Any D-1 Offers for Logan's Patrick Angle?

ChieftainGrad135
Riding the Bench

Re: Any D-1 Offers for Logan's Patrick Angle?

Post by ChieftainGrad135 »

Toledo is understandable..........but COLGATE! Where in the heck did they come from? Oh.........preach it 4 HORSEMEN!!!!

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

pat could rewrite the patriot league record books? kinda cool actually.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

moonschein wrote:I still disagree with you as far as reading defenses, I am not taking anything away from Pat, but when the Chiefs played strong teams Pat was just a good QB, again decsion making and reading defenses is the key!

There are few, if ANY, high school kids who learn how to "read" defenses. That is the biggest hurdle for most kids making the transition to the "next level."

I work with Ben Roethlisburger's high school coach, and we were talking last week. Ben passed for over 4,000 yards his senior year (for comparison, Pat threw for 5,000 in 2 years) - But after Ben's first year at Miami, he came back to Findlay and told asked his coach "why didn't you teach me how to read defenses?" -

While athletes like Roechlisburger and even Pat may be capable of learning to make the reads, it takes a whole unit, including receivers who can also make reads, to allow the QB to do the "reading" - as it stands, most of the time coaching staffs are making reads from the booth or on the field, and things are simplified for high school quarterbacks.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

LoganLocos wrote:
moonschein wrote:I still disagree with you as far as reading defenses, I am not taking anything away from Pat, but when the Chiefs played strong teams Pat was just a good QB, again decsion making and reading defenses is the key!

There are few, if ANY, high school kids who learn how to "read" defenses. That is the biggest hurdle for most kids making the transition to the "next level."

I work with Ben Roethlisburger's high school coach, and we were talking last week. Ben passed for over 4,000 yards his senior year (for comparison, Pat threw for 5,000 in 2 years) - But after Ben's first year at Miami, he came back to Findlay and told asked his coach "why didn't you teach me how to read defenses?" -

While athletes like Roechlisburger and even Pat may be capable of learning to make the reads, it takes a whole unit, including receivers who can also make reads, to allow the QB to do the "reading" - as it stands, most of the time coaching staffs are making reads from the booth or on the field, and things are simplified for high school quarterbacks.

moonschein has a hard time of reading anything--lol

Cap'n Scoop
All State

Post by Cap'n Scoop »

Much better football player than baseball player.

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

LoganLocos wrote:

Good reply, but Football 101, a 2nd or 3rd year starting QB should be able to study game films and and figure out if it is cover 1 or 2 or zone, also they should have hot routes if the QB see a bilz or bullets coming. These are are just some of basic. This is what make a super great QB. A coaching friend of mine has his grade school and Jr high QB prospects playing and watching football video games to understand how defenses work and to understand and see why a play was a successful or why it failed. As a tool it doesn't get better than that!

KC Java
Freshman Team

Post by KC Java »

The problem is simple. D1 schools look at the caliber of schedule a school plays, too. It has been well documented on seops that Logan is a big fish in a small pond in the SEOAL. If they were to leave and play in a REAL conference, things would change on the recruiting circuit. Of course, that IS assuming they could actually win in another conference....Until then, the purple can keep winning an inferior league and watching their kids suffer because no college wants kids that don't play against competition at least equal to them......they cant compete once they get on campus because they aren't used to a shark tank mentality that is commonplace in college football.

jiveturkey
Freshman Team

Post by jiveturkey »

I, personally, would LOVE to see him in a uniform at the new program at Rio Grande. Then, he would be close enough for us all to enjoy watching him kick arse for 4 more years.

for_the_kids
Waterboy

Post by for_the_kids »

KC Java, you don't get selected 1st team all state two years in a row for nothing. This kid can play period. He only played QB his last two years in high school and lf you watch this young man throw the ball and all the other things that he does on the field you would change your mind about Pat Angle. Some school is going to get one heck of a player and a great young man.

datchillicav
JV Team

Post by datchillicav »

lhs_iraq_vet wrote:
I think where the ball gets dropped is the coaching staff getting their athletes names out there. Tell me this.....how does Portsmouth, Chillicothe, and other schools in our league get athletes to D1 schools and we don't. It is because we lack recruiting coordination. It was a downfall with the 2000 team. We had D1 talent then, but the coaching staff expected the D1 schools to come calling on the athletes. The coaching staff should be working with the "legit" college prospect athletes during their junior year on getting their name out there.

I think you hit the nail on the head. The key to getting recruited(especially in low publicity areas like SEO) is having people represent you snf push your name to college coaches. I know from talking to many of my college teammates that this is not the norm but at Chillicothe we have a recruiting coordinator who literally handles EVERYTHING the recruiting process entails for every player who wants to play in college regardless of that players skill level. Add to that that the head coach and position coaches attend multiple recruiting conventions(I guess you would call them) and present player information sheets as well as make films available to coaches at the D1, 2, 3 and NAIA levels. Say what you want about Chilli and its last coaching staff in terms of wins and losses but I have never seen a staff do so much for the kids off the field as far as furthering their careers. That is why Chilli often gets transfers from the county schools who feel they are a college-quality athlete and need help with the recruiting process. I have even heard of former head coach Bill Davidson and recruiting coordinator Brad Basil helping kids who DID NOT attend CHS through the recruiting process by sending out tapes of that school playing CHS or an opponent on a scouting film and forwarding information on that player.

My question is whether Pat has attended any combines?

That is the key to getting noticed by the larger schools. D3 schools usually send out "feeler" calls or letters to players they have scouted in person to gage interest and then decide who they will recruit further. D1 schools do a bit of that but usually raid combines looking for the "measurables". EVERYONE I know who has gone D1 has been noticed at combines. (I know quite a few BTW).

Former Cavalier and Current Miami Redhawk Chris Givens, for example garnered a great deal of interest from the major programs and even some offers based on his perfromance at the Louisville combine. Who is to say whether he would have fallen through the cracks if he had not gone to combines.

Regarding Mt. Union, that would be an honor for anyone to play there. While it is not D1 it is a great school and football program where he would learn the game from one of the best coaches in the nation regardless of division.

ChieftainGrad135
Riding the Bench

Post by ChieftainGrad135 »

KC Java wrote:The problem is simple. D1 schools look at the caliber of schedule a school plays, too. It has been well documented on seops that Logan is a big fish in a small pond in the SEOAL. If they were to leave and play in a REAL conference, things would change on the recruiting circuit. Of course, that IS assuming they could actually win in another conference....Until then, the purple can keep winning an inferior league and watching their kids suffer because no college wants kids that don't play against competition at least equal to them......they cant compete once they get on campus because they aren't used to a shark tank mentality that is commonplace in college football.

Java............your ideation is unfounded because the "little fish" in the "little pond" that Logan swims in have gotten plenty of D1 recruits out there (i.e. Portsmouth, Chillicothe, Ironton to name a few). Like I said, the issue falls back on the recruiting coordination effort. There is a severe deficiency in that aspect. The last D1 player Logan produced was Derek Harden and he had to walk on at Ohio State. Was he OSU starter D1 talent? No. However, he could have easily started at other good size D1 schools across the nation. So the school and the coaches need to coordinate better on building a viable recruiting program that will afford opportunities to Logan players that they would not get otherwise and are not getting now. By the way, before someone goes on here blabbing about how I am bashing the coaching staff, I am not. I am friends with many of them and I have brought up the recruiting coordination issue to them as well. The are trying to make a better effort on it they say. But again, Java, rather than just playing the "Bash Logan" and "Bash the SEOAL" card, do your research. As for Logan joining a "Big Pond" league, that is for another thread. I am sure in your mind the only "Big Pond" league to you is the OCC.

osu*me
Riding the Bench

Post by osu*me »

he did not attend any combines...

how much do they cost?

datchillicav
JV Team

Post by datchillicav »

osu*me wrote:he did not attend any combines...

how much do they cost?

That is probably the single biggest factor affecting scholarship offers other than on field play(which can be overlooked). They are usually not too much. "Camps" can be very expensive(300 $ or more) but "combines" are around $25 and if the player is a legitimate D1 prospect that fee is often waved because the coaches want to see that player. When I was in high school I attended a combine at UC (I was nowhere near a D1 prospect) for $25 and a few camps and a few combines at D3 schools. At the UC camp, there were a few larger schools (Glenville, Colerain, a few others) that brough all of there D1 prospects and had the fees waived. Other individual athletes from other schools also had their fees waived so that the UC coaching staff and other staffs could get an up-close look at them.

As I said before, when Chris Givens was named MVP of the Louisville NIKE elite combine (or somethin like that) is when the offers started pouring in for him.

GoChiefs
Varsity

Post by GoChiefs »

KC Java wrote:The problem is simple. D1 schools look at the caliber of schedule a school plays, too. It has been well documented on seops that Logan is a big fish in a small pond in the SEOAL. If they were to leave and play in a REAL conference, things would change on the recruiting circuit. Of course, that IS assuming they could actually win in another conference....Until then, the purple can keep winning an inferior league and watching their kids suffer because no college wants kids that don't play against competition at least equal to them......they cant compete once they get on campus because they aren't used to a shark tank mentality that is commonplace in college football.

If you are going to TRY to bash Logan..could you at least make an ATTEMPT to be original??? You just go to another thread and copy and paste? Couldn't have an original thought? :roll:

know all
Freshman Team

Post by know all »

why is so many people jealous of logan,good people,hard working athletes-and logan is going to be huge in the next 5yrs,so many new faces moving to logan every body in se-ohio should be proud i always root for every team in se-ohio to do good.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

Big guy on the block can't beatem so you just don't like them.
Enrollment is dropping everywhere in SE OHio.
Look at Chillicothe 20 yrs ago Div I now DIII

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

The thread is drifting...this isn't about Logan, it's about Pat. I say when the smoke clears he will have an offer worth accepting. It might not be a DI offer but he will be given a chance (along with some of his teammates) to play well at the next level.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Where ever Pat goes I wish him the best!!!!!

know all
Freshman Team

Post by know all »

pat could play anywhere good luck.

boy of summer
Freshman Team

Post by boy of summer »

Pat Angle is an athlete through and through and an even better kid. There is no reason whatsoever that schools are not recruiting him to play QB.

Return to “Football”