Week 5 River Valley @ Waterford

hound dog
Waterboy

Re: Week 5 River Valley @ Waterford

Post by hound dog »

fuzzhead wrote:This is just tragic.
Waterford is a bad DVI team and RV - a DIV team - is the underdog.

Shame, shame, shame on all responsible for the mess in RV.

Yes Shame Shame. Someone needs to clean house and bring in a whole new coaching staff with some new ideas. They have some talented kids with alot of heart (which everyone has said they don't) but there are already several who don't want to play next year because of the coach. Being put down and belittled on the radio last week has turned alot of the kids off. It is only because of there love for the game they are still there. Next year though, Who Knows????

hound dog
Waterboy

Post by hound dog »

KarlAgathon wrote:I think RV gets this one.

God I hope so.

hound dog
Waterboy

Post by hound dog »

RvDistanceGuy wrote:Why would RV ever run a spread offense?! As a general rule, when you have a traditionally weak program and trying to turn it around...you simplify. Spread offenses should be reserved for the most experienced and talented squads. You need some pretty good wideouts, and a great QB as a centerpiece to run something like this. Graduating from RV and having watched the program for years, it needs to be realized that they need to stop chasing the golden hind of a league championship and instead focus on process. That will lead to the results, or at least the results they should be looking for. By this, I mean stop playing favorites. Why sit certain kids out, who show up to practice and work hard, just because they aren't talented? Can you get worse than 0-10? I hate to concede the point based on an 0-10 team, because I think every h.s. team should do this regardless of how the wind blows on their W-L column. Whats wrong with a culture change? You can still start the guys that you see as the most talented, but just rotate everyone in at some point and make it a priority. All I'm saying is: don't throw away a chance to fulfill the REAL goal of scholastic sports in pursuit of the one that seems to have become more important. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water, otherwise you accomplish neither. This is just something I've been thinking about lately, and it's based on what I've seen from the time I was in jr. high until now.

You are exactly right, yes there are only 5 seniors, but they cant do it all. There are alot of other talented kids out there too. Stop dwelling on the seniors and lets see what some of these younger boys can do!!!

Blue_nd_Gray
JV Team

Post by Blue_nd_Gray »

BlizzardMan wrote:If the Raiders come with a spread that has more than one play designed, they have a chance. I want to pick them badly, but I take Waterford 18-7, Sorry Raider fans.

No need to apologize "frigid one",from what i saw last week. this won't be close!
the sad thing is when you can line up with the fullback and tb and get 5 to 6 yards when the other team expects it,what could you do when they expect you to pass?
RV's defense is horrible and it is the same problem they had when they had talent,they give up 60yard TD's! they need to def change defensive coaches this winter,these kids take bad angles thay can't tackle,they over pursue,they let wr's get behind them (the safties). ZERO discipline on defense.Time for change

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

What are the Raiders doing on defense this year? 4-4? 5-3?

Blue_nd_Gray
JV Team

Post by Blue_nd_Gray »

4-4 til they die with no one covering the TE,same as the last 4-5 years.
the reason they say they run this is to put 8 men in the box but the way they play it the OLB play as corners most of the time,wierd!!

the problem is no disclipine what so ever they get sucked in so bad on misdirection it leaves the backside wide open and they can't read a lick,even simple run reads or screens. i hate to say it the coaches are all nice guys but it is obvious the kids aren't getting it or aren't taught it. it's been exactly the same result but the last 3-4 years there was a lot more talent.
Last edited by Blue_nd_Gray on Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BBallin fool
SEOP

Post by BBallin fool »

You got to adjust your D !!!And the nice guy best stay home, I'm a 5-2 man an adjust to who you play.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

RvDistanceGuy wrote:Why would RV ever run a spread offense?! As a general rule, when you have a traditionally weak program and trying to turn it around...you simplify. Spread offenses should be reserved for the most experienced and talented squads. You need some pretty good wideouts, and a great QB as a centerpiece to run something like this. Graduating from RV and having watched the program for years, it needs to be realized that they need to stop chasing the golden hind of a league championship and instead focus on process. That will lead to the results, or at least the results they should be looking for. By this, I mean stop playing favorites. Why sit certain kids out, who show up to practice and work hard, just because they aren't talented? Can you get worse than 0-10? I hate to concede the point based on an 0-10 team, because I think every h.s. team should do this regardless of how the wind blows on their W-L column. Whats wrong with a culture change? You can still start the guys that you see as the most talented, but just rotate everyone in at some point and make it a priority. All I'm saying is: don't throw away a chance to fulfill the REAL goal of scholastic sports in pursuit of the one that seems to have become more important. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water, otherwise you accomplish neither. This is just something I've been thinking about lately, and it's based on what I've seen from the time I was in jr. high until now.

Because keeping it simple has not worked for 15 years!

RvDistanceGuy
Waterboy

Post by RvDistanceGuy »

Blizzard man, correlation does not equal causation. How do you know it was not another factor that has caused their lack of success. There were a couple good years thrown in there in 03 and 04. That offense, under Deel, was fairly simple. There are plenty of other factors that could have caused the poor performances year after year. To blame it solely on an offensive style, especially when you're talking about a high school program (not a college program that can recruit for a given style), is a little shortsighted. Take it back to basics and keep it there; control for that factor and look elsewhere for the problem.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

RvDistanceGuy wrote:Blizzard man, correlation does not equal causation. How do you know it was not another factor that has caused their lack of success. There were a couple good years thrown in there in 03 and 04. That offense, under Deel, was fairly simple. There are plenty of other factors that could have caused the poor performances year after year. To blame it solely on an offensive style, especially when you're talking about a high school program (not a college program that can recruit for a given style), is a little shortsighted. Take it back to basics and keep it there; control for that factor and look elsewhere for the problem.

I know, I played on both of those teams. Defense is the big reason for the lack of success. Basically, they have some athletes but never use them. We were successful those years because we played pretty good D and we played according to what we had. If you lacck size, which RV does, how can you be successful pounding the ball up the gut all game?

RVRaiderFan
All State

Post by RVRaiderFan »

Final score???

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

WSAZ says RV 26 Waterford 6. Congrats Raiders. If you beat those guys, there is at least 1 league game that is winnable, probably 2.
need details on the game somebody. What did RV do to win?

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

RV could beat Chesapeake this year. . .
Congrats Raiders! Build on this.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

Correction Waterfor 26 RV 6. Bummer. Congrats Wildcats.

DASANI
Riding the Bench

Post by DASANI »

fuzzhead wrote:RV could beat Chesapeake this year. . .
Congrats Raiders! Build on this.

love how after you bash them you tell them good job haha

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

I didn't bash them. I thought they won. :(

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

RvDistanceGuy
Waterboy

Post by RvDistanceGuy »

I don't think simple involves running it up the gut necessarily. What's wrong with the I-formation, running simple passing plays, and sticking to the "classic" offensive strategies. Running a spread to load the field with more receivers (which takes a great h.s. QB to even read all of them) seems counter-intuitive to me. I would guess the percentage of h.s. QBs that can make those complex reads and go through the progressions for more than 2 receivers is probably pretty low. If you played on those teams, then we went to RV around the same time. I'm sure we knew each other. Those were good times for all the sports at RV. Our classes were pretty talented around that period of time.

Rvfan
Freshman Team

Post by Rvfan »

You want to know what I think? I think some of you genious's on here should have took the coaching job at RV when it was open. I mean if you had they would have already won the OVC for the last 2 years. Heck you should have taken it back when the school was first born!!!! Rv would have had years of league championships under their belts, they would have been undefeated!!!!!! I have never saw so many experts in one place. You all have all the answers, but I will bet not a one of you are now or will ever be on a coaching staff anywhwere!!! You constantly bash young inexperienced team because they can't seem to get a win. I have watched them play every week, and they are improving tremendously. They have moved the ball against every team that they have played. Mistakes have taken their toll on them. But as most of you "experts" already know, that is what you get with a young team. Someone made the statement in a previous post, "let some of the younger kids play" Wht team are you watching????? that is all that they have, freshmen , sophomores and juniors!!! Those kids are playing their hearts out, and all you can do is bash them and their coaching staff. Those players get on this web site also, and they read all the crap that you all post. How do you think that makes them feel? I would be willing to bet not a one of you have anyone playing on that team, because if you do........then you are more of a moron than I thought. If you can say nothing positive about them, then don't post anything, and that doesn't go for RV only, that goes for all the teams. And do me one more favor....... set up a meeting with the coaching staff of RV, they might just take some of your expert opinions.......and tell you just wht you can do with them!!!!! Good Luck Raiders there are a few sane people out here that can see that the effort is there, and that we are behind you and applaud your heart!!!!

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

RVFAN wrote:You want to know what I think? I think some of you genious's on here should have took the coaching job at RV when it was open. I mean if you had they would have already won the OVC for the last 2 years. Heck you should have taken it back when the school was first born!!!! Rv would have had years of league championships under their belts, they would have been undefeated!!!!!! I have never saw so many experts in one place. You all have all the answers, but I will bet not a one of you are now or will ever be on a coaching staff anywhwere!!! You constantly bash young inexperienced team because they can't seem to get a win. I have watched them play every week, and they are improving tremendously. They have moved the ball against every team that they have played. Mistakes have taken their toll on them. But as most of you "experts" already know, that is what you get with a young team. Someone made the statement in a previous post, "let some of the younger kids play" Wht team are you watching????? that is all that they have, freshmen , sophomores and juniors!!! Those kids are playing their hearts out, and all you can do is bash them and their coaching staff. Those players get on this web site also, and they read all the crap that you all post. How do you think that makes them feel? I would be willing to bet not a one of you have anyone playing on that team, because if you do........then you are more of a moron than I thought. If you can say nothing positive about them, then don't post anything, and that doesn't go for RV only, that goes for all the teams. And do me one more favor....... set up a meeting with the coaching staff of RV, they might just take some of your expert opinions.......and tell you just wht you can do with them!!!!! Good Luck Raiders there are a few sane people out here that can see that the effort is there, and that we are behind you and applaud your heart!!!!

We aren't really bashing you idiot! We are trying to come up with reasons why they are not winning. Do you want us to say that everything is fine, good job, and go get them next time? That doesn't work. Apparently you never played anything competetive in your life! No one is bashing, we are just giving opinions. If you don't like it, go somewhere else!
Distance guy, I played center and graduated in 05, and you were part of a very good XC team as the #2 guy behind Chris right?

Return to “Football”