Can the Oaks make the playoffs?

OaksFootballFan
Waterboy

Can the Oaks make the playoffs?

Post by OaksFootballFan »

IF everything goes as planned the rest of the season and we clinch the perfect 10-0 season with defeats of the likes of Trimble, Minford, and East. WILL the Oaks make the playoffs?

whompascat
All Conference

Re: Can the Oaks make the playoffs?

Post by whompascat »

beating a DVI trimble won't help much

west siders
All State

Post by west siders »

are they DV or DVI?

riverball
JV Team

Post by riverball »

Oak Hill is Div V
Trimble is Div VI West Sider

I think if Oak Hill wins out, they will probably sneak in. Even though they play pretty much D VI schools the rest of the way out. I couple of those have decent records right now and will be beating each other back as the season closes. A couple will end up 5-5 and SV if they lose to Oak Hill might end up 8-2. Or, if SV beats Oak Hill they could end up 9-1, so Oak Hill which doesn't help the Oaks at all. They can't just overlook anyone. They MUST win all the rest of their games to even have a shot.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

In my opinion...

10-0 = In the playoffs, but a home game may be tough to get
9-1 = On the bubble, just depends on the rest of the region

I haven't looked that closely at Region 19, but I would say that the Oaks certainly control their own destiny. Win and the Oaks are in. A slip up and they could need help.

Good luck to Coach Phillips, his staff, and the Oaks. Would love to see a perfect season for them!

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

It would be a real shame for them not to make it. It is a heartbreak going 10-0 and not making it. It happened when I was a junior in high school, but that's when they only took two teams per region. I believe only one 10-0 team has not made it since the format went to 8 teams per region. That was Newcomerstown, about 5 or 6 years ago.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

It's simple to me: 10-0 = playoffs, anything else and they're out, period. The odds of not making the playoffs at 10-0 are slim. If they lose to anyone left on their schedule, they don't deserve to be in.
However, just the fact that this being discussed should get people up there to seriously consider getting out of the SOCI.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

I think what might hurt them is the non league games. River Valley and Rock Hill will only more than likely win 1 game (thats if they play each other) Chesapeake will probably only win 2 more games, RV and RH. If Minford throws in the towel after last nights loss, they have a chance of only winning 3 more games, NW, Valley and Waverly and I'm not so sure about the 2nd one. I think the Oaks playoff chances all hinges on how the Falcons end up the season.

They do finish with 5 DVI schools and that is going to hurt. I would like to see them get in just to have another representative for the area. if Minford wins out, then they are in also and even if they lose a game (to the Pirates of course, :-D ) it will be tough for them

Curious George
Riding the Bench

Post by Curious George »

Even if Minford only wins 2 more games, and their other 4 defeated opponents only win 6 or 7 more games (Trimble is capable of winning 5 by themselves, with 4 being very likely); the Oaks will get in if they win out.

Assuming they win out, they will finish with 38.0 First Level Points for a 3.8000 average on the first level. They will need between 110.0 - 120.0 Second Level Points in order to have a high enough average "traditionally speaking" to get in.

1. Right now they have 24.5 2nd Level Points
2. Trimble, Chesapeake, River Valley, and Rock Hill should get them between 29.5 and 38.0 more points (with Trimble getting the majority of those and the other three teams benefiting from playing each other in the same league.)
3. Their 4 SOC I opponents plus South Gallia currently have a total of 41.0 points for the Oaks to collect on the 2nd level when they beat them
4. Those same SOC I schools plus South Gallia will also collect points from beating each other. Assuming East and Symmes Valley beat Green, ND and SG as they should (plus they play each other); those two teams will combine to give Oak Hill 24.5 additional 2nd Level Points. The other three will give 10.5 additional 2nd Level Points. That's 35.0 total in addition to the 41.0 those five opponents already bring...76.0 if you are keeping score.

The way I see it, that's 24.5 plus 76.0 for sure by winning out, which totals 100.5. Then you will have anywhere between 29.5 and 38.0 in addition to that, for a total of 130.0 - 138.5 Second Level Points.

If the Oaks win out, they should be able to get in.

tomcatdad
JV Team

Post by tomcatdad »

good luck making the playoffs. you guys have a good team and deserve to make it if you keep winning!!!

2old
All Conference

Post by 2old »

i hope the Oaks make it. Scheduling football is difficult. Sounds like the Oaks are living dangerously by not playing tougher non league opponents.

bball fan123
Freshman Team

Post by bball fan123 »

You should make it if you win the rest of your games. You are ahead of us right now on points due to Ironton beating us.

crazee-oakaholic
All Conference

Post by crazee-oakaholic »

GO OAKS

iwearblacknikes
S

Post by iwearblacknikes »

Sure the Oaks can make the playoffs. LETS GO OAKS!

Blue_nd_Gray
JV Team

Post by Blue_nd_Gray »

2old wrote:i hope the Oaks make it. Scheduling football is difficult. Sounds like the Oaks are living dangerously by not playing tougher non league opponents.

They never do and never will, they joined the SVAC once which was made up of the smallest schools in the state and won the league only 2 of 4 years. what were they doing in that league?

Why are they in the small division of the SOC? They are the same size as Wheelersburg and Minford and the other schools. Yet they are in with div 6 schools.
Live by the sword die by the sword,if they don't make it is is deserved.

Oakie1
Waterboy

Post by Oakie1 »

Blue_nd_Gray wrote:
2old wrote:i hope the Oaks make it. Scheduling football is difficult. Sounds like the Oaks are living dangerously by not playing tougher non league opponents.

They never do and never will, they joined the SVAC once which was made up of the smallest schools in the state and won the league only 2 of 4 years. what were they doing in that league?

Why are they in the small division of the SOC? They are the same size as Wheelersburg and Minford and the other schools. Yet they are in with div 6 schools.
Live by the sword die by the sword,if they don't make it is is deserved.

Buddy, you need to get your facts straight. The Oaks won the SVAC almost every year they were in the league and maybe every year. Oaks fans please clarify how many years we were in the SVAC and how many years we won it. And we didn't decide what division we were going into when we joined the conference, the SOC did and until Valley left, no one had a problem with us in this division and why should you, we have never won it. Now that we have got a good team, you are going to get on here and bash us?

Yes, we will make the playoffs and we would have made it plenty more other times if they took 8 teams like they do now. But because we played in such a small school conference, we were always knock out but we were always 5th or 6th.

Get your facts straight before you come on this thread bashing the Mighty Oaks.

oneoak
Varsity

Post by oneoak »

Oak Hill was in the SVAC from 1986 to 1991. The league champions during those years were as follows.

1986 - Oak Hill
1987 - Oak Hill
1988 - Oak Hill
1989- Symmes Valley
1990- Kyger Creek, Oak Hill
1991- Oak Hill

1987 has been the only 10-0 team since football started at Oak Hill in 1919. The Oaks went 37-3 under coach Jeff Conroy during that time.

Downtown
Freshman Team

Post by Downtown »

Oak Hill actually had a team in the 30's or 40's that went 8-0-1, technically making that team another undefeated team. And in 1920, they were 4-0.

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

Based upon where they currently sit, I think the Oaks will need help and some 2nd level points to get in. With 5 D6 schools remaining they will most likely lose ground every week on the others in the rankings unless the others lose. Minford win will help with 2nd level as they will probably finish 8-2 or 7-3.

F-4 Phantom
Varsity

Post by F-4 Phantom »

There is absolutely nothing anyone can do at this point but win. The cards have been dealt, to Oak Hill, Valley, Ironton, the Burg, Portsmouth etc....You play your cards. The only thing you can control are the games. You win the games and the rest will take care of itself. I can't believe some are on this board, barely half way through the season, talking about playoffs. Anything can happen on any Friday night.

Return to “Football”