Wellston Job

Coach363
Freshman Team

Wellston Job

Post by Coach363 »

your all asking about the wellston job? inside info for ya.... A new weight room at the high school and the advance P.E Class is what Greg wants and needs.... Once the school board approves this P.E class and our local private individual pays for the new weight room greg phillips will be annoucned as the new coach.. Personally I've known greg for about 25 years and I know about the situation and whats going on in the Wellston School System... Its just a matter of process with the school board then everything will be final..The job has to be posted.... Its the LAW...Interviews will be done... Kinda like the Rooney Rule... And yes Oak Hill does have a great team returning and yes it will be hard for greg to leave but at the end of the day this is his DREAM JOB!!!He lives 1 mile from the stadium... Its a get fit for both...... GO Rockets

bobcatfan4728
Freshman Team

Re: Wellston Job

Post by bobcatfan4728 »

coach363 wrote:your all asking about the wellston job? inside info for ya.... A new weight room at the high school and the advance P.E Class is what Greg wants and needs.... Once the school board approves this P.E class and our local private individual pays for the new weight room greg phillips will be annoucned as the new coach.. Personally I've known greg for about 25 years and I know about the situation and whats going on in the Wellston School System... Its just a matter of process with the school board then everything will be final..The job has to be posted.... Its the LAW...Interviews will be done... Kinda like the Rooney Rule... And yes Oak Hill does have a great team returning and yes it will be hard for greg to leave but at the end of the day this is his DREAM JOB!!!He lives 1 mile from the stadium... Its a get fit for both...... GO Rockets

What has he done that he can put terms on his being hired?

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

coach363 wrote:your all asking about the wellston job? inside info for ya.... A new weight room at the high school and the advance P.E Class is what Greg wants and needs.... Once the school board approves this P.E class and our local private individual pays for the new weight room greg phillips will be annoucned as the new coach.. Personally I've known greg for about 25 years and I know about the situation and whats going on in the Wellston School System... Its just a matter of process with the school board then everything will be final..The job has to be posted.... Its the LAW...Interviews will be done... Kinda like the Rooney Rule... And yes Oak Hill does have a great team returning and yes it will be hard for greg to leave but at the end of the day this is his DREAM JOB!!!He lives 1 mile from the stadium... Its a get fit for both...... GO Rockets

Never thought I'd see these three words in the same paragraph. :lol:

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

Funny how I just talked to Coach Phillips and he said he hasn't even applied for the job.

How can someone get hired if they haven't applied?

Farmer Yoder
Freshman Team

Post by Farmer Yoder »

I hear they are going to go ahead and hire him and then hope he will agree to take it......

Run Bubba Run
Freshman Team

Post by Run Bubba Run »

Love your post Dundas!

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

If he doesn't apply for the job the others may have a grievance especially if someone within the district has applied.
If this is a dream job maybe they should contact Bill Cowher.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

I think this is more of a Lane Kiffin job farmer. lol

fortheathletz
Waterboy

Post by fortheathletz »

Wellston should consider and probably hire Coach Chris Hutchinson for this position. He has been a part of their program for many years minus the time that he spent playing at the Division 1 level. Many will say that being a great athlete doesnt make you a great coach.... probably true but this guy seems to be intellegent, know the game, have respect from the players, and have a burning desire for football.... Looks like a recipe for success. Have also heard from a couple of the kids parents that he has the ability to bring in a knowledgable staff. Food for thought.....

BytheNumbers
Waterboy

Post by BytheNumbers »

Does anyone know how the search is going for wellston? Number of applicants, names, etc? fortheathletz. . . Did Chris Hutchinson apply? I also heard that Greg Phillips has not applied.

fortheathletz
Waterboy

Post by fortheathletz »

I do not know if Coach Hutchinson has applied for sure, heard that he was going to last week and the deadline was Feb. 12th (last Fri). Hoping that he did, anyone knows for sure please post?....I also heard that Phillips did not

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

If I was Wellston here is would be my plan of action. Nobody sees Coach Phillips leaving Oak Hill this year. So I would hire Hutchinson tomorrow for the head coaching job. He is already in the weight room, he knows the kids, hes been around the program for awhile, he is a very mature and smart young man, he has played at a high level and knows the game, and maybe most important he love the blue and gold. Then if Coach Phillips is your ultimate goal, after football season is over, persue him hard to make the move to Wellston. Then make Hutch the offensive coordinator and if he does well this year, the head coach in waiting. You then will probably get the coach you wanted from the start and have a coach in waiting with a year of head coaching under his belt. Its almost March now, the worst thing you could do is bring in a new face and have what a few months to learn a whole new system. Its just that easy in my opinion.

BytheNumbers
Waterboy

Post by BytheNumbers »

I looked on the ohsaa site and it shows the application deadline being feb 19. Is Hutchinson a teacher?

Viking96. . . That sounds like a wild scenario that you posted. Why would you give someone the head coaching job and jerk it out from under them the next year? If he goes in and wins 7-10 games, do you still chase Phillips after the season? To be successful, you need to hire someone and let them coach for several years to build their program. Changing coaches every year or two doesn't seem to work out very well for most.

Fan_0
Waterboy

Post by Fan_0 »

Any new news on the job or acciplicants?

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

BytheNumbers wrote:I looked on the ohsaa site and it shows the application deadline being feb 19. Is Hutchinson a teacher?

Viking96. . . That sounds like a wild scenario that you posted. Why would you give someone the head coaching job and jerk it out from under them the next year? If he goes in and wins 7-10 games, do you still chase Phillips after the season? To be successful, you need to hire someone and let them coach for several years to build their program. Changing coaches every year or two doesn't seem to work out very well for most.

You have to be realistic...Wellston will not win 7-10 games next year...therefore this scenario could work...I dont however think Hutchinson would stay on the staff if he was moved from the Head Coaching slot...but if Wellston really wants Phillips...there at his mercy.

BytheNumbers
Waterboy

Post by BytheNumbers »

I agree. . . They very well may not win 7-10 games next year. That is why I said "IF". The possibility is always there. I don't think anyone in their right mind would continue coaching if they were asked to step aside after one year because the school found their "dream coach". Does anyone know for sure if Wellston is really drooling to get Phillips or if this is something a few are making too important? Nothing against him, but the way people are talking you would think that Wellston had the chance to resurrect Vince Lombardi and put him on the sideline.

Da Bears
Freshman Team

Post by Da Bears »

I in no way have a horse in this race. My thoughts . . . Phillips will not take this job. I think the alumni thing is on his mind. I found out last week that he coached there in the late 80's. Here is an alumni that coached there before and I am sure the Wellston faithful are playing on that. However, he has done a nice job at Oak Hill. They were like 7-23 in the 3 years before he got there. He has improved the team every year 3-7, 5-5, 7-3, and an 11-1 year this past. Basically the WHOLE team is back, they might be able to do that again! I coached hs football for 12 years and college ball for 3 and believe me, undefeated teams with playoff games don't just fall off trees!

Boss429
Waterboy

Post by Boss429 »

There is no way that the Wellston board will hire a coach for one year thinking that Coach Phillips will come next year. Let's just say they did, what makes anyone think Phillips would want to keep this guy as an assistant coach let alone offensive coordinator? I don't think anyone in Wellston is "drooling" to get Phillips to go there. Nor do I think they believe he is the next coming of Vince Lombardi. BUT, he is an alum, has 20 some years experience, has done a good job with the Oak Hill program, and if he did take the job, might not leave! I think the Wellston people would like to have one of there own as a coach. I know Chris Hutchinson is from there, and as one poster said, "bleeds blue and gold", but is very short on experience. Oh by the way, I too have heard that Coach Phillips has not applied for the job. Time will tell for the Rockets!

Boss429
Waterboy

Post by Boss429 »

Oh, bobcatfan4728, it is called supply and demand! Phillips has done a good job in Oak Hill, has 20 some years hs coaching experience, and is from Wellston (that is the supply). The demand is probably Wellston people would like to have an alum coaching their team. Maybe someone that understands things about their community and would stay there a long time. Wellston hasn't had a coach stay longer than five years since Jody Michael coached there in the 70's. Perfect situation for Wellston if they can pull it off!

BytheNumbers
Waterboy

Post by BytheNumbers »

Boss. . . I was thinking the same thing the other day about the length of stay of coaches at Wellston. Is there a reason most have only stayed a few years in recent history? Is it a stepping stone, a tough place to coach or some other reason?

If this is Coach Phillips' dream job, like one person stated, I think he would have applied because you never know when it will be open again. Maybe he really doesn't want to coach at wellston. I guess only time will tell.

Return to “Football”