SOC2 2009

Who wins?

Total votes: 0

marshallman
Varsity

Re: SOC2 2009

Post by marshallman »

After talking to fans from SOC schools who attend practices and scrimmages I'm getting the impression that:
Minford is loaded- West is loaded- burg is loaded and Valley is loaded all with talent.
I have not heard anything on NW or Waverly but I think Waverly is a dark horse and is going to be up there. NW is a shot in the dark.
SOC could end up with 4 teams with winning records good enough to make the playoffs. Last year was 3. Either Valley or Waverly could make the 4th.
I think this year they will beat up each other. I don't see any 10-0 records this year.
9-1, 8-2 and 7-3 records

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Minford is loaded- West is loaded- burg is loaded and Valley is loaded all with talent.

We've heard that before! Bottom line, these are 16 to 18 y/o kids whom are going to give it all they can and hope they come out as the winner.

Here's to an injury free season for all.

I'm rooting for the pirates to win the soc and region. If they don't, I will cheer for my soc neighbor.

nobodyspecial
Riding the Bench

Post by nobodyspecial »

Incognito wrote:
Faclons Forever wrote:No I'm pretty sure this is Mark Evan's junior year. If he did leave it could leave a bit of a gap on the line.

I think he was talking about Tyler Evans.

I believe Tyler Evans is playing for Otterbein this year.Several local boys will be going there. Player from Valley and name isn't comingto mind and two from East,Hood and Brian Collins.

Faclons Forever
Freshman Team

Post by Faclons Forever »

Oh, the older Evans. I did hear that Mark transferred to ND. That would be a big help on the line for them. Someone over 180 lbs. :lol: :lol: :lol: Any truth in that?

oldcoachb
JV Team

Post by oldcoachb »

Faclons Forever wrote:Oh, the older Evans. I did hear that Mark transferred to ND. That would be a big help on the line for them. Someone over 180 lbs. :lol: :lol: :lol: Any truth in that?

I think he did transfer to N.D. Their line won't be that small with Staker, and Weems.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

marshallman wrote:
I think this year they will beat up each other. I don't see any 10-0 records this year.

I think they'll beat each other up to the point that only two could make it in. I'll take Wheelersburg to go through SOC play with no more than a single conference loss. For Minford and Valley, the road to the playoffs goes through Coal Grove. With such a brutal SOCII schedule, the Coal Grove game is almost a must-win (if Minford had lost to CG last year, I may be wrong but I don't think they would have made it). Minford will drop two conference games, I think. Valley will drop at least two conference games. 7-3 is borderline. 8-2 is the safest bet and to get there, both will almost certainly have to pick up a hard-fought W at Lemaster Stadium.
Also, South Point will play Wheelersburg, West, and Valley at their places. . .

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

fuzzhead wrote:
marshallman wrote:

I think they'll beat each other up to the point that only two could make it in. I'll take Wheelersburg to go through SOC play with no more than a single conference loss. For Minford and Valley, the road to the playoffs goes through Coal Grove. With such a brutal SOCII schedule, the Coal Grove game is almost a must-win (if Minford had lost to CG last year, I may be wrong but I don't think they would have made it). Minford will drop two conference games, I think. Valley will drop at least two conference games. 7-3 is borderline. 8-2 is the safest bet and to get there, both will almost certainly have to pick up a hard-fought W at Lemaster Stadium.

This could be possible...Burg could would more than likely with make it in with an 7-3, and would probably even steal the 7th or 8th seed with a 6-4 record, they have the toughest schedule. Minford will have big point non-conference games against Coal Grove, Oak Hill, and possibly Wellston...but if they don't beat Coal Grove I doubt they'll make it in...I could see them losing two conference games. I doubt Valley will make they playoffs to be honest, I would imagine they continue to improve, but they were manhandled by Coal Grove last year, and I can't see them getting that much better. West's non-conference schedule this year is definitely down, the only big point game will be Portsmouth, and possibly South Point, they will have to at least go 8-2 to make playoffs...and don't forget about Waverly who could be the wildcard in all of this it will be interesting to see it play out...

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

sider wrote:
fuzzhead wrote:
marshallman wrote:

This could be possible...Burg could would more than likely with make it in with an 7-3, and would probably even steal the 7th or 8th seed with a 6-4 record, they have the toughest schedule. Minford will have big point non-conference games against Coal Grove, Oak Hill, and possibly Wellston...but if they don't beat Coal Grove I doubt they'll make it in...I could see them losing two conference games. I doubt Valley will make they playoffs to be honest, I would imagine they continue to improve, but they were manhandled by Coal Grove last year, and I can't see them getting that much better. West's non-conference schedule this year is definitely down, the only big point game will be Portsmouth, and possibly South Point, they will have to at least go 8-2 to make playoffs...and don't forget about Waverly who could be the wildcard in all of this it will be interesting to see it play out...

Valley will be better. I'm not saying they will be good enough to beat Coal Grove, but I don't see them getting pounded.

West's problem is the jump to Division IV. Portsmouth will not be a big point game. I just don't see the Trojans winning more than 4-5 games. West plays several OVC teams so there will be points there, but region 15 is fairly deep. West may need to go 9-1 and hope for a few things. South Point and Chesapeake are in the top 2-3 of the OVC, Portsmouth wins 6-7 games, and the rest of the SOC wins a lot of non conference games. Some of the biggest games for the playoff hopes of Valley, Minford, West, and the Burg are Northwest's games against Manchester, Fairfield Christian, East, and Symmes Valley. And then Waverly's games with Piketon, Jackson, Wellston, and Vinton County. This is on the premise that these teams can beat the Tigers. And that is no easy feat as Waverly will be much improved in 09.

I don't see Waverly cracking the top 8 in Region 12. The teams in Cincinnati are always strong and Circleville, Logan Elm, and the Dayton C-J will be right there. I really think that West may be the 2nd best team in the SOC, but not be in the playoffs due to region 15. Westfall, Ironton, Clearcreek, Hartley, and Marion Pleasant are always in the playoffs. Then you throw in the fact that Monroe and Fairfield Union are in this region, West can't really afford more than 1 loss, maybe 2 if they beat the Burg.

Minford, Wheelersburg, and Valley all have a chance in Region 19 with up to 3 losses. This region is down with Ready, West, Monroe all now out.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Yeah, Wheelersburg has been a near automatic playoff team for a good while now; they command respect just because everyone knows who they are, that's why I just can't see them losing more than maybe a game in the SOC this year and I doubt they'll even lose one.
The only reason I mentioned Valley was the fact that they're in region 19 and people are talking about their talent level. I don't think they'll make the playoffs, but I think they'll finish in the top 15 or so in region 19.
West played a very weak non-conference schedule last year and it didn't hurt them, but it will now, considering that most of the really good teams they play will be smaller than they are. And, as you mentioned, region 15 is loaded. . .

Valley will be better. I'm not saying they will be good enough to beat Coal Grove, but I don't see them getting pounded.

I agree. CG played really well on defense in last year's game and forced some turnovers to make it look lopsided. This year will be closer, but Coal Grove has traditionally owned Valley and I'd say they'll beat them by 2 TDs.

Minford, Wheelersburg, and Valley all have a chance in Region 19 with up to 3 losses. This region is down with Ready, West, Monroe all now out.

Eh. . . I agree to an extent. Wheelersburg is a shoo-in, IMO. You've also got Nelsonville-York, who's always a near automatic playoff team, Fredricktown who's made the playoffs two out of the past three years (and finished in the top 10 all those years), and the team that EVERYONE seems to be ignoring - the reigning regional champ Liberty-Union who will return a boat-load of starters. On top of those guys, you have teams like Paint Valley and Coal Grove who have flirted with the top 10 the past few years and are looking to fill the spots left by the teams you mentioned. If I were a betting man, I'd say Minford makes it by the skin of their teeth once again. . .

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Oh. . . and in region 19, I forgot to mention Ridgewood. They've been in the region for two years in a row now, I believe, and they've made the playoffs both those years.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

fuzzhead wrote:Oh. . . and in region 19, I forgot to mention Ridgewood. They've been in the region for two years in a row now, I believe, and they've made the playoffs both those years.

you are right.

2007: they lost to wheelersburg 21-13
2008: they lost to west 26-7

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Ok, so you've got 6 playoff teams from last year back:

Wheelersburg

Nelsonville-York

Fredricktown

Ridgewood

Minford

And they all have been pretty consistent about making the playoffs the last few years. On top of that, you've got more good teams who have moved into the region this year. It's going to be air-tight - little to no room for error.

West Side Pride
All Conference

Post by West Side Pride »

West has Fairland in one week, does anyone know how Fairland will be?

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

New coach, good backfield, average to poor line, may throw quite a few passes. . . if West beat them last year, they should beat them this year.
West will be 1-0 after week one barring a pretty big upset.

SPAMONY
Varsity

Post by SPAMONY »

fuzzhead wrote:New coach, good backfield, average to poor line, may throw quite a few passes. . . if West beat them last year, they should beat them this year.
West will be 1-0 after week one barring a pretty big upset.

you mean a HUGE upset dont you fuzz

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

I meant what I said and I said what I meant. . . stranger things have happened. :lol:

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

fuzzhead wrote:Ok, so you've got 6 playoff teams from last year back:

Wheelersburg

Nelsonville-York

Fredricktown

Ridgewood

Minford

And they all have been pretty consistent about making the playoffs the last few years. On top of that, you've got more good teams who have moved into the region this year. It's going to be air-tight - little to no room for error.

Is Bishop Ready in Region 19 this year?

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

No they moved out, as did Johnstown-Monroe, Heath, and others.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

Did anyone go to the Minford vs. East scrimmage?

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

Minford 42 East 6. Minford had 3TDs called back.

Return to “Football”