Week 5: Athens (4-0) @ Waverly (1-3)

Power 105
All Conference

Re: Week 5: Athens (4-0) @ Waverly (1-3)

Post by Power 105 »

Make sure you guys tune into 970 WATH for the game if you cant make it. Jake Corrigan and Justin Sampson will have the call. 7:15 Pregame and 7:30 kickoff. You can listen online at Athensi.com just scroll down on the right side and look for WATH AM.

Roadrunner
Freshman Team

Post by Roadrunner »

I need some help from any Waverly fan here: Are the Tigers a better team that just four weeks ago or what? I'm having trouble deciding whether or not to go watch Nelsonville-York/Logan (which is about 10 minutes from my house) or drive clear down to Waverly to watch the 'Dogs (who I have only seen once this year.) Will Waverly give Athens a game? Have they improved a lot since week 1?

The reasoning behind my question persists because something just isn't adding up with Waverly's schedule/results thus far. How in the world do the Tigers lose to Piketon (who Vinton County beat) - then turn around and beat the Vikings 33-0? Both Waverly & VC lost to Jackson by similar scores; yet Waverly destroys the Vikings in week 4?

So what's up Waverly fans; which team will the Bulldogs see Friday - the one that lost to Piketon - or shut-out VC?
Waverly is much improved from the 0-10 team from a year ago. The tigers have had problems with turnovers all season, which cost them the game against piketon. Jackson is flat out good. Western brown is a good experienced team that overmatched the tigers. VC was in it with waverly in the first half, but came out flat and got punished by the tigers. Everything is on the up and up and this team should be pumped up and ready to go against the bulldogs friday.

I am a tiger supporter, but I think athens will win with no problems. Athens has played a better schedule and have been winning. The tigers are improving week by week but the bulldogs appear to be the better team. The tigers are pretty good at running the ball and our qb has a nice arm and can get the ball downfield. Our defense isn't bad between the tackles, but we still struggle to stop the run game on the outside and struggle against defending the short and intermediate passes. If you guys can move good in space, I think it will give the tigers fits.

I look for the tigers to come out on an emotional high after winning their first game since 2009. Unfortunately, I think the bulldogs will be too much for them. Of course, I hope I'm wrong :122249 Hope this helps you in your decision whether to watch the bulldogs or logan-ny.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Thanks Roadrunner ... the comment about 'moving well is space' has me a leaning a little toward going to Buchtel Friday ... lol ... That is pretty much what Athens does best. If tail-back Devon Sharp is given just the slightest bit of room to run - he is gone. Fullback/tail-back Chris Russell & QB Josh Skinner are both 'slippery' when the ball is in their hands - and seem to gain yards when there aren't yards to be gained.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

c'mon waverly tiger's win this one for waverly. and ole bait.

jungle cat
Freshman Team

Post by jungle cat »

Waverly pull the rabbit out of the hat last week, no magic in this one.
But good job to the Tigers on breaking there losing streak. :-D

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

Rain appears to be in the forecast tomorrow and could be a factor.

indianabuck
All State

Post by indianabuck »

A-Town Big Dog wrote:Rain appears to be in the forecast tomorrow and could be a factor.
It will be a factor, but Athens has a good running game which always helps in the rain.

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

Is the football field at Waverly at the high school (1 Tiger dr. according to the web site) or at a different location?

Auburntgrfan
All Conference

Post by Auburntgrfan »

I will go out on a limb and say after seeing Athens at Warren. Bulldogs by 21.

4thnpine
Freshman Team

Post by 4thnpine »

move to the tvc working out well for the bulldogs.

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

Yes it has 4thnpine, but we have not played a league game yet. 3-0 against the SEOAL this year.

Ace
Freshman Team

Post by Ace »

A-Town Big Dog wrote:Is the football field at Waverly at the high school (1 Tiger dr. according to the web site) or at a different location?
No, the football field is not at the high school. It's downtown right off US Highway 23 at the north end of Waverly. It's across the street from Rite-Aid.

gymrat88
JV Team

Post by gymrat88 »

Good luck to the Bulldogs!

gridiron fan
Riding the Bench

Post by gridiron fan »

It seems to be working out very well so far and has even helped contribute to them having a 3 - 0 mark this season against SEOAL competition (Gallia, Warren & Chillicothe).

A lot of other factors contribute as well: continuity of the coaching staff, great support from the Bulldog Blitz booster organization, and most importantly . . . player buy in to the program and the work required to be successful. The number of players out in grades 10 - 12 is at a potential all time high of 50 and 30+ players out at the freshman level.

If the Dogs play solid defense, have a good offensive night with a balanced attack and minimize turnovers, they'll be fine (cliche).

NY BUCKS
All State

Post by NY BUCKS »

THREE 4-0 TEAMS...HOPE ALL 3 WIN ...GOOD LUCK ATHENS......WEEKS 6-10 GOING TO FUN...

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

Go tigers beat the bullpuppies

ButterFingers
Riding the Bench

Post by ButterFingers »

KEEP BRINGING US THOSE SECOND LEVEL POINTS ATHENS....BIG WIN TONIGHT!!

Texas 2
Freshman Team

Post by Texas 2 »

The Ideal game would be Athens and Jackson not this year but next year.

Texas 2
Freshman Team

Post by Texas 2 »

correction: Playoffs possible. Jackson an Athens

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

ATHENS WINS THIS ONE. AND JACKSON WOULD ROLL ATHENS

Return to “Football”