Wheelersburg Pirates 2010 season

4dfalcons
Freshman Team

Re: Wheelersburg Pirates 2010 season

Post by 4dfalcons »

No doubt that once Ed Miller took over in Burg that Burg has been the dominant SOC team. West has had plenty of conference championships. Waverly not many. I am just pointing out that in the last 10 years there has been a change in the SOC II to a competive league. This year going in I think 4 teams have a shot at the conference championship and the playoffs.

KVDW
SE

Post by KVDW »

according to wikipedia:

"Wheelersburg has captured more conference titles than all other member schools (Lucasville Valley, Minford, Portsmouth West, Scioto Northwest and Waverly) COMBINED."

and minford has FOUR ??? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

:aaaaa8 :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8

yes, i'd call that dominance.

now wonder even 85Inside from ironton "puffs his chest out".

4dfalcons
Freshman Team

Post by 4dfalcons »

Learn from the past, live for today and plan for the future.

StCRedDevils
Riding the Bench

Post by StCRedDevils »

Good Luck Wheelersburg from your friends up north!!!

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

4dfalcons wrote:4. A better question is how many conference championships does Burg have in the decade 2000 to 2009. Minford has 3. I don't expect that Burg will lose 7 games, but they have a very tough schedule. Oak Hill is much better than some posters above are saying.

That would be 4, still more than the Falcons. :-D

72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 78, 79, 80, 81, 83, 86, 87, 89, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 03, 04, 05, 07

4dfalcons
Freshman Team

Post by 4dfalcons »

I think that you proved my two points. Burg's rise to dominance started with Coach Miller. Burg has an excellent program but other SOC II teams have caught up.

eddie
JV Team

Post by eddie »

i watched the orange and black scrimmage sat. and the pirates seem to be pretty good with about 34 or 35 kids on the team. seen a lot of size , little bit of speed and a lot of hustle. someone said that alex shears was out for the scrimmage. couldnt really tell who was who with out any numbers except for shank. u could tell he was on the field. he was very smooth while running or catching the ball. all the backs hit the holes hard. there were a couple big physical/quick FB's. all in all i was impressed. another note---the freshman looked really good with about 20 on the team.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

4dfalcons wrote:I think that you proved my two points. Burg's rise to dominance started with Coach Miller. Burg has an excellent program but other SOC II teams have caught up.

Caught up??? Are you serious???

When another SOC II school has even half as many titles as the Pirates have then and only then can you even mention that they have made up ground, not caught up. The difference between the Burg and the other schools is the Pirates have a bad season every now and then while the rest of the confernece has a good season every now and then. The key is consistency and the Burg is the only school in the conference that can make that claim. Is there any other school in the conference that has won 3 or more consecutive titles in a row? Hell, the Pirates won every one of them in the 90's except for 1990.

SPAMONY
Varsity

Post by SPAMONY »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote:
4dfalcons wrote:I think that you proved my two points. Burg's rise to dominance started with Coach Miller. Burg has an excellent program but other SOC II teams have caught up.

Caught up??? Are you serious???

When another SOC II school has even half as many titles as the Pirates have then and only then can you even mention that they have made up ground, not caught up. The difference between the Burg and the other schools is the Pirates have a bad season every now and then while the rest of the confernece has a good season every now and then. The key is consistency and the Burg is the only school in the conference that can make that claim. Is there any other school in the conference that has won 3 or more consecutive titles in a row? Hell, the Pirates won every one of them in the 90's except for 1990.

77, I don't think anyone is trying to take anything away from the accomplishments of the Burg. Anyone with an IQ above 2 can see that the Burg has DOMINATED the SOC for decades. But, (this is an Ironton/Logan comment) Last century belonged to the Burg and so far this century that just is not the case. Now its early in the century and things could change very quickly but to say the rest of the league has not caught up with the Burg is narrow minded. Burg failed to win the title 6 times this deacade so thats Burg 4 SOC 6. The SOC now fields 3 or 4 playoff teams consistantly now. As far as any team every catching the Burg when it come to total league titles.....That will NEVER happen even if Burg quit playing!!!!!

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

How is it narrow minded when even though the Pirates have been down in this decade they still won more titles than any other school. They have 4, I think Minford has 3, West 2 (?), and Waverly 1 (?). So even though the Pirates have been down on talent this decade they still have more titles than any other school. That is just a fact. I stand by what I said, the Pirates have an occasional bad season while the rest of league has an occasional good season and wins a title every now and then. Come back in 2020 and if the Pirates haven't won at the majority of the titles in those 10 years then I will concede to you all that everyone else is finally catching up and equaling the Burgs success.

SPAMONY
Varsity

Post by SPAMONY »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote:How is it narrow minded when even though the Pirates have been down in this decade they still won more titles than any other school. They have 4, I think Minford has 3, West 2 (?), and Waverly 1 (?). So even though the Pirates have been down on talent this decade they still have more titles than any other school. That is just a fact. I stand by what I said, the Pirates have an occasional bad season while the rest of league has an occasional good season and wins a title every now and then. Come back in 2020 and if the Pirates haven't won at the majority of the titles in those 10 years then I will concede to you all that everyone else is finally catching up and equaling the Burgs success.

Really??????? So now a MAJORITY (by one title) is acceptable. when nothing less than total domination has always been accepted for 50 years. Dude you are making Burg Fans look like they are settling for slightly better than second place!!!!!!

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

When you consider the fact that it takes the Burg having really bad years during the first few years of the decade and yet they still won more titles than anyone else, then yeah, it's acceptable. They had their first losing season since I believe 1965 early in the decade and were really down for a couple of years and they still won 4 titles, 1 more than anyone else. I can accept that. Can you accept that Minford has a good year every now and then?

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote: Is there any other school in the conference that has won 3 or more consecutive titles in a row? Hell, the Pirates won every one of them in the 90's except for 1990.

Yes
West 2001,2002, 2003 (share)

West also 2008.

marshallman
Varsity

Post by marshallman »

Minford for the last 3 years has been 8-2, thats not every now and then like it use to be. I agree, everyone has caught up to the burg. It use to be embarrassing to even watch them play other SOC schools. 50-0 at the half during the 90's. I don't think the burg was so dominating in talent as much as the other schools were that bad in developing theirs. Now, every game is competitive except NW so far.
It's all about the feeder system and keeping the talent home.

val13
Freshman Team

Post by val13 »

marshallman wrote:Minford for the last 3 years has been 8-2, thats not every now and then like it use to be. I agree, everyone has caught up to the burg. It use to be embarrassing to even watch them play other SOC schools. 50-0 at the half during the 90's. I don't think the burg was so dominating in talent as much as the other schools were that bad in developing theirs. Now, every game is competitive except NW so far.
It's all about the feeder system and keeping the talent home.
Everyone has caught up to the burg?!?!?!?!?! Valley hasn't beaten them in 45+ years. But they havent played them each year for 45 years, but thats how long its actually been.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 78, 79, = 7 titles for the 70s

80, 81, 83, 86, 87, 89, = 6 titles for the 80's

91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, = 9 for the 90s

03, 04, 05, 07 = 4 for the 00s

I think what he's trying to say is the 00s have been the worse decade since the pre-1970s era (40 yrs.), and that burg peaked out in the 90s. The gap is much closer than it use to be.

I agree that it's not so much burg's had a bad run of talent this past decade, it's more other schools are better at developing theirs. This is Scioto Co., and it's all a rural area, so just because one individual is from one area doesn't automatically make them better than another who's from an area less that 20 minutes away, as hard work, effort, and discipline are still required to even hope to win.

Also, I know at lest one title in 03 was a 3 way tie (West, Minford, W'burg.) Actually, it's a good thing for all the programs the league is much more competitive than it once was. You'll be happy it is come playoff time. Also, It makes for good football games as fans we want our money's worth.

The thing I've noticed with Minford, is that during the 90's they only had 25-30 boys grades 9-12 out for football and they were a D-4 school. While Burg usually had 35-40 boys out grades 10-12. Now Minford has over 60 boys out and they dropped to a D-5 school. So it's strength in numbers.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Doesn't Minford count their freshman for their 60 total? If you add in Burgs freshman each year then they would 50 to 60 boys on the team.

SPAMONY
Varsity

Post by SPAMONY »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote:When you consider the fact that it takes the Burg having really bad years during the first few years of the decade and yet they still won more titles than anyone else, then yeah, it's acceptable. They had their first losing season since I believe 1965 early in the decade and were really down for a couple of years and they still won 4 titles, 1 more than anyone else. I can accept that. Can you accept that Minford has a good year every now and then?

Well since I am not a stat dork I was not aware that that the count is :

West= 3 solo 1 shared
Burg= 3 solo 1 shared
Minford= 2 solo 1 shared
Waverly= 1 solo

So now its not only caught....But EQUALLED this century

And yes I can accept Minfords yo yo ..... I from the BURG.....and open minded enough to see that the SOC is now finally a top notch conference

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

SPAMONY wrote:
Burg_Grad_77 wrote:When you consider the fact that it takes the Burg having really bad years during the first few years of the decade and yet they still won more titles than anyone else, then yeah, it's acceptable. They had their first losing season since I believe 1965 early in the decade and were really down for a couple of years and they still won 4 titles, 1 more than anyone else. I can accept that. Can you accept that Minford has a good year every now and then?

West= 3 solo 1 shared
Burg= 3 solo 1 shared
Minford= 2 solo 1 shared
Waverly= 1 solo

And yes I can accept Minfords yo yo ..... I from the BURG.....and open minded enough to see that the SOC is now finally a top notch conference

Never said the conference wasn't a top notch conference.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote:
SPAMONY wrote:

West= 3 solo 1 shared
Burg= 3 solo 1 shared
Minford= 2 solo 1 shared
Waverly= 1 solo

Never said the conference wasn't a top notch conference.

So, in order to be "a top notch conference," then a majority of said conference teams must be "top notch," correct? That would logically imply all teams are of equal talent and success.

So you've once again proved the point they were trying to make.

Return to “Football”