Rio Grande or Shawnee football? Why Not?

madpolecat
All State

Rio Grande or Shawnee football? Why Not?

Post by madpolecat »

I have read that many small colleges across the country have started up non-scholarship football programs as a way to boost enrollment.

What do you think of this idea? It seems like a win-win situation to me. The school gets some new students, and a few (around 75-100) young men get a chance to continue playing football.

Does anybody know how Kentucky Christian went about starting their football program? How did Lake Erie College near Cleveland go about starting football?

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... /704230366

madpolecat
All State

Re: Rio Grande or Shawnee football? Why Not?

Post by madpolecat »

I know that many have done it. I guess I am wondering what is taking SE Ohio so long...

... then I realize that I still see mullets and big hair around here, and I have my answer.

sandman
Freshman Team

Post by sandman »

$$$!!!

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

Can we get some of that Stimulus Package money to help out? :lol: :lol:

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

mullets and big hair :lol: :lol: :lol: JOE DIRT is alive

Tiger-Brother
Riding the Bench

Post by Tiger-Brother »

Took my brother up to Shawnee State for a visit and we spoke to the A.D. and he said that Shawnee is looking into starting a football program in the near future (they bought Spartan stadium). Don't know how many years it will take but that is what I heard.

3sportSeason
Waterboy

Post by 3sportSeason »

because if they dont recruit local people will cry like in basketball because they have nobody from the local area

FarAwayFalcon
Varsity

Post by FarAwayFalcon »

Tiger-Brother wrote:Took my brother up to Shawnee State for a visit and we spoke to the A.D. and he said that Shawnee is looking into starting a football program in the near future (they bought Spartan stadium). Don't know how many years it will take but that is what I heard.

I haven't heard this one yet, did hear that they were wasting, oops, I mean spending money for a brand new turf soccer field. :122249 They have enough talent walking the halls down there any day of the week to compete with most small colleges. They will eventually do it, I just hope sooner than later.

Incognito
Varsity

Post by Incognito »

I think Rio getting football is a bad idea. Shawnee on the other hand it would be a great idea. Think about it, this part of Southern Ohio loves their football, especially the Portsmouth area. I dont see why they wouldnt start one up, if they are going to blow money on a soccer field for a team that wins maybe 10 games a year.... :122249

FarAwayFalcon
Varsity

Post by FarAwayFalcon »

Incognito wrote:I think Rio getting football is a bad idea. Shawnee on the other hand it would be a great idea. Think about it, this part of Southern Ohio loves their football, especially the Portsmouth area. I dont see why they wouldnt start one up, if they are going to blow money on a soccer field for a team that wins maybe 10 games a year.... :122249

The past seven years the soccer program is 20-112-7, no reason why they haven't given football a shot yet.

Incognito
Varsity

Post by Incognito »

IRONFALCON wrote:
Incognito wrote:I think Rio getting football is a bad idea. Shawnee on the other hand it would be a great idea. Think about it, this part of Southern Ohio loves their football, especially the Portsmouth area. I dont see why they wouldnt start one up, if they are going to blow money on a soccer field for a team that wins maybe 10 games a year.... :122249

The past seven years the soccer program is 20-112-7, no reason why they haven't given football a shot yet.

That's almost as bad as the Bengals' record. :( ....

Incognito
Varsity

Post by Incognito »

gahs4ever wrote:That is a misprint about Rio soccer. In the last decade they have been NAIA National Champions, and they are always ranked in the Top Ten in the country.

I think he was referring to SSU's soccer program.

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

When it comes to print media and URG, it just seems like every article has been submitted by Mark Williams, the SID at the college which begs the question if he didnt send in articles, would the college sports programs even be covered in the local paper?

That would just depend upon whether Bryan Walters at the Gallipolis paper wants to upset the high school mommies or the college folks, because he can only be in one place at once...

GAHS7462
All Conference

Post by GAHS7462 »

With the mony problems at Rio,football is no where in sight.

battlecats
JV Team

Post by battlecats »

The turf soccer field at SSU is not just for the soccer program but for intramural sports as well. Its actually called the multi-purpose field as it will used as much by non soccer players, it also may have a running track around it and Shawnee is planning a recreation center right across the street from it but that will be a little while longer, the turf field will go in this summer sometime.
Someone said that SSU bought Spartan but I dont think thats the case, they have plans to build a baseball/softball complex on the East side of campus but if they ever want to start a football program it should start at Spartan.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Bryan Walters right now is covering three counties all by himself. So he is trying to cover 10 high schools by himself. That is an almost impossible job to do!

FarAwayFalcon
Varsity

Post by FarAwayFalcon »

battlecats wrote:The turf soccer field at SSU is not just for the soccer program but for intramural sports as well. Its actually called the multi-purpose field as it will used as much by non soccer players, it also may have a running track around it and Shawnee is planning a recreation center right across the street from it but that will be a little while longer, the turf field will go in this summer sometime.
Someone said that SSU bought Spartan but I dont think thats the case, they have plans to build a baseball/softball complex on the East side of campus but if they ever want to start a football program it should start at Spartan.

Well I didn't figure a state funded university could keep it all for one sport, but you get my drift, sinking more money into a pathetic soccer program instead of funding a football program that could at least compete. If any local school had a record of 20-119 they sure wouldn't be putting a new field for it. Football at shawnee has no good reason not to happen, it sure isn't a lack of money with them footing the bill for this new facility.

Gobigblacks
JV Team

Post by Gobigblacks »

mtswngrvsg wrote:Bryan Walters right now is covering three counties all by himself. So he is trying to cover 10 high schools by himself. That is an almost impossible job to do!

I feel for the guy but they (newspaper) don't want the help. Point Pleasant High School has offered a writer for free for each sport and they do not return calls or e-mails and have no interest. So really, what can you do?

Duckhook
Waterboy

Post by Duckhook »

IRONFALCON, if you are refering to the Rio Soccer team they were 19-4-1 this year alone.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

gobigblacks-I would be willing to bet that if the article was written and emailed in the paper would run it if it was from a reliable source.

Return to “Football”