SOC 2 2010

Who wins in 2010?

Total votes: 0

FarAwayFalcon
Varsity

Re: SOC 2 2010

Post by FarAwayFalcon »

RogueWarrior1965 wrote:
This will be one of Minford's biggest graduation losses in a long time but I think there are kids that can step up.....they just need to do it.

Minford has lost between 12 and 14 seniors for I think this will make the 3rd year in a row. They know how to plug people into positions and move along just fine. Every year people tell them that they won't be as good as last year or will struggle to replace such and such and for the past 3 years they have competed for the SOC and won it once, and made the playoffs all three years. Yes there are some losses that will need to be filled, but I'm confident that the boys will step up and the coaches will have them prepared to compete for the league and more again. The weightroom has had a good showing so far from what I've been told, the guys have bought into the system and it's working. I'm looking forward to another good year in Falcon Land.

RogueWarrior1965
Varsity

Post by RogueWarrior1965 »

IRONFALCON wrote:
RogueWarrior1965 wrote:
This will be one of Minford's biggest graduation losses in a long time but I think there are kids that can step up.....they just need to do it.

Minford has lost between 12 and 14 seniors for I think this will make the 3rd year in a row. They know how to plug people into positions and move along just fine. Every year people tell them that they won't be as good as last year or will struggle The weightroom has had a good showing so far from what I've been told, the guys have bought into the system and it's working. I'm looking forward to another good year in Falcon Land.

I didn't and won't say they won't be as good. They may even be better. Time will tell. Strength and experience wise, there is as big a void as there ever has been, if not more so, this year and that cannot be denied. HOWEVER, there are solid numbers that can fill those voids BUT they have to start working now to become bigger, faster, and stronger (a cliche' I know). There will be several seniors and juniors that will be 1st year starters and they should be hungry now that they have their shot.

I look for the SOC to be balanced again next year with Minford, West, and Valley being the front runners. You can never count out Wheelersburg just based on their tradition but they lost a ton of talent too.

MinnyAckMack10
Freshman Team

Post by MinnyAckMack10 »

one benefit i see the the 2010 falcons having is that the team/program finally knows how it feels to win 8+ games year in and year out and competing every year for the SOCII crown... that doesn't necessarily mean they will win the SOC but it definitely means that they will be right there in the mix... im sure we've all said and most of you have heard it, this isn't the same old minford falcons! theres a great tradition thats set in stone... i just hope its another great, exciting, and most importantly fun 2010 season ahead for all teams.. GO FALCONS

falconater
Freshman Team

Post by falconater »

I agree with everything above.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

RogueWarrior1965 wrote:
IRONFALCON wrote:
RogueWarrior1965 wrote:

Minford has lost between 12 and 14 seniors for I think this will make the 3rd year in a row. They know how to plug people into positions and move along just fine. Every year people tell them that they won't be as good as last year or will struggle The weightroom has had a good showing so far from what I've been told, the guys have bought into the system and it's working. I'm looking forward to another good year in Falcon Land.

I didn't and won't say they won't be as good. They may even be better. Time will tell. Strength and experience wise, there is as big a void as there ever has been, if not more so, this year and that cannot be denied. HOWEVER, there are solid numbers that can fill those voids BUT they have to start working now to become bigger, faster, and stronger (a cliche' I know). There will be several seniors and juniors that will be 1st year starters and they should be hungry now that they have their shot.

I look for the SOC to be balanced again next year with Minford, West, and Valley being the front runners. [color=#BFFF40]You can never count out Wheelersburg just based on their tradition but they lost a ton of talent too.
[/color]

Burg should not be counted out next year. Next 2 years yes, they will probably struggle, but Burg next year will be good, not as fast, but very good. A lot of good Juniors and skilled soph. did not play that much. Burg should return 15 seniors next year if they all play.

Mikenmike
JV Team

Post by Mikenmike »

RogueWarrior1965 wrote:
IRONFALCON wrote:
RogueWarrior1965 wrote:

I look for the SOC to be balanced again next year with Minford, West, and Valley being the front runners. You can never count out Wheelersburg just based on their tradition but they lost a ton of talent too.

What seniors or juniors are first year starters that you are talking about? For the most part the seniors are going to be in their 2nd or 3rd year starting and there are some juniors that will be in their 2nd year of starting.

RogueWarrior1965
Varsity

Post by RogueWarrior1965 »

mikenmike wrote:What seniors or juniors are first year starters that you are talking about? For the most part the seniors are going to be in their 2nd or 3rd year starting and there are some juniors that will be in their 2nd year of starting.

There will only be 3 returning starters on offense (2- two year starters and 1-1 year starter), so no for the most part the seniors won't be 2 and 3 year starters. There will be new starters at QB, L Wing, R Wing, WR, TE, Center, Guard, and Tackle. As I said, I certainly think there are kids that can step up.....they just need to do it. It will be interesting to see who steps into each of these positions. Some are almost a given, but others will be wide open.

On defense, there will be a new starting nose, tackle, end, 2 safeties, and a corner. On the plus side, all the linebackers are returning and I look for them to dominate and Butcher will be back on the corner.

The bottom line AGAIN, is the work starts now. Hopefully the guys that are playing basketball are finding a way to lift. Minford has won 3 SOCs this decade, made the playoffs 3 years in a row (5 times total this decade), and are 25-5 under Daniels so I expect they will field a very good team in 2010.

Mikenmike
JV Team

Post by Mikenmike »

I meant starting on either side of the ball for the most part everyone that will be playing has already had a year under their belt at least.So YES most of the guys will be 2nd or 3rd year starters. Also both piquet and butcher return at the corner spots. On O the Rb's this year will be better then this years group with the wings being Gaines and Piquet and with Slone returning at FB. The OL spots will be the ones that are missed the most but like you said their is players there that have the ability to fill in they just have to get in the weight room and get bigger and stronger.

falcon1
Varsity

Post by falcon1 »

mikenmike wrote:I meant starting on either side of the ball for the most part everyone that will be playing has already had a year under their belt at least.So YES most of the guys will be 2nd or 3rd year starters. Also both piquet and butcher return at the corner spots. On O the Rb's this year will be better then this years group with the wings being Gaines and Piquet and with Slone returning at FB. The OL spots will be the ones that are missed the most but like you said their is players there that have the ability to fill in they just have to get in the weight room and get bigger and stronger.

Did you go to all the games this year ?
Replacing Ray Ray, and Brandon will not be easy as far a RB`s go.

Black@Orange
Freshman Team

Post by Black@Orange »

It will be hard Minford. You lose alot of experience, that is very hard to replace. I know you have talent returning in your system. I think the SOC runs in cycles. Young inexperienced, young experienced, and matured experienced. I think that Valley, and West will be the more experienced teams. But you can't count out Burg or Minford. I don't know if it is Coach Bradford's program, or Coach Parks being on the basketball staff. But the basketball team is in the weight room. (might explain their shooting). But it should help in Coach Triplett in the fall.

Mikenmike
JV Team

Post by Mikenmike »

Redman wrote:
mikenmike wrote:I meant starting on either side of the ball for the most part everyone that will be playing has already had a year under their belt at least.So YES most of the guys will be 2nd or 3rd year starters. Also both piquet and butcher return at the corner spots. On O the Rb's this year will be better then this years group with the wings being Gaines and Piquet and with Slone returning at FB. The OL spots will be the ones that are missed the most but like you said their is players there that have the ability to fill in they just have to get in the weight room and get bigger and stronger.

Did you go to all the games this year ?
Replacing Ray Ray, and Brandon will not be easy as far a RB`s go.

Yes I was at every game besides the RV, Huntington ross, and NW games. Ray and Brandon were both good players and will be missed. With no disrespect to either player. Brandon could not play at 100% for the entire season he played with a bum shoulder (notice he did not play on D as much this season as the past 2) and Ray was a very good player but imo Gaines is better. Ray and Brandon both deserved to play because they had already proved themselves and they were seniors. So IMO Piquet>McCormick(with bum shoulder) and Gaines>Bryan. Like I said though thats no disrespect to either player because they will be missed.

falcon1
Varsity

Post by falcon1 »

Black@Orange wrote:It will be hard Minford. You lose alot of experience, that is very hard to replace. I know you have talent returning in your system. I think the SOC runs in cycles. Young inexperienced, young experienced, and matured experienced. I think that Valley, and West will be the more experienced teams. But you can't count out Burg or Minford. I don't know if it is Coach Bradford's program, or Coach Parks being on the basketball staff. But the basketball team is in the weight room. (might explain their shooting). But it should help in Coach Triplett in the fall.

I believe West will be the team to contend for the SOC. Levi will have had a year`s experience at QB, and will make belivers out of a lot of teams this year. Leave Mr T alone, and West will build a good system.
Minford does loose a lot this year. Replacing the O/line will be the question. I know we have good backs coming up, but the running styles of the 2 mentioned backs, for next year, are completly different.

west siders
All State

Post by west siders »

Black@Orange wrote:It will be hard Minford. You lose alot of experience, that is very hard to replace. I know you have talent returning in your system. I think the SOC runs in cycles. Young inexperienced, young experienced, and matured experienced. I think that Valley, and West will be the more experienced teams. But you can't count out Burg or Minford. I don't know if it is Coach Bradford's program, or Coach Parks being on the basketball staff. But the basketball team is in the weight room. (might explain their shooting). But it should help in Coach Triplett in the fall.

Minford will be in the same position West was in this year. Lost a lot of experience but has a lot of young talent returning.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

west siders wrote:

Minford will be in the same position West was in this year. Lost a lot of experience but has a lot of young talent returning.

I agree with this, and playing with a young team is kind of a gamble, West was two extra points from beating Portsmouth, and let the game slip through their hands at Valley...so they were two plays away from being 8-2 and a playoff team...Minford will be the same way, they will have their moments, good and bad...A young team is very frustrating to coach for a few reasons, one because a lot of people have the mentality "Oh well, we will be better next year" and if you are coach that is used to coaching an old team, like Daniels, you are used to being able to open up the offense and defense and put new packages and plays almost every week, with a young team that is very hard to do...Also for the fans its frustrating to watch sometimes, but all you can do is support them

Orange_N_Black_Fan
Riding the Bench

Post by Orange_N_Black_Fan »

Out of the last year and a half of reading the comments on here I've noticed that alot of the burg posters and others in general don't really know much about Burg's football program and the under rated talent it has to offer. It seems before they ever play a down in 2010 that the skilled positions are already a given to players that have not proven themselves. As to the players that proved their self this year didn't get a chance. How can anyone put Whitley in at QB when he hasn't had more than two or three games at the position in last two years successfully? I think the Shears boy isn't getting enough credit, he came in and closed out the freshman year, he was QB for all but the first game for JV and he has QB three of the last four years in the program and continues to improve. He's tough, has an arm without throwing interceptions and knows how to take hits. In practice I saw him throw the ball 60-65 yds in the air with confidence and he can run once outside the pocket, he doesn't force bad throws. Whitley is fast and is a great kid, nothing bad to him I just feel he can do more damage at the WR and RB positions along with Shank. I also feel that Luster and Culver didn't get enough playing time this year. I think Luster would be a good fit at FB and Culver at LB in the middle. Anybody going up against Culver next year is going to eat his cookies twice. With all this being said before you think somebody fits somewhere you should have taken time to catch a few JV games you would have been better informed on the upcoming talent.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

I don't think I will pick the burg to win the SOC in the near future. First if they couldn't win it last yr with all the talent they had I can't see them winning it in 2010. The burg will have a huge drop off in talent in 2011 and the 2012 Seniors to be might have made up the worst freshman team I have ever seen at the burg.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

fbnut wrote:I don't think I will pick the burg to win the SOC in the near future. First if they couldn't win it last yr with all the talent they had I can't see them winning it in 2010. The burg will have a huge drop off in talent in 2011 and the 2012 Seniors to be might have made up the worst freshman team I have ever seen at the burg.

Next year they will contend and after that they probably will struggle for a couple of years. This years freshman team had three of their best players not play and their QB was out most of the season, but I don't put much stock in Fresh and JV games, to me they are just glorified scrimmages.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

wobycat wrote:
fbnut wrote:I don't think I will pick the burg to win the SOC in the near future. First if they couldn't win it last yr with all the talent they had I can't see them winning it in 2010. The burg will have a huge drop off in talent in 2011 and the 2012 Seniors to be might have made up the worst freshman team I have ever seen at the burg.

Next year they will contend and after that they probably will struggle for a couple of years. This years freshman team had three of their best players not play and their QB was out most of the season, but I don't put much stock in Fresh and JV games, to me they are just glorified scrimmages.

I agree they will be good and contend but like I said above if you couldn't win it with all the talent on last yrs team I can't see them winning with next yrs talent. A former burg coach once told me as a coach you can handle 1 class than is not that talented but 2 classes back to back that lack talent will kill you. That is what it looks like for the burg in 2011.

west siders
All State

Post by west siders »

fbnut wrote:
wobycat wrote:

I agree they will be good and contend but like I said above if you couldn't win it with all the talent on last yrs team I can't see them winning with next yrs talent. A former burg coach once told me as a coach you can handle 1 class than is not that talented but 2 classes back to back that lack talent will kill you. That is what it looks like for the burg in 2011.

2013 also is not very good for Wheelersburg. They will have to persuade some of the west and minford kids to come play for them in order to win the SOC in 2012-2013 seasons.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

Next year they will contend and after that they probably will struggle for a couple of years. This years freshman team had three of their best players not play and their QB was out most of the season, but I don't put much stock in Fresh and JV games, to me they are just glorified scrimmages.[/quote]

I agree they will be good and contend but like I said above if you couldn't win it with all the talent on last yrs team I can't see them winning with next yrs talent. A former burg coach once told me as a coach you can handle 1 class than is not that talented but 2 classes back to back that lack talent will kill you. That is what it looks like for the burg in 2011.[/quote]

2013 also is not very good for Wheelersburg. They will have to persuade some of the west and minford kids to come play for them in order to win the SOC in 2012-2013 seasons.[/quote]

This is coming from a former West player, Burg will be good, Burg will contend, even the years that they are down they still contend...They will have winning records and continue to produce good football players, and a lot of successful individuals...However, the gap has been bridged, West is catching up, Minford is catching up, and Valley is catching up...its not like it was in the 1990's when Burg was heads and tails above everyone, even though now they might not string together consectutive championships, but they will be good

Return to “Football”