TROJANS 2010?

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Re: TROJANS 2010?

Post by Bleeding Red »

Last 6 years:

32-40.........

Alot of talent in one door and out the other down there at PHS the past 6 years.......

And I honestly think that if 75% of coaches in the SOC II would have had that talent from 2000-2002, we wouldnt be talking about losing in the state semi's. We would be counting rings.

That is neither here nor there.

TFBA- what makes you think if PHS was allowed to play in the SOC II, they would keep playing the likes of Wilmington, Chilli, Ironton and Gallia? I think if they were voted in, we would see them playing the South Points and Fairlands. Just my opinion.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

mikenmike wrote:I have to agree with Trojan_FB_Alum on this one :122248 Not many coaches can even say they cost their team a state championship.

Considering the talent on that team, would they really want to?

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Your too funny mikenmike

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

You have no clue how other coaches would have done with our talent. The thing that you fail to realize is that we were playing against other extremely talented teams in each of those playoff loses. You don’t get that far unless you are really good. There are no cupcakes in regional championships.
I would to remind you how in 01 before the start of the season everyone talked about that PHS might be in trouble because all they have is Parker, and that they lost 4 out of 5 starters on the O-line, their TE, QB, and other RB (i.e. the school record holder in the 100 meter s at 10.2), that’s right Clifford had to replace 7 starters of the offence. The defense also lost the D3 defensive player of the Dustin Pendleton, their other DT, 2 LB, and a starting DB. Seems like Clifford did a pretty good job of getting the most of the talent, by reloading it.
In 02 the same thing happened as PHS was forced to replace the schools all time leading rusher, QB, 2 WR, TE, and Center. The defense also had 7 new starters on it, 6 of which were sophomores. Yet they still defeated a loaded veteran West team at the opening of the rock, and advanced to the regional championship after beating Ironton twice.
Looks like Clifford must have been doing something right being able to stick inexperienced kids out there and still have great seasons. As long as the talent was there PHS was very good.

PHS has had a drop off in talent these last few years. There have been no JoJo Parkers, Jeremy Hamricks, Jeremiah Bolden, or Akia Browns lining up in the back fields.

They Trojans did have a quality QB in Shane Porter, and he was able to lead his team back to the postseason. Other stand outs have been John Prior, Nate Cadogan on the line, but it is clearly easier to win with great skilled players then linemen.

This all just brings me back to my point that if the talent is there it is easier to win, even Vince Lombardi can’t win if the talent isn’t there. Some of the lean years here of late we have just run into more talented teams plain and simple. That is part of the problem with playing up, when you have a young team, or a team that isn’t the best you will have some poor records, but the rewards are there when you have good teams.

PHS would continue to play Ironton because it is our longest and best rival. If we only played one game a year it would be against the Tigers
We would continue to play Chilli because it to is a long standing rivalry, and the Trojans have traditionally owned this game.
Gallia doesn’t have quiet the history of the other 2 but we do have a history with them that precedes our return to the SEOAL. Jackson may also be an option for the Trojans, or you may see a return of a large WV. or KY as they are a boat load of playoff points.
There is no reason why PHS would break some of the area’s best rivalries. Why would we drop Ironton and Chill, for OVC teams?
The only reason we played any of OVC schools is because the rest of our schedule is such a grind. We had Chesapeake and South Pointe to open the season to prepare for the rest of the big dogs on the schedule.

Daniel Larusso
Varsity

Post by Daniel Larusso »

Could someone post Portsmouth's all time opponents and records vs those opponents. That would be a good read. :122245

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

32-40 big guy.........

Lots of talent.....D1 talent I might add!

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

I assume you are referring to the 08 team with Prior and Cadogan, what you fail to realize is that they also started a sophomore QB, a sophomore RB, a sophomore tackle, 2 sophomore guards, a sophomore TE, and a sophomore WR. 7 sophomores on the O alone, it is very hard to win with that many young guys. Also all of the other starters but 1 was a first year starter.
That year we played 5 playoff teams 3 division 2 teams and only one team with a losing record. Also 3 of those losses came by a combined total of 10 points. These kinds of records will happen for a D4 team playing in a D3 and D2 league, we are more likely to have to rebuild then the bigger schools.
03 7-3
04 4-6
05 3-7
06 5-5
07 8-3
08 8-3
09 8-3
43-30 for the Falcons with what you with the last 3 years that you call remarkable for the program, while playing against what we already stated were many weak opponents.
Portsmouth on the other hand is 32-40 against very tough competition, and had some very young teams. As you recall I described some of those Portsmouth teams lean in talent.
Minford has only an 11 game advantage over a time span that includes a ” remarkable job done with the program”( your words not mine). Considering the before mentioned lean years, and the much harder scheduling I have to say I am not impressed.
Every school the size of PHS and Minford are going to have good and bad stretches the Falcons have been in a good one for the last 3 years but the pendulum will swing back the other direction. PHS had a great run from 97-02 that saw us go 57- 13, but then the pendulum swung back and the talent dried up. It started to swing back some last year and should even more this year.

trojanofthepast
Freshman Team

Post by trojanofthepast »

Trojan_FB_Alum;

I don't think you owe these 2 any more explanation on the Trojan Program. They focus on short term success and not long term success. Minford has made a good run over the last 3 years, but things go in cycles. I wish all local teams well during the season regardless of some fan bases that don't have a clue. Just not against the Trojans if we they will play us. Hence I wish Minford well even though they will not play the Trojans. Minford will not make the playoffs this year and you will no longer here from these 2 die hard Minford fans. Most people in this county know Minford does not play the caliber teams the Trojans play year in and year out. That doesn't make Minford a bad program it's just the facts. It's OK to be a die hard for your team, but why waste time trying to put others down to make yourself feel better. I wish Minford the best but I believe tough times are coming for the Falcons. TFBA; You do a great job of making your points using facts and facts only. But a lot of people are just Trojan haters and take a blind eye to your facts. You seem to be the only one that uses facts and use common sense to explain to people. I enjoy reading your factual and common sense approach to people that don't have a clue.

BigTime
JV Team

Post by BigTime »

Great Post trojanofthepast, it's seems some people spend more time on the trojans site than they do their own. So I will keep our 2 new fans updated on when trojan season tickets go on sell. Your passion for trojan football is obvious and we appreciate it very much.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

One thing Minford did last year that we DID NOT do is beat Wheelersburg.......in fact, we were EMBARRASSED at our Trojan Coliseum 68-14, while the Falcons beat the Burg 16-15 and won the outright SOC II title. Minford took it right to the Pirates, while it seemed like we just rolled over and showed no comeback spirit at all!!

That 68-14 game still BURNS with me........no excuse to get beat like that!! The Burg was very good, but 68-14!!.......we were pretty good ourselves!!........one penalty away from the playoffs!!

I want to see a WHOLE DIFFERENT ATTITUDE from next season's Trojans when we come out of the locker room at Pirate Stadium!!

I have gone on record to say that the 2010 Trojans are talented and experienced enough to win the D4 state championship.........but we have to show up EVERY game and not let anybody push us around!!

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

BigTime wrote:Great Post trojanofthepast, it's seems some people spend more time on the trojans site than they do their own. So I will keep our 2 new fans updated on when trojan season tickets go on sell. Your passion for trojan football is obvious and we appreciate it very much.

I cheer for the Trojans. I just get amused by some of the absent minded Portsmouth fans on here that act hollier than thou.

I am glad that I didnt have to bring up that 68-14 score of the Burg game and one of your own faithful fans did that. And yes, Minford beat that same team that put it all over Portsmouth this year.

I will also go on record and say that Portsmouth SHOULD make a good run this year. If not, it will not be for a lack of talent on the field.

I will also go on record and say that I will thoroughly enjoy arguing with TFBA up to and during the football season as he tries to convince the rural areas of Scioto County that Portsmouth is still once the team it was and the mighty conference they play in is still one of the best in the state :122249

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

I am glad to know that we have a fan in Minford. I would like for you to know that I root for the Falcons when they play an out of the area team. I do however root against them if they are playing a team that is on our schedule as well, i.e. West, and Burg. Unless there is a situation where we need a West lost to get into the post season or something of that sort. I had hoped that the Falcons would prove me wrong last year and make a big run in the post season, but unfortunately I was right.
In reference to the 68-14 loss to Burg and the fact that Minford beat Burg, I know that we have gone through this and have shown that like opponents doesn’t mean anything, but I’m willing to break it down again.
For example
03 Minford beats Burg 10-0, Burg beats PHS 17-14, by your logic Minford should have been the obvious favorite, but the final result was PHS 48 Minford 13
09 Minford beat Wellston 20-27, Jackson beat Wellston 21-7, by your logic Jackson is 7 points better than Minford, and since Jackson only beat PHS by 1 that makes PHS 6 points better than Minford. ( so which comparison is right these teams or the Burg?)
09 Minford beat Waverly 14-7; Jackson beat Waverly 33-25, so Jackson is 1 point better then Minford in this scenario and since Jackson was 1 point better then PHS it makes for a draw.
3 different ways of linking PHS and Minford in 09 with 3 different results, if that doesn’t prove it to you nothing will.
Through these I hope you see that comparing scores is ridiculous, and in no way show who the better team could be. So the 68-14 only means that the Burg was that much better then PHS was that night, nothing else.
I would also like to let you know that I do not try to convince you of anything, I only to enlighten you to the world of football outside of the SOC.
As far as us still being the team we once were I know that we aren’t on a regular basis (although this year maybe) what we once were, but as I said these things come in stretches. I would also like for you to consider that I don’t think any of the top tier teams are now what they were a few years ago. Is Burg as good as they were in the late 90s? I don’t think so.
As for the SEOAL being one of the best conferences in the state I never said anything close to that. What I have said that it is the hardest conference to play in this area, and is harder for Portsmouth being a small D4 then it is for Logan who is a large D2, or even a D3 like Gallia. I will put the winner of the SEOAL up against the winner of the SOC any and every year, or the 2nd vs. 2nd, and so on down the list.
This past season
SEOAL 1.Logan vs SOC 1.Minford, not even close the Chieftains would mop the floor, as they would with the most of southern Ohio.
SEOAL 2. Ironton vs. Burg, Ironton won 24-8
SEOAL 3. Jackson vs. SOC3 Valley my opinion Jackson takes this but it’s a good game.
SEOAL 4. Portsmouth vs. SOC4 West, PHS won 21-20
SEOAL 5. Warren vs. SOC 5 Waverly, my opinion Warren wins this comfortably do to the injuries Waverly had. If Waverly is healthy it is a different game, although if Waverly is healthy they finish better then 5th in the SOC.
SEOAL 6. Gallia Academy vs. SOC 6 Northwest, Gallia walks through this game to an easy win.

My opinion the SEOAL wins all 6 games as the larger division conference should, I would even go as far to say that the top 5 SEOAL teams either beat or give the SOC champion a game. As I said the SEOAL being the larger conference they should be able to dominate a smaller conference like the SOC. All I would like form the SOC fans is to realize that PHS’s enrollment is much more in line with the SOC schools then it is with the SEOAL, and to realize that this makes it very challenging for PHS. The SOC covers an enrollment range of Burg with 150 to Waverly 253, making the middle 201.5, PHS is a only 2.5 boys above at 204. The SEOAL on the other had is made up of Logan at 453, Marietta at 393, Warren at 362, Chillicothe at 331, Jackson 301, and Gallia at 268 meaning on an average night in the SEOAL the Trojans are forced to play a team that is 147 boys larger, and could be playing an opponent as big as 249 boys bigger. I have no problem with playing up to this level and even enjoy the great competition we get in the SEOAL, I only wish that those of you that like to criticize the Trojans for some bad years, to please consider how your team would do having to play teams that much bigger then you on a normal basis. PHS playing in the SEOAL is the equivalent of Notre Dame or East playing in SOC 2. ND and East would never win a game except for Northwest, where PHS has won several and even competed for league titles.
Many of you know we have tried to get into the SOC to no avail, so at this time the SEOAL is the best fit for our kids. It gives us a chance to compete for league titles, our kids a chance to win league awards, and it makes scheduling much easier alleviating the chance of 9 game seasons.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I agree with TrojanFBAlum that the SEOAL is a more challenging league than the SOC.......there is less margin for error in the SEOAL than in the SOC, especially when you're the smallest school, which Portsmouth will be next year........a down year playing in the SEOAL most likely means few if any league wins, as evidenced by Portsmouth's 1-9 record two years ago, going 0-7 in the league and the only win being over South Point the first game of the season.

In the 4 years being in the league, Portsmouth has actually fared pretty well in the SEOAL.......we went 5-2 in 2007, going 4-0 vs. the South Division.......the only league losses were to Zanesville and Logan.......this past year the Trojans again went 5-2 in the league, the two losses being to Jackson and Ironton.

With Athens and Zanesville already having left, Ironton leaving after this school year, and Marietta after the 2011 school year, the SEOAL's strength will have taken a big hit.......the league still will provide good competition, but it won't be nearly as strong as it was during its brief 10 team membership.

But even a 6 team SEOAL is still a better league than the SOC II.......it should be.......the enrollments are significantly larger. Compared to leagues of similar size around the state, though, I would rate the SEOAL as just average.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

trojandave wrote:I agree with TrojanFBAlum that the SEOAL is a more challenging league than the SOC.......there is less margin for error in the SEOAL than in the SOC, especially when you're the smallest school, which Portsmouth will be next year........a down year playing in the SEOAL most likely means few if any league wins, as evidenced by Portsmouth's 1-9 record two years ago, going 0-7 in the league and the only win being over South Point the first game of the season.

In the 4 years being in the league, Portsmouth has actually fared pretty well in the SEOAL.......we went 5-2 in 2007, going 4-0 vs. the South Division.......the only league losses were to Zanesville and Logan.......this past year the Trojans again went 5-2 in the league, the two losses being to Jackson and Ironton.

With Athens and Zanesville already having left, Ironton leaving after this school year, and Marietta after the 2011 school year, the SEOAL's strength will have taken a big hit.......the league still will provide good competition, but it won't be nearly as strong as it was during its brief 10 team membership.

But even a 6 team SEOAL is still a better league than the SOC II.......it should be.......the enrollments are significantly larger. Compared to leagues of similar size around the state, though, I would rate the SEOAL as just average.

I agree with your post 100%.

You see, I do agree with P-town people! ;-)

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Bleeding Red,

If you look Dave said he agrees with me at the beginning of his post, and if you agree with him 100% that means you agree with mine as well. It may be a 3rd person agreement but for you I will take it.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Philly
All Conference

Post by Philly »

You know I haven't been on here for awhile, but today, I just decided to see what the were saying about the 2010 Trojan Football Team.....Then I read about how bad of a coach Curt Clifford is.....gave me a headache.

How anyone can say that Curt isn't a good coach, just isn't looking at the whole picture. There is more to being a coach then winning. Just about a week ago, this man left his daughters hospital bed to come and speak at my son's funeral...that right there tells you loads about Curt Clifford. My son would have followed this man and all his assistant coaches anywhere and played football for them. It isn't all about numbers....it is so much more....

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Trojan_FB_Alum wrote:Bleeding Red,

If you look Dave said he agrees with me at the beginning of his post, and if you agree with him 100% that means you agree with mine as well. It may be a 3rd person agreement but for you I will take it.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I guess this is the perfect time for the "agree to disagree"!

I agree with you in part....not entirely for sure.

Philly
All Conference

Post by Philly »

Wow, this post was just going strong..then I posted and it stopped it dead...didn't mean to do that...

Here is hoping the 2010 Trojans have a great season this year!

GO MIGHTY TROJANS!!

Return to “Football”