What is the WORST thing about athletics.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Re: What is the WORST thing about athletics.

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

1.I'd have to say parents or grandparents who think that Junior is the next best thing to sliced bread and should be playing and voice their opinion to the coach. I like the rule that Coach Barrick, Wheelersburg's basketball coach has and that if a parent says something to him about there son, they sit a game. If they say something again, I think the player is punished even more(not sure what it is) and I like this rule because if the player is not playing, it isn't up to his parents to talk to the coach, it is up to the player himself to talk to the coach about what he has to do to get more playing time.

2. The players themselves. Some of them act like total punks before, during and after the game. Respect everyone that is on the field and win with class and lose with class

zebra77
Varsity

Post by zebra77 »

possibly alowing trash talking fans on this website.

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

I agree with Orestes!

bankshot
Freshman Team

Post by bankshot »

i would have to say the worst thing about athletics are whining parents and players...all parents think there kid is the best and want him or her to play every second possible...in most cases this is probably not true but they still like to raise heck with the coaches and make them lose focus on the task at hand...i thought coaches were supposed to worry about winning and not have to worry about who is going to be mad at me this week...because all in all it is always the coaches fault for not winning isn't it?... :lol: ...and the players that think they should be getting more playing time usually have a buddy or two on the team that they turn against some of the other players that get to play because they think they are better than everyone else..thus there goes your "TEAM" togetherness...my suggestion would be that if you are not getting enough playing time try backing away from the xbox or the computer and spend an extra hour in the weight room or an extra hour practicing whatever sport...that stuff will all be there win u get home...and kids have the nerve to tell the whinning parents that you want to play because you have worked hard to become better and not just because the coach doesn't want to make your parents mad...
...PRAY HARD...WORK HARD...TRUST GOD...
...go one...

Rookie22
Waterboy

Post by Rookie22 »

As a coach: Having more passion and heart for the game than your players; As a parent: Sitting in the stands listening to others who think they've got it all figured out. As a player: getting older!

Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

NYBuckeye96 wrote:The worst thing about athletics is when fans forget that win or lose, it's just a game.

The best thing about sports are the skills learned that help you succeed later in life. For parents, fans, and everyone else, that is what is most important. Winning or losing the game isn't what counts. Sure we all want to win, we all want a league championship in every sport, and we all want to go undefeated, but when it comes down to it, that is not the most important thing about athletics. Sometimes what is important is lost with all the hoopla of having championships. The team who is 0-10 in football works just as hard as the team who is 10-0; the team who is 0-20 in basketball works just as hard as the team who is 20-0. The skills learned thru the work ethic is what matters the most to all players, no matter how many games are won.

Not true......wheeling central says they always win in WV because their athletes and coaches work harder than the rest of the state. It has NOTHING to do with recruiting..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

goldtiphunter wrote:i agree storm chaser, its even worse when a certain school board member tries to pick a fight with the head coach after a game right on the field, a certain school really needs to think about who they want on the school staff come next football season, and its all because he wants his grandson to be quarterback, im not saying this kid is a terrible player, he just aint no quarterback, in my opinion he should be a lineman.......

Get your resume' in right away, I here the job will be open.

Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

Purple Tornado wrote:
goldtiphunter wrote:i agree storm chaser, its even worse when a certain school board member tries to pick a fight with the head coach after a game right on the field, a certain school really needs to think about who they want on the school staff come next football season, and its all because he wants his grandson to be quarterback, im not saying this kid is a terrible player, he just aint no quarterback, in my opinion he should be a lineman.......

We don't need this crap going on I agree. We are in the midst of a crucial stretch in the schedule toward a playoff run. Beating these next two 5-5 teams should be foremost on the minds of everyone involved, including parents and grandparents.

I sure hope you guys get in because if you don't there will be a lot of crow eaten on here......

Sports Nut
Waterboy

Post by Sports Nut »

And what position do you think this kid should play on the line? It looks like they have their minds made up and that the kid should probably focus on baseball. Instead of taking another chance of hurting his knee and ruining exellent oppertunities

preps_fan1980
Freshman Team

Post by preps_fan1980 »

telling a kid something and practicing over and over and come gameday...it's all out the window. coaches coach....they are there for a reason. kids have an attitude and lack of respect for authority figures these days...never used to be like that.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

coaching politics.

camnott
Varsity

Post by camnott »

Did I mention scheduling family vacations!!! :lol:

osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

camnott wrote:Did I mention scheduling family vacations!!! :lol:

Tell me bout it. Baseball ended on a Sunday at the state tournament we took one day to go to a waterpark and travel home. Football started the next day. Thank goodness we do have a small break before basketball starts again. This is just for one kid who hasn't even gotten in middle school yet.

But from a coaching standpoint the parents are the worst who can't see their childs weaknesses. I knew my weaknesses as a player back in the day and know what and where my kid should be playing on the field or court. Sometimes I disagree but I tell kids that there will be coaches who have a different view on the them than others had in the past and they are in charge so try harder and see what happens. they aren't always going to get their way and that is life!

Bdog_198807
Varsity

Post by Bdog_198807 »

When football season ends. LOL :lol:

fbbacker
Riding the Bench

Post by fbbacker »

I agree totally with NYBuckeye96. It IS just a game. There are too many middle aged men who can't grow up, never grew up and still life through kids of their own or kids they don't know just because they dawn the jersey of the HS team that they used to play for. And I also agree with SEO preps being a bad thing. If this would have been around when I played people would have bashed me and I'm sure that would have had a negative effect on not only my performance on the court and field but on my whole overall demeanor. And that's a lot to put on a kid's shoulders.

I smell good
JV Team

Post by I smell good »

fbbacker wrote: If this would have been around when I played people would have bashed me and I'm sure that would have had a negative effect on not only my performance on the court and field but on my whole overall demeanor.

I don't recall a single kid getting called out on here what would have made you so special? :roll:

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

preps_fan1980 wrote:telling a kid something and practicing over and over and come gameday...it's all out the window. coaches coach....they are there for a reason. kids have an attitude and lack of respect for authority figures these days...never used to be like that.

AMEN, thats the best part of your post and of this thread, now what can be done to change that, besided kicking some butts, but your not suppose to do that anymore.

Boonedawg
S

Post by Boonedawg »

Right on the $$$. Want your kid to turn out alright, kick his hiney when he geat out of line or disrespectfull.

wowhesfast
Freshman Team

Post by wowhesfast »

preps_fan1980 wrote:telling a kid something and practicing over and over and come gameday...it's all out the window. coaches coach....they are there for a reason. kids have an attitude and lack of respect for authority figures these days...never used to be like that.

Yeah the sixties were all about respect for authority man! Young people have been rebelling against their elders since the very beginning, that will never change.

You may call me nuts or whatever, but I firmly believe that I learned more about life on the field of play than in the classroom back in high school. The American secondary education system is the joke of the civilized world. High School's a place where kids go to see their friends, and that's about it. I never learned a meaningful life lesson or much academic material in the Hilltops hallowed halls, I learned a lot more in sports and when I moved on to college.

mr.dude2010
Freshman Team

Post by mr.dude2010 »

not parents in general, but old ironlungs telling his kid he sucks and crticizing every action that takes place and completely taking things too seriously

also bad is a coach who doesnt care about the sport he's coaching, say a basketball coach doesn't really care about the team he just wants to coach his son, you might see something like, say, a 1-19 season and its bad for the players to have this attitude around them constantly

players who trash talk.
do your talking between the whistles with your actions.

Return to “Football”