MVL 2010

Who wins in 2010?

Total votes: 0

Philos_Finest
All Conference

Re: MVL 2010

Post by Philos_Finest »

They would beat them most years you're right, but they certainly wouldn't run them off the field. Just Like Steubenville, Dover & Indian Hill were supposed to years ago along with numerous other teams Sheridan has played in the past.

DRIFTER
Freshman Team

Post by DRIFTER »

I love our area football but I would have to agree with Ursiline being a little more than a Sheridan could handle. Same could be said for any of our area good programs, Logan, Licking Valley, Tri Valley, Zanesville, Lancaster, New Lex ect. Logan and Sheridan always have solid programs with some studs. But when you look at the numbers of studs or talent at the skill postions, it just doesn't add up, not close. I dont think you will see a Sheridan or Logan with 6-8 kids going to D1 schools for football every year, or any year. Too much talent in space and miss matches would not allow even the best Sheridan or Logan defenses to stop a Ursiline or Mooney. I have seen some Sheridan and Logan teams that would play them close, but how close? Big advantage in getting the most talented skill players and speed when you can get kids from every where!

newlex/sheridan
Varsity

Post by newlex/sheridan »

Just wanted to point out that this years addition is as athletically talented as any sheridan has had in years. Return a lot of experience. They also will run the spread, they did that a lot the second half of last season. Their QB CJ Myers has a cannon and will be one of the best passing quarterbacks in the state.

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

2010 WEEKLY SCHEDULE for MVL and Zanesville

WEEK 1 (Aug. 27)
Berne Union @ Crooksville
Barnesville @ John Glenn
Collinwood @ Maysville
Marietta @ Morgan
New Lexington @ Fairfield Union
Philo @ Licking Heights
Lakewood @ Sheridan
Tri-Valley @ Upper Arlington
West Muskingum @ RiverView
Zanesville @ Newark

WEEK 2 (Sept. 3)
Crooksville @ Philo
John Glenn @ New Lexington
Maysville @ Tri-Valley
Sheridan @ West Muskingum
Morgan @ Warren Local
Licking Valley @ Zanesville

WEEK 3 (Sept. 10)
John Glenn @ Sheridan
Maysville @ Morgan
New Lexington @ Philo
Tri-Valley @ West Muskingum
Crooksville @ Miller
New Philadelphia @ Zanesville

WEEK 4 (Sept. 17)
Morgan @ Crooksville
Philo @ John Glenn
Sheridan @ Maysville
West Muskingum @ New Lexington
Dover @ Tri-Valley
East Liverpoll @ Zanesville

WEEK 5 (Sept. 24)
West Muskingum @ Crooksville
John Glenn @ Morgan
Philo @ Maysville
New Lexington @ Tri-Valley
Sheridan @ Cambridge
Zanesville @ John Marshall (WV)

WEEK 6 (Oct. 1)
Crooksville @ John Glenn
Maysville @ West Muskingum
Morgan @ Sheridan
Tri-Valley @ Philo
Meadowbrook @ New Lexington
Hillsboro @ Zanesville

WEEK 7 (Oct. 8 )
Tri-Valley @ Crooksville
West Muskingum @ John Glenn
New Lexington @ Morgan
Philo @ Sheridan
Maysville @ Coshocton
Zanesville vs. Wheeling Park (WV)

WEEK 8 (Oct. 15)
Crooksville @ New Lexington
John Glenn @ Maysville
Morgan @ West Muskingum
Sheridan @ Tri-Valley
RiverView @ Philo
Logan @ Zanesville

WEEK 9 (Oct. 22)
Sheridan @ Crooksville
Maysville @ New Lexington
Morgan @ Tri-Valley
West Muskingum @ Philo
John Glenn @ New Philadelphia
Marietta @ Zanesville

WEEK 10 (Oct. 29)
Crooksville @ Maysville
Tri-Valley @ John Glenn
Philo @ Morgan
New Lexington @ Sheridan
Claymont @ West Muskingum
Zanesville @ Western Brown

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

Realistically, Tri-Valley or Sheridan will win the league in 2010. Maysville and John Glenn should also be pretty good. My pick is Tri-Valley. I would not be surprised to see them win 2 or 3 league titles in a row.

DRIFTER
Freshman Team

Post by DRIFTER »

I agree with t1c2, Tri Valley has the Sheridan game at home and that could be the difference maker. Sheridan has lost some studs the past two years and although I agree with new lex/ sheridan that they will be very talented again next year, I dont think they will be close to as talented as the 2004 team and certainly not the 2008 AP State Title Team. Talented yes, but certainly not the most talented in years. Sheridan lost I believe 7 starters on offense and 7 or 8 on defense. Tri Valley also filling some big holes from graduation as well. Dont know too much about the Sheridan QB, but have heard he is a keeper. To be one of the best passing QB'S in the state Culver will need to change his game totally. The kid will not get the throws with running the ball 70-80% of the time. Picking up a team like Lakewood will certainly help Sheridan with their overall record but still see them losing one or two games this year. Dont know about experienced with alot of kids seeing real varsity time for the first time as Seniors and quite a few with only one year of real varsity time. Sheridans 2004 and 2008 Great teams had many kids with 3 years of starting varsity games, that is huge and a big reason they were so good. Sheridan is Sheridan and will always be tough but I think they will have some close games this year and I would not look past John Glenn in league play as well.

newlex/sheridan
Varsity

Post by newlex/sheridan »

The 2004 team was a more talented team then the 2008 version top to bottom. Both were outstanding though. You obviously didn't watch Sheridan much last year if you think they won't throw the ball. Coach Culver has shown in the past with qbs who could get the job done consistantly that he would throw the football. Myers has a big time arm and he has two outstanding returning recievers next season. Tri-Valley will be solid, my pick for the second spot, but losing Cameron is going to really hurt them. This is what Sheridan returns next season:
Offense:
qb-CJ Myers-6'3-180-Sr.
fb-Troy Sweeney-6'2-190-Sr.
tb-Drew Vanwinkle-5'9-165-jr OR Mitchell Fouch-5'9-165-jr OR Connor Smith-5'9-160-So
te-Zach George-6'3-200-Sr (could also see sweeney or horsley here at times)
slot-Jacob Horsley-6'4-210-JR
split-Anthony Crane-6'2-185-Sr
C-Seth Helser-5'10-220-Jr
G-Brandon Sigler-5'10-210-Sr
G-Nate Brown-6'0-205-Sr or Tate Leavitt-6'6-240-So (lone up for grabs spot on the line)
T-Josh Busby-6'6-260-Sr
T-Josh Tolliver-6'3-230-Sr

defense:
NG-Brandon Sigler
DE-Josh Busby
DE-Tyler Snider-6'4-235-Sr
Mike-Troy Sweeney
Sam-Dalton McGlaughlin-5'11-210-Jr
Will-Nick Alspauch-6'2-190-Jr
Corner-Anthony Crane
Corner-Zane Shumar-5'10-165-Jr or Mitchell Fouch
Free-Jaytee Ellars-5'10-175-Sr or CJ Myers or Drew Murray-6'0-175-Jr
General (Flat Defender)-Drew VanWinkle
General (Flat Defender)-Zach George

Virtually all of these kids lettered and were key contributors on last years 8-2 team. You have depth at the majority of the positions. The unknowns offensively are one line position and tailback. Each has very talented younger players ready to step in. Our line, qb, fb and wideouts are all outstanding athletes who are proven. The offense will be very good. Defensively, replacing Drew Carpenter at nose is not going to happen but we have several to throw in there. Two of our three linebackers are going to be first year starters but the other is as good a player as you will find anywhere. Replacing tyler cremeans in the flat defender position will be tough but vanwinkle reminds you a lot of him and will be fine. This team is going to be very very good. Culver will make sure of that. I see the rest of the league shaking out like this:
2.Tri-Valley-Buttermore is a good coach with talented younger kids, replacing Cameron who was the difference between them being 9-1 and 4-6 will be too much. Look out the following year though.
3.John Glenn-Leagues best athlete at qb (heagen) and one of its best backers (crawford). They will bounce back.
4. Maysville-coming off a banner (for them) 6-4 season in which they were very young. Expect them to compete in the top four, could place higher.
5. New Lex-Played a lot of young kids in down year. Will be better but not sure how much. Rest of league is terrible, won't finish lower then here.
6. Crooksville-Great coach, some experience, lost a solid sr class. Could flip with philo.
7. Philo-New coach, new system, young last yr but lost qb who transfered to TV.
8. Morgan-Good qb and thats about it.
9. West M.- Lost everything except Don Glick (DE) who is a freak. could flip with Morgan.

This is how I see the MVL playing out this season. I think Sheridan goes 10-0 and makes the playoffs, TV will be 7-3 (losses to SHS, UA, Dover) and out in D2. John Glenn and Maysville will duke it out for a potential D3 region 11 spot and a one and done against someone like Stueby, Sheridan, or Dover. Now that basketball is over, I can't wait until the fall.

DRIFTER
Freshman Team

Post by DRIFTER »

i hope you are spot on new lex/ sheridan, i would love to see culver have another 10-0 season. i beleive he has 4 or 5 in his great tenure. my point to the qb was that most rankings are based on statistics and to be ranked with the" best in the state" you are going to have to put the ball up a bunch. i watched most of the games last year that the inlaws recorded, and yes, culver threw a little more, but enough to have a qb ranked with the best in the state? as far as the comparrisons to the great teams sheridan has had whether it be the 1987, 2004 or the 2008 great teams, you will always have different opinions. the mvl was very , very strong and loaded with talent in 2008 and was not in 2004.

we were discussing this topic at the inlaws easter and most felt that the 2008 was the most talented team top to bottom with the 2004 team being the tougher, tighter group of kids. both outstanding football teams you only have come around very seldom. with sheridans easy schedule and the mvl still not as strong as past years this year, sheridan could run the table. good luck and again, hope you are spot on with your prediction.

Generals_85
Waterboy

Post by Generals_85 »

1. Sheridan 10 - 0 (We return a lot. This could be a very very very dangerous generals team with CJ Myers coming out of the gun).

2. John Glenn 8-2 (Muskies will be back in the playoff hunt. Heagan is tough at qb).

3. Maysville 7-3 ( I know I know I know. Panthers finished 6-4 in 2009. They return a lot of key players off of that team).

4. TV 6-4 (Scotties will be competative in each game, but will not have the depth or Clay to win it this year).

5. C-ville 5-5 (Lost a lot, but have a great coach).

6. NL 5-5 (Two years in a row now that NL can't get it going.)

7. Morgan 3-7

8. West M 3-7

9. Philo 2-8

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

If you ever want to know what is going on in MVL land, check the link below.

http://muskingumvalleyleagueforum.yuku.com/

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Sheridan with Coach Culver will win this year. I've been in and around the program for a few games the past few years and it's just amazing to me the accomplishments that are made with the cornfield kids he coaches. Excellent coach and remarkable judge of talent usage as he gets the most out of those kids.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

FANOSPORTS wrote:Sheridan with Coach Culver will win this year. I've been in and around the program for a few games the past few years and it's just amazing to me the accomplishments that are made with the cornfield kids he coaches. Excellent coach and remarkable judge of talent usage as he gets the most out of those kids.

Yea cause those kids don't have any real talent! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Go back and read that see how it dounds when you read it out loud.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

24 days!!!

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Orange and Brown wrote:
FANOSPORTS wrote:Sheridan with Coach Culver will win this year. I've been in and around the program for a few games the past few years and it's just amazing to me the accomplishments that are made with the cornfield kids he coaches. Excellent coach and remarkable judge of talent usage as he gets the most out of those kids.

Yea cause those kids don't have any real talent! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Go back and read that see how it dounds when you read it out loud.
Hey O & B, if you could read between the lines what I'm saying is that he puts all the kids, year in and year out in the right positions for them to succeed and for the team to be successful (unlike a lot of coaches who have kids in positions they don't belong for different reasons) and he (Culver) is a great assessor of what talent he has, position by position. And no, he never has the greatest talent but has instilled a winning attitude at that school with those kids over the years and they've beaten a lot of teams with better athletes that didn't have the team cohesion and schemes his teams do. Hall of Fame coach, period. Your N-Y Buckeyes have won a lot of games in the last 20 years or so but hardly ever beat the teams they're not supposed to, i.e. "Playoff games".

DRIFTER
Freshman Team

Post by DRIFTER »

Coach Culver a Hall of Fame Coach? NO DOUBT, that is a no brainer. But make no mistake about it, he has all kinds of talent to work with every year. I get so tired of the talk about the " slow white farm boys" not as athletic ect. Every year I watch them play they are loaded with athletic kids, they have had some of the fastest kids I have seen, and always seem to have the 6-4- 6-5 275- 300 lb lineman every year. Yes he is a GREAT Coach and no doubt gets the most out of his players but there is no shortage of talent, speed, or athletisism at Sheridan.

Return to “Football”