If I were Portsmouth......

pmow3
Varsity

Re: If I were Portsmouth......

Post by pmow3 »

By the way, this has just drove me crazy that this whole conversation has focused just on football. All the other sports would benefit even more. All the gas money that would be saved would be enormous. Look at every teams schedule (top to bottom) in the SOC now and insert a 3 division conference in every sport and then redo those teams schedules. There wouldn't be a single team in the SOC that wouldn't make money just on gas alone. And some of those teams gas savings would be incredible. Now times that by every sport there is in high school. This isn't about anything but common sense. And that's why I think each school needs to think with their heads and their wallets instead of all the other "STUPID" reasons they keep Ptown and whoever else out!

maintenanceman
Riding the Bench

Post by maintenanceman »

Everyone is forgetting that you can't create leagues based on what teams are the best or most competitive. You HAVE to do it by numbers. No matter how good Burg has been over the last 50 years, they have fewer students than any SOC II school except Valley. Just because Burg has been competitive for its entire existence doesn't mean it always will (just a hypothetical here people). The OHSAA divides Ohio schools into divisions based on number of BOYS not how good teams are. So what if Columbus School for XYZ has never won a football game and routinely gets beaten by DVI teams. They have 4000 students in their high school so they are DI. Any division of the league has to come from numbers, not competitiveness meaning that Northwest must always be in the top division.

Letting another school in GREATLY changes both conferences. Valley probably doesn't want to go back to SOC I and the SOC I schools probably don't want to see Valley again creating one of the many potential scenarios for a no vote.

That being said...I personally think Portsmouth should be in the SOC. Right now, the SOC has all but one school from Pike County, all but one school from Scioto County, and one school each from Jackson and Lawrence. SO, in a perfect world I would love to see Oak Hill and Symmes Valley join the OVC, and Portsmouth and Piketon join the SOC creating a great Scioto/Pike league. I think that is the perfect travel scenario and competitiveness scenario though that presents a problem with team numbers in football. Maybe Valley has to go down to SOC I? Probably Minford/Burg as well (though neither would want to). Burg has the right to demand to stay but wouldn't have the numbers to make it...and that is why this numbers game is a bigger problem than it seems.

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

I don't know if you are right, but if you are, that would be a problem.
But even if you are, schools go up and down in size too oftern for it to be just "automatic" that teams must be put in divisions within a conference based solely on size. I remember Valley being bigger than Burg a few times before Valley made the switch to SOC2 and while Burg was already there.
And under my reallignment you would have: Burg, West, Portsmouth, Waverly, and Ironton. 3 D-4 and 2 D-5
In Division 2, Minford, Valley, Piketon, Northwest and Oak Hill. 2 D-4 and 3 D-5
In Division 3, Symmes Valley, East, Green, Notre Dame, and South Gallia. All D-6 schools.
I hardly think that would be a problem. They would all be considered SOC schools, but each team could go up or down and pick their "non-divisional" games. This would be a financially based reallignment with competition in mind. I would be surprised if the OHSAA would step in and say you can't do this. But hey, we are talking about the OHSAA here :roll: :roll: :roll:
Didn't the SEOAL just reallign when Portsmouth and Ironton joined? They created 2 divisions based largely on proximity with size in mind. That is not unlike what this would be. Waverly is the only school that is not really close in proximity. But the Div.2 SOC would be really close together.
This just makes sense financially and competitively. Still, you would have to get 3 teams to join in and that may be hard to do. I don't know. But maybe it wouldn't. If they looked at the money saved in gas, and if they looked at the fact you are more likely to have better attendance at the sporting events because of less travel, it's a win win situation for the Conference. Why is this so hard for some to see???? And why is there so many who just shoot this idea down like they just don't want it???? WHY???

TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

Post by TheMalteseFalcon »

pmow3 wrote:Malteses Falcon wrote "you "don't have a clue" as to what goes on in those voting meetings or why they are not voted in so why do you listen to others that don't have a clue either? "
Also:::
"Try reading my posts sometime for a change.
I said earlier
"I certainly wouldn't be offended if the Trojans became a part of the SOC but I leave that call to the (elitist ) voting coaches of the SOC..... and I would hazard a guess that they have thoroughly discussed that situation very deeply many times and have reached a consensus that they can live with... for WHATEVER reason.".

I don't get it. Did you have a point you wanted to make about those two posts? I missed it if you did. Was it that the ADs vote and not the coaches ? If so, what makes the difference WHO does the voting for each school ? Every one of them (WHOEVER THEY ARE ) AND their school and community are being made suspect by the random rumors and accusations based on nothing but what a couple of you have heard a few pinheads say. You seem to want to keep avoiding THAT point that you made in your 1st post and keep going on about how you want to resurrect the downtrodden SOC. Don't you think that kind of rhetoric harms the whole county?
I don't know of any SOC schools that are in financial straights due to excessive travel and to my knowledge the SOC as a whole is strong, healthy and mostly happy. Portsmouth may have or may be soon to have travel/money problems by being in the SEOAL but as far as I know they joined that league voluntarily and many of their fans are very happy to be there.
Why do you say that "this course sucks" ? Maybe because your team hasn't won a championship since it left the SOC I ? :)
You also say your realignment would create a "fever pitch of SOC football". Every SOC game I've gone to over the years has had a "fever pitch" the way it is. Every game is a superbowl game to those kids involved AND the fans.
Maintenanceman made some valid points regarding how teams should be placed in certain levels according to size and not accomplishments as the OHSAA does and also about the major mess that would be involved in moving certain teams up and/or down the ladder and bringing other teams in to balance the tiers out (teams that may not even be interested in joining). There would be major scheduling problems for all teams involved and would probably take 10 years to get everything settled into place...... and by then somebody would want to leave or somebody else would want in and ..... here we go again. And ALL those considerations might very well be plausible reasons why they haven't been voted in. Ya think that could be?

Just out of curiosity, DO you have a clue on how anybody voted..... or how many voted which way ?
I'd really like to know.

BTW... I hope you locked all your doors and set all your alarms during the scrimmage this evening when all those dreaded "Portsmouth people" were around........ I know how all you county folks think. :122249 :lol: :lol:

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

No that kind of rhetoric does not "harm" the whole county :roll: :roll: :roll: It is just an idea that I think would profit most if not all the teams in the league. That is what this topic was based on.
I do agree, there would be scheduling conflicts, but I don't agree to the extent you say. Most of these teams play each other anyway. It would just create a balanced league and save money. That is not 2 bad things.
As for "my team" not winning since they joined the bigger division, I'm not surprised. I think we only won 1 or 2 county championships in all the years before we went to the SOC 1 in the early 80's so it's not a surprise. I am not all hung up on this idea to benefit Valley. I'm not the rabid fan I used to be. I still root for my team, but it's not all about that at all. Just an idea that sounds good. You can argue this all you want. I want you to. That's what this forum is for. I think it's fun. But you still want to change the subject to "rumor mongers" and accusation starters. My first post was asking why Portsmouth wouldn't be allowed in. I said there are people that think this would be a problem. Are you telling me there are "not" people that think this would be a problem??????? Are you?? That's all I said. That is not a rumor. There ARE people that think Portsmouth would be a problem in this conference and I'm telling you they would be no more of a problem than any other school. Period> But I do like your joke at the end. :lol: I keep coming back to why? What is your "biggest" reason for arguing the other way? I do see your point in scheduling. So if it's that, I admit it would be difficult for a couple of years. But 5 years down the line, I think there would be money in it to reallign.

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

Oh and by the way, NO I don't know who voted for or against Portsmouth being in. I've heard rumors that Valley has been against it, and if so, that makes me mad :evil: And I have heard there was more than 1 or 2. But that is just a rumor and I know you sure don't like those so I'll leave it at that. I know of no specifics on that at all.
No, if there are real problems in scheduling by just adding Portsmouth in, then that is fine. It wouldn't be easy. But if it's because people are afraid of change, or some reason worse than that, I would say, things change sometimes. Take a broad look at what would be better for everyone and don't be afraid of change.

TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

pmow3 wrote:No that kind of rhetoric does not "harm" the whole county :roll: :roll: :roll: It is just an idea that I think would profit most if not all the teams in the league. .

I wasn't talking about THAT rhetoric, I was referring to the "Portsmouth people are thieves and trouble makers and that's why the biased SOC folks won't let them in" rhetoric. As I said in my last post, you seem to want to skirt that part of what you said and revert to you realignment scheme every time. I don't really care about your numbers games because that ain't gonna happen in the near future but I am disturbed with the insinuations that went along with it.
Do you think THAT kind of talk helps the county relations?

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

That was a joke specifically to Bigdowgg whom I know. If you read it there are smiley faces after and it's obvious that was a joke and meant towards him. Just like your 10 jokes you've posted on here are jokes (I assume).
Let me ask you this: Do you think everytime Portsmouth tries to join this league and gets shot down by the AD's is good for county relations. No wonder there are some in Ptown that thinks some of these rumors you hate to hear are true. I hate to hear the rumors as well. I just wish Portsmouth would be granted the oppurtunity to join this conference. That's all. With the new facilities I think it would create some real excitement County wide. Now that would be GOOD for county relations. No numbers game here.

TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

You said:
"The reputation that Ptown would cause problems in the SOC because of a city school coming out to the rural schools is crazy. There are people that think this would actually be a problem. Big city school means trouble...."

What I'm asking is:

I wonder how that "reputation" continues to exist? Could it be that people like you that don't even know the FACTS posts crap like this on public forums for all the players, schools and communities to read and absorb.
You did read where one of the other posters formed his "opinion" based on rumors he has heard didn't you? This kind of place is a VERY good place for him to GET those rumors.... isn't it?
The majority of the fans aren't even aware that this is a "problem" until they read it on places like this, then they go tell a neighbor....."Guess what I heard, Janet ? I didn't know those Portsmouth people were like that, did you ? And the way those mean ol' SOC communities treat them is a downright dirty shame isn't it? Now don't you tell anybody I told you that, OK ?" Yeah, right. :roll: :roll: :roll:
They usually just go and enjoy the games and then go home and forget about it. No problem

Realign all you want... all I'm asking is for you to help stop the vicious rumor mill rather than adding to it.
Do you understand at all what I'm saying?

TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

pmow3 wrote:That was a joke specifically to Bigdowgg whom I know..

You mean this one?

"That way they could keep their eye on you city folk just in case you tried to steal somethin'."

Well, it wasn't a very funny or appropriate "joke" to me, coming right on the heels of and tied in to your 1st post.

TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

You do know this isn't at all fair don't you. You are getting paid to rattle on here and I am just losing sleep for nothing. :lol: :lol:

(Although the time on my post says 1:55 PM it is really 6:55 AM and I suspect it is about time for you to get off work isn't it?? )

TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

pmow3 wrote: There ARE people that think Portsmouth would be a problem in this conference

And there ARE people who think Hitler and Elvis are still alive, too..... but not very many. Get my drift?? :lol:

TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

pmow3 wrote: > But I do like your joke at the end. .

That wasn't a joke. :oops:

TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

pmow3 wrote: I keep coming back to why? What is your "biggest" reason for arguing the other way? .

WHAT :?: :?: :?: Arguing the other way :?: Let me retype what I said about 30 posts ago.....

Am I going to fight to get Portsmouth in? NO.
Am I going to fight to keep them out? NO
Would I be offended if they got in? NO
Would I be offended if they are kept out? NO

Can't you see that you keep trying to argue with me about something I've said 50 times that I'm not concerned with ? I'm not biting my nails about whether Portsmouth is in or out... understand?
What I AM asking is.....

HELP STOP THE VICIOUS RUMORS RATHER THAN HELPING TO PERPETUATE THEM.

Is that too much to ask ??

TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

Well, I guess you DID get off work.
How about sending half of last nights pay. :122246 :122246 :lol:

TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

pmow3 wrote: No wonder there are some in Ptown that thinks some of these rumors you hate to hear are true. I hate to hear the rumors as well. .

No you don't or you wouldn't be putting them on here.

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

I work days. 4 10's to be exact. I was just up like you.

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

I didn't put that rumor out there. It was a joke. And it don't matter if it was a joke or not. regardless of what I put on here you would have disagreed. All 3 of you. This isn't new. It's almost older than you. That's not a rumor.

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

TheMalteseFalcon wrote:
pmow3 wrote:That was a joke specifically to Bigdowgg whom I know..

You mean this one?

"That way they could keep their eye on you city folk just in case you tried to steal somethin'."

Well, it wasn't a very funny or appropriate "joke" to me, coming right on the heels of and tied in to your 1st post.

Yes this one. And yes it was a joke. Chill out man. Not everyone looks at things like you. Politically correctness is for people who are politically correct. Please don't make me like that. Fun, fun, fun :roll: ( that's a joke, just so you know)

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

Back to the subject: Who besides me and Maltese Falcon wants reallignment for the SOC and would like to see Portsmouth in. Raise your hand. (that's a joke) MF

Return to “Football”