JV Team

Re: New coach at Southern....

Post by I smell good »

But Wickline's from Southern he's gotta know how to coach............ :roll:

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

This thread kind of reminds me of David Byrne and the Talking Heads singing "Once in a Lifetime".

I keep hearing the chorus "Same as it ever was, same as it ever was, same as it ever was". :lol: :lol: :lol:

Baldeagle
Varsity

Post by Baldeagle »

Steely Dan wrote:This thread kind of reminds me of David Byrne and the Talking Heads singing "Once in a Lifetime".

I keep hearing the chorus "Same as it ever was, same as it ever was, same as it ever was". :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: Now :lol: that :lol: is :lol: funny :lol: ....

linedoeswork
Waterboy

Post by linedoeswork »

Wickline will do fine most would say ... just doesnt make sense if the Smith guy has been in the system for a few years and has collage experience , why he didnt get the job ...

PerfectionInPurple
Riding the Bench

Post by PerfectionInPurple »

All I'm sayin is we dont need know dang guy with college experience. Both Gaul and Bahr had college coaching experience and those guys couldnt do anything here. We need a hometown hero to bring us up to speed. Somebody who is in tune with the oldtimers and who knows want parents of our kids want. And finally someone who is in tune wit tthe reality of racine. I am glad to hear Wick dont calim to have to much knowledge about lifting cause we may actually be bale to get guys focussing on the gym in the summer again.

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

rainman wrote:
The big difference between Coach Tipton and Coach Witchline is that Dick has had several teams play in the state title game and he has even won it a few times. This is in contrast to thos almost champion banners hanging in racine's gym. What has Witchline done excpet be undefeated in JH ball?

Don't get me wrong coach Tipton is a great coach as matter of fact I told everyone when he came to Eastern that Eastern was lucky to have him and that he has built a successful program every where he has been. But what school did he finish as state champ or state runner-up. I know he was at Portsmouth west and an assistant at Ky. Christian University for a year. I know one year in the late 80's early 90's West or Wheelersbrug was runner up but I am thinking it was Wheelersbrug. Not saying it didn't just asking what year and what school.

Wheelersburg won the Division four State championship in 1989

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

s.v.vikinglinex2 wrote:I HEARD THE OFFER WAS ON THE TABLE. THOUGHT IT WAS FOR HEAD COACH BUT MAY HAVE BEEN FOR ASS.

Is that what they call the coaching position at Southern now? :lol:

linedoeswork
Waterboy

Post by linedoeswork »

How could you not want somone with collage experience and knows the game ... You cant build the program without someone with knowledge of the game in debth... Not saying Wickline doesnt have that just saying he could use more experience ...

clemente
Waterboy

Post by clemente »

Obviously no one at Southern understands the importance of how sports are portrayed to represent your school. Not only are wins and losses important at the varsity level, but most importantly is how you carry your program. The way your athletes/coaches act on/off the field goes a long way in building a respectable and competitive program. Coach Wickline understands how vital this is, and I am sure that he will run a program that is respectable and the people of Racine will be proud of. Just watching a few football games from the last few seasons has shown me that yes these kids could play a little bit, but at times were out of control. Coach Wickline will be a hands on guy who will not tolerate ignorance within his program from players or coaches.

clemente
Waterboy

Post by clemente »

Also just because you have college experience does not mean that you are equipped to be a head coach. Playing and coaching is two totally different things.

I smell good
JV Team

Post by I smell good »

What would make him more qualified at running a respectful program then Coach Smith?

linedoeswork
Waterboy

Post by linedoeswork »

Also just because you have college experience does not mean that you are equipped to be a head coach. Playing and coaching is two totally different things.

Agreed to a certin level ... How could it not help? It couldnt hurt having a little bit more experiene in the hands on department.. Im NOT against Wickline at all but Im just saying coach Smith sounds a little more qualified to the common person

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

And again, I reiterate.....

And you may ask yourself
How do I work this ?
And you may ask yourself
Where is that large automobile ?
And you may tell yourself
This is not my beautiful house !
And you may tell yourself
This is not my beautiful wife !
Letting the days go by/let the water hold me down
Letting the days go by/water flowing underground
Into the blue again/after the money's gone
Once in a lifetime/water flowing underground.

Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...
Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...
Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

old bird
Freshman Team

Post by old bird »

clemente wrote:Obviously no one at Southern understands the importance of how sports are portrayed to represent your school. Not only are wins and losses important at the varsity level, but most importantly is how you carry your program. The way your athletes/coaches act on/off the field goes a long way in building a respectable and competitive program. Coach Wickline understands how vital this is, and I am sure that he will run a program that is respectable and the people of Racine will be proud of. Just watching a few football games from the last few seasons has shown me that yes these kids could play a little bit, but at times were out of control. Coach Wickline will be a hands on guy who will not tolerate ignorance within his program from players or coaches.

athletes/coaches/ administration and elected school board members. I think that maybe the out of control kids were just acting like the out of control adults (which may have been worse than the kids).

Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

I smell good wrote:What would make him more qualified at running a respectful program then Coach Smith?

I am with you on this one. Coach Smith was an assistant at southern under a number of head coaches and is responsible for the development of the boobyblocking scheme that lead to a stellar running game every year in Racine.

Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

boogerred wrote:
s.v.vikinglinex2 wrote:I HEARD THE OFFER WAS ON THE TABLE. THOUGHT IT WAS FOR HEAD COACH BUT MAY HAVE BEEN FOR ASS.

Is that what they call the coaching position at Southern now? :lol:

If it is, Then TYSON BUCKLEY is the man for the job....at least thats what they say at Kyger Creek......

Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

clemente wrote:Obviously no one at Southern understands the importance of how sports are portrayed to represent your school. Not only are wins and losses important at the varsity level, but most importantly is how you carry your program. The way your athletes/coaches act on/off the field goes a long way in building a respectable and competitive program. Coach Wickline understands how vital this is, and I am sure that he will run a program that is respectable and the people of Racine will be proud of. Just watching a few football games from the last few seasons has shown me that yes these kids could play a little bit, but at times were out of control. Coach Wickline will be a hands on guy who will not tolerate ignorance within his program from players or coaches.

Is this the same guy who got on the radio as a player and said he wanted to beat Eastern as bad as he possibly could.....? SUPERDICK better watch out.

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

No matter who the coach is they need to keep that booby blocking technique that Southern has developed over the last decade +. Whoever was responsible for putting that in should get a chance to be the head coach. No other team has had the wherewithall to master that system of blocking for what ever reasons. If success is to continue, that part of the program needs to remain in place. :mrgreen:

Johnny Utah
Riding the Bench

Post by Johnny Utah »

Little off topic but is it confirmed that Meigs and Southern will get together in week 5 at Racine? The last word I got is that this is pretty much a done deal.

I smell good
JV Team

Post by I smell good »

Not going to happen week 5 or ever. They have 8 league games!

Return to “Football”