D5 - Region 19: (#5) Wheelersburg at (#4) Monroe Central

Who advances?

Total votes: 0

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Re: D5 - Region 19: (#5) Wheelersburg at (#4) Monroe Central

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Sounds like the Burg side was filled up also. Burg has always traveled well wherever the Pirates are playing.

Next week won't be any different.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Yeah, forgot to say congrats to MC on great season. It sounded like there QB was everything that he was advertised.

neutron man kept saying that the Burg pass defense will copst them the game and once again he was proved wrong. Like I had said earlier, Burg has that bend but don't break mentality on pass defense and even though they might have gave up a bunch of yards through the air, bottomline is that they still came away with the "W". Whenyou have three runners rush for over a 100 yards each, it has to make the other teams out there say , "WOW", which one do you key on to stop? I think that is what is going to make the Burg a dangerous team.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Sorry, I was remiss about the Burg contingent. You folks always travel well, I've seen it first hand in the past, so I kind of take it for granted. MY BAD!

Nice crowd tonight. Only complaints......Not enough folks working the concessions and the lines for the bathrooms. You'd think that a stadium that size would have more adequate facilities, or as Burg 77 and I discussed, brought in some port-a-johns for the crowd, as it was by far the largest crowd that they've seen at that stadium since the Trimble - Hannibal River playoff game last year......

You would have thought that they would have learned something :shock: :shock:

OK, I'm done beoching! Sorry :122245

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

Stats from WNXT

1st downs... WB-18..... MC-18
Yards rushing...WB- 404..... MC- 220
Yards passing...WB -80......MC - 205
Total yards.... WB-484......MC -425

Craigmiles..... 18 carries for 129 yds
Lang....... 13 carries for 167 yds
Shank.....22 carries for 108 yds

909 total yards in this game !!!

3 ties and 6 lead changes during the game.

carbon_dated
All State

Post by carbon_dated »

Was all set to watch this one then the call for 'OT' at work changed that.

Listened to most of it on radio. What a track meet!

Wish i could've met some of you SEOPSters.

Good luck Burg the rest of the way.

MC - you guys had a heckuva run the past 2 years. I wonder, how many times did Headley touch the ball tonight?

Sounded like Dierkes had a heckuva game.

Which paper will have the Wheelersburg story?

my2cents
S

Post by my2cents »

I think the biggest stat of the night was how many returning players the burg has coming back next year.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

CD - Heck of a game. Sounds like OT keeps you as a mythical figure. We still don't know if you exist, as it seems as though any time there is a chance to meet you, something comes up. Hmmmmmmm... :lol:

Anywho.......

Great game. You really missed a dandy!

Headley touching the ball, I have no idea. Kinchen, Hogue, and Headley had somewhat limited touches, due to the gameplan.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

my2cents wrote:I think the biggest stat of the night was how many returning players the burg has coming back next year.

If you're talking about that group of "Hogs" you call lineman, well, "Hell Yea", that is the biggest stat!!

Ptown Playmaker
Varsity

Post by Ptown Playmaker »

Congrats to the Burg! Get ready for another big win next week!

Incognito
Varsity

Post by Incognito »

my2cents wrote:I think the biggest stat of the night was how many returning players the burg has coming back next year.

Who all is coming back next year?Send me a PM no need to talk about next year when this year is still alive!

seasick80
All State

Post by seasick80 »

I know I posted that idiot comment but when #34 for burg had that Bline on Dierkes on MC 2nd possesion(?) and he was tackled from behind by the right OG, right in front of the WHITE HAT and no call, I was fumbling, bumbling for my cell phone to say WTH!

Steely, sorry about the halftime thing. I had to go get a smoke and somethin to eat. My knees were killing me and I had to keep moving around.
Trenches, i felt it would come to it and MC's lack of 2nd half participation all season started to show as the defense was wearing down. Its hard to stop a speeding bullet in craigmiles when you have about 80% energy (even tho the heart is there). The kid is a monster. Lang had one of his best rushing games of the year and Shank doing his dodge and juke helped wear the defense down.
Now for the MC qb. He is alot ffaster on turf and was making cuts I dont think he could make on grass. He has tremendous speed. Something the films could not show the Burg coaches. We couldnt adjust to him. And nice arm. His injury was a freak deal but he did save a td. Real deal? Oh yeah!
As for Kinchun(?) nice back. Good that he will be back 2 more years. Can only get better.
Game summary from me, if dierkes wasnt that good, this would have been a blowout. We have flushed some good QBs out of the pocket this year and it burns us every time. We just get a hand on them and then they are gone. Cant understand why our LBs arent coming up quick enuff to keep these long runs to a minimum, but we arent. And as yabba said, we bend dont break with the pass D, especially with the only lockdown CB out with an injury. I think we did pretty good tonight. I also think MC is one hell of a team and I see why they are talked up so well. Awesome game from start to finish.

I did hear that one of our players was asked by the ref b4 2nd half if Burg wants to defer or take the ball and our player misunderstood and said yea, we deferred, so the ref made us kick. But that still doesnt make sense. Why would you ask a player when the decision was already made by the coin toss at the beginning of the game? And Why would our player say deferred when it wasnt deferred in the first place?? :shock:
Anyway, cant believe this game was that special to start the post season. WOW!!

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Steely Dan, it was great to finally meet you and put a face to the name. I completely forget to tell you about how much I like you user name because they are by far one of my favorite bands, as I'm sure they must be one of yours as well. Donald Fagan is a musical genius.

The game was one of the best high school games I've ever witnessed. Not much defense, but the offenses sure lit it up. I bet the scoreboard has never seen that much action.

MC's QB was everything they advertised and more. If he hadn't gotten hurt in the 3rd quarter we just might be talking about a MC win here instead of a Burg victory. Wheelersburg had no answer for stopping him running the ball. Once he was limited to either handing off or passing they kind of got a handle on him. Congarts to the boys and coaches of Monroe Central on a very fine season and a great game plan. The Burg definitely had their hands full tonight.

Congrats to the Pirates on the huge victory. You guys never gave up and kept fighting for every yard. A yeomans effort out of everyone tonight. The line blocking was nothing short of spectacular and the backs were hitting the holes hard and pushing for extra yards on every play. The one thing they have got to correct though if they want to go far is all the extra yards they gave up after first contact with the rushers on defense. Numerous times the MC backs were hit within a couple yards on the LOS and they still would get 8 to 15 yarsd after contact. Got to find a way to put a stop to that.

Hopefully someone can come on here and explain fully just how the Burg had to get off to start both halves. I have been watching football for a very, very long time and I have never seen that happen before. Please explain this to me and everyone else who wants to know.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Burg Grad 77 - That entire beginning of each half's exchange was bizarre. I can't explain it, that is for sure!

Great to meet you as well, and your team was fun to watch (OK, not fun, but from a FB standpoint, great to watch!)

Better team won tonight, bottom line. Wish your kids well as they move on.

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

carbon_dated wrote:
Which paper will have the Wheelersburg story?

http://portsmouth-dailytimes.com/pages/ ... eft_column

bball fan123
Freshman Team

Post by bball fan123 »

Congrats to the Pirates!

tigerfan83
Freshman Team

Post by tigerfan83 »

Congrats Burg fron Ironton

pappy1
Varsity

Post by pappy1 »

I wouldn't be surprised if next week is not a shootout too.

Burg#1
JV Team

Post by Burg#1 »

Great job last night boys- probably the best high school football game i have seen in many years. Our boys played with a determined heart and looked incredible rissing to the challege every time mc scored. Mc quaterback is by far the best athlete quarterback we have faced this season. I agree with an earlier post if he wouldnt have gotten hurt this could have been a different outcome. # 12 for the burg you are amazing to watch this young man got hurt in i think the third quater and fought it off to stay in at d-end and make amazing plays. Way to go boys nice team effort we are proud of you :-D

West Side Pride
All Conference

Post by West Side Pride »

Great job guys, keep it rollin. West will be rooting for ya!

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

I'm not sure of that situation, but don't you have the choice of the ball or which goal to defend? In a very windy situation where your defense is excellent, maybe you would do this. Either way I think that's what the ref asks you. To come out then and kick an onside kick, that makes zero sense and sounds like a mess up.

Return to “Football”