Post by The Instructor »

Ohio Smoking Ban From Ohio.gov

http://www.odh.ohio.gov/alerts/ohiosmokingban.aspx

Ohio Smoking Ban Frequently Asked Questions

How do I file a complaint?

By phone: 1-866-559-OHIO (6446) [Smoking Ban Enforcement Line]

By e-mail: NoSmoke@odh.ohio.gov

How long has Ohio had a smoking ban?

Voters approved the indoor smoking ban in November 2006, making Ohio the first Midwestern state and the first tobacco-growing state to enact such a ban.

Who is affected?

ODH estimates there are some 280,000 public places and places of employment in the State that are covered by the ban. Anyone who visits or works in these places should no longer be exposed to secondhand smoke.

Are any places exempt from the ban?

Under certain conditions, private residences; family-owned businesses without non-family employees; certain areas of nursing homes; outdoor patios; and some retail tobacco stores are exempt.

What are the penalties for violating the smoking ban?

Businesses: Warning letter, first violation; $100, second violation; $500, third violation; $1,000, fourth violation; and $2,500, fifth and subsequent violations. Note: fines may be doubled for intentional violations at the discretion of the enforcement entity and may be assessed on a daily basis for continuing violations.

Individuals: Warning letter; first violation; $100, second and subsequent violations.

Retaliation against Complainant: Warning letter, first violation; $1,000, second violation; $2,500 third and subsequent violations.

What are their proprietors’ obligations under the smoking ban?

They are essentially threefold: prohibit smoking, remove ashtrays and post no-smoking signs with the toll-free enforcement number – 1-866-559-OHIO (6446).

§ Prohibit smoking in any “public place” or “place of employment." For definitions of a “public place” and “place of employment,” please follow this link to ORC 3794.01 Definitions.ORC 3794.01 Definitions

§ All “public places” and “places of employment” must post conspicuous signs at each entrance. The signs must be clearly legible and shall contain a toll-free number for reporting violations. ODH has designed two sample signs which, when properly placed, meet the requirements of ORC 3794.06 (A) Posting of Signs.

Please note: These are not the only signs that meet the statute, but are sample signs that, when properly placed, meet the requirements.

Follow this link for a pdf of a sample color sign (8.5 x 11 inches).
Follow this link for a pdf of a sample color sign (5.5 x 8.5 inches).

Follow this link for a pdf of a sample black and white sign (8.5 x 11).

Follow this link for a high resolution vector (.eps) sample of a color sign (8.5 x 11).

Follow this link for an editable sample of a color sign in Quark XPress (8.5 x 11).

Follow this link for an editable sample of a color sign in Adobe Illustrator (8.5 x 11).

Follow this link for a pdf of a sample 4x6 color sign or a sample 4x6 black and white sign that meet the requirements currently proposed in the draft rules.

Follow this link for a high resolution vector (.eps) sample of a color sign (4x6).

Follow this link for an editable sample of a color sign in Quark XPress (4x6).

Please note: If the no smoking symbol ( ) is used, it must, in accordance with ORC 3794.06A be printed in color.

§ All “public places” and “places of employment” must remove all ashtrays and other smoking receptacles, pursuant to ORC 3794.06(B).

In other words, affected entities must 1) prohibit smoking; 2) post “No Smoking” signs including the telephone number 1-866-559-OHIO (6446) for reporting of violations; and 3) remove all ashtrays and other smoking receptacles.

greenandwhiteboy
Riding the Bench

Re: TOBBACO USAGE IN SCHOOLS

Post by greenandwhiteboy »

and i wonder why people go to wv? or ky? haha

bean counter
Waterboy

Post by bean counter »

I think it is terrible. The dipping is also bad. Why do kids have to succomb to peer pressure? They feel they have to carry the tobacco product to be seen as cool with their buddies!!!!

awesomepossum
Freshman Team

Post by awesomepossum »

Solution: Do not start using tobacco, or quit if you have.

pappy
Freshman Team

Post by pappy »

its a dirty dirty habit 8)

AxGrinder
Freshman Team

Post by AxGrinder »

What the HECK!!!!

Those of you that think smokeless tobacco should be allowed at any school function have been smoking something! That is absolutely ridiculous! Coaches, teachers and school personnel are suppose to be role models for the students. Kids see enough of this at home and out in public, do they really need to see their coach with a dip in his mouth. To me it isn't any different than a coach smoking a cigarette during the practice or game. It is not acceptable. Period. There are no tobacco rules and laws for a reason.

Show enough will power and moral responsibility and don't do it at school or while you are in a position of authority over kids. This goes for youth sports coaches too!!!! They are the biggest offenders in my neck of the woods.

Boonedawg
S

Post by Boonedawg »

I bet you probably think your better than someone who smokes or chews by that answer. You anti-smoker nazi's really don't get the whole freedom thing do ya? Tax em' till they quit, ain't that right.
Friggin panzy liberal jerks who can't mind their own busness and let folks do what they want really irk me.

I'm just waiting for some little a-wipe to come b!tch to me about smoking......They are going to get a nice earfull when I put a camel out in their ear. Save the go to jail crap too, been there done that, don't care....but 1 thing is for sure there will be 1 little nosy jerk who thinks twice before opening his pie hole to a smoker. I pay taxes to smoke you don't pay for air. don't like it get the hell away from me then.

I wish i was born about 50 years earlier, people are such canyasses today. America is doomed.

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

I think the issue is no tobacco in schools. It is the law in Ohio. I do not think anybody was questioning your manhood.

55buckeyes98
All Conference

Post by 55buckeyes98 »

If there was an issue it was about role-modeling for young people. Some may have a handle of their habit, but I know several who struggle with it and wish they could quit. Kids do what people that they look up to do... hey man you can drink, smoke, chew, or do what you do... I think that most would just prefer that you don't do it at a public event (like a football game) out in the middle where a lot of kids would see it, etc. I do not agree with people smoking at a football game unless it's in a designated area nor do I see it appropriate for coaches to chew /dip during any kids practices or games. What the fans do is fine with me, but keep it as discrete as possible.

Boonedawg
S

Post by Boonedawg »

What bugs me is the whole "I'm offended and think a child is going to be scarred for seeing an adult smoke or chew." attitude. Were Bear Bryant or Woody Hayes bad role models? hmmmmmm?

55buckeyes98
All Conference

Post by 55buckeyes98 »

Smoking and Chewing were viewed very differently in the eras of Bryant and Hayes... you can't compare the different times... fact is smoking and chewing are addictive habits, but a choice people make. No it is not against the law, but thousands of people die from it or have different types of illness from it. My grandmother got lung cancer from smoking and weighed about 60 pounds when she passed... but when she grew up smoking was cool and everyone smoked everywhere. Times have changed and smokers are definitely in the minority. The majority would respectfully hope that people would not smoke in an area where non-smokers and/or kids would be around it. Chew can usually be hidden and the spit can go into a 20 oz. bottle instead of on the ground so I feel it is not as big of a deal, but I still do not think coaches should do it around the players. Coaches = role models

Return to “Football”