Power Poll form T_FB_A after week 9

Westfan
SEOP

Re: Power Poll form T_FB_A after week 9

Post by Westfan »

In my opinion, Minford is a much better all-around team than Portsmouth. Minford and Wheelersburg would probably go 5-5 if they played 10 times, and if they play again, I think Wheelersburg will win. Wheelersburg destroyed Portsmouth. Portsmouth barely beat a very young West team. West has improved in the O-line and defensive backfield quite a bit since week 2, and that is where Portsmouth won the game. If they played again, I think West would win. Minford really took it to West.

I've never seen Oak Hill, but the Minford game was an impressive win. Based on what I've seen from Minford and been told, I think Minford would win in a rematch.

A lot like West Sider's, this is how I think the poll should be based on results from the season.
1.Ironton
2.Oak Hill
3.Minford
4.Wheelersburg
5.Jackson
6.Portsmouth
7.Valley
8.Portsmouth West
9.Waverly
10.Symmes Valley

If the season were to start over right now and we were going to play a tournament, this is who I think is the best and how I would seed them. Again, I may be giving to much or not enough credit to Jackson and Oak Hill, as I have not seen them. I don't think Valley is very good. The West game was a gift with all the turnovers. Portsmouth has benefited from a very easy schedule considering the league their in and really don't have a quality win unless its Warren (who wasn't that good) or West. Just an opinion.
1.Ironton
2.Wheelersburg
3.Minford
4.Jackson
5.Oak Hill
6.Portsmouth West
7.Portsmouth
8.Valley
9.Waverly
10.Symmes Valley

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Siderman, you are entitled to your opinion however I will have to strongly disagree with you. The Portsmouth team that played the first 3 weeks of the season is no where close to the same team. We have improved 10 fold. Since the return of Casey Sanders to the Oline the Trojans offence has been much better. The team seems to play with a chip on its shoulder.

You say that the Trojans have a very easy schedule because you are looking only at the records of teams inside the SEOAL, but how many of these teams have you really seen? Trust me Gallia is much better then their record indicates. Don’t trust me take a look at their schedule it is a real grind. Chillicothe to has played a very tough schedule as well, and are always loaded with speed and talent. On a lesser level Marietta to has lost to teams that all have winning records, and are predominantly division 2. Then there is Warren who has defeated 5-3 division 1 Parkersburg South, and 5-3 Point Pleasant. Both these teams will be making long trips in the WV playoffs.

I don’t see why everyone is so high on Minford, they beat the Burg, but it was a very close game that could have gone either way. I really think Burg might have been reading the own press clippings, and over looked Minford after they got beat by Oak Hill. That doesn’t take anything away from Minford, they got the job done when they had to, but I have seen both play, including the Minford, and Burg game on TV, and will tell you that the Burg team that played Minford was not the same team I had seen earlier. If they play Burg 10 times I cant seem them winning more then 3 at the most. You got to think Burg was a Lang pitch to Schank from winning the first one. I hope they get a chance in the playoffs to either redeem themselves, or prove me wrong.

As for West, and Portsmouth, I agree I think West could have won that game if they would have went for 2. Of course they would have then had to stop Josh Myers from scoring again which they couldn’t do at the end to get the ball back. Today I think they Trojans offense has progressed to the point that the Senators would have no answer. Pendleton would still get his yards, but I think the Trojans would end up winning 35- 21 or so. Maybe I’m wrong, good news is we both bring the majority of our teams back next year, which should make for another great match up.

Mikenmike
JV Team

Post by Mikenmike »

Ever consider that might have something to do with Minford playing great against burg? Or do you just assume that burg had a off night? People are high on minford because they are about to win their conference, host a playoff game, and have already defeated two playoff teams. Or maybe because they are 1 stupid rule and 1 bad call away from being 9-0 instead of 7-2.

FOURTYTWOISO
Waterboy

Post by FOURTYTWOISO »

Just and outside observer of both polls it seems to be more about who's higher Portsmouth or Minford. I have to give T_FB_A credit for his use of logic with every choice. No offense to others polls, but their justification of choice is well I guess you would say bias. But that's the fun of polls if you make your own it's just an opinion. I have seen several of the teams on this poll and will tell you that Minford is a very good team and well coached. But there is this bias to Portsmouth based on one lose to Burg. I do think that the Trojans would beat Minford head to head based on seeing both play within the last 3 weeks. Also West people keep saying their team was young when they played the Trojans and things would be different now. I again have seen both play since and believe it would be different. The Trojans would win big in a rematch, if you haven't seen the Trojans play in the last 4 weeks then you wouldn't understand how much better this team is compared to weeks 1-4. And no I'm not from Portsmouth, just speaking from a fan that watches a lot of team play this year.

Watched play this year.

Burg - 3 times
Minford - 2 times
Trojans - 3 times
West - 2 times
Oak Hill -1 time
Valley - 1time
Ironton - 2 times
Jackson - 1 time

So I believe I have as good an observation as most.

1. Ironton
2. Burg
3.Jackson
4. Portsmouth
5. Minford
6. Oak Hill
7. Valley
8. West
9. Coal Grove
10. Symmes Valley

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

FOURTYTWOISO wrote:Just and outside observer of both polls it seems to be more about who's higher Portsmouth or Minford. I have to give T_FB_A credit for his use of logic with every choice. No offense to others polls, but their justification of choice is well I guess you would say bias. But that's the fun of polls if you make your own it's just an opinion. I have seen several of the teams on this poll and will tell you that Minford is a very good team and well coached. But there is this bias to Portsmouth based on one lose to Burg. I do think that the Trojans would beat Minford head to head based on seeing both play within the last 3 weeks. Also West people keep saying their team was young when they played the Trojans and things would be different now. I again have seen both play since and believe it would be different. The Trojans would win big in a rematch, if you haven't seen the Trojans play in the last 4 weeks then you wouldn't understand how much better this team is compared to weeks 1-4. And no I'm not from Portsmouth, just speaking from a fan that watches a lot of team play this year.

Watched play this year.

Burg - 3 times
Minford - 2 times
Trojans - 3 times
West - 2 times
Oak Hill -1 time
Valley - 1time
Ironton - 2 times
Jackson - 1 time

So I believe I have as good an observation as most.

1. Ironton
2. Burg
3.Jackson
4. Portsmouth
5. Minford
6. Oak Hill
7. Valley
8. West
9. Coal Grove
10. Symmes Valley

Great post

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Portsmouth has a good offense. Josh Meyers is a very good player, maybe great. But the other team gets the ball too. Portsmouth's defense isn't that good, especially against the run. Minford would run for huge yardage against them.

Portsmouth is going to look good against slow teams, teams that can't contain on the outside. I went to the Warren game, they were slow. Wheelersburg has speed and was able to cover the receivers and make them 1 dimensional. Other than Meyers, the only way they run the ball is trying to get their speed outside. Minford is very fast. They would shut Portsmouth down IMO.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

siderman wrote:Portsmouth has a good offense. Josh Meyers is a very good player, maybe great. But the other team gets the ball too. Portsmouth's defense isn't that good, especially against the run. Minford would run for huge yardage against them.

Portsmouth is going to look good against slow teams, teams that can't contain on the outside. I went to the Warren game, they were slow. Wheelersburg has speed and was able to cover the receivers and make them 1 dimensional. Other than Meyers, the only way they run the ball is trying to get their speed outside. Minford is very fast. They would shut Portsmouth down IMO.

I agree that with the exception of Myers our running game wouldn't produce very much, however Angelo Jackson has come on strong and is playing much better now then he did against West. Where we would shine is the fact that I don't think Minford has any answer for our passing attack, or special teams returns.

On defense I think the Falcons would be able to run. They would score and move the ball some, but I think the Trojan defense isn't as bad as you think, where our defense would shine is our speed would totally shut down their passing attack, allowing us to put 8 in the box, then slow the run.

I think it would be a good game, but the Trojans would be to much for them.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Everyone is again wrong but you. Awe poor Portsmouth.

See ya week 11 :)

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Portsmouth stopped West's running game in the first half by run blitzing about every play. Our soph's couldn't pick it up. At halftime, they made changes, adjusted, and moved the ball well. Minfords O-line is very good. Their not extremely big, but they are athletic. Their single wing and Wing T attack would take advantage of Portsmouth trying to get up the field. Going too hard up field makes you an easy block for the pulling guards and those little backs will cut right off of it. You have to play disciplined football against them or they'll gash you with the runs. That's probably another reason why their successful against the Burg. The Burg likes to slant, run blitz, etc to get the big play. That's not necessarily what you want to do against that offense.

BigTime
JV Team

Post by BigTime »

It's funny how the 2 teams being so negative about the Trojans are 2 teams the Trojans already beat this year (GO FIGURE). All we hear is if we played you again this would happen and that would happen. The fact of the matter is that it's already happened(YOU LOST). Haters, this forum would not survive with out you. You are the back bone of the forum and we thank you.

FOURTYTWOISO
Waterboy

Post by FOURTYTWOISO »

Why do Minford people hate the Trojans so much if they don't even play each other. And the only reason I say that Minford hates the Trojans is because they seem to always attack every forum on here that mentions the Trojans. You would think they would focus their attention on teams they play instead of some hypothetical game that can not happen. It's just a poll that I guess Minford fans take to heart, that really is just one man's opinion. I was always told that if a team is great, they don't need anyone to convince anyone else. It seems that the Minford posters are trying to convince T_FB_A just because he didn't rank them high enough in HIS poll. T_FB_A, I'm convinced that your not dealing with adults from some of the posters on here. Great Job on the poll, most of us realize it's just ONE MAN'S OPINION. Great read and very informative. Good Luck to all of the teams from SEO this week, and make SEO proud in the playoffs. Someone bring home a STATE TITLE.

sportsfan43
JV Team

Post by sportsfan43 »

everytime Minford thinks they have a good team,and wins a few games,they always want to talk about....good thing we dont play Portsmouth this year......BUL CRAP.....Portsmouth has played Minford when Minford has ran the first 5 weeks unbeaten,and Portsmouth had not so good teams at the times, Portsmouth would get beat by the good teams on their schedule....and ...how many times has Minford beat Portsmouth? :?: :?: :?:

this year it was 3 touch downs to 0 in two periods.....YOU DONT WANT NONE THIS YEAR EITHER :!: :!:

by the way, enjoy week 11, just try really hard,to act like you have ben there before ;-)

Incognito
Varsity

Post by Incognito »

sportsfan43 wrote:everytime Minford thinks they have a good team,and wins a few games,they always want to talk about....good thing we dont play Portsmouth this year......BUL CRAP.....Portsmouth has played Minford when Minford has ran the first 5 weeks unbeaten,and Portsmouth had not so good teams at the times, Portsmouth would get beat by the good teams on their schedule....and ...how many times has Minford beat Portsmouth? :?: :?: :?:

this year it was 3 touch downs to 0 in two periods.....YOU DONT WANT NONE THIS YEAR EITHER :!: :!:
by the way, enjoy week 11, just try really hard,to act like you have ben there before ;-)

Wow you just need to stop. 3 to O in 2 periods. child please...Minford ran out of plays when they were driving heck if we threw to the endzone every other play im sure we would have scored at least a few times. Go back and watch the film or better yet ask coach clifford. :oops:

trojan7
JV Team

Post by trojan7 »

I was just bored being up late and decided just for fun to plug in the teams on CalPreps.com

Portsmouth vs TFBA Top 10

1. Ironton 38-21 Loss
2. Jackson 27-22 Win
3. Burg 35-20 Loss
4. PHS
5. Minford 26-24 Win
6. Oak Hill 31-24 Loss
7. Valley 28-26 Win
8. West 28-21 Win
9. Symmes Valley 38-10 Win
10. Waverly 38-21 Win

Portsmouth vs Minford schedule
vs River Valley 50-0 Win
vs Wellston 38-17 Win
vs Huntington 56-0 Win
vs Coal Grove 33-31 Win
vs Oak Hill 31-24 Loss
vs Burg 35-20 Loss
vs West 28-21 Win
vs Northwest 48-8 Win
vs Waverly 38-21 Win
vs Valley 28-26 Win

Minford vs TFBA Top 10

1. Ironton 31-14 Loss
2. Jackson 21-19 Win
3. Burg 27-14 Loss
4. PHS 26-24 Loss
5. Minford
6. Oak Hill 22-21 Loss
7. Valley 21-19 Win
8. West 21-19 Win
9. Symmes Valley 31-6 Win
10. Waverly 31-14 Win

Minford playing PHS schedule
vs South Point 38-6 Win
vs West 21-19 Win
vs Burg 27-14 Loss
vs Jackson 21-19 Win
vs Chilly 28-8 Win
vs Gallia 28-14 Win
vs Warren 24-17 Loss
vs Ironton 31-14 Loss
vs Marietta 34-17 Win
vs Western Brown 40-8 Win

Looks like both would be in the same boat if the roles reversed? anyways just bored and thought it was kinda interesting but then again it is just CalPreps

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

trojan7 wrote:I was just bored being up late and decided just for fun to plug in the teams on CalPreps.com

Portsmouth vs TFBA Top 10

1. Ironton 38-21 Loss
2. Jackson 27-22 Win
3. Burg 35-20 Loss
4. PHS
5. Minford 26-24 Win
6. Oak Hill 31-24 Loss
7. Valley 28-26 Win
8. West 28-21 Win
9. Symmes Valley 38-10 Win
10. Waverly 38-21 Win

Portsmouth vs Minford schedule
vs River Valley 50-0 Win
vs Wellston 38-17 Win
vs Huntington 56-0 Win
vs Coal Grove 33-31 Win
vs Oak Hill 31-24 Loss
vs Burg 35-20 Loss
vs West 28-21 Win
vs Northwest 48-8 Win
vs Waverly 38-21 Win
vs Valley 28-26 Win

Minford vs TFBA Top 10

1. Ironton 31-14 Loss
2. Jackson 21-19 Win
3. Burg 27-14 Loss
4. PHS 26-24 Loss
5. Minford
6. Oak Hill 22-21 Loss
7. Valley 21-19 Win
8. West 21-19 Win
9. Symmes Valley 31-6 Win
10. Waverly 31-14 Win

Minford playing PHS schedule
vs South Point 38-6 Win
vs West 21-19 Win
vs Burg 27-14 Loss
vs Jackson 21-19 Win
vs Chilly 28-8 Win
vs Gallia 28-14 Win
vs Warren 24-17 Loss
vs Ironton 31-14 Loss
vs Marietta 34-17 Win
vs Western Brown 40-8 Win

Looks like both would be in the same boat if the roles reversed? anyways just bored and thought it was kinda interesting but then again it is just CalPreps

That just shows how accurate Calpreps is.......they have Minford losing to BURG. Hey Minford already won that one!

Minford would be 9-1 on PHS schedule. Ironton would be their only loss.

A-Bomb
Riding the Bench

Post by A-Bomb »

sportsfan43 wrote:everytime Minford thinks they have a good team,and wins a few games,they always want to talk about....good thing we dont play Portsmouth this year......BUL CRAP.....Portsmouth has played Minford when Minford has ran the first 5 weeks unbeaten,and Portsmouth had not so good teams at the times, Portsmouth would get beat by the good teams on their schedule....and ...how many times has Minford beat Portsmouth? :?: :?: :?:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mikenmike
JV Team

Post by Mikenmike »

Child please! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sportsfan43
JV Team

Post by sportsfan43 »

well you have an opinion... ;-)

but serious,anyone know the over all record for Portmouth/Minford :?:

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

sportsfan43 wrote:well you have an opinion... ;-)

but serious,anyone know the over all record for Portmouth/Minford :?:

Portsmouth has dominated the series leading 6-0. The total score is Portsmouth 227 Minford 56. Average score PHS 37.8 Minford 9.3.

2005- Portsmouth (2-8) 26 Minford ( 3-7) 7
2004- Portsmouth (7-3) 39 Minford ( 4-6) 6
2003- Portsmouth (4-6) 48 Minford (7-3) 13 Minford beat Burg this year
2002 Portsmouth (9-1) 52 Minford (3-7) 13
2001 Portsmouth (9-1) 35 Minford (5-5) 10
2000 Portsmouth (10-0) 27 Minford (7-3) 7

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Minford wins the SOC II and more than likely finishes #1 in region 19. Great job Falcons!

Return to “Football”