Week 3 Wheelersburg @ Portsmouth

Neutron Man
All State

Re: Week 3 Wheelersburg @ Portsmouth

Post by Neutron Man »

ptowntrojan_61 wrote:South Point came out flat Against Burg they didn't bring anything to the table and were not prepared. Why people keep giving these bold predictions by 4TDs i don't get it Burg is good obviously but 4 TDs no way if they win it will be close Portsmouth is on cloud 9 and Burg wont bring them down.

Portsmouth wins in another close one im gonna say a 7 or maybe less

I'm sorry Burg had a lot to prove that week and even "IF" they came out with their A game they wouldve got killed!
Burg was ticked off and wanted to prve that they are not a pushover. And they will continue this to show teams that Ironton wont happen again! Not against any other team!

Besides nobody Burg plays even compares to Ironton this season!

eddie
JV Team

Post by eddie »

Throw the records , predictions out because u never know what will happen in this game. it ususally is a very interesting, fun, exciting ball game to watch. after watching both Burg vs I town and Ptown vs West they both seem to be equal with speed. O-line goes to Burg. Defense goes to Ptown. Qb Ptown. RB to Burg.

Comes down to who will make the most mistakes/turnovers and special teams/field position. SP might have to go to Burg. Lang can really boot the ball.

eddie
JV Team

Post by eddie »

Neutron man
i think trying to prepare for both lang and shank at qb would be hard therefore giving burg an advantage. and from what i am told they both really like having the other one there to lean on and kind of caoch each other up. how many teams would love to have that.

nobodyspecial
Riding the Bench

Post by nobodyspecial »

eddie wrote:Neutron man
i think trying to prepare for both lang and shank at qb would be hard therefore giving burg an advantage. and from what i am told they both really like having the other one there to lean on and kind of caoch each other up. how many teams would love to have that.

It seems like they lean on Shank when it is a must to situation.Isn't he the one that led burg down for td against Ironton? Lang is very athletic but would contribute more efficiently for the team in a different position and let shank handle qb duties.

Neutron Man
All State

Post by Neutron Man »

nobodyspecial wrote:
eddie wrote:Neutron man

It seems like they lean on Shank when it is a must to situation.Isn't he the one that led burg down for td against Ironton? Lang is very athletic but would contribute more efficiently for the team in a different position and let shank handle qb duties.

Exactly! Shank needs to be QB and let Lang pick up somewhere else!
Lang is good but Shank is better!

seasick80
All State

Post by seasick80 »

I think Burg just needs to keep on keepin on! Their 2nd half D vs Ironton was pretty fricken amazing if u ask me. And they did the same vs Spoint. Ptown ran a 4-4 defense all night vs West . It worked really good but Wests Qbs were very suspect and the oline was very suspect. Pendleton still got his yards. As for the supposed QB controversy at Burg, LOL, workin very well IMO! Lang has had some ups and downs but 1st year mistakes are understandable. If he keeps learnin he will be fine. Needs to listen to the coaches. Shank is ok, been there done that! Great backup. Hate to see them both on defense, been along time since we seen that. Go BURG!! Take them Trojans down a different path and show them the 1st loss in thier new stadium! orrr Coliseum!!

BigSlowWhiteGuy
Riding the Bench

Post by BigSlowWhiteGuy »

Its nice to be 2-0 and have the big opening win at The Coleseum. I think The Trojans have a shot if they put two halfs together, if not the Burg wins by a couple scores. We played a good 2'nd half against S Point and a good 1'st Half against West. I think Wheelersburg is better than both of those teams and won't leave Portsmouth the margin for error. I expect a good crowd but a lot of folks that were there last Saturday will be watching their own teams again this week.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Very proud of the Trojans for their win over a good West Senators team.......

The magic number for the Trojans is now 5........I feel 5 more wins will most likely give us a playoff berth......

As for the Wheelersburg game........the Trojans can beat the Pirates, but they will have to play 4 good quarters........against South Point and West, they didn't do that......and yet still won both games. 4 good quarters of football vs. the Burg and it could be win #3.

This is a rivalry game of course, but it is only 1 game on the schedule with 7 games left, including the SEOAL schedule. The playoffs are a real possibility for Portsmouth after starting out 2-0.

GO TROJANS!!!

marshallman
Varsity

Post by marshallman »

trojandave wrote:Very proud of the Trojans for their win over a good West Senators team.......

The magic number for the Trojans is now 5........I feel 5 more wins will most likely give us a playoff berth......

As for the Wheelersburg game........the Trojans can beat the Pirates, but they will have to play 4 good quarters........against South Point and West, they didn't do that......and yet still won both games. 4 good quarters of football vs. the Burg and it could be win #3.

This is a rivalry game of course, but it is only 1 game on the schedule with 7 games left, including the SEOAL schedule. The playoffs are a real possibility for Portsmouth after starting out 2-0.

GO TROJANS!!!

I agree with TD on this one. The Trojans have a lot to prove this year and the game is played at the new field. This will not be a blow out by either team. Burg seems like they don't pass very much and it seems the two starting RB outside of Shank never get more than 5 touches a game. Ports has to cut down on the penalties. 2nd and 25 will not get it done. PHS has speed, they throw the ball, the QB can run and they play aggressive defense. PHS wins this game- IF they play 4 quarters of ball by 7pts. This BS about the burg taking out their frustrations on everyone for the loss to Ironton and saying they win by 4 TDs makes it sound foolish.

sports junkie
JV Team

Post by sports junkie »

Burg Grad 77, I would not compare South Point to Ironton, There is no comparison. If the Burg plays to there capabilities they will win this game. Burg 28-14

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

People have been saying Burg is taking out their frustration for the Ironton loss; I have to believe that the Trojans have been taking out some from frustration for last year.

I believe that if the Trojans can play defense like they played against West the Trojans will win this game. If you think about it Pendleton was only able to break off a couple of big runs against the Trojans, but most the time was taking a pounding. He is the kind of back that can do that. He is a load to bring down and can wear a team down. I don’t think Shank and the rest of the Burg backs will be able to take the pounding and still be able to produce late in the game, I really think the Trojan D will wear them down. We will just need to contain their speed early on.

On the other side of the ball it is hard to say who has the edge because Burg has played two teams that just line it up and run it right at you. We have no clue how they will be able to defend the Trojans spread attack. I find it hard to believe that there will be any local team that can shut down Myers, Royster, Simpson, and Evans. I know Burg has plenty of speed as well with Shank and Craigmiles, should make this very exciting. I could also see a big breakout game from one of the Trojan backs, Isaiah Reeves, and Angelo Jackson were both running incredible hard against the Senators.

This one should be a great game.

End of the first half
PHS 14
Burg 14

Final

PHS 28
Burg 21

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Lot easier to key in on just one player as West seems to have this year. Burg just doesn't have one player. They can beat you with the run or the pass and there special teams are much improved with the addition of Bendolph on punt returns ( should be on kickoff returns also).

I expect it to be a good game with Ptown coming off the emotional first win at the new stadium and there first 2-0 start in awhile.

Good luck Pirates and here's to an injury free game for both teams.

Neutron Man
All State

Post by Neutron Man »

Rumor has it that Vehicles are gonna be vandalized thisn night so I hope we have Portsmouths finest patroling extra heavy! Not say who would do it to who, but then again I'm sure is just a rumor, but just thought I would throw it out there for people from both schools to be cautious!

Good Luck to both teams on an injury free game and a hard fought game!

Go Pirates!

SPAMONY
Varsity

Post by SPAMONY »

Burg by a bunch. Meyers will be running for his life. Craigmiles can get 200 on the ground if he gets the touches.

Neutron Man
All State

Post by Neutron Man »

SPAMONY wrote:Burg by a bunch. Meyers will be running for his life. Craigmiles can get 200 on the ground if he gets the touches.

Yeah I dont think it will be craigmiles alone!
Great RB but it's gonna be silvey, shank, craigmiles, and Lang Mixed!
So many weapons and options, just wishing Shank was QB instead of Lang.

But not my call so, I'll back em however, and complain about it, but back em!

But I don't think it's be by a bunch either. More like 10-14.

SPAMONY
Varsity

Post by SPAMONY »

Neutron Man wrote:
SPAMONY wrote:Burg by a bunch. Meyers will be running for his life. Craigmiles can get 200 on the ground if he gets the touches.

If Burg does not win by 21+ I will be VERY surprised. The only reason I singled out Craigmiles is that his speed and power is similar (a little better) to Pendleton from West and the Trojans struggled with Him.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Neutron Man wrote:Rumor has it that Vehicles are gonna be vandalized thisn night so I hope we have Portsmouths finest patroling extra heavy! Not say who would do it to who, but then again I'm sure is just a rumor, but just thought I would throw it out there for people from both schools to be cautious!

Good Luck to both teams on an injury free game and a hard fought game!

Go Pirates!

you should report who ever started the rumor,,at least let the police know who told you this, and they can go question them..thats how you put a stop to these things..posted on here wont do a thing about it.

BigTime
JV Team

Post by BigTime »

SPAMONY wrote:
Neutron Man wrote:

If Burg does not win by 21+ I will be VERY surprised. The only reason I singled out Craigmiles is that his speed and power is similar (a little better) to Pendleton from West and the Trojans struggled with Him.

Please do not compare Craigmiles to Pendleton. Pendleton is one of the best backs that I have seen in this area in the last 5 years. He has power and speed and is just a flat out beast. Portsmouth will be physical with the Burg. This is not the same team as last year trust me. This D will hit you and hit you until the final horn. This will be a good game and could go either way. But I don't think Burg comes in and blows the Trojans out. This will be a one touchdown game either way. GO TROJANS

Portsmouth98
All State

Post by Portsmouth98 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote:Lot easier to key in on just one player as West seems to have this year. Burg just doesn't have one player. They can beat you with the run or the pass and there special teams are much improved with the addition of Bendolph on punt returns ( should be on kickoff returns also).

I expect it to be a good game with Ptown coming off the emotional first win at the new stadium and there first 2-0 start in awhile.

Good luck Pirates and here's to an injury free game for both teams.

Yeah, you'd have to go all the way back to 2007 to find a 2-0 Trojan team.

By the way, this series is 5-4 in favor of the Burg this decade so the Trojans need to win this to tie it up.

Portsmouth98
All State

Post by Portsmouth98 »

Series History
1973 Wheelersburg(10-0)-11 Portsmouth(1-8-1)-0
1974 Wheelersburg(10-0)-9 Portsmouth(3-7)-7
1975 Portsmouth(7-3)-21 Wheelersburg(9-1)-12
1976 Wheelersburg(10-0)-46 Portsmouth(4-6)-14
1977 Portsmouth(4-6)-30 Wheelersburg(6-3)-14
1978 Wheelersburg(8-0-2)-7 Portsmouth(0-10)-6
1979 Wheelersburg(10-0)-27 Portsmouth(3-7)-6