If I were Portsmouth......

pmow3
Varsity

If I were Portsmouth......

Post by pmow3 »

I have a question. I hate to start this but I can't resist. I am a big Valley fan and a fan of the SOC. But, if I were Portsmouth, I've got to say that I would tell the schools of the SOC that play them in these scrimmages, (Valley,Minford) and even Burg and West who play them in the regular season to forget it. Portsmouth repeatedly tries to enter this conference and gets denied by the same schools they "help" by playing. The money that's generated when Portsmouth comes to play an SOC school is probably significantly higher than anything Minford or Valley could get playing anyone else. And this would certainly be true in the case of Burg or West during the season.
I've always argued for allowing Portsmouth in the league. Creating a 3 tier league of power schools, midlevel, and lower tier teams to make a southern Ohio powerhouse conference. But, if I'm Portsmouth, I don't see any reason why Ptown should help these schools out. The SOC gets the best of both worlds this way. It's ridiculous.
And the reasons I've heard in the past as to why Ptown isn't allowed in are just as stupid. The reputation that Ptown would cause problems in the SOC because of a city school coming out to the rural schools is crazy. There are people that think this would actually be a problem. Big city school means trouble, PLEASE!! No more than that rural school I guarantee it. Now that's not the only reason they don't get in, but I can't understand any of the other reasons either.
It doesn't matter what schools are keeping this from happening because reguardless, Ptown is out and they help any school in the SOC that they play "in any sport". If I'm Portsmouth, I'd tell every SOC school to shove it. And make sure those schools tell the ones that keep them out that we said shove it to them too. Can't wait for a reply on this one. :twisted:

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Re: If I were Portsmouth......

Post by biggdowgg »

:122246

not touching this one :mrgreen:

although I will say, when I puled up to Monfords filed saturday, the lot was full of cars, you would have thought a real game was going on......

I know,,people just ready for football 8)

Neutron Man
All State

Post by Neutron Man »

Great idea!! Then you can play....????? and drive who knows how far to play where???? And if you find someone available how low of a school did I get (division) and is it even worth it????

Maybe I'm missing this but that sounds kinda goofy!

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

I guarantee it was full Dowgg. And the SOC school of Minford thanks you very much for coming out and spending your money there. And they are glad it was a day game too. That way they could keep their eye on you city folk just in case you tried to steal somethin'. :lol: Ain't that amazing? The SOC loves it. Get that city money and stay out!

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

Neutron Man wrote:Great idea!! Then you can play....????? and drive who knows how far to play where???? And if you find someone available how low of a school did I get (division) and is it even worth it????

Maybe I'm missing this but that sounds kinda goofy!

They only play 2 scrimmages and 2 regular season games. Not hard to fill that void. Scrimmage Piketon, Wellston, Greenup Ky, Boyd Ky, Lewis Ky, any team in the OVC and all these teams are either closer or 20 or so miles further away. Not that big a deal.
Filling the void of Burg and West might be a little harder, but there are options a good bit further away. I understand your point. But I'm really just trying to drive home the idea that Ptown should be in the SOC.

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

A couple of other choices would be New Lex, Circleville, Westfall, South Point, Amanda Clearcreek Or how about Thornville Sheridan. They have been great for a while now. Or Miami Trace, Greenfield McClain, Hillsboro, Washington Court House, or Logan Elm. Yeah they are a good bit further away but I wonder if it wouldn't make these SOC schools wonder a little.

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

You realize Portsmouth and Wheelersburg have played almost each season dating back to 1973 ;-) 28 times

Neutron Man
All State

Post by Neutron Man »

yeah dropping Burg is like Burg dropping Ironton. Cause if you catch them game 1 and win, you know your getting some big points frrom that win. cause Ironton wins 8-9 a year.

Even if they chose other schools they would need to keep Burg and West

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Portsmouth benefits from playing the Burg and West just as much as the SOC schools benefit from playing Portsmouth. Both West and the Burg travel very well to see their teams play and that means lots of money at the gate and the concession stand for the Trojans. I wonder just how well some of those OVC schools or the others you mentioned would travel to Portsmouth to watch their teams play?

The Burg brings a big crowd to almost every game, even in the years they were down around .500 seasons. You can't say the same for Portsmouth. I remember a couple of years when the Trojans were struggling to win 2 or 3 games a year that the visitor stands at the Burg weren't even half full and they weren't getting very many at their home games either.

cavalierfan95
Freshman Team

Post by cavalierfan95 »

i think you would fit right in with the soc lots of great teams in that conference.what league is portsmouth west in? i cant remember.what im getting at is if potsmouth and ports.west were in the same league that would be a great ticket sale. or would that be one sided?just a thought.

mglight88
SE

Post by mglight88 »

That's the thing, Portsmouth has tried to enter the Southern Ohio Conference a few times already, and has been denied. They have played the core of the Conference during regular season play, with the exception of Northwest, it would really be nice to see the Trojans admitted the next time they attempt to gain entrance to the SOC.

Ptown Playmaker
Varsity

Post by Ptown Playmaker »

pmow3..........it is hard to say who has voted againest us since they allow both conferences to vote and 12 votes needed allow us in..........it is chickensh#! though to allow a silent vote..........I wish they would have to state out loud yes or no.......then you could see who stands where.............Portsmouth is not the school it used to be and never will........our enrollment is down to the county school sizes and we will never be the big city school like the old days. I don't see how it doesn't make since to allow us to join......I believe both sides would benefit.

Moses Guthrie
Varsity

Post by Moses Guthrie »

I agree 100% ptownp. However, I have another way to handle this debate. Instead of snubbing all schools when scheduling as Mr. pmow3 suggested, we should drop out of the seoal and schedule each and every soc school. If we win every game, as we did in basketball last year, we pronounce ourselves phantom soc champs. :razz:

TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

Post by TheMalteseFalcon »

BiggDawgg said:
"although I will say, when I puled up to Monfords filed saturday, the lot was full of cars, you would have thought a real game was going on......"

Pmow said:
"I guarantee it was full Dowgg....."

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

I personally don't care if Portsmouth is in the SOC or not but you two have to be joking, right? Either you weren't in Minford Saturday at all or you've never been to a Minford regular season home game. :roll:
I didn't get to that scrimmage until 10 minutes after it was supposed to start and I parked within 150 feet of the field entrance... and there was another empty parking spot right beside where I parked. Try that any Friday night.
Neither side of the stands were more that 1/10th as full as a regular season home game.
Let's keep our arguments real and honest, please. :oops:

TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

Ptown Playmaker wrote:it is chickensh#! though to allow a silent vote..........I wish they would have to state out loud yes or no.......then you could see who stands where..............

Why would it benefit you to know that...so you could go toilet paper the school... or what?

TrojanBuff
JV Team

Post by TrojanBuff »

TheMalteseFalcon wrote:
Ptown Playmaker wrote:it is chickensh#! though to allow a silent vote..........I wish they would have to state out loud yes or no.......then you could see who stands where..............

Why would it benefit you to know that...so you could go toilet paper the school... or what?

Very classy TheMalteseFalcon, very classy.

Here's a realistic reason: So Portsmouth knows who NOT to schedule.....any team that votes NO.

TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

TrojanBuff wrote:
TheMalteseFalcon wrote:

Very classy TheMalteseFalcon, very classy.

Here's a realistic reason: So Portsmouth knows who NOT to schedule.....any team that votes NO.

Same thing... childly vindictiveness.

TrojanBuff
JV Team

Post by TrojanBuff »

TheMalteseFalcon wrote: Same thing... childly vindictiveness.

Childly vindictiveness you say??? It is childly vindictiveness to not vote Portsmouth in the SOC. That's what is childly vindictiveness. The SOC wants the best of both worlds. They want the $$ but they do not want Portsmouth to compete for any Championships....vindictiveness.

TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

If it is that bad, quit playing them. It's that simple.

TrojanBuff
JV Team

Post by TrojanBuff »

TheMalteseFalcon wrote:If it is that bad, quit playing them. It's that simple.

If I was the AD I would not, until things changed. I have heard from people close to the program that my strategy is being highly considered. Do not be surprised if in 2-3 years Portsmouth does not play any SOC schools, in any sports, until they are allowed in 'The League'.

Return to “Football”