TVC rushing title might have a surprising winner

Who wins the TVC rushing title now after 8 weeks

Poll ended at Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:36 pm

Total votes: 0

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

TVC rushing title might have a surprising winner

Post by 93Bulldog »

The poll posted earlier this season had DEREK ARNOLD of NY as the run-away favorite to win the TVC rushing title - but after 8 weeks - it might not ring true.

Jeremy Smith - Meigs - has 1,239 yards on 172 carries and has scored an incredible 22 rushing TD's.

Tyler Dyla - Trimble - has rushed for 1,222 yards on 156 carries and has scored 9 TD's

Derek Arnold - NY - is 3rd with 1,220 yards on 190 carries and has reached pay dirt 15 times.

SMITH has games at Wellston and at Belpre (which should only boost his totals.)

Dyla has games against Southern and Miller (same as above)

Arnold has to play at IRONTON! But gets VC at home in week 10.

Should be interesting but I have to give the nod to Smith ... he just has an easier road ahead and is already leading. What is impressive about Smith though is he is also 5th in the TVC-Ohio in recieving with 19 catches for 257 yards and a score. Dyla is 8th in the Hocking with 126 yards and 2 scores.

It brings up an interesting debate for TVC-Ohio P.O.Y ... Does Smith deserve it if he is in fact the Rushing leader after 10 weeks and keeps his status as a top 10 pass reciever as well? Does Arnold get it for being the center piece of the 1st place Buckeyes offense? ... Or does Trey Harris get some attention for being the leagues No. 1 passer on the 1st place Bulldogs? ... 1,055 yards passing, only 2 INT's in 141 attempts, a 55% completition percentage is usually good enough for POY considerations ... You have to take into account that Arnold won it last year (those things play into minds of voters who like to spread out awards amongst kids.)

The trivalleyconference.com web page is updated .... full statistical break down through 8 weeks of TVC gridiron action!

If any stats appear to be off - don't be shy and send me an e-mail ... trivalleyconference@yahoo.com

thx

koondoger
JV Team

Re: TVC rushing title might have a surprising winner

Post by koondoger »

TVC Player of the year should be just that. What did the player do in the TVC that year. You should not punish a player because he won it last year. On another note, look at the yards per carry of the 3 players listed. Dyla is leading with 7.8, Arnold 2nd with 7.2, and Smith with 6.4. To add to this, Smith is in an offense that passes more than the other two. That makes his rushing total seem better, but I think hurts him because of his lower yards per carry.

Just my thoughts guys! :mrgreen:

koondoger
JV Team

Post by koondoger »

If he has 1222 with the two southerns left, Dyla should finish with somewhere around 2000 yards and 20 touchdowns!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

As always....just my t houghts guys!

Purple Tornado
Riding the Bench

Post by Purple Tornado »

Dila will win no rushing title on the backs of my Tornadoes I will tell you that much. So you better hope he rings up about 800 agains Miller if you plan on him getting to 2000 this year. And thats my thoughts.

whompascat
All Conference

Post by whompascat »

dyla gets 200 plus v/s southern in the first half!

Purple Tornado
Riding the Bench

Post by Purple Tornado »

whompascat wrote:dyla gets 20 yards v/s southern in the first half!

I will second that. He will prolly follow that up with 10 more in the second half on his way to a 30 yard night. Then he will only need 750 or there bouts against Miller to reach that goal of 2000 for the season. :mrgreen:

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Since we have 2 divisions in the TVC and 2 champions, shouldn't we have 2 different rushing champions?

Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

Purple Tornado wrote:Dila will win no rushing title on the backs of my Tornadoes I will tell you that much. So you better hope he rings up about 800 agains Miller if you plan on him getting to 2000 this year. And thats my thoughts.

The turtle-backed boys of Southern have ZERO chance of stopping Dyla. I see 300 yards for him in the first half this week and a similar performance next week. The only chnace you have at further embarrassment is to stop talking trash to trimble. If Phil gets mad, you guys are gonna get buried...

Purple Tornado
Riding the Bench

Post by Purple Tornado »

Let Phil get mad. He doesn't have the horses this year to do anything about it. Mark my words, under 50 yards for 12. :mrgreen:

whompascat
All Conference

Post by whompascat »

trimble will have 2 backs run for 100 yards against the tomatoes.

koondoger
JV Team

Post by koondoger »

Purple Tornado wrote:

I will second that. He will prolly follow that up with 10 more in the second half on his way to a 30 yard night. Then he will only need 750 or there bouts against Miller to reach that goal of 2000 for the season. :mrgreen:

You mean there is a game before the dance? :lol: No one at Trimble cares how many yards Dyla gets. I think he had 3 carries last year for over 100. The thing we care about is how soon the JV will be in the game. Dr. Phil will have the Cats scoring early, often, and with several different names being announced for the touchdown. Now a good question might be, will Jewel pass for over 200?

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

koondoger wrote:
Purple Tornado wrote:

You mean there is a game before the dance? :lol: No one at Trimble cares how many yards Dyla gets. I think he had 3 carries last year for over 100. The thing we care about is how soon the JV will be in the game. Dr. Phil will have the Cats scoring early, often, and with several different names being announced for the touchdown. Now a good question might be, will Jewel pass for over 200?

All 5 starting linemen get a T.D. in this one! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

koondoger wrote:TVC Player of the year should be just that. What did the player do in the TVC that year. You should not punish a player because he won it last year. On another note, look at the yards per carry of the 3 players listed. Dyla is leading with 7.8, Arnold 2nd with 7.2, and Smith with 6.4. To add to this, Smith is in an offense that passes more than the other two. That makes his rushing total seem better, but I think hurts him because of his lower yards per carry.

Just my thoughts guys! :mrgreen:

AVG--
Dyla-7.8
Smith-7.2
Arnold-6.4

koondoger
JV Team

Post by koondoger »

I stand corrected. :mrgreen:

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I thought there was some 'fuzzy' match in there somewhere ... If Smith has more yards on less carries - than I am pretty sure he has a better Yds-per-rush.

The idea about 'punishing' a kid for winning it the previous year ... I have no idea if that is true, I just threw it out there ... it just always seems that way and personally, I don't think it should either .... But sometimes its human nature to want the best for kids and if a voter has that kind of mentality - he might vote for another kid that has yet to win an award (more often than not, that kid is usuually a senior)

About 2 different rushing titles ... I don't believe there is a 'single' rushing title O & B ... lol ... its just a phrase I have been using, but as far as I know, the TVC doesn't even give out such an award.

Maybe trivalleyconference.com should make an award and give it the winner ... :mrgreen:

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

93Bulldog wrote:I thought there was some 'fuzzy' match in there somewhere ... If Smith has more yards on less carries - than I am pretty sure he has a better Yds-per-rush.

The idea about 'punishing' a kid for winning it the previous year ... I have no idea if that is true, I just threw it out there ... it just always seems that way and personally, I don't think it should either .... But sometimes its human nature to want the best for kids and if a voter has that kind of mentality - he might vote for another kid that has yet to win an award (more often than not, that kid is usuually a senior)

About 2 different rushing titles ... I don't believe there is a 'single' rushing title O & B ... lol ... its just a phrase I have been using, but as far as I know, the TVC doesn't even give out such an award.

Maybe trivalleyconference.com should make an award and give it the winner ... :mrgreen:

and a all trivalleyconference.com team to!!!!
You could do a 1st and 2nd team plus a freshman team!!!!!!
Let me know what you think about that one!!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

WOW ... JEREMY SMITH ONLY HAS 6% OF THE VOTES ... THAT'S INCREDIBLE ... HE FACES WELLSTON & BELPRE and is already leading ... I believe he has 22 TD's (which is pretty amazing) and overall has gained 1,496 TOTAL YARDS with 23 TD's ... If he can somehow get to 2,000 total yards with 30 TD's - man, that's hard to argue with for P.O.Y in my opinion.

He needs 252 total yards in the next two games - which is not out of the ordinary (he averages 187 per game, but that includes games versus Athens, NY, Coal Grove, Fairland, Warren and Alexander) ... 6 out of the 8 games were against tough competition. (He had 257 versus River Valley, 243 against a tough Fairland defense that shut out Trimble & Tyler Dyla) and 228 versus Vinton County ...

Dyla is close and his game against Southern (No. 2 defense in the Hocking + Southern runs so much it creates less oportunities for the opposing teams' offense) might help or might not help ... and the game versus Miller (same problem, Miller runs so much - the game is shorter and oportunities are less) ... He might not be able to pass Smith.

Arnold ... Yo never know with Derek ... He's so talented, fast and has such quick feet - He may go wild the next two weeks or he may get held to under 100 @ Ironton ... If that happens and Smith has a big game in Wellston ... Im guessing Jeremy Smith runs away with the rushing title.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only debate will be who recieves P.O.Y ... Its gonna come down to 'how well you did against ALEXANDER, ATHENS, NY AND MEIGS) because all the athletes will end up doing well versus the other 3 schools. (coaches can't vote for their own players remember)

Smith versus Athens = 14 carries 119 and a TD (My guess, if Adams voted for a P.O.Y he might vote for Arnold ... or maybe Smith depending on how the numbers shake out ... Smith was the only player to rush for more than a 100 yards on Athens all year so that might play into voting as well.)

Smith versus Alexander = 135 yards rushing 4 TD's ... My guess is that Arno votes for Smith (Derek Arnold rushed for 43 yards on 15 carries versus the Spartans) ... Athens' Trey Harris didn't do well versus Alex either - the Bulldogs ran the ball all game)

Smith versus NY = 25 carries for 99 yards and 3 TD's ... 4 catches 47 yards ... Not sure what Dave Boston Jr. does ... Nobody for Athens shined, maybe Harris (9-18-2-173 yards and a TD) ... Lawson and Hedrick split their duties against the 'Bucks and Smith had 146 total yards and 3 TD's versus Nelsonville-York.

Coach Chauncey can't vote for Smith so he has to look at Arnold (32 carries for 207 yards and 2 TD's) ... Or maybe Hedrick 25 carries for 164 yards and 0 TD's ... Trey Harris had a huge game against Meigs 13-of-21-for-312 yards and 4 TD's with no INT's.

Pure speculation here but:

Adams (Athens) - Smith or Arnold .... Smith had the bigger game but Arnold helped the 'Bucks win.
Chauncey (Meigs) - Harris or Arnold ... Harris had perhaps his best game ever at QB Vs. Meigs; Arnold did good as well facing the Marauders.
Arno (Alexander) - Smith
Boston Jr. (Nelsonville-York) - Tough call - Harris or Smith im guessing.

Belpre - Smith or Harris hasn't played them yet; Arnold had a monster game 23-259 4 TD's)
Wellston - Harris was 10-20-0-109 1 TD; Arnold 25-111 3 TD's; Smith hasn't played them yet.
V.C. - Smith 18-207 3 TD's; Arnold has yet to play Vikes; Athens played them in the mud Harris was 7-15-0-89 1 TD.

If Adams votes for Smith; Chauncey for Harris, Arno for Smith ... that leaves Boston Jr. in a quandry - if he votes for Harris - it comes down to what Belpre, VC and Wellston do ... If he votes for Smith (Im guessing Smith wins P.O.Y) ... That is absolutly pure speculation though ... I know reality points toward a league champion recieving a P.O.Y honor, but if their are co-champs it throws off voting and if their is a kid that puts up just huge numbers for a team that is good but not great (Meigs) that really plays into the equasion too.

It just as easily could be Adams votes for Arnold, Chauncey votes for Arnold, Arno votes for Smith and Boston Jr. votes for Smith ... see where im getting at? It's a complete toss-up with Smith (IMO) the favorite, Arnold in 2nd and Harris being the sleeper.

Its those head-to-head match-ups that I think makes Smith the favorite ... If Derek Arnold had great games versus Athens and Alexander (he's a shoo-in) but that wasn't the case - (even though it may have been weather related) ... Smith on the other had good games against all 3 opponents 119 & TD versus Athens, 135 & 3TD's against Alex, 146 total yards and 3 TD's facing the 'Bucks ... and then Smith still has Belpre/Wellston to pad the stats after hitting the 227 total yard mark with 3 TD's versus V.C.

Whoever wins, they're all three great athletes as is Hedrick and Lawson for Alexander ... I wish it could be TRI-P.O.Y. ... lol ... but that kind of defeates the purpose. If I had a vote, I would personally vote for Jeremy Smith ... I mean the kid played a very tough schedule (Warren, @ Fairland and @ Coal Grove) are all three in the playoff hunt and he produced against the best teams in the Ohio Division ... that fact alone merits consideration ... throw in the fact he is the top rushing leader in all the TVC - and is looking to keep that title as the season draws to an end, plus he among the top 5 in recieving too ... those are just too good of numbers to ignore and deserves a good hard look even if Meigs didn't win the Ohio Division. (If Athens won the title out-right, Harris probably gets P.O.Y ... Same goes for Arnold and the 'Bucks) that two-way tie will hurt both players allowing Smith to sneak in and steal the award.

stats obtained from trivalleyconference.com.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I was told by an outside source (which may mean nothing ... lol) but he thought coaches could in fact vote for their own player ... wow .... that really throws off my entire previous post ... :mrgreen:

except for the fact that im sure coaches out of pure class don't vote for their own guy unless its a majority thing or a for-gone-conclusion who deserves it ...

Nybucks70-80
Varsity

Post by Nybucks70-80 »

Harris has no chance at winning poty!
Arnold all the way!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

You may be right, He's probably just waiting for the award to be handed to him next year.

But don't be shocked if Jeremy Smith wins it this year ... I wouldn't mind seeing Arnold win it at all, he's a great kid ... My intuition just tells me Smith sneaks in and gets the award this year ... especially if he gets to 2,000 total yards and 30 TD's ... that's freakin awesome stats.

Return to “Football”