D2 - R7: (2) Logan vs. (3) Brookhaven AT Hamilton Township

Who wins?

Total votes: 0

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: D2 - R7: (2) Logan vs. (3) Brookhaven AT Hamilton Township

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I'D LIKE TO THANK THE LOGAN POSTERS FOR THEIR SUPPORT AT OUR GAME SATURDAY. HOPE TO SEE YA'LL AGAIN THIS SATURDAY, AND CONGRATS ON A GREAT YEAR.

I Bleed Purple
Waterboy

Post by I Bleed Purple »

green-n-gold76 wrote:I had to move away from a couple of Logan fans because of their bitching about the coach and the play calling. Of course plays are going to work better against weaker teams... :roll: ...and of course ANY play is going to be more difficult to execute against more talented defenses.

Every game that I watch at every level ends with the losing team's fans griping about the play calling. The common misconception seems to be that if a coach makes the proper play calls, their team should be able to score at will....no matter how good the team they are playing is.

Friday night I saw a Brookhaven defense that gave the QB little time to think, gave the receivers very little separation, closed holes quickly, and made up for any mistakes in their assignments with incredible closing speed. That can make any play calling look bad.

Yes, those are true statements, but what you're probably too blind to see is what exactly those fans were 'bitching' about. As the game started, Logan was trying to test Brookhaven's D deep, as we all figured they would. That didn't work out well, obviously. Then, as we started to try to run the ball, we were having success. So, because of our success with the run game, we tried a few passes. After a few series, it was very apparent that we were going to have a better chance to run the ball against them than if we were to pass. So our last series or so to end the first half, we tried to spread them and pass again, which just wasn't working.

So, correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't one of the jobs of the coach to make adjustments during the course of a game? Well, after the first quarter, when you've had the ball a few times, and you can clearly see that your line is holding just a little better than swiss cheese, why would you not at least TRY going run-heavy on your offensive play calling? Try it - I guarantee you that's what those fans beside of you were complaining about. Because the Logan coaches just did NOT try to stay with the running game long enough.

And while we're on the topic, something else that was really exaggerated the other night, and is something I have wondered about ALL year long, was why Logan doesn't hurry up to line on some of their plays and take advantage of the mismatches on defense. There were at least 3 plays our entire section saw that Logan had no coverage on a wdeout b/c the defense wasn't in position yet. Logan could have had big plays off of situations like that different times this year, and I didn't understand why they didn't take advantage of it then. Especially when we had the QB and WR's to pull off a quick-hitter like that.

Bottom line is, yes, Brookhaven was a fassssssst, solid team, and they were able to set the tone early, and took away from us some of the things we had been doing up until that night. However, in my eyes, that doesn't excuse the fact that Logan's coaches stuck with their original agenda instead of changing according to the flow of the game.

Not to take anything away from either team. Brookhaven played a great game and earned the victory. And Logan continued to play hard in the face of adversity. Nothing to be ashamed of whatsoever. No regrets, they left it all on the field, the way it should be!
Last edited by I Bleed Purple on Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoChiefs
Varsity

Post by GoChiefs »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:I'D LIKE TO THANK THE LOGAN POSTERS FOR THEIR SUPPORT AT OUR GAME SATURDAY. HOPE TO SEE YA'LL AGAIN THIS SATURDAY, AND CONGRATS ON A GREAT YEAR.

I'll be there if I get to make it to Logan this weekend!

I Bleed Purple
Waterboy

Post by I Bleed Purple »

Hey Dave - if you're such a fortune teller, why don't you give me the numbers for tonight's lotto? I might even give you .001% of my winnings!

Go Chieftains!

dave
Riding the Bench

Post by dave »

Pick 3 683
Pick 4 2614
Mega ...................I will keep to myself :lol:

GoChiefs
Varsity

Post by GoChiefs »

Still waiting for you to show me where I said the Chiefs would win the Championship. :122249

wowhesfast
Freshman Team

Post by wowhesfast »

Before now It's been very painful for me to talk about this game, but there's a few things I gotta say...
It's been difficult because I think there were a lot of outside things that had profound influence on the game.

First I gotta call out Logan fans. ARE WE THAT SPOILED THAT WE GET THAT QUIET WHEN OUR TEAM IS DOWN BY A SCORE? There were lots of Logan fans in the stands, yes, but there weren't that many that were loud. Meanwhile, our boys were waving there arms so much I thought a few of them could have taken off, and then people leaving a close game like that? Ridiculous. On every play there were 22 boys fighting for their proverbial lives, and there were 3500 Logan fans you couldn't hear a peep out of. Everyone should have been at least a little hoarse the next morning. I blame the fact that were'll all used to building up 6 td leads, then coasting, I blame that new stadium of ours, I blame the folks that put the band by itself in the corner in that monstrosity of a field, I blame the student sections of the last few years.

I thought the Logan coaches could have done a better job. The worst coaching job all night was the call on the first play of the game. It's irresponsible to put the weight of the world on your left tackle like that by taking the deep ball on the first play. Derrick Bryant was the best guy possibly on the field, you can't give your tackle a one on one against him when the kid has no good clue how to handle someone like that. I thought Logan could have made a better effort to run the ball early, as McDaniel and Mays were able to pick up some good ones, but you needed to be sure you kept it spread out when you ran it. I didn't like how we got in our goal line offense, and it came very close to costing us our only touchdown of the game (saved by Pat Angle's best play all year).

The officiating was downright atrocious, and in a very rare case might have cost a team the game. I'm very sure that the double pass was legal, or else was to close for the official to have an opinion on the matter. Why can't the OHSAA tell the stripes to let the kids play? Every playoff game I've been to in the last three or four years the referee has been signaling way to much. The NFL tells the officials to back off playoff games, and the state needs to do the same.

And if Patrick Angle doesn't get hurt, Logan wins by two scores. It is a terrible twist of fate that this is the case, if for no other reason than there will always be a "what if". I think the way the Chiefs played without him goes a long way in making the case that he was the best Chieftain ever. Any D1 program in the nation short of perennial top-25 dwellers are making a fundamental mistake in not taking or even seriously recruiting Patrick. He's got a glimmer of everything, everything except the 6-5 height, and will be a great player at the next level if he stays healthy, smart, and somebody outside our community realizes his potential.

wrestler87
Freshman Team

Post by wrestler87 »

What He said!

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

My final word on the game...the better team THAT NIGHT won. If we played them ten times, I feel we'd win our share. We just weren't prepared for that speed. Get behind early by a turnover and you are fighting uphill all night. I loved the way our guys kept fighting. I hated to lose Pat when we did but Brookhaven was on their game and we didn't have answers. But I wouldn't be surprised if Brookhaven loses this week or bad in the semis because they might not play with that intensity every game. Logan, great season. Perpare for next year. Seniors, this is not the end of your lives; just a chapter, Make your plans and move on.

GoChiefs
Varsity

Post by GoChiefs »

We lost..no excuses..get back to work and get ready for next year. This season is over..but a new one will begin.

I Bleed Purple
Waterboy

Post by I Bleed Purple »

wowhesfast - great post! I think you hit the nail on the head as far as the fans not being in the game. The truth is, Logan has been soo good the last few years that they just expect to always win. Sadly, this was a superior set of athletes and we all know how often a group like this comes around. Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Chieftains, and will never stop supporting them, but I have a bad feeling that next year all the fans that took so much for granted will get a hard wake-up call as to just HOW special these last 2-3 years really were!

Return to “Football”