What is the WORST thing about athletics.

Purple Gold
Freshman Team

What is the WORST thing about athletics.

Post by Purple Gold »

I just want to know what you think is the worst thing you have to put up with as a player, parent, fan or coach. Please keep it clean and no names.

camnott
Varsity

Re: What is the WORST thing about athletics.

Post by camnott »

Scheduling any vacations when you have a 3 sport child ,OR TWO! :lol:

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

The worst thing about athletics is when fans forget that win or lose, it's just a game.

The best thing about sports are the skills learned that help you succeed later in life. For parents, fans, and everyone else, that is what is most important. Winning or losing the game isn't what counts. Sure we all want to win, we all want a league championship in every sport, and we all want to go undefeated, but when it comes down to it, that is not the most important thing about athletics. Sometimes what is important is lost with all the hoopla of having championships. The team who is 0-10 in football works just as hard as the team who is 10-0; the team who is 0-20 in basketball works just as hard as the team who is 20-0. The skills learned thru the work ethic is what matters the most to all players, no matter how many games are won.

Purple Tornado
Riding the Bench

Post by Purple Tornado »

For a coach, parents and or players not buying into the program. As a parent, an incompetent coach. As a player, invasive parents, and or incompetent coach.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

for me i'd have to say a career ending knee injury, that virtually blew everything out in my knee, 4 surgeries, and 32 years later, i have a steel knee. but i'd do it again.

Storm Chaser
Riding the Bench

Post by Storm Chaser »

It's no good if the parents and community don't buy into the program, but equally bad are the parents, grandparents, etc. who think their kid is the greatest in the world and should be the star quarterback, running back, etc. :lol:

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

i was not trying to be shallow, that was what it was for me, i've coached and played the game, it is more trying i think as a coach. personally.

GoChiefs
Varsity

Post by GoChiefs »

I'm gonna have to second Buckeyes choice..it's gotta be the fans that take this game WAYYYYYYYYYYY too seriously!

F-4 Phantom
Varsity

Post by F-4 Phantom »

I agree with the fan part too but I would also add: players, coaches, communities, etc...that take it way too seriously.

It's just a freaking game, nothing more or nothing less. It has absolutely no bearing on life! NONE!

pappy1
Varsity

Post by pappy1 »

The worst thing is people who disrespect the game and disrespect their opponent. IMO trash talking is disrespectful. The old fashioned way is let your play, not your mouth speak for you.

I disagree with the comment that the game has nothing to do with life.
It teaches one to follow instructions.
It teaches working with a team to achieve a common goal.
It teaches striving to better yourself.
It teaches following the rules.
These are all great life lessons, and I am sure there are more associated with football that I have not mentioned.

goldtiphunter
Waterboy

Post by goldtiphunter »

i agree storm chaser, its even worse when a certain school board member tries to pick a fight with the head coach after a game right on the field, a certain school really needs to think about who they want on the school staff come next football season, and its all because he wants his grandson to be quarterback, im not saying this kid is a terrible player, he just aint no quarterback, in my opinion he should be a lineman.......

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

goldtiphunter wrote:i agree storm chaser, its even worse when a certain school board member tries to pick a fight with the head coach after a game right on the field, a certain school really needs to think about who they want on the school staff come next football season, and its all because he wants his grandson to be quarterback, im not saying this kid is a terrible player, he just aint no quarterback, in my opinion he should be a lineman.......

That is the worst thing about Athletics!!!!!!!!

Purple Tornado
Riding the Bench

Post by Purple Tornado »

goldtiphunter wrote:i agree storm chaser, its even worse when a certain school board member tries to pick a fight with the head coach after a game right on the field, a certain school really needs to think about who they want on the school staff come next football season, and its all because he wants his grandson to be quarterback, im not saying this kid is a terrible player, he just aint no quarterback, in my opinion he should be a lineman.......

We don't need this crap going on I agree. We are in the midst of a crucial stretch in the schedule toward a playoff run. Beating these next two 5-5 teams should be foremost on the minds of everyone involved, including parents and grandparents.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

Parents.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Anyone/group that tries to take advantage of a player/team/school/coach/coaches for their own selfish needs/desires.
Athletics are suppose to form goals of team work and work hard toward team goals. Attitudes that get in the way with selfish desires sometimes others want to put up roadblocks to prevent success. Gloryhounds who take more credit than what they deserve.
Athletics should have players and coaches doing thier what they are suppose to do with the support of the schools students and employees then fans,parents along with support of the community and school board. One bad part in that makes athletics not fun.

It is a game for fun and not always will you win but play by the rules with good sportsmanship from all who play and attend the games.

FarAwayFalcon
Varsity

Post by FarAwayFalcon »

Internet discussion boards where people can run their mouths and hide behind a screen name. :lol: Just kidding, I don't know what I would do without SEOPS to keep me entertained and let me do some mouth running of my own on occasion, keep up the good work SEOP Staffers.

Remember_The_Name
SEOP

Post by Remember_The_Name »

Orestes wrote:Parents.

Its as easy as that.

Storm Chaser
Riding the Bench

Post by Storm Chaser »

Now I didn't mention any specific examples! :lol:
But obnoxious parents etc. are at all levels from t-ball to college.

eagledad
Freshman Team

Post by eagledad »

pappy1 wrote:The worst thing is people who disrespect the game and disrespect their opponent. IMO trash talking is disrespectful. The old fashioned way is let your play, not your mouth speak for you.

I disagree with the comment that the game has nothing to do with life.
It teaches one to follow instructions.
It teaches working with a team to achieve a common goal.
It teaches striving to better yourself.
It teaches following the rules.
These are all great life lessons, and I am sure there are more associated with football that I have not mentioned.

excellent post! +1000

YoDuh
Riding the Bench

Post by YoDuh »

When the invaluable life lessons to be learned through sports are lost to or tainted by intolerance and short sighted viewpoints.

Return to “Football”