Week 9 (8-0) Lucasville Valley @ (7-1) Wheelersburg

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Re: Week 9 (8-0) Lucasville Valley @ (7-1) Wheelersburg

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

SOCMAN05 wrote:Bleeding Red You hit the nail on the head Worst refs I ever seen ! They did everything accept put it in the endzone for Burg ! I feel sorry for West going in there next week they are a 14 points down already and yes I would be embarassed if I was from Burg !!!

You guys amaze me. Why in the Hell would anyone from Burg have to be embarrassed? You act like these guys graduated from Wheelersburg or were paid by Wheelersburg to "cheat" the Indians. The officials call the games as THEY see it from field level, which is a Hell of lot better view than what any fan can see from 50 yards away in a crowd of people. Do they make bad calls ocassionally? I'm sure they do. Do they try like Hell to cheat kids and take a game away from one team and hand it to another? HELL NO!!!!

I umpired Little League games for years, both regular season and District 11 tourneys and I heard the same crap from fans that I'm hearing on here. That I was cheating kids. Why would I cheat kids??? Just what would I get from that??? I got a Hot Dog and a Pop for doing these games, so why in the world would I cheat for one team or the other so they could win? I know these officials get paid, but for what reason would they cheat kids? Most of them probably aren't even from this area so why would they care who wins or not.

Valley won, so quit the whining and show a little respect like the Valley players did after the game by shaking hands with the Burg boys and I'm sure wishing them well in next weeks game, just as I'm sure the Burg players did for them. And like the Valley players that were interviewed on the radio and had nothing but great things to say about their opponent by heaping praise on them and their team mates for one Hell of a football game.

Grow up people. These 14, 15, 16, and 17 year old kids show more maturity than most of the adults on here.

svbt1112
Varsity

Post by svbt1112 »

A few things about the officiating

As an unbiased observer they weren't as bad as the Valley people around me thought they were. I understand the perception and the Huge Monkey on the Backs of Lucasville fans made it seem that the Refs were bias but I believe it was a pretty well called game. I have always found the refs to be better when I didn't have a stake in the outcome.

And, aren't the refs assigned by a league assigner? Or a State assigner? Wouldn't the refs have been the same if the game was played at Lucasville last night? I don't think that Wheelersburg "picked" those referees anymore than Valley did.

Darren certainly got his money's worth speaking with them during the game and they did change a call on the touchdown scored by Yates in the third quarter in valley's favor. Also, the block in the back on Yates td run that was called back in the second qtr. was made by the ref right in front of the Valley bench---that was a tough call against the Indians but the right call.

I have watched valley twice now and they are the best all-around team I have seen in a few years. I believe they are well-coached and have that "togetherness" you need to get through the tough spots. Good Luck to Valley in the Play-offs!

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

nice post and wrap up by Zacband and svbt. MD

svbt1112
Varsity

Post by svbt1112 »

Thanks ManitouDan!

If I was a Valley supporter I would have been right there with them screaming at the refs! I totally understand the perception---been there done that.

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

svbt1112 wrote:And, aren't the refs assigned by a league assigner? Or a State assigner? Wouldn't the refs have been the same if the game was played at Lucasville last night? I don't think that Wheelersburg "picked" those referees anymore than Valley did.
The SOC does not use an assigner for football, only basketball. The SEOAL is one of the only leagues that I know of in this area that has a league assigner for football. The home team is responsible for hiring officials.

svbt1112
Varsity

Post by svbt1112 »

Thanks for the clarification-----had no idea they still did it that way.

Last night was a good indicator that maybe the SOC should change that custom!

Tip of the Hat to blindwhitehat

ZacBrownBand
Varsity

Post by ZacBrownBand »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote:
SOCMAN05 wrote:Bleeding Red You hit the nail on the head Worst refs I ever seen ! They did everything accept put it in the endzone for Burg ! I feel sorry for West going in there next week they are a 14 points down already and yes I would be embarassed if I was from Burg !!!

You guys amaze me. Why in the Hell would anyone from Burg have to be embarrassed? You act like these guys graduated from Wheelersburg or were paid by Wheelersburg to "cheat" the Indians. The officials call the games as THEY see it from field level, which is a Hell of lot better view than what any fan can see from 50 yards away in a crowd of people. Do they make bad calls ocassionally? I'm sure they do. Do they try like Hell to cheat kids and take a game away from one team and hand it to another? HELL NO!!!!
I agree with this, of course as a Valley fan I was upset on a few calls, but I did not see what the refs saw so can't really judge them too much. Seemingly everyone on the Valley side figured that they would be able to make better calls from 50 yards away. Fans are usually watching where the ball is, refs watch the whole field. If they see a hold, they will call. People shouldn't complain about it when they basically have tunnel vision on the ball carrier and don't care about anything else while the refs see what they see. This is just me though, how I feel

ZacBrownBand
Varsity

Post by ZacBrownBand »

Another Thanks to ManitouDan!!

I always 'try' to be as unbias as I can be in most everything. Can be hard, but I try

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

wasn't looking for any pats on the back but after all the crap that was tossed around on this thread (of which I participated a little lol) it was good to read a couple even handed unbiased post. MD

OST
Freshman Team

Post by OST »

Congrats to the Indians on a darn good win. After the opening kick-off and the fumble I was anxious to see how Valley counter acted an they did a great job at that. That entire team played the best all around football i've seen in awhile an IMHO they're the best team to come out of Valley. Leadership, Talent, Fan base, Brotherhood, these guys have it all.

philbilly
Freshman Team

Post by philbilly »

I think that Valley's football program is on the verge of becomming the team to beat in the SOC, on a yearly basis. There are great rewards to be reaped by a program that doesn't run off coaches. I believe that coach Crabtree has been at Valley for around twenty years now.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

congratulations to the valley indians. i never thought i'd see a day, when we actually needed you to lose for wheelersburg's points. but very proud of ya'll, and the burg.

crab_apple4
JV Team

Post by crab_apple4 »

Extremely proud of the way the Indians handled adversity last night! After the KO return and the fumble, I couldn't help but think "here we go again!" I personally wasn't a big fan of the officiating, but not for the same reason as others. There were a few times they were out of position and/or confused on where the ball should have been spotted. The sack Arnett had in 4th quarter was for a good 8-10 yard loss, and it was marked at 4. Some of the penalties against Valley were very crucial but that doesn't mean they didn't happen. All in all, these boys showed what they are made of and played like a bunch of experienced upper classmen. Penalties can be so mentally deflating but Valley kept rebounding to make the big play.

As for Burg, Shears is one heck of a player and a very tough kid! He continually made plays to keep his team in the ballgame. The Pirates are young but they are talented and well coached... They will be a force in the SOC the next few seasons. I was very impressed with how they didn't quit and continually put pressure on the Indians to make big plays.

Luke Keller and Blake Yates were absolute monsters last night! These two showed why Valley is such a dangerous team. With a big and experience offensive line in front of them and hard nosed blocking back (Rowe) Valley showed that can line up and physically beat you with their running game. The Pirates did a great job of game planning for Dwyer, but they didn't have an answer for #9 and #14. I think with Keller's 4 TDs last night, he tied Matt Keeney's school record for TDs in a season. Being great friends with Matt and being Luke's older cousin, I can tell you that I'm extremely proud of the season Luke has had. As a matter of fact, being around these boys since they were kids and helping coach them in various sports through the years, I'm so proud of what these guys have accomplished! Also congrats to Coach Crabtree, I know this has been a long time coming!

Mad_Dogg
Good talking to you last night!

Return to “Football”