Athens County Stadiums

Where is the best place to watch a game in Athens County?

Total votes: 0

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: Athens County Stadiums

Post by 93Bulldog »

buckfan84 wrote:Gotta agree with you on NY's stadium. The staff is one of the friendliest ever. Band Boosters and Athletic Boosters feed the opposing team after the game. Great place for playoff games. Not sure about Athens hosting a game besides their own this year, parking could be an issue there but it looks like they are putting parking in closer to field.
Parking isn't too bad at Athens - they just use the student & faculty lots that the school uses, plus on the side of the road leading up to the school - and then their is a large lot next to the gymnasium ... But we'll see tonight (with a big crowd expected) about how bad or good it is ... I know the folks down at The Plains Elementary will have a hard time finding a spot. Some genious scheduled a big Holloween party for the kids from 5:30 pm to 7:30 pm ... The biggest game of the year- thus far - and they schedule a Holloween party and dance at the Elementary school ... Classic move I must say ... Teachers/administrators/aides, etc..etc... will be stuck their probably way after 7:30 ... kids who want to go to the game are having to choose between the party or game (or will have to leave early so they can attend the game).

I hate to keep 'dogging' Athens - but man - some of these decisions and actions just have me scratching my head here.

buckfan84
All Conference

Post by buckfan84 »

Someone listened. Green stuff removed from fence. However, parking is a nightmare.

The Enforcer
SEO

Post by The Enforcer »

The Ultimate Lancer wrote:The Alumni group at Trimble is incredible. Seems as if they could undertake a stadium project and give that place the love it deserves. Because its an old stadium and is reminiscent of the good old days it could and should be the best place to watch a game.

Give it new lights, fix and up and use the locker rooms. Heck, house the home team there and make the visitors walk the bridge. Sell tickets through the old window again. Set up temp seating in the back of the end zones for the two bands and give stadium seats to the fans. Put in a top notch watering system and new sod. None of that would cost much and would make the place great.
They still sell tickets through the old windows, the only problem with fixing up the old locker rooms is the flooding at the stadium, everytime the water rises it floods the locker rooms, And as far as alumni getting the stadium fixed up , I would be willing to donate time and Money to help

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

buckfan84 wrote:Someone listened. Green stuff removed from fence. However, parking is a nightmare.
Uh, no the green fence was still there.

buckfan84
All Conference

Post by buckfan84 »

Up behind home bleachers it's gone. Saw several people watching from there

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

There is a small opening (the entire fence is not covered) - but most of it is ... There is about 3 or 4 car lengths that you can see the field - but the fence is much closer to the guard-rail now and most of the fence is covered in green ... People use to sit up on the hillside and were able to see over or threw the old fence from lounge chairs.

buckfan84
All Conference

Post by buckfan84 »

Ah I see.

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

The parking situation at Athens will get even better next season when the old softball field is turned into a parking lot. Also I believe that the School never allowed students to get in free for home games, I think if you check into it places like Wendys etc. donated the money to the school that allowed the students to gain access. Money that was formerly donated to allow students to get in may have been allocated elsewhere.

soccerfanatic
Freshman Team

Post by soccerfanatic »

Couple of things about Athens: The green fencing blocking the view from lower parking lot has been up for at least 9 years in roughly the same place. Get over it. If you want to be a cheapskate and don't want to pay to get into the game and support Athens athletics and the athletes, you can still park on the street and watch from behind the scoreboard end zone...

As posted above, students only got in free for the last few years due to donations. Those donations now have to go to the stadium. Even with this, I agree it's tough that students have to pay to get in, but at least they could have bought a pass for $20 that would get them into 10 home athletic contests which would allow all home football games plus four games of any other sport or level (JV football, volleyball, boys and girls soccer, etc.). That averages out to $2 a game. Yes, I know not everybody has $20 to plunk down for their kids at the beginning of the season, especially if they have multiple children, but it's a decent compromise. I'd prefer that they just charged the students $2 with an ID, but at least there is a reduced option for students.

The reality is that even with the donations, the fundraising process is still ongoing.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

soccerfanatic wrote:Couple of things about Athens: The green fencing blocking the view from lower parking lot has been up for at least 9 years in roughly the same place. Get over it. If you want to be a cheapskate and don't want to pay to get into the game and support Athens athletics and the athletes, you can still park on the street and watch from behind the scoreboard end zone...

As posted above, students only got in free for the last few years due to donations. Those donations now have to go to the stadium. Even with this, I agree it's tough that students have to pay to get in, but at least they could have bought a pass for $20 that would get them into 10 home athletic contests which would allow all home football games plus four games of any other sport or level (JV football, volleyball, boys and girls soccer, etc.). That averages out to $2 a game. Yes, I know not everybody has $20 to plunk down for their kids at the beginning of the season, especially if they have multiple children, but it's a decent compromise. I'd prefer that they just charged the students $2 with an ID, but at least there is a reduced option for students.

The reality is that even with the donations, the fundraising process is still ongoing.
I never watched a game from the hillside anyway - I was over it years ago ... I think all the points made were in reference to what Nelsonville-York or Alexander or other schools in the area do and what Athens does not ... I must admit, the atmosphere last night versus Alex was pretty cool - and watching a game in the new stadium is really, really nice ... I would just like to see the gap between the Nelsonville-York football program and the Athens football program tighten a little - and to do that - I think you have to think "out-side-the-box" and take a long and in depth look at what they do well. (and I think I mentioned a lot of them above)

diamondD1
JV Team

Post by diamondD1 »

Athens is not Nelsonville-York. Everyone agrees that what they have in a football program is fantastic. But no need for anyone to try to emulate someone else. The uniqueness of every school and program is what makes the league special.

The Athens coaching staff, players, school administration, boosters, Bulldog Blitz, students, parents and fans are building a program and it will be just fine. Athens already has a precedent for building it's program. The total picture of the overall success of all the boys and girls athletics tells that story. The Bulldog community knows what it's doing. Glad to be part of it.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

diamondD1 wrote:Athens is not Nelsonville-York. Everyone agrees that what they have in a football program is fantastic. But no need for anyone to try to emulate someone else. The uniqueness of every school and program is what makes the league special.

The Athens coaching staff, players, school administration, boosters, Bulldog Blitz, students, parents and fans are building a program and it will be just fine. Athens already has a precedent for building it's program. The total picture of the overall success of all the boys and girls athletics tells that story. The Bulldog community knows what it's doing. Glad to be part of it.
I hope your right ... But I also don't see a problem with bringing up things that can be improved diamond1 ... How else can anything grow if you don't look at all the positives AND negatives? I personally love what coach Adams & others have done with the football program, there is no denying its 10x better than what it use to be ... And I didn't mean to 'emulate' what Nelsonville-York does - but there sure as heck isn't nothing wrong with looking at what they do well and maybe put our own 'spin' on it. Coaches do it every week after looking at film of their next opponent, right? I'm sure Athens looked at what Wellston did well versus Alexander last week and adjusted their game plan accordingly ... Well, that can be done with a footballl program as well - you see what works elsewhere and perhaps adopt some of their ideas ... Nelsonville-York has been a dominate football program in southeastern Ohio since the early 80's - we would be fools not to at least be open minded and maybe look at some things they do well.

How about not having a soccer team? :122246

Did I just say that out loud? lol

Buckeye Backer
Waterboy

Post by Buckeye Backer »

Thanks for the support of Boston Field 93 Bulldog. Of course, I am biased but I also think the choice is Boston Field. The location, access, parking, ammenities, spirit, friendly atmosphere and not just tradition, but a long winning tradition. Admission is $4 and is general admission. NY students get in FREE with (and usually even without) a student ID. Oh, and the cannon. Don't forget the cannon.

I'll have a better impression of the new Bulldog's stadium after week 10. It sounds nice enough, but I like being a little closer to the action. According to 93 Bulldog's description of it, I will probably feel the same as he does. Oh, and A-Town Big Dog, you can tell them to keep the softball field because parking won't be a problem next year anyways after Devon Sharp graduates! ;)

Logan's new stadium is also nice, but they may fall into the Athens category of being a little too far from the action. I also hate the special/reserved seating. Just a little too pretentious for me. I have heard folks who have the reserved seating talk about it and it is just nauseating. I'm sure they all aren't like that but a few rotten apples....

Trimble's stadium is good in a "make due with what you've got" type of way. I think they try to make it as good of an experience as they can, but the seating, parking and lighting are poor. It's not their fault, it's just not financially feasable to update or build a new stadium. But for pure football and hometown pride they are hard to beat.

Federal Hocking and Alexander are decent enough and certainly have hometown pride and spirit behind them, but the field conditions can be less than desirable. (Sometimes maybe even on purpose! Just kidding....both teams have to play in the same conditions during any given game so it's a wash.)

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Athens charges way to much to get into there sporting events....... There really is no defending it. Charge a buck less and see what happens.....

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

And there is no way that the AD and shcool board can justify charging students full price... They should at least get in for 3 bucks if not free.

diamondD1
JV Team

Post by diamondD1 »

Buckeye Backer wrote:Oh, and A-Town Big Dog, you can tell them to keep the softball field because parking won't be a problem next year anyways after Devon Sharp graduates! ;)
NOTE: Athens JV and Freshman teams are undefeated. Those lots will be full for a while.

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

Orange and Brown wrote:Athens charges way to much to get into there sporting events....... There really is no defending it. Charge a buck less and see what happens.....
They charged us $6.00 each at Warren and the place was packed.

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

Buckeye Backer wrote: Oh, and A-Town Big Dog, you can tell them to keep the softball field because parking won't be a problem next year anyways after Devon Sharp graduates! ;)
I guess the same could be said for N-Y after Dean, Clein and Young are gone too then right? ;-)

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Nelsonville-York will just re-load - we know that A-Town Big Dog ... It sounds & looks as if Athens is doing the same - that's great.

I know I've been catching a lot of slack from my earlier comments (from folks who just read SEOPS) ... I think I was even called "A Buckeye dressed in Bulldog clothing" ... lol ... That of course is simply not true - my comments may have sounded negative - but were stated to perhaps spark a positive action that IMO would help get more people involved and interested in the Green-and-Gold football team. That's all.

And as far as taking a look at Nelsonville-York and seeing what they do well ... I think that admiration and respect comes from a lot of folks, like myself, who have been watching football around here for quite some time. It was my team on the field in 1991 that kicked-off of this incredible dominance by NY over Athens over the past 20 years ... It was my job as a starting middle linebacker to try and stop one of the states all-time rushing leaders (Justin Gail) as we were pummled by an awesome (10-0) Buckeyes team in 1992 ... There was a stretch from 1992-1995 when we didn't even score a single point and were outscored 101-0 by Nelsonville-York ... Of course they won 10 straight before Grant Gregory and Chris Hewitt's team stopped the bleeding for a couple of seasons - but the Buckeyes are back to their old ways with 8-straight wins over the 'Dogs. I was in the NY press box when Chance Fox intercepted a pass in the endzone and went 100 yards to beat Athens 22-14 in 2008 ... I was 10 yards away in the far endzone filming when Derek Arnold scored the winning TD in 2009 to give Athens its only loss of the season - and I was roaming the NY sideline as a fan in 2010 when the Bucks pulled out yet another incredible 28-27 victory over the Bulldogs ... I mean, I've viewed this rivalry from every angle possible - as a player, a media representative or just a fan and what I have seen is Nelsonville-York totally dominate winning 18 times in the last 20 years ... That's two freakin decades! So yea, when I say we should maybe look at what their doing well and what we may not be - I think it is definitly a valid point and perhaps even a good idea.

Buckeye Backer
Waterboy

Post by Buckeye Backer »

93Bulldog - Your comments weren't negative, they were just an opinion. That's what these boards are for. Too many fans blind themselves to any possible negatives in their program and take any critique as an attack on the school, athletes and coaches. Sometimes the comments may be about them, but I put more faith in the comments of an open-minded fan than that of one who thinks everything their team should go unquestioned. I'm pure Buckeye through and through, but I'm not blinded to issues effecting our team. It doesn't make you any less of a fan if you raise questions and give input that is critical of the team. For instance, I don't think NY will get much respect outside of the TVC until we win one or more playoff games. A lot of fans don't like hearing that, but it's the truth.

Big Dog - I actually agree with you to some extent. Of course with other teams losing a lot of talent it may equal out in the end. I think we will be in good shape at most positions, but QB could be an issue. Next year's QB will be a sophomore who is already out for the remainder of this year with concussion problems, so he isn't going to be very experienced at the high school level and that's assuming that he will be okay to play at all. He has talent, but concussions are serious business. They may have someone else in the pipeline that they are preparing, but I'm not aware of who it might be. I would really like to see us bring at least 2 QB's along starting with the youth program just in case something happens to the starter, but we just seem to concentrate on one. However, the effect that it has on the stadium and fan base will be non-existent. Win or lose, the home stands (and fencelines) at Boston Field are always packed.

As far as what each stadium charges to get in, maybe the athletic directors could meet and agree on a standard cost for non-students. I'm just afraid that our ticket prices would increase. I think students should get in free to their own home games. I think it's a great way to build a long-term fan base. There is also a lot of difference in price at the junior high level in the different sports as well that I would like to see standardized.

Now back to the thread - Boston Field.

Return to “Football”