center of attention
Waterboy

Re: All Time OVC Team

Post by center of attention »

i can think of a few from other schools as well. Greg Damron-RB-rock hill
Chuck Bridges-RB-rock hill
Jeff Thornburg-WR-Chesapeake
KC Christian-RB-rock hill
thats all i can really think of off the top of my head.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

I think we need some of our old timers on here to respond because I see a lot of young names.

From Chesapeake:

QB- Andy Clark, Morehead State
RB- Josh Waugh, 1st team all state and divison 5 offensive player of the year, Miami, OH and Glenville State
Cody Hunt- over 3,000 yards in his career---all-time leading rusher at CHesapeake---Morehead State
Sunny Stowers---One of the most dominate players of his time--turned down Ohio State to play with Roger Staugbach at Navy.
WR- Robbie Issacs---Best athlete at WR I have ever seen in the conference. 1st team all state---turned down Purdue to stay at home---marshall---also a state champion in the 200m and long jump, place in the 100m

earp
S

Post by earp »

Davenport over Issacs Matt???Probably not!LOL! :lol:If im going to start a team I am going to start with the 2 best lineman Billy Poe: Rock Hill or Dean Wilks of Fairland!

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

1956.........Running Backs from Fairland..........Hunter Skinner and Gary Black

1956........Running backs from South Point .............Mickey Lucas and Don Fitzpatrick

earp
S

Post by earp »

I think Terry Duty and D-Train Conwell have to be mentioned from South Point at running back as well!D-Train was a 4 year starter at WVU after all!

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

1958..........Rock Hill QB.........Dick White

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

QB or All-Purpose---Jimbo Davis, South Point, late 70's---Michigan---Started as a rFr at Safety

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Earp,

Who was the Chesapeake QB/LB in the mid 70's who went to North Carolina State?

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

South Point QB...........Pee Wee Gibson

Matt52
JV Team

Post by Matt52 »

Earp sorry but that was before my time I'm only 16

sinker
Freshman Team

Post by sinker »

jack hager fb, late 60's, rock hill...gotta be on the list!

earp
S

Post by earp »

Totally understand Matt! ;-) Trust me on this one though,Issacs was the best reciever ever in the OVC!And that is coming from a Fairland guy!Cant recall the guys name Peake that went to NC State,Know who youre talking about though!I will find out the name though! ;-)

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Earp,

What are your thoughts on Jimbo Davis? I heard he was by far the best athlete to play in the OVC.

avalanche
JV Team

Post by avalanche »

Here is my two cents. I have watched Chesapeake football since I was 5 and these are the best guys I can remember.

Quarterback-1. Andy Clark- He was everything you could want in a QB. He could throw it, accurate, was a much better athlete then people give him credit for, and was extremely smart. I remember him throwing for over 100 yards against Fairland his senior year and running for over 100 yards. They honestly never saw it coming. Had Andy been about 6'2 instead of 6'0 he would have played D-1.
2. Luke Beach- Some people may argue this, but he had all the tools. He had a rocket arm, and when Coach Davis decided to throw it he could do it. I remember the big build up for the South Point game his junior year. There were several coaches in the stands including coaches from Purdue to see Jared Smith, and it was Beach who put on the show. He threw for over 100 yards in that game and tossed 3 touchdowns. He also had to be the best running QB we have had in a while. He ran so hard and if you got in his way he'd drill you. If Beach would have stayed healthy he'd had played d-1.
3. Caleb McComas- This kid came a long way from his sophomore to junior season. He threw for over a 1,000 yards his junior season and led the Panthers to the playoffs. He was excellent in the pocket and had very nice touch. He had a bit of a lapse his senior year, but it was still a very good year.
4. Aaron Donahoe- This is another kid who ran the ball very hard. He threw it well was really the gun-slinger of the group. Maybe he is too far down on the list for someone's taste, but he really never had a supporting cast around him like the others.
5. Scott Davis- He would be the walk-on of the bunch if this were college football. He was very intelligent and a master of playaction with the football. He could run as well, but was so thin. Had he stopped wrestling and focused on football the guy could have been number 1, but he weighed all of 140.

Runningback- 1a. Cody Hunt- Cody was by far the quickest of all the runningbacks I have seen at Chesapeake. His speed was not Issacs speed, but he could still scoot. His feet never seemed to stop going and once he was in space you are not going to touch him. He is the all time leading rusher ever at Chesapeake and was one hell of a player. If he had been another inch or two taller he would have played corner in d-1. I remember him against South Point in the rain and mud his junior year. South Point was sliding around and it was impossible for them to even touch him. He went for 200 yards and 3 touchdowns in that one.
1b. Josh Waugh- The best athlete of all the runningbacks. Kid was big (6'2, 190), he could run (ran a 4.5 at Miami, OH camp), and could jump (in basketball he would 360 dunk). He had over 20 touchdowns his senior year and was named all-state player of the year in division 5. He also picked 10 balls his senior year and could have easily been the defensive player of the year in the state. It is difficult for me not to put him alone at number 1, but he was more athlete then just pure runningback.
3. Mike Hunt- A member of the thunder and lightening backfield with his brother Cody. He was very explosive and could make unbelievable cuts. I watched him cut off the wrong foot and make the defender look silly. He came a long way in terms of catching the ball as well. I remember when he was a sophomore he could not catch a cold, and then by his senior season he was one of the main targets. He was the ultimate #2 back because people would key on Waugh or Cody, and Mike would take full advantage of this. Mike was also a very good athlete and was offered a gray shirt at Marshall. I do not know what happened but it never worked out.
4. Chris Fizer- Fizer was really the first great runningback at Chesapeake that I watched. He was very good and was a terror on special teams. If he caught a punt then you could count it for 6. He ran the ball very well and was a good athlete. He was Cody Hunt before Cody came along. He would make you miss and made great cut backs across the grain. The problem with Fizer was that he would never really lower his head and run you over and he was not as quick as Hunt. A good back who was all-state.
5. Mark Runyon- Runyon was in the backfield with Fizer and boy were they deadly. Mark had very good straight ahead speed. He was an 11 flat guy in the 100m. He played the fullback position very well in the offense coach Davis runs. He was strong as well. His legs were like big tree trunks. The best fullback I have seen in my time at Chesapeake.
6. Zeb Best- The ultimate blocking back. He loved to run you over. He was huge at 6'4, 230 and would do anything to make contact with you. One of the better linebackers and overall football players I have seen, but did not really have the speed to be a homerun threat. He hurt his knee his senior season and this set him back a bit.
7. Triston Clark- Thank you Fairland is all I have to say :122245

Wideout-1. Robbie Issacs-Easiest call I have ever made. Kid was probably the best wideout ever to play in the OVC. No one at Chesapeake ever had a clue that this kid was going to be great. He was a true diamond in the rough. I remember when we played Amanda Clearcreek in the playoffs, and despite them having the better team, people from Clearcreek were in aw of Issacs. He could have ran track anywhere in the United States, but choose to turn down Purdue to stay close to his now wife. I honestly have no clue what happened to him at Marshall. I have heard that he just lost interest.
2. Jeff Thornburg- This guy would drop the most basic pass, then make a catch that should have never been caught. He was a good size wideout and 6'2, 175, but did not have that 2nd gear that the speedier players at Chesapeake had. Jeff would go over the middle and take a shot from anyone. A very tough player.
3. Josh Dillion- The most underrated of all the wideouts. He would full you with his speed and burn you. He made South Point look silly his senior year by torching them for 3 touchdowns. He was the ultimate deep threat and was a very good athlete. He was also a very good blocker, something that most of these top guys were not (exclude Issacs). He had that other gear that only he and Issacs possessed.
4. Dustin O'Brian- He was a very good athlete that reminded me a lot of Sam Huff. He had natural ball instincts and was able to go up over people and come down with a jump ball. Was very technically sound coming out of his routes and that is something that most were not in this group. He was not a burner but could run.

That is a good start. I will do more later.

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

Here is a quesiton, who is or was the fastest running back in the OVC, for my money(sorry Grove fans but it's not Oakie, it's not Dusty Smith) it has to be TT Johsnons from South Point, not only fast but the quickest first step ever.

Return to “Football”