Ironton-Portsmouth Rivalry...Interesting!

85inside
S

Ironton-Portsmouth Rivalry...Interesting!

Post by 85inside »

I purchased an original 1935 Ironton-Portsmouth football game program, on line. It is a very interesting piece of history. What I found very interesting is the following that is found inside the program. this game was played at Ironton's Beechwood Stadium (now Tanks Memorial)

"The price of all Ironton High School varsity game tickets is 35 cents for grandstand and 50 cents for box seats for all games except the Portsmouth game. An admission of 50 cents for grandstand and 65 cents for box seats is made at that game."

Nice to see that economics 101 was alive and well in 1935.

Also from that program:
Ironton entered that game, 6-0 after beatting Glouster, Russell, Columbus East, Jackson, Wellston and Dayton Steele. Ironton's remaining games were Portsmouth, Middleport and Newark

Portsmouth entered the game 5-2, after beatting Sciotoville East, Central Catholic, Logan Wva, Springfield and Chillicothe. they had lost to Massillon and Middletown. They still had remaining games with ironton, Cleveland East and Huntington.

Portsmouth played a killer schedule.

BigOrangeOne
S

Re: Ironton-Portsmouth Rivalry...Interesting!

Post by BigOrangeOne »

85inside wrote:
"The price of all Ironton High School varsity game tickets is 35 cents for grandstand and 50 cents for box seats for all games except the Portsmouth game. An admission of 50 cents for grandstand and 65 cents for box seats is made at that game."

That was designed to keep the Portsmouth riff-raff (like BigDowgg and Ozzie) from attending the game.

I'm guessing Portsmouth won the game since you failed to mention the score. :)

Nice piece of history.

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

actually Ironton ended up winning 21-0. I didnt mention the score, because I was reading from the program.

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

:) :) :) Good deal. Thanks.

victor creed
Varsity

Post by victor creed »

i think ironton also played middleport and newark after the portsmouth game in 1935, so it looks like their schedule was pretty killer as well. by the way ironton finished 9 and 0 that year with the closest game they had being both midldleport and newark which they won by the exact same score of 13-0. of course both games were played at beachwood so i am sure they had some help from the officials since we cant seem to win without them. :122249 :122249

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

victor creed wrote:i think ironton also played middleport and newark after the portsmouth game in 1935, so it looks like their schedule was pretty killer as well. by the way ironton finished 9 and 0 that year with the closest game they had being both midldleport and newark which they won by the exact same score of 13-0. of course both games were played at beachwood so i am sure they had some help from the officials since we cant seem to win without them. :122249 :122249

now that is funny, I dont care who you are......... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

and by the way Victor, it is Beechwood......... :)

JIMMAH
Riding the Bench

Post by JIMMAH »

Did you get the program off Ebay?

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

Yes I did. About 2 or 3 months back.

Return to “Football”