D III R12 Qtrs: #7 Jackson (10-0) at #2 Athens (10-0)

jottings
SEOPS H

Re: D III R12 Qtrs: #7 Jackson (10-0) at #2 Athens (10-0)

Post by jottings »

After opening with Athens and closing with Jackson, I'd have to favor Jackson. Ironmen had too many horses Friday night in 27-6 win over blue Devils.

However, Athens surprised everybody this year by going 10-0. Bulldogs must have made some adjustments later in the season. That win over Nelsonville-York may have put the Bulldogs in the right fame of mind for the playoffs.

It should be an outstanding game.

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

Gotta go with Jackson in this one,,I think their size and combination of skill players will wear down the dogs,I will say that Athens defense is impressive.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

C-Bolt wrote:Gotta go with Jackson in this one,,I think their size and combination of skill players will wear down the dogs,I will say that Athens defense is impressive.
The Athens defense:

23 INT during the season ... 28 forced fumbles ... 20 recovered.

That's about 4 forced turnovers a game - that can get you a lot of wins throughout a season.

JHS4EVER
JV Team

Post by JHS4EVER »

ROLL ON IRONMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NYBucksDad
JV Team

Post by NYBucksDad »

GOOD LUCK ATHENS BULLDOGS!!!!!!!!

Wish I could come watch your game but have to go watch the BUCKEYES play.

pappy1
Varsity

Post by pappy1 »

Below is a GAHS fan's view of Athens and Jackson. I am just a fan, have never coached and its been well over 50 years since I played. I personally believe it is very difficult for most fans to give accurate game predictions based on watching two teams play a common opponent. Varying strengths and weaknesses are usually not correctly analyzed by the average fan.

Teams can change dramatically between week one and week ten, which is when these games were played.

Gallipolis was leading Athens 10-0 going into the fourth quarter. They had multiple starters out and many players were going both ways. The heat took its toll, and they lost 15-10.

Gallipolis had moved the previous years tackles to guard, and one of them did a very poor job of picking up the blitz. That really hurt their offensive production, which was a weak point for them anyway.

Sharp made an in stride one handed catch for Athens first touchdowns. It was a fantastic play. Winners have players step up and make plays when the game is on the line. Sharp did this at a crucial time of the game.

Their second touchdown they just lined up and ran between the tackles and scored on a defense that had many two way players and was wore down from the heat. They had not been able to do this earlier in the game.

If Gallipolis was playing Athens this week, I would think Gallipolis would win.

Jackson beat Gallipolis by the largest margin of any of their four defeats. The speed of Osborne was the biggest determining factor in this game. Speed is a glaring weakness of Galliipolis. There was one drive Friday night when Jackson was 3 and 15, also 3 and 16 in the same drive. Osborne was trying to pass and Gallipolis was pressuring him but couldn't catch him and he ran for a first down on both plays. They scored on that possesion.

Jackson stopped Gallipolis twice inside the five yard line after long drives. Once after Gallipolis took the opening kickoff and marched down the field. As previously mentioned, winners step up and make plays and Jackson's defense did this twice last Friday.

Gallipolis moved the ball on Jackson but had enough trouble with Jackson's small fast defensive lineman that it was difficult to maintain drives.

In GAHS's losses to Athens, Ironton and Logan I thought they should have won against these opponents. I did not think that at Jackson Friday night. Jackson just beat them.

Athens may have enough speed to contain Osborne where Gallipolis could not. It is just a matter of time until Jackson plays a team that will have a big offensive line that will handle Jackson's small defensive line and put up a lot of points. Is Athens going to be that team? I would pick Jackson to win, but as stated earlier, I am just a fan. Good luck to both teams. My hope is the winner of this game wins four more.

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

Ole Blue,

You are a clown. Jackson may beat Athens, but let me remind you of some facts. Athens, playing in the TVC Ohio finished a lot higher in their region than Jackson did playing in the mighty SEOAL. The computer points dont lie when it comes to strength of schedule.

maniac66
All State

Post by maniac66 »

Spartan wrote:Ole Blue,

You are a clown. Jackson may beat Athens, but let me remind you of some facts. Athens, playing in the TVC Ohio finished a lot higher in their region than Jackson did playing in the mighty SEOAL. The computer points dont lie when it comes to strength of schedule.
No they don't lie but they do not show the truth either when you play in a League where you are the biggest team in that league and you play smaller schools.
And don't say well the League demands we play these schools.
You scheduled Coal grove a Div 5 team so don't beat that chest to much because you chose to be a big fish in a small pond!

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

pappy1 wrote:Below is a GAHS fan's view of Athens and Jackson. I am just a fan, have never coached and its been well over 50 years since I played. I personally believe it is very difficult for most fans to give accurate game predictions based on watching two teams play a common opponent. Varying strengths and weaknesses are usually not correctly analyzed by the average fan.

Teams can change dramatically between week one and week ten, which is when these games were played.

Gallipolis was leading Athens 10-0 going into the fourth quarter. They had multiple starters out and many players were going both ways. The heat took its toll, and they lost 15-10.

Gallipolis had moved the previous years tackles to guard, and one of them did a very poor job of picking up the blitz. That really hurt their offensive production, which was a weak point for them anyway.

Sharp made an in stride one handed catch for Athens first touchdowns. It was a fantastic play. Winners have players step up and make plays when the game is on the line. Sharp did this at a crucial time of the game.

Their second touchdown they just lined up and ran between the tackles and scored on a defense that had many two way players and was wore down from the heat. They had not been able to do this earlier in the game.

If Gallipolis was playing Athens this week, I would think Gallipolis would win.

Jackson beat Gallipolis by the largest margin of any of their four defeats. The speed of Osborne was the biggest determining factor in this game. Speed is a glaring weakness of Galliipolis. There was one drive Friday night when Jackson was 3 and 15, also 3 and 16 in the same drive. Osborne was trying to pass and Gallipolis was pressuring him but couldn't catch him and he ran for a first down on both plays. They scored on that possesion.

Jackson stopped Gallipolis twice inside the five yard line after long drives. Once after Gallipolis took the opening kickoff and marched down the field. As previously mentioned, winners step up and make plays and Jackson's defense did this twice last Friday.

Gallipolis moved the ball on Jackson but had enough trouble with Jackson's small fast defensive lineman that it was difficult to maintain drives.

In GAHS's losses to Athens, Ironton and Logan I thought they should have won against these opponents. I did not think that at Jackson Friday night. Jackson just beat them.

Athens may have enough speed to contain Osborne where Gallipolis could not. It is just a matter of time until Jackson plays a team that will have a big offensive line that will handle Jackson's small defensive line and put up a lot of points. Is Athens going to be that team? I would pick Jackson to win, but as stated earlier, I am just a fan. Good luck to both teams. My hope is the winner of this game wins four more.
Anyone that keys on Osborne will get ate by Ervin and Landrum. Jackson's big boys will push you and these two will punish you.

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

We played 6 common opponents: Gallia Academy, Chillicothe, Warren, Vinton Co., Wellston, and Waverly.

Jackson played: Logan, Portsmouth, Ironton, and St. Charles.

Athens played: Nelsonville-York, Alexander, Meigs, and Coal Grove

I'm a Bulldog fan through and through but sometimes computer numbers are decieving, While our non-common opponents had much better combined records than theirs (where 2nd level points come from), don't mistake that as the teams we played are better than the ones they played. The SEOAL teams along with St. Charles and Ironton played difficult schedules and them losing games to good teams made the Jackson numbers fall more than they would have expected in a normal year.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Outstanding post, A-Town Big Dog! Very well said.

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

maniac66 wrote:

No they don't lie but they do not show the truth either when you play in a League where you are the biggest team in that league and you play smaller schools.
And don't say well the League demands we play these schools.
You scheduled Coal grove a Div 5 team so don't beat that chest to much because you chose to be a big fish in a small pond!
You act like we are the only mid size school that schedules teams that are smaller than us, by the way two of the four non league games we scheduled are bigger than us (Warren and Chillicothe), one the same size(Gallia), and two smaller(Waverly and Coal Grove), most would call that balanced. There isn't anything wrong with playing smaller schools if they are quality teams, IMO.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Computer points don't measure strength of schedule as many believe on their thoughts of strength of schedule.

Jackson could've gained more points by beating Symmes Valley individually than they did for winning at Ironton....that in itself buries that thought....unless you believe Symmes Valley would win at Tank.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

And beating Trimble, Ports East, South Gallia would've been more points than St Charles.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Waterford was worth more computer points than St Charles.

I think St Charles would beat Waterford by 40-50 points.

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

Hey Maniac,
Whose thumping their chests. Who is running off at the mouth for the Athens contingent. Nobody, that is who. You are just a hater like the other clowns. So why dont you and the other clowns go back to the circus and stay off our thread.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

GO DOGS!!! U CAN DO IT!!!

buckman
Freshman Team

Post by buckman »

Go Dogs!!!!

maniac66
All State

Post by maniac66 »

Spartan wrote:Hey Maniac,
Whose thumping their chests. Who is running off at the mouth for the Athens contingent. Nobody, that is who. You are just a hater like the other clowns. So why dont you and the other clowns go back to the circus and stay off our thread.
Won't you quit name calling and be still.
Athens plays in a League that every team is smaller sure play if your Div 3 play a 4 or a two but when you play div 5 teams and brag about how great you because of the computer points yeah there is a problem.
Jackson played a few lesser teams but they they tried to schedule teams of strength.
So don't be calling me names I voiced my opinion as everyone else does and I would like nothing better than a Jackson win by a point or 50 points.
but you play lesser teams and don't say you don't balance is playing teams equal to you not lesser!

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Maniac is the reason why some people do not care for some of the Ironton fans. Who have to put down another team. They think they are better than others. That is not all Ironton fans but some of them. Athens is building a program back that was down. They have made positive steps to get there. Both Jackson and Athens have played the schools on their schedules and have won all of those games. Scheduling teams years in advance their play can change just like Logan has run into this year. Athens had to make positive steps in improving their program from the past years. Now they are 10-0 with a chance to win.

Return to “Football”