four playoff teams on the schedule. I have to agree with my bretheren from Southern Ohio, find ways to improve the programs i.e. weightrooms, conditioning, football I.Q.s, and coaching. It is obvious you are not a financial analyst, in these times long travel for athletics is not, and will not be in school system budgets any time soon. It is not economically feasible.

WitnessProtection
All Conference

Remember, this isn't just about football expenses; it's about total athletic department expenses. My wife worked in the treasurer's office for one of the SEOAL school districts and would fill me in about travel expenses (bus driver, gas, etc.). Figure in expenses for football, volleyball, cross country, soccer (for those that have it), golf, tennis, basketball (boys/girls), wrestling, baseball, softball, track & field, swimming & diving (for those that have it), band.
ADs have to take into consideration their entire athletic budget for the entire school year and not just football. While football and maybe basketball are the only sports that generate any legitimate revenue, it's generally not enough to cover all of the expenses incurred during the season.
Let me be clear that I'm speaking of my wife's experience with the district in which she worked. But there is the possibility that it could be true elsewhere.
Last edited by WitnessProtection on Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

Two words: Population Density

WitnessProtection
All Conference

Ah! Boogerred, my brother!

Chieftain
Varsity

Post by Chieftain »

Population density has nothing to do with it when there are 6 divisions and you play the playoffs in your division. Teams up here who could play next door neighbors don't always do that and often are traveling 2-3 hours for a game. Lots of games between Cleveland , Columbus, Cincy and Ytown teams.

It still boils down to playing better competition and getting used to the better quality of competition. And that happens in every corner of the state, even in cow country, small town NWO, very similar to SEO. BTW, the "cost" arguement is another red herring. Many schools up North are in financial trouble too, but still travel to get good competition, so that arguement is bogus. Schools are strapped for money. Nothing new there.

Chieftain
Varsity

Post by Chieftain »

As an example, I cite someone much closer to you in "SEO". I'm extremely proud of a school I formerly coached at, Zanesville Rosecrans, a D-VI school. They joined the ECOL this year and I thought they were way overmatched . As it was, they finished 6-4 and made the playoffs. But to get there they had to play, with a team of only 20-22 boys , a schedule of one D-II, 2 D-IIIs,2 D-IVs, one D-V and 4 D-VIs, which included playoff teams Danville ( D-VI) and Coshocton ( D-IV). Included was a win over D-II Marietta, 28-0. Now I can tell you with complete certainty, Rosecrans does not and has never recruited. Even back in the day, Rosecrans has always been a D-VI (or Class A) school that was forced to play much bigger teams and won. That included while I was there D-II St. Charles (won both games), then D-II Meadowbrook ( including a 50-0 win),and taking 3 of 4 games from N-Y. Licking Valley I was 2-0 against.And at one point, we joined the PVL, which included Woodsfield ( now Monroe Central) where we won the Championship and had Top Ten teams. This year , at times with injury, they only had 17 kids for some games.

Up here, there are tremendous schedules put together where most teams do not duck competition and thrive on it. They don't always win every year , but they do win and when they do, they go far in playoffs. Competition has always been the key.

Hopsing
Riding the Bench

Post by Hopsing »

To my memory...Chillicothe has played the following teams over the past 10 years and while they have had a few very good years, a few average years, and lately, a few really bad years the level of competition theory doesn't seem to hold up. Big Walnut , Brookhaven, Upper Arlington, Logan Elm, Sheridan, Olentangy, Grove City, Watterson, Ironton. Logan, Lancaster, Jackson, Olentangy Liberty, Canal Winchester, and Pickerington Central. ALL are perennial powerhouses and playoff teams. Throw in the Portsmouths, Gallia Academies, Mariettas, etc during their good seasons and this is a B!&*h of a schedule year in and year out.

In my opinion, WHEN Chillicothe HAS talent they compete and even win. When they lack talent they take a behind the shed A** whooping. The problem lies within this point. Scheduling very good to great teams when you have talent is productive and desirable. But without talent the coach and team gets ridiculed and shamed.

Problem is at a school like ( fill in ANY SEOAL school ) the talent level ebbs and flows. And just changing opponents to fit your current talent pool is not feasable. Transportation, costs, availability, etc prevent that from happening. When the original 10 school SEOAL was formed I thought it would be a great fit as the schools share common socioeconomic properties and MOST have had success in football at different points. I thought that in any given year Logan, Ironton, Jackson, Zanesville, Gallia, Portsmouth, or Chillicothe would provide stiff competition for each other and Marietta, Athens, and Warren also occasionally has a rich talent pool.

But now with ONLY 6 teams left teams are forced to find competition for 5 of their games from outside the league. Weeks 3, 4, and 5 are difficult because most leagues have more than 6 teams therefore they are playing more league games and are not available for scheduling. A case in point would be Chillicothe picking up DeSales for the next 2 seasons.

Anyway, with the long ramble behind me I beleive that talent at your school provides more of an opportunity to be successful than scheduling can privide.

Return to “Football”