Lutz goes for Record (7-1) Nelsonville-York @ (6-2) Ironton

powerliftingnut
Freshman Team

Re: Lutz goes for Record (7-1) Nelsonville-York @ (6-2) Ironton

Post by powerliftingnut »

An interesting side note to this game. Coach Boston sr. and Coach Lutz were team mates at Marshall together. Lutz took a few years away then come back as the head coach, Boston took some time off and is now in the Booth for the Buckeyes. I thought that was pretty cool. As a former player and a father of two boys on the team I am so glad that my boys can relate to the stories I tell them about Coach sr. in my playing days and to have him on the field for practice and games with my boys right now is a great thing. We are very excited about our opportunity this friday. Go Bucks!

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

Weather could be a big factor Friday as the forecast is for a good soaking..........no predictions as usual, just hoping for a good hard fought game by both teams. One thing I do hope for is to get the win for Coach Lutz and possibly capture a first round home game for the playoffs. For the Seniors, this is your chance to be a part of history at the Tank so strap em on and give it your best shot and come out a winner.

As Mum would say.........HIT SOMEBODY

As Spanky would say......NUFF SAID

NYBucksDad
JV Team

Post by NYBucksDad »

LET’S GO BUCKEYE’S get ready two more days till game time.

As Coach Rosser would say to our youth team LET’S GET READY TO PLAY BUCKEYE FOOTBALL BOY’S

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

An article from the Athens News...........short and to the point.......

http://athensnews.com/editorial/blogs/high-school-sports-scene/29365-nelsonville-york-trying-to-stop-history-

Nelsonville-York trying to stop history

Written by Garrett Downing
Wednesday, 21 October 2009 01:29

No team wants to be the one gives up a record, and no team wants to be the one that allows history to be made against them.

But the Nelsonville-York Buckeyes find themselves in a tough spot this week as they have to go to Ironton and play a Fighting Tigers team that has the chance to give head coach Bob Lutz the record for most wins (361) in the history of Ohio high school football.

Talk about everyone rooting against you.

After last week’s win over Portsmouth Bob Lutz tied to become the all-time winningest coach in Ohio history, and a win against Nelsonville-York would put Lutz alone at the top.

The Buckeyes have enough to worry about when it comes to beating Ironton—which they have never done—and Nelsonville-York doesn’t need any other distractions. The Fighting Tigers are a Division IV team seated second in Region 15, and they’re likely looking at another home playoff game if they finish out the year with two wins.

Nelsonville-York picked up a huge boost in the playoff standings by beating Athens last week, and the Buckeyes have some momentum, but they will need to play one of their best games if they hope to leave “The Tank” with a win.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Here is an article from the Ironton Tribune.......

http://www.irontontribune.com/news/2009/oct/21/ground-attack/

Ground Attack
Ironton, N-Y feature running games

By Jim Walker | The Tribune

Originally published 05:12 a.m., October 21, 2009
Updated 05:12 a.m., October 21, 2009

This shouldn’t take too long.

The Ironton Fighting Tigers like to run the football and they run it well. The Nelsonville-York Buckeyes like to run the football and they run it well. With all that running and little passing, look for a game that shouldn’t take that long to play.

And look for a game that should have a lot of good old fashion hitting.

“They’re a tough ball club,” said Ironton coach Bob Lutz. “They’re a lot like us. They line up and come right at you and they’ve got a heck of a back. He’s probably the best back we’ll see all year.”

Lutz was referring to the Buckeyes’ 5-foot-9, 200-pound senior tailback Derek Arnold. In last week’s 14-13 win over previously unbeaten Athens, Arnold ran for 102 yards and scored two touchdowns as he logged 31 carries.

N-Y’s win over Athens virtually secured the Buckeyes a spot in the Division V playoffs and eliminated Athens from the Division III postseason. Nelsonville-York (7-1) and Ironton (6-2) need a win to lock up a first-round home game in the playoffs.

Ironton won last year’s meeting 43-28 although Arnold ran 29 times for 165 yards, caught five passes for 33 yards and returned a kickoff 68 yards to set up the second N-Y score.

“He’s strong, fast and durable. You don’t bring him down with arm tackles. We’ll have to gang tackle. If he gets in the open field, he’s capable of big plays,” said Lutz.

Arnold has a solid running mate and blocker in fullback Justin Cunningham (6-0, 195) who is also a returning starter.

“He’s better than he was last season,” said Lutz.

The quarterback is strong-armed Nathan Dean (5-9, 170) and his favorite target is end Jared Dexter (6-3, 180). The other ends are Jay Stump (5-8, 140) and Daniel Kline (6-4,180) while Isaiah Andrews (5-9,170) is the slot back.

Up front the Buckeyes had two returning starters in center Todd Dennis (5-11, 175) and left guard Nick Hunter (5-9, 220). The rest of the offensive line has Logan Milliron (5-10,225) at guard and Kyle Moore (6-3, 190) and Isaiah Mello (6-1,190) at the tackles.

“They don’t’ have great size, but they’re quick off the ball and get into their blocks. They’re a lot better than they were at the beginning of the season,” said Lutz.

On the defensive side, Lutz said the Buckeyes “are very athletic across the board.”

The nose guard is Dennis with a strong linebacking corps of Bobby Leitwein (5-7, 150), Cunningham and Andrews.

“They can all run and they’re all athletic,” said Lutz.

Left tackle is shared by Milliron and Arnold and the right tackle job is split between Hunter and Jacob Coon (5-9, 215). The ends are Dexter and Mello.

Zach Hook (6-0, 165) and Albert Fox (5-7, 145) are the corners with Mychal Mitchell (6-1, 170) the safety.

An Ironton win will not only give them a home game in the playoffs, but will give Lutz his 361st career win and place him first on the Ohio high school football all-time victory list.

Lutz currently shares first place with Terry Malone.

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

Who wants to be the team everyone else thinks is gonna win?
For Nelsonville-York, it's quite simple...you have nothing to lose and a whole lot to gain...

A win over Ironton, would most likely mean NY would be boosting their Play-Off points toward hosting a game rather than having to travel away...
Anyone who has ever played in Nelsonville knows it is hard to escaped there with a Win...so that would be huge for them...

Like I mentioned earlier, last weeks Match-Up with Athens was great for NY in terms of facing a line bigger then them, some hard runners and a strong defense. NY struggled early but kept it close, made the half-time adjustments and stole the game right back with a fantastic performance in quarters 3 and 4...

For NY, keep it close at the half, and there is no reason you cannot walk away from 'The Tank' with a 'W'...

Good Luck to NY, represent the TVC well Buckeyes!

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

NYBuckeye96 wrote:Here is an article from the Ironton Tribune.......

http://www.irontontribune.com/news/2009/oct/21/ground-attack/

Ground Attack
Ironton, N-Y feature running games

By Jim Walker | The Tribune

Originally published 05:12 a.m., October 21, 2009
Updated 05:12 a.m., October 21, 2009

This shouldn’t take too long.

The Ironton Fighting Tigers like to run the football and they run it well. The Nelsonville-York Buckeyes like to run the football and they run it well. With all that running and little passing, look for a game that shouldn’t take that long to play.

And look for a game that should have a lot of good old fashion hitting.

“They’re a tough ball club,” said Ironton coach Bob Lutz. “They’re a lot like us. They line up and come right at you and they’ve got a heck of a back. He’s probably the best back we’ll see all year.”

Lutz was referring to the Buckeyes’ 5-foot-9, 200-pound senior tailback Derek Arnold. In last week’s 14-13 win over previously unbeaten Athens, Arnold ran for 102 yards and scored two touchdowns as he logged 31 carries.

N-Y’s win over Athens virtually secured the Buckeyes a spot in the Division V playoffs and eliminated Athens from the Division III postseason. Nelsonville-York (7-1) and Ironton (6-2) need a win to lock up a first-round home game in the playoffs.

Ironton won last year’s meeting 43-28 although Arnold ran 29 times for 165 yards, caught five passes for 33 yards and returned a kickoff 68 yards to set up the second N-Y score.

“He’s strong, fast and durable. You don’t bring him down with arm tackles. We’ll have to gang tackle. If he gets in the open field, he’s capable of big plays,” said Lutz.

Arnold has a solid running mate and blocker in fullback Justin Cunningham (6-0, 195) who is also a returning starter.

“He’s better than he was last season,” said Lutz.

The quarterback is strong-armed Nathan Dean (5-9, 170) and his favorite target is end Jared Dexter (6-3, 180). The other ends are Jay Stump (5-8, 140) and Daniel Kline (6-4,180) while Isaiah Andrews (5-9,170) is the slot back.

Up front the Buckeyes had two returning starters in center Todd Dennis (5-11, 175) and left guard Nick Hunter (5-9, 220). The rest of the offensive line has Logan Milliron (5-10,225) at guard and Kyle Moore (6-3, 190) and Isaiah Mello (6-1,190) at the tackles.

“They don’t’ have great size, but they’re quick off the ball and get into their blocks. They’re a lot better than they were at the beginning of the season,” said Lutz.

On the defensive side, Lutz said the Buckeyes “are very athletic across the board.”

The nose guard is Dennis with a strong linebacking corps of Bobby Leitwein (5-7, 150), Cunningham and Andrews.

“They can all run and they’re all athletic,” said Lutz.

Left tackle is shared by Milliron and Arnold and the right tackle job is split between Hunter and Jacob Coon (5-9, 215). The ends are Dexter and Mello.

Zach Hook (6-0, 165) and Albert Fox (5-7, 145) are the corners with Mychal Mitchell (6-1, 170) the safety.

An Ironton win will not only give them a home game in the playoffs, but will give Lutz his 361st career win and place him first on the Ohio high school football all-time victory list.

Lutz currently shares first place with Terry Malone.

Nice Article!!!
Athens is D-2 and I don't think Arnold had a 100 yards last week. It was really cool to see coach Lutz say all those nice things about our boys though!! That guy is one class act!!! :122245

preps_fan1980
Freshman Team

Post by preps_fan1980 »

all these post sound familiar...just replace "NY" with "Portsmouth". "portsmouth" will give ironton a game like they've never seen. "portsmouth" can pass the ball. "portsmouth's" line will hit you in the mouth. man, can "portsmouth" run...and the result....ironton 50, "portsmouth" 28.
same score different name.
ironton 50
NY 30 <----2 points for benefit of the doubt.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

i think this is just going to be a wonderful friday, atmosphere, game , whats on the line for both teams. would be nice for the weather to hold off a day. but coach lutz and his staff deserve a huge celebration, if they win, regardless of how humble they are this is a very time consuming career. and they have done it right for 40 years.
Last edited by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT on Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TIGERS90
Varsity

Post by TIGERS90 »

Ironton by 28.....Though I believe it will take a quarter for Ironton to start to pull away...I think it will be Ironton 14-0 at the Half...and then probably a final something like 35-7...

N.Y. has a good coach and a great program...they won't stop...but this year Ironton is a special team and just now starting to kick into their playoff caliber team....Everyone is now healthy...barring the Frosh running back and our center...who won't be back this season...but as far as the flu bug..we are healthy...and I believe this week will show people that we are ready for a deep playoff run...

Go Tigers

On a side note...this week sure could be even more special...If Lutz gets the win Friday night...we all know how special that will be...but on Saturday...the Ironton Eagles A-team and B-Teams both play in the Superbowl for the Championship at 6 and 7:30 pm....if they both come out winners I believe that will be the first time that has happened...What a special weekend it would be for our kids...and fans...

buckeye_master
Freshman Team

Post by buckeye_master »

The buckeyes are on a "highway to hell" but the buckeyes all year have said "If you want blood you've got it" but this year Ironton is suppose to be a special team and just now starting to kick into their playoff caliber come on what about this buckeye team what there weak and nothing? Go ahead and think that way and u maybe back on a "leash" like the dogs are ;-) just a thought !!!! hope both teams are well and safe good luck friday night

spartacat
Freshman Team

Post by spartacat »

Good Luck to the Nelsonville-York Buckeyes! :-D

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

buckeye_master wrote:The buckeyes are on a "highway to hell" but the buckeyes all year have said "If you want blood you've got it" but this year Ironton is suppose to be a special team and just now starting to kick into their playoff caliber come on what about this buckeye team what there weak and nothing? Go ahead and think that way and u maybe back on a "leash" like the dogs are ;-) just a thought !!!! hope both teams are well and safe good luck friday night
i've not taken anything from nelsonville york. i think they have a great team. but please tell me the last sentence of your thread was not comparing the dogs being on a leash, i'm assuming athens. please tell me you are not comparing athens football program to ironton's football program.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

You're Tiger Bait wrote:
buckeye_master wrote:The buckeyes are on a "highway to hell" but the buckeyes all year have said "If you want blood you've got it" but this year Ironton is suppose to be a special team and just now starting to kick into their playoff caliber come on what about this buckeye team what there weak and nothing? Go ahead and think that way and u maybe back on a "leash" like the dogs are ;-) just a thought !!!! hope both teams are well and safe good luck friday night
i've not taken anything from nelsonville york. i think they have a great team. but please tell me the last sentence of your thread was not comparing the dogs being on a leash, i'm assuming athens. please tell me you are not comparing athens football program to ironton's football program.

I don't think he was comparing the 2 programs. I think he was saying that if Ironton overlooks us like Athens did then they will lose like Athens did. Athens felt like this was there years and NY wasn't good enough to beat them, A lot of the players bought into that and I think it hurt them in the end.

NY BUCKS
All State

Post by NY BUCKS »

I think this NY TEAM HAS WHAT IT TAKE TO GET ER DONE.
GO BUCKEYES.

tk421
Varsity

Post by tk421 »

According to Weather.com there is a 60% chance of rain on Friday. What is up with it raining every Friday, this is the 5-6th straight week.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE

TIGERS90
Varsity

Post by TIGERS90 »

What a weekend this could be for the ironton faithful...as long as everything goes well...let's go tigers....get it done...

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Look out!!!!!
Those Tiger fans don't know whats about to happen this Friday night!!!!!!!!!!!

Smell that?
:122245 :122245 :122245 :122245

Smells like roasted tiger to me!!!!!!!

Tiger Man
Varsity

Post by Tiger Man »

I will tell you what the TIGER fans do know.... We will be dry sitting under the roof out of the rain while our TIGERS beat the Buckeyes.

GO TIGER GO!!!!

Return to “Football”