SEOAL 2010

Who wins in 2010?

Total votes: 0

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Re: SEOAL 2010

Post by 1987chieftains »

Trojan_FB_Alum you were out sun tanning today weren't you. :12224 don't lie. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Trojan_FB_Alum wrote:
Wrestler87 wrote:6 titles are due to depth
More schools play basketball then football, yet they only have 4 divisions. There is more depth in basketball yet fewer divisions.

Sorry this is a little late, but I just thought of it.

This has ran through my head too

TheDarkKnight
Freshman Team

Post by TheDarkKnight »

I'll taken Logan winning the SEOAL. :arrow: :mrgreen: :122246

loganphan
Riding the Bench

Post by loganphan »

Logans at the top until another team knocks them off !
even with all we've lost, i still think this coming years squad will still throw together a league championship and possibly home playoff game !

wrestler87
Freshman Team

Post by wrestler87 »

Trojan_FB_Alum wrote:
Wrestler87 wrote:6 titles are due to depth
More schools play basketball then football, yet they only have 4 divisions. There is more depth in basketball yet fewer divisions.

Sorry this is a little late, but I just thought of it.

Probably because 11 players require more depth and are affected more than only needing 5 players?

wrestler87
Freshman Team

Post by wrestler87 »

Oh, 22 if platooning, and that's w/o subs. A good D-4/(D-6 size) B-Ball school could put together 6-8 decent players a lot better than 20+ FB players. Makes sense to me. More teams, but also slightly less affected by size.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Maybe I misunderstood by what you meant by depth. I thought you meant that the 6 divisions were due to the depth i.e. number of teams that play football.

I agree that football is obviously more affected by enrollment then other sports. That is because as you stated it is harder to fill 22 starting positions opposed to 5.

This all just goes to prove why Logan does so well in football. With the highest enrollment in the SEOAL they have it easier filling the 22 spots. Where as in basketball only having to fill 5 spots makes it easier for the other teams to find 5 quality starters.

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

exactly.
With a bigger pool of athletes to choose from,the advantage is huge. For instance a young man playing jv or even freshmen at a school such as Logan,could possibly move into a School such as Sciotoville Community and play every down on Friday night.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

i agree that we have a larger pool BUT, that is only b/c we are a 1 county school district. i also agree some of the some 2nd and 3rd stringers would shine in other programs. i also think alot of this is do to the current/passed classes talent. your going to fill a fb position with the best player. even if he plays both ways.
and just remember just b/c your district is big doesn't mean you should win every game.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

I agree that you’re going to start the best athlete even if it means they will play both sides, but you have a better chance of having top level athletes when you have a larger enrollment. With the larger enrollment it also means that you have more quality backups that you are going to utilize to sub to keep the starter fresh. Meaning in the 4th quarter your top guys are fresher then the smaller schools who don’t have the luxury of subbing in quality backups.
I also agree that just because your school is big doesn’t mean you should win every game. As I stated earlier there are many other important factors. It however cannot be argued that larger schools have an advantage over smaller ones.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

oh yes. without a doubt.

wrestler87
Freshman Team

Post by wrestler87 »

One of those factors works against Logan. As spread as the system is, it is more difficult for some to participate, get rides etc. and even requires a little more time than smaller districts or Those of the same size which are more densely populated. I don't know what that difference is, but I'm sure it has affected some.
I would believe Morgan or Vinton Schools aren't as strong as they could be for the same reason.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

I agree, school districts that cover a large area are affected by it. Most of these districts that cover large areas are county schools that do not have to deal with some of the problems that your average city school has to deal with, such as diversity amongst the student body, and simply more none school related actives available to them (both good and bad activities). This however isn’t the case for many private schools, and even several suburban districts that either have students that are able to easily attend practices, and are less divers and often more committed group of athletes.

To me districts breakdown into a few different categories.

Large county school, large district spread out. Examples are
Logan, Vinton County, McDermott Northwest

City Schools, many different social, racial, and economic groups characterize this segment. Examples
Portsmouth, Ironton, Chillicothe

Private /Suburbs/ Small County – Made up of predominately affluent students from families that are involved in their children’s education and supportive of their endeavors.

Examples Dublin Scioto, St Iggy, Wheelersburg

To me these are the 3 basic different types of schools there are. This is not comprehensive however because there are schools like Minford that would be a small county school, but also relate to some of the same problems as the large county schools. You also have a school like Waverly, that is probably somewhere in between city, and small county.

My point is that every school has its own unique problems that they must deal with, however to me it seems that the Private/Suburb/Small County group has the fewest to deal with. I think the problems that the large county schools, and city schools face, are obviously different but are about equal.
Basically to me it seems like the only significant factor is that of enrollment.

loganphan
Riding the Bench

Post by loganphan »

Well said

datchillicav
JV Team

Post by datchillicav »

The only actual "city" schools in the SE district are Chillicothe and Portsmouth. The rest are mixed between a small town and rural or are a completely rural district. IMO the super spread out districts like VC have a lot of logistical problems(transportation, etc.) but the more city schools have a lot more problems to deal with as far as distractions(other opportunities, drugs, non school activities.) The smaller county districts probably have it the easiest as far as outside problems go. Of course, economics, facilities, supportand commitment have probably the biggest impacts on success other than enrollment.

wrestler87
Freshman Team

Post by wrestler87 »

Now we're talking the point I didn't make so clearly before. My bad. Although the County Districts (All 3 lol) have income/unemployment problems which at least equal the Also existent drug/etc. problems in both areas. There is no other way to make a more "fair" division, so we all have what we have. All D-2 or D-4 schools aren't created equal. We can only hope to play the best we hope to compete with and get the points. Leagues aren't always the best for any individual school every year, but as a whole a strong league is good IMO. Right now, it seems the SEOAL is a bit down, and in some years past the up and coming Logan team might not have the strongest hopes for a championship. There are surprise teams in H.S. every year. That's what makes it exciting! :)
Just the same, Logan becomes Nelsonville in 8 miles, Logan Elm to the south, Berne Union-then Lancaster to the West * my edit!, and Fairfield Union and New Lex to the North. How far we stretch is up to the imagination. Hehe.
If Logan were separated into D-5/D-6, it could be Logan City, total pop. of around 7,000. D-6, East Hocking Co. Almost the same, and West Hocking D-5/6. Never happening, but would be interesting to see how they competed in the TVC with similar size. (Just a thought)
Happy discussions. This is one of the more thought stimulating threads.
Last edited by wrestler87 on Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

fwiw. yes bigger schools have more students to choose from but usually they have more programs to offer which spreads out athletes. ie(lacrosse, swimming, diving, gymnastics) not to mention more extracirriculars(sp?).

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

To the point earlier, I'd question if Portsmouth really needs two high schools? Maybe one time in the past when the city was larger, but Portsmouth could have all of its students go to one high school with the a little less than 21,000 people in the city. Portsmouth is a little smaller than Chillicothe and a lot smaller than Lancaster, both one school cities.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

bman wrote:To the point earlier, I'd question if Portsmouth really needs two high schools? Maybe one time in the past when the city was larger, but Portsmouth could have all of its students go to one high school with the a little less than 21,000 people in the city. Portsmouth is a little smaller than Chillicothe and a lot smaller than Lancaster, both one school cities.

Portsmouth city school district does only have one high school, as they closed Portsmouth East a few years ago( this means that the PCSD goes from the Scioto River all the way to route 140) However it was taken over by that community and is now Sciotoville Community school. Portsmouth is also home to private school Portsmouth Notre Dame. In addition to that there is West, Northwest Valley, Minford, Wheelersburg, New Boston, South Webster, Clay, and Green all within Scioto County. That makes for a grand total of 12 high schools in Scioto County. To me that doesn't seem to make much sense for a county that only has a population of 79,195 as of the 2000 census.

Now we can digress back to the main subject matter that we have been discussing here. I still believe that although as Wrestler 87 said schools are not created equally, that it is still undeniable that D2 schools have an advantage over D4 schools due to their numbers, because as we have discussed they both have to deal with issues that although are different are pretty equal.

Last edited by Trojan_FB_Alum on Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

^ I thought Portsmouth West was part of the city school district. I stand corrected I guess.

Return to “Football”