Welcome to the Hocking Division

Portsmouth98
All State

Re: Welcome to the Hockling Division....

Post by Portsmouth98 »

I didn't see this happening. Logistics wise it seems weird, but I think they have the right teams in the right divisions for right now.I'm not a big fan of being locked into 8 conference games, but it might actually help the teams as some had mentioned earlier.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

As for the playoffs there should be plenty of points for maybe 2 or even 3 schools making the playoffs in two states. The top three teams will have a shot at going to the playoffs. Who ever wins in football and baseball will have to earn it.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

I think the point some folks are missing is that if you play 8 games against teams that are each playing 8 games against the same common opponets as you are, there are only so many points to be gained. First or second level points.

Second level points are very important to making the playoffs and you only get those by winning your games. If the team you beat has alot of wins, you pickup points on the second level for each game they win. (Strenght of schedule)

You also need the teams you beat to do good out of conference because if they are playing someone your not, you will get more second level points because they will not be on the schedule of any of your conference teams.

I think the TVC is now at the point that they should consider adding 1 more team to the Hocking and then having 2 - five team divisions within the Hocking (North and South). This gives you 6 nonconference games and 4 conference games for football. If you have trouble getting teams in weeks 5 and 6, you could play a crossover game within the Hocking that would be considered nonconference.

I smell bad
Varsity

Post by I smell bad »

I think you guys are missing something here. The more teams there are in a league, the better chance the top teams have of making the playoffs. That is why when the MVL had a 9 game league schedule, they routinely put 3-4 teams in the playoffs. Look at it this way: if you have 11 teams in a league you will probably have a 10-0 team, a 9-1 team, an 8-2 team and a 7-3 team. Those teams, if D6, probably will make the playoffs, because they have beaten several teams with winning records. The 10-0 team will have beaten a 9-1 team, an 8-2 team, a 7-3 team, a 6-4 team and a 5-5 team. In fact, only one of their opponents will have 0 wins. I remember times when Trimble made the playoffs with 2 or 3 0-10 teams on their schedule. So as far as getting into the playoffs, the bigger league helps. Not so sure about preparing them for the playoffs though.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Buford T Rutter wrote:How is the hygiene?

They are stuck up!!!! They take 2 or 3 baths a month!!!
:122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

If the Ohio added two schools, at this point, you would have to have River Valley and Point Pleasant at the top of the list.

South Gallia and River Valley are sister schools = Gallia County Local School District

Wahama and Point Pleasant are sister schools = Mason County School District

Point Pleasant and River Valley are size-wise closer to the other TVC Ohio schools than the other SEOAL schools.

Of course, I still think Warren is a logical choice as well.

So in five years from now, after the dust has settled from recent TVC expansion, after a few years of a 6 school and 9 school breakdown, we could offer spots to Warren, Point Pleasant, and River Valley.

This could create 2 nine-school divisions. If nine school divisions work, we keep it at that. If we find it is too many schools for a division, we would have the luxery of creating a brand new third division and create 3 divisions of 6 teams each.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

NY BUCKS wrote:Just say it does happen.With jackson warren gallia all are going to need games.With the belpre game gone it makes since to make a game happen with one Jackson or gallia.NY GALLIA would be a great one.or warren.Just my thoughts

I agree! If the NY vs. Belpre rivalry must die, let's bring back one of our former rivals to replace Belpre. NY and Warren played every season from NY's first season in 1967 until Warren's last year in the TVC in 1985.

The '67-'69 games were non-league and the '70-'85 games were TVC league games.

The two schools have not played each other since 1985.

NY has played Jackson a total of three times since leaving the SEOAL - '90, '91, and '94.

NY has never played Gallia Academy since leaving the SEOAL.

NY also played Jackson and Gallia Academy in the three years NY was in the SEOAL ('67-'69) and of course the former Nelsonville Greyhounds played Jackson and Gallia Academy every year before that going back to the 1920's.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

NYBuckeye96 wrote:If the Ohio added two schools, at this point, you would have to have River Valley and Point Pleasant at the top of the list.

South Gallia and River Valley are sister schools = Gallia County Local School District

Wahama and Point Pleasant are sister schools = Mason County School District

Point Pleasant and River Valley are size-wise closer to the other TVC Ohio schools than the other SEOAL schools.

Of course, I still think Warren is a logical choice as well.

So in five years from now, after the dust has settled from recent TVC expansion, after a few years of a 6 school and 9 school breakdown, we could offer spots to Warren, Point Pleasant, and River Valley.

This could create 2 nine-school divisions. If nine school divisions work, we keep it at that. If we find it is too many schools for a division, we would have the luxery of creating a brand new third division and create 3 divisions of 6 teams each.

It is nice to see that you agree with me about the fact that the TVC needs to let the dust settle and let the new teams settle in before adding any more teams!!!

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

How big is Wahama anyways? How many total boys does Wahama have in the three grades used to calculate divisions in Ohio?

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

NYBuckeye96 wrote:How big is Wahama anyways? How many total boys does Wahama have in the three grades used to calculate divisions in Ohio?

I am not sure of there exact numbers, but from what I know they would be D-6 in Ohio!!

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Wahama is a class A school with a total enrollment of 437 in grades 7-12.
They have 202 boys in grades 9,10,11
According to the[url]http://www.wvssac.org/new_site/WVSSAC_WebSite/HTML/schooldir.asp/url]

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Orange and Brown wrote:Wahama is a class A school with a total enrollment of 437 in grades 7-12.
According to the[url]http://www.wvssac.org/new_site/WVSSAC_WebSite/HTML/schooldir.asp/url]

202 boys? That would be D IV in Ohio. Is that right? Why would they be in the Hocking Division if they are that big????

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

NYBuckeye96 wrote:
Orange and Brown wrote:Wahama is a class A school with a total enrollment of 437 in grades 7-12.

202 boys? That would be D IV in Ohio. Is that right? Why would they be in the Hocking Division if they are that big????

Well they can't really hang with the bigger teams! If you look at who they have been playing over the last few years you would see that they always schedule small schools.
They more than likely have the same enrollment problems as the rest of us with student population getting smaller year after year.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

That is a big difference though. 202 boys is about the size of Alexander. Meaning, Wahama would be larger than Wellston and NY.

Belpre will be the largest Hocking school at 140 boys and dropping. Fed Hock isnt too far behind and also in fast decline. The rest all have between 88-112 boys.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

2008-2012 Classification: A
Grades: 7-12 Colors: Red and White
Mascot: Falcon Nickname: White Falcons
Total Enrollment: 437

Ok, they are not that big. They have 437 total students in grades 7-12.

Based on the law of averages, they would have 109 boys in grades 9-11. That would be a perfect fit in the Hocking, just behind Trimble's 112 boys.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

NYBuckeye96 wrote:That is a big difference though. 202 boys is about the size of Alexander. Meaning, Wahama would be larger than Wellston and NY.

Belpre will be the largest Hocking school at 140 boys and dropping. Fed Hock isnt too far behind and also in fast decline. The rest all have between 88-112 boys.

I guess we can look at it from the stand point of Trimble really needs someone to challenge for the title every year.
Now Trimble, Fed Hock, Wahama, Waterford(on some years), and Belpre(Who should do well in the Hocking) It won't be a 1 or 2 horse race anymore!

I don't think they have more than 30 to 35 boys playing football every year.

You would think this move has been planned for some time now. There is no way this is a spur of the moment thing. When I first heard that they were voted in I didn't believe it until I got a pm from a very good source that it was true. I think it will be interesting to see the non-league schedules come out.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

NYBuckeye96 wrote:2008-2012 Classification: A
Grades: 7-12 Colors: Red and White
Mascot: Falcon Nickname: White Falcons
Total Enrollment: 437

Ok, they are not that big. They have 437 total students in grades 7-12.

Based on the law of averages, they would have 109 boys in grades 9-11. That would be a perfect fit in the Hocking, just behind Trimble's 112 boys.

If you go to the link were it lists what schools are in what classes. Wahama is listed in class (A) with 202

tommygnosis
Riding the Bench

Post by tommygnosis »

Wahama is a perfect fit for the TVC-hocking in both size and location

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Orange and Brown wrote:If you go to the link were it lists what schools are in what classes. Wahama is listed in class (A) with 202

Ok, that 202 number is not calculating boys in grades 9-11. WV must calculate things differently. If you look at that list, there are only 28 schools smaller than Wahama in WV. If they calculated like we do in Ohio, there is no way a school the size of Alexander would be the 28th smallest school in all of WV.

Little tiny Buffalo is listed at 216. I know that school isn't bigger than Alexander!

Something is fishy with those WV numbers.

I bet those are TOTAL ENROLLMENT - Boys AND Girls.

That would fit perfectly into the law of averages.
Last edited by NYBuckeye96 on Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

NYBuckeye96 wrote:
Orange and Brown wrote:If you go to the link were it lists what schools are in what classes. Wahama is listed in class (A) with 202

Ok, that 202 number is not calculating grades 9-11. WV must calculate things differently. If you look at that list, there are only 28 schools smaller than Wahama in WV. If they calculated like we do in Ohio, there is no way a school the size of Alexander would be the 28th smallest school in all of WV.

Little tiny Buffalo is listed with 216 boys. I know that school isn't bigger than Alexander!

Something is fishy with those WV numbers.

I think they may either count all there grades or they count boys and girls and don't have different classes for different sports.

Return to “Football”