R19: 5) Wheelersburg vs. 1) Fredericktown@ Nelsonville York

Who wins?

Total votes: 0

seasick80
All State

Re: R19: 5) Wheelersburg vs. 1) Fredericktown@ Nelsonville York

Post by seasick80 »

eddie wrote:run the play that was called a power play behind your tackle guard get in. they had 4 players over our guard, center, guard.

They had their QB over frowine.......

Same as in the 2nd QTR when Lang QB sneak ran in for the TD.

I would think that is tressel ball but he didnt do that against USC either :shock:
Last edited by seasick80 on Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

eddie
JV Team

Post by eddie »

o k run the play that is called. its real simple. u r making it hard. if we dont fumble it is a td.

seasick80
All State

Post by seasick80 »

eddie wrote:o k run the play that is called. its real simple. u r making it hard. if we dont fumble it is a td.

2 foot vs 3 yards. No comparison. Why run it from 3 yds vs 2 feet?

Dont get it and putting the ball on the left hash.

How about a fullback run up the middle of the line? if not a QB sneak.

Dakota was having a good game up the gut!
Last edited by seasick80 on Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

eddie
JV Team

Post by eddie »

so what u r saying is ---woodward is 2 play calls away from being a Super Star. execute the play

seasick80
All State

Post by seasick80 »

eddie wrote:so what u r saying is ---woodward is 2 play calls away from being a Super Star. execute the play

If he made the simple calls, kicking, running the sneak

He made 2 simple calls and expanded them into 4 yd gains.

Nothing against you EDDIE, I understand ur posts!!

eddie
JV Team

Post by eddie »

Coach Miller was criticized along with Hall, Lewis. U all thought coach Miller was to much run no passing. Next Hall he just runs the ctr. trey and trap—defense can stop the run but not the pass. Then Lewis all he wants to do is spread u out and pass the ball and once in the lead play not to lose— I heard --how about 2 tights and run the ball a little bit. Now its Woodward turn to take the heat. It all comes down to execution no matter what style. We have the most playoff appearances in d-5. Coach Miller won 200+ and has 1 state champ. Stick with game plans (ball controll) this will allow for a chance to win in the 4th. That is what I was taught by Coach Miller and Hall. Stay within the program, execute plays and success will follow. I believe this is coach Woodwards philosophy. old school.

Kenraken Ahta
JV Team

Post by Kenraken Ahta »

To the Wheelersburg Coaching Staff, Players and Fans, you had an outstanding season. Your Program historically is without doubt, the best in the SOC-II. Numerous conference championships, play-off appearances and a state title in 1989. Yes, another state title in 2009 would have been nice, but let's face it, you have much to be proud of and thankful for, now and in years past. You will have another great season coming up in 2010. Great job Pirates representing the SOC-II and Southern Ohio in 2009! Again, CONGRATULATIONS ON A GREAT SEASON!!

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

I have never been a fan of the ball control offense especially if you have been wearing a team out by running the spread or running a certain offense and then you go totally away from it and more times than not, it comes back to bite you in the butt.

fbbacker
Riding the Bench

Post by fbbacker »

I have refrained from posting anything negative until now. I gave the guys a "good job for the season" post and I was going to be done with it. I feel though that I'm going to give my 2 cents on the whole thing now.

We can second guess the coaching, the play call, the refs, etc. etc. etc. until we're blue in the face. We can kick the dead horse around all day. Bottom line is we lost.

Coaching is a thankless job. Coaches spend hours and hours watching film, getting the team ready, practices, late nights, time away from families, etc. with their teams. They get little pay for this compared to the hours they put in. They know their team much better than any of us do.

Same with refs. Very little pay, long drives to games, late nights and tons of scrutiny. These are grown men who are trying to help kids out by doing games and making correct decisions. Yes we do doubt them when we believe they are completely wrong but bottom line is that these are strong, fast kids and the refs have to make snap decisions without the aide of replay. We have the luxury of thousands of pairs of eyes and sometimes pictures (thanks dr rabbit) to back up what we thought was a bad call.

With that being said....was it a questionable call to turn and hand the ball off? Maybe. I personally would have run a couple up the middle with the QB sneak. But then again I don't know the kids like the coach does. I don't know which play has been more successful in those situations.

Would I have spread it out more in the second half and given up on the runs up the middle? Probably, but then again, I don't know the personnel groupings who the Burg had who was healthy enough to be in the game. I also don't know which players were more comfortable in which formations, which players were better suited against their defensive fronts, secondaries, etc. I'm trusting that the coaches did know and that's why they didn't throw. Or maybe they didn't throw because they knew that the possibility for an interception was there. Or maybe because Lang wasn't throwing very accurately. Who knows.

I would have done things differently. I'm sure plenty of others would have to. But the bottom line is I'm not coaching, I'm just a fan and I don't spend many many hours with these boys. I don't know what they're fully capable of, they do. It hurt, it sucked, but life will go on, this was just a game and we went a heckuva lot farther than almost all teams in the area did. We have a great coaching staff, a great tradition and WE ARE....THE BURG!!!!

marshallman
Varsity

Post by marshallman »

Roger Gray and Snuffy were talking after the game on the radio and Snuffy stated that the coaches were ash grey looking in the face with a blank stare. A look he never has seen before on a coaches face. I'm sure they felt they had the game won with the right play call.
Snuffy said he could not think of a worse way to lose other than by a Hail Mary pass to end the game. How many times has this happened in college and pro ball?
Fumbles are a part of the game and it happens. I'm sure it was the right call. Freddies probably called the right defense. If you want to see a bone-headed coaching call watch the last two minutes of last night NE vs Colts game!

eddie
JV Team

Post by eddie »

i remember a lot of the same conversation in 2007 against p-town with drew spradlin running a qb sneak and fumbled. what were they thinking ---they should have done this or that and the fumble would not have happend.

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

yabbadabbadoo wrote:It isn't like they needed a full yard, they needed 6 inches.

It WAS a full yard. Do you want to see the pictures?

The ONLY reason we are arguing about that play call is that it was fumbled. If it was not fumbled, then the play was a great call.

Tyler Lang and Scott Walker had already fumbled that game and Julian Silvey had slipped cutting for a hole and lost yardage. All could have been good choices in that situation because they don't USUALLY do those things but the coaches were trying to make the safest choice--someone who had not fumbled more than once this season...

Coach Woodward is GREAT coach. He has all the attributes and skills that will only get better with time. I could not have scripted a better coach for this program. Yes, he is young and there are lessons to be learned--one of which is NOT to listen to idiots on the internet--even a plethora of them. But going off tackle verses going over center is just a choice. Neither choice was wrong.

281 to go!

Neutron Man
All State

Post by Neutron Man »

drrabbit wrote:
yabbadabbadoo wrote:It isn't like they needed a full yard, they needed 6 inches.

It WAS a full yard. Do you want to see the pictures?

The ONLY reason we are arguing about that play call is that it was fumbled. If it was not fumbled, then the play was a great call.

Tyler Lang and Scott Walker had already fumbled that game and Julian Silvey had slipped cutting for a hole and lost yardage. All could have been good choices in that situation because they don't USUALLY do those things but the coaches were trying to make the safest choice--someone who had not fumbled more than once this season...

Coach Woodward is GREAT coach. He has all the attributes and skills that will only get better with time. I could not have scripted a better coach for this program. Yes, he is young and there are lessons to be learned--one of which is NOT to listen to idiots on the internet--even a plethora of them. But going off tackle verses going over center is just a choice. Neither choice was wrong.

281 to go!

No even if they got in, it was a dumb call.
You don't hand off 2 yrds back for a play you need 1 yrd for.
I don't care how much time, how many timeouts or injuries. You QB Sneak!!
Don't get it, line up and do it again

Burg#1
JV Team

Post by Burg#1 »

You know we can beat a dead horse all you want- the game is over its time to quit bashing. I have family that plays for coach Woodward and they all love him and the other coaches. Great motivators whom are great for the boys. Time to get on with the motivation for next year and let it be. Yes it is unfortunate but it is what it is. Coach Woodward is really good for the program both in the classroom and on the field his love for the game and the boys is very much appreciated from our community and we wouldnt trade him for anyone. His assistant coaches are awesome also and the boys love and respect them. 2010 watch out we will be back! GO BURG! :-D

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

I didnt think someone stating their opinion was bashing.

Qb sneak probably would have won it but we will never know. I can certainly see where Burg fans would be upset with plays called against Minford and Fredericktown .

One the otherhand, these coaches put in more than most people know for their programs and its hard to criticize them.

Neutron Man
All State

Post by Neutron Man »

Bleeding Red wrote:I didnt think someone stating their opinion was bashing.

Qb sneak probably would have won it but we will never know. I can certainly see where Burg fans would be upset with plays called against Minford and Fredericktown .

One the otherhand, these coaches put in more than most people know for their programs and its hard to criticize them.

No kidding. Nobody is "bashing" the coach. I'm questioning the call that was made. That does make a enormous difference in these kids lives. Yes there is another year, but not for all of them. Opinions, thats all this is. Opinions. Not once did I see anyone saying that the coaches were bad people or stupid. Just a bad decision.

Coaches put more into a game than most know, myself included. Its easy to be a bleacher coach i know, but any true fan generally is. Even if there is family in the coaching staff.

Yes this is beating a dead horse, so I will lick my wounds and look forward to the Rose Bowl!

GO BUCKS!!
Go Burg next year
& Good Luck Ironton!!

eddie
JV Team

Post by eddie »

neutron man
i am not bashing u but i do think u make some really bad choices regarding ur remarks on this site. it is ovious ur just a bleacher coach and know very little about football preperation. i too have friends and family involved with the football program --both players and coaches and i am a alumni. i do know 100% that the players get a kick out of ur post and others on here. i can take 8 +'s wins with a playoff birth each year. the only thing i want to happen for the 2010 season that didnt in 2009 is the soc title.

seasick80
All State

Post by seasick80 »

eddie wrote:i remember a lot of the same conversation in 2007 against p-town with drew spradlin running a qb sneak and fumbled. what were they thinking ---they should have done this or that and the fumble would not have happend.

he was taking a knee.

seasick80
All State

Post by seasick80 »

fbbacker wrote:I have refrained from posting anything negative until now. I gave the guys a "good job for the season" post and I was going to be done with it. I feel though that I'm going to give my 2 cents on the whole thing now.

We can second guess the coaching, the play call, the refs, etc. etc. etc. until we're blue in the face. We can kick the dead horse around all day. Bottom line is we lost.

Coaching is a thankless job. Coaches spend hours and hours watching film, getting the team ready, practices, late nights, time away from families, etc. with their teams. They get little pay for this compared to the hours they put in. They know their team much better than any of us do.

Same with refs. Very little pay, long drives to games, late nights and tons of scrutiny. These are grown men who are trying to help kids out by doing games and making correct decisions. Yes we do doubt them when we believe they are completely wrong but bottom line is that these are strong, fast kids and the refs have to make snap decisions without the aide of replay. We have the luxury of thousands of pairs of eyes and sometimes pictures (thanks dr rabbit) to back up what we thought was a bad call.

With that being said....was it a questionable call to turn and hand the ball off? Maybe. I personally would have run a couple up the middle with the QB sneak. But then again I don't know the kids like the coach does. I don't know which play has been more successful in those situations.

Would I have spread it out more in the second half and given up on the runs up the middle? Probably, but then again, I don't know the personnel groupings who the Burg had who was healthy enough to be in the game. I also don't know which players were more comfortable in which formations, which players were better suited against their defensive fronts, secondaries, etc. I'm trusting that the coaches did know and that's why they didn't throw. Or maybe they didn't throw because they knew that the possibility for an interception was there. Or maybe because Lang wasn't throwing very accurately. Who knows.

I would have done things differently. I'm sure plenty of others would have to. But the bottom line is I'm not coaching, I'm just a fan and I don't spend many many hours with these boys. I don't know what they're fully capable of, they do. It hurt, it sucked, but life will go on, this was just a game and we went a heckuva lot farther than almost all teams in the area did. We have a great coaching staff, a great tradition and WE ARE....THE BURG!!!!

NICE!! Couldnt agree more. Only thing is, this is a posting sight for fans. I personally had a GREAT time watching this team this season. Great atheletes and a great TEAM!! NO DOUBT!!. You could see they were coming together by week 3, high fiving and fist pumps!! Awesome. From what ive heard, some of the seniors hadnt ever talked to the kids blocking for them until after the Ironton game. Amazing. But all of a sudden, you saw tailbacks helping linemen get up off the ground 10 yards down the field. Like, "Thanks for Blocking this far down for me!". All of a sudden, this team took off!! Talk about throwback!

I hope this carries on to next year. I am sure it will. I think the whole Burg team went thru a growing pain early on but brought back alot of the TRADITION these high schoolers were taught about and have been playing for!

Get it going this week guys with weights (ugh), conditioning (ugh) and PATIENCE!! Like DR posted, 200 + days till its YOUR TURN!!

eddie
JV Team

Post by eddie »

demaniac1

i agree

Return to “Football”