WK6 Minford 16 Wheelersburg 15 SOC II

Who Wins?

Total votes: 0

Jumpshot
Riding the Bench

Re: WK6 Minford 16 Wheelersburg 15 SOC II

Post by Jumpshot »

Usually the ones yelling for a coach's job are parents whose kids are not getting to play or not getting the ball. That's all they really care about, no matter what they say. It's just the usual. Others are quiet and just know that's the way it goes with a bunch of kids playing games for their friends, parents, grandparents, and the community. Sometimes Players--good ones and bad ones-- not coaches, fumble, don't make the catch, over-throw, miss tackles, miss extra points, make the wrong read, it goes on and on. When that happens, good teams lose. The Pirate coach has the support of his team and most of the people who care at burg. Lewis did, too. (Unless you talk to parents/grandparents who think their kid didn't get the ball enough, or didn't get enough playing time, or that he made the kids lose with decisions, yadda, yadda, yadda.....It's the same EVERYWHERE) It's always the same ole same ole. Hopefully posters, including Minford posters, don't blow something unimportant in life way out of proportion. It was only a high school football game, after all. Kids keep playing because they love it, coaches keep coaching and doing a fine job in spite of it, and life goes on. It really isn't that important, and those who think it is, might want to re-think their priorities. Minford has a good team this year, and a good coach. So does burg. And they played a nice game last week. That's all there is to it, really. Now, both teams go on and play someone else. The kids have moved on. And so should we. If someone can't and thinks they must still gloat or point fingers, then that person really has a problem with understanding what is important in life.

West Side Pride
All Conference

Post by West Side Pride »

^^^^I've been waiting for one of you guys from up there to say that. If the burg fans
don't stay in check and back their coach, then in due time, the players won't either.

Burg#1
JV Team

Post by Burg#1 »

Jumpshot wrote:Usually the ones yelling for a coach's job are parents whose kids are not getting to play or not getting the ball. That's all they really care about, no matter what they say. It's just the usual. Others are quiet and just know that's the way it goes with a bunch of kids playing games for their friends, parents, grandparents, and the community. Sometimes Players--good ones and bad ones-- not coaches, fumble, don't make the catch, over-throw, miss tackles, miss extra points, make the wrong read, it goes on and on. When that happens, good teams lose. The Pirate coach has the support of his team and most of the people who care at burg. Lewis did, too. (Unless you talk to parents/grandparents who think their kid didn't get the ball enough, or didn't get enough playing time, or that he made the kids lose with decisions, yadda, yadda, yadda.....It's the same EVERYWHERE) It's always the same ole same ole. Hopefully posters, including Minford posters, don't blow something unimportant in life way out of proportion. It was only a high school football game, after all. Kids keep playing because they love it, coaches keep coaching and doing a fine job in spite of it, and life goes on. It really isn't that important, and those who think it is, might want to re-think their priorities. Minford has a good team this year, and a good coach. So does burg. And they played a nice game last week. That's all there is to it, really. Now, both teams go on and play someone else. The kids have moved on. And so should we. If someone can't and thinks they must still gloat or point fingers, then that person really has a problem with understanding what is important in life.

Very good quote- to the big guy who keeps yelling at the boys to "get up down there" try standing up and cheering and get the other people to stand up and cheer instead of yelling at the boys- they feed off of us in the stands and when we get down they get down- its time to support the boys and the coaches ;-)

TrojanBuff
JV Team

Post by TrojanBuff »

Great win Minford. We (Portsmouth) knew after playing you in the scrimmage this year that your team was for real. You proved that on Friday.

May the best team win, when Minford v. West play.

Moses Guthrie
Varsity

Post by Moses Guthrie »

Minford/Burg on channel 24 right now, almost halftime......

marshallman
Varsity

Post by marshallman »

First off - congrats to the Mighty Minford Falcons on the big win!
second, I'm not surprised at all. As I said before this game Minford had to not turn the ball over, mix it up and keep it close they should win.
Speed was going to kill Minford? Well, burg has speed and guess what, so does Minford. Minford went for it on 4th and 5 around the 50 yard line. I was leery of Minford going for it but we got the first down and it gave them confidence.
Burg went for the win, if they scored Minford remains snake bit and burg coaches look like genius. Burg didn't lose because they gave Minford gifts or you can say Minford lost last year for giving burg gifts with the fumbles. Burg is very good this year, to say they are down is an ignorant comment. Minford and burg are even in talent, speed, quickness and strength. That's why you had the 1 point win. Minford is becoming a power program year in and year out, not a great team every 5 years.
I think Minford really showed the SOC that they are a team not to be taken lightly anymore. Anyway, I hope these insane predictions are a thing of the past. The burg is loaded this year and no one can say they are down. Maybe, Minford is that good. Go, Falcons!

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Can someone tell me what station the Minford/Burg game was played on? I would like to check and see if they have a link to it and pull it up.

Thanks

RipOne
Waterboy

Post by RipOne »

The only way Woodward would've looked good is if they win with a 2-pt conversion. Another blocked/missed point after and the "know it all's" gripe about how lousy the line blocks or how he should've gone for two. A tie to take it to overtime and those same people say he's too soft, gotta go for the jugular. They had momentum, so he goes for the win...it just doesn't work. That's what a coach has to deal with. After the opening loss to Ironton, the Burg and coaches were the best thing since sliced bread. A loss to a tough opponent on a difficult call and he's an idiot. Gotta love those armchair QB's, don't ya? I say congrats to Minford on a hard-fought win, but congrat's to the Burg and the coaching staff as well for a hard-fought loss and having the guts to make such a tough decision to go for two. Keep up the good work, guys, and let's get back on the winning track.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

If what I just read on the Burg/Northwest thread is true that original play on the 2 pt conversion was supposed to be a sweep to the right with Shank but Lang changed the play and called his own number. Personally, I thought going for two was risky but gutsy. Why not try to tie it and take your chances in OT?

Another thing, the only problem I had with the coaching was the bonehead call for a pass play at the end of the half when you are buried at your own 10 yard line. You've got a 9-0 lead, around 2 minutes left in the half, your running the ball at will against Minfords defense, and you get the ball to open the second half. Why not just run out the clock and go in up 9 points??? If you take away that play and the rest of the game plays out exactly as it did the Pirates come away with a 15-13 win, but instead Lang throws a pick and the Falcons get a FG to go in down 9-3. That cost the Burg the game, not the missed 2 pt conversion. People say 1 play doesn't win or lose a game, well that one play lost the game for the Burg.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

If I'm a coach on the road, and I just drove the ball down the field eating up huge chunks of yardage on a somewhat wet field there is no way I'm kicking. No way.

free safety
Riding the Bench

Post by free safety »

Let's all look back at week 2 West vs Portsmouth, Pendelton just scored with under 3minutes in the game West goes for the tie and misses. Everbody in the county says why in the hell did they not go for the WIN...

I respect Rob for having faith in the boys because they are the ones wanted to go for the win. And Lang did not change the play at the line.

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

After having time to think about the game and read the comments on this thread this is my opinion.

Alot of factors go into a coaches decision to make the call in that situation. Condition of your players (were they spent), condition of the field, confidence of your team, momentum of the game, etc.

What would have been said if they would have made the 2 pt conversion and won the ball game. No one would be questioning the call and would be happy.

Honestly, I think it was the wrong decision as I would go for the tie and take our chances in OT. But that would be my decision. I respect and applaud Coach Woodwards aggressiveness. Everyone always talks about how Burg is conservative with the lead in the 2nd half and seems to play not to lose. Well they played to win last friday but came up short.

Alot was learned from last fridays ball game and Burg will be a stronger team from those lessons.

seasick80
All State

Post by seasick80 »

This is the first chance I have had to post and I want to say congrats to the falcons on their win and good luck tomorrow night. Oesch did a heck of a job in the 1st half keeping craigmiles from getting him behind the line numerous times and he made the yards to keep Burg off the field by his running. 2nd half was all Minford from what I could tell till the end of the game. If there is crow to eat, i ate it. But i said b4 i left that I thought it would be close, and it was. As for the Burg, i agree with the previous statements. Go for 1, golden rule when ur visitors. Dont pass the ball deep in ur territory that close to half up 9-0. keep the falcons down by running the ball. pooch kick to start 2nd, not sure if was a designed play because adkins is a good ball handler, jsut wasnt on that play. Nice call anyway. Minford it seemed to me had the wide side of the field very well covered against burgs offense by standing a DE, LB, and corner on the edge of the TE and they covered the field from there to the sideline. So why not run the same sweep to the short side? They had DE and LB only cause the CB was ready to run his arse off to cover the wide side in support. We did run Shank successfully on the offtacle but no straight sweep with craigmiles and lang leading like they did vs Portsmouth to the short side. Where were the quick passes to craigmiles out wide? Dont think I saw one. And Minfords dline and LBs were tired nearing the end of the first half and we should have kept cramming it down their throat till they brought ten in the box!! HAHA, then gone for quick pitch etc.. Then our Dline and LBs were tiring near the end of the game3 chasing oesch around! We have alot of depth, suprised we didnt go with the quicker dline earlier when oesch in shotgun 70% of the time. Again, good job by the Falcons and Pirates. Instant classic.

Return to “Football”