Thoughts on Warren Football Season

warriorfan 740
Waterboy

Re: Thoughts on Warren Football Season

Post by warriorfan 740 »

Warren is going to be fast this year. With Vehnam, Fivecoat, Miller, Hastie, Vincent, Root, and Henthorne returning, there is going to be some speed and strength. Also, the warrior line on both side is going to be huge this year too. Plus, there will be a battle with Leffingwell and Hilverding at the quarter back position. Going to be a great season. Keep working boys. It'll pay off. :mrgreen:

ttfn
Waterboy

Post by ttfn »

I agree. I think the team will be very fast but big on the line to. Looks like the options will be endless!!! Keep 'em guessing!

WarriorMom
Waterboy

Post by WarriorMom »

Warren is returning 4 of their offense linemen from last year, Hendrix, Timberman, Lang and Greathouse. Three of the four are seniors this year and the four of them weigh in at about 1000 lbs. So the Warriors will have size and strength returning for the O-line. Also Hendrix and Timberman will be three year starters for Warren. There will be quite a few three and four year starters returning for Warren this year. We will be missing some great seniors from last year, but there should be plenty of senior leadership to pick up where they left off last year.

coal miner's son
Freshman Team

Post by coal miner's son »

They ALL weigh 250?!

WarriorMom
Waterboy

Post by WarriorMom »

No not all of them, one is around 300 a couple are around 250 and one is around 200. Of course I haven't seen them for a few months so they may be up or down a little.

ccrunner
Riding the Bench

Post by ccrunner »

Tvc87 wrote:Who on Warren is going to be able to stop Waderker and Watkins?

I think that question has been answered with the above posts. Plus, Warren had no problem stopping them last year and this year will be much like last year.

WHSwarrior
Varsity

Post by WHSwarrior »

WarriorMom wrote:Warren is returning 4 of their offense linemen from last year, Hendrix, Timberman, Lang and Greathouse. Three of the four are seniors this year and the four of them weigh in at about 1000 lbs. So the Warriors will have size and strength returning for the O-line. Also Hendrix and Timberman will be three year starters for Warren. There will be quite a few three and four year starters returning for Warren this year. We will be missing some great seniors from last year, but there should be plenty of senior leadership to pick up where they left off last year.

Hendrix, Timberman and Greathouse are all quality linemen. The other two starters last year for Big Blue were Arbuckle and Alfred......Lang????? He was the student section leader...def not a lineman lol

warriorfan 740
Waterboy

Post by warriorfan 740 »

WHSwarrior wrote:
WarriorMom wrote:Warren is returning 4 of their offense linemen from last year, Hendrix, Timberman, Lang and Greathouse. Three of the four are seniors this year and the four of them weigh in at about 1000 lbs. So the Warriors will have size and strength returning for the O-line. Also Hendrix and Timberman will be three year starters for Warren. There will be quite a few three and four year starters returning for Warren this year. We will be missing some great seniors from last year, but there should be plenty of senior leadership to pick up where they left off last year.

Hendrix, Timberman and Greathouse are all quality linemen. The other two starters last year for Big Blue were Arbuckle and Alfred......Lang????? He was the student section leader...def not a lineman lol

I'd say they mean Lane

Auburntgrfan
All Conference

Post by Auburntgrfan »

I would suggest that there is a difference between quick and fast. The aboved mentioned speed group. Is quick, I did not see any of them flat outrun anyone last year. I think of logan and Ironton first their running backs were fast, we could not keep up with them. Don't get me wrong I am not slamming anyone here, just an observation on the difference between fast and quick, Hastie and the rest are most difinately quick and the offense should highlight what the capabilities are. Quickness, I just don't see breakaway speed and that is what the spread has to have people with flat out speed. And in the spread you need cat quick QB'(S) Young Leffingwell does not have the wheels, Hilverding is closer to having the wheels, but is not super fast, and not a great amount of time at QB. I still believe as someone else said, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

bigcatmarietta
Freshman Team

Post by bigcatmarietta »

So nice to know that someone as qualified and well versed in Football knowledge like HEAD FOOTBALL COACH ANDY SCHOB was hired to come in and solve this offensive question. What he says goes. Since Warren was not a perfect 10-0 last season and only one winning season in some time I’d say there is room for improvement. ANY FOOTBALL team can run any OFFENCE. The kids on the team would be offended to think people think they can’t do something. I say let the kids run it all. Keep the other teams guessing? No reason to be stuck in one mode or another. Keep up the good work Coach Schob!!!

Auburntgrfan
All Conference

Post by Auburntgrfan »

There is an old saying "Dance with the gal you brought" I would suggest that the Tigers of the last few years have had team speed. Warren has not and does not. Bigcat you can't run NASCAR with a go cart. YOu need the horses. Your statement hold no merit. NUff said.

The Wizard
Freshman Team

Post by The Wizard »

I hope coach Schob understands what he is getting into at Warren.

Already you people are setting up the "I told you so", "they should be doing this", "don't fix what ain't broke". I sure hope he wins or there will be many, many parents of todays athletes looking to blame someone other than their son for not making that tackle, or not making that block, not catching that pass etc.

Auburntgrfan
All Conference

Post by Auburntgrfan »

Don't get me wrong. I know Coach Schob and believe he will get the most out of the kids. But I hope he tempers what he likes to do with what the athletes can do.

ttfn
Waterboy

Post by ttfn »

Auburntgrfan wrote:There is an old saying "Dance with the gal you brought" I would suggest that the Tigers of the last few years have had team speed. Warren has not and does not. Bigcat you can't run NASCAR with a go cart. YOu need the horses. Your statement hold no merit. NUff said.

Wow. I don't think you are watching the same kids that I have been. Hit the next track meet and take a gander. We have fast kids AND they do play football. By making this statement I certainly am not saying I think Schob should run the spread... Schob's the coach and I think he should run whatever he thinks is best. BUT I stick by the statement that it would be a possibility for the talent we have. Sounds like maybe your just a little hopeful that we can't pull it off. Sorry to ruin your day. Keep 'em guessing!!!

ccrunner
Riding the Bench

Post by ccrunner »

I think coach Schob, IF given the time by the parties involved, which he wasn't at Marietta, will be the most successful coach at Warren since the days of Red Hill.

Warren should consider themselves lucky that they have a man who actually wants to be there and will commit himself to the program, unlike Bolen and some others that stayed 1 year and left.

Auburntgrfan
All Conference

Post by Auburntgrfan »

Sped on the track does not always transfer to the football field. Add 35 lbs or more of football equipment. And that speed turns into quickness many/much of the time. Now if those same track stars can match that speed with equipment and on the grass makin cuts left/right, then I will say we have speed. .

ccrunner
Riding the Bench

Post by ccrunner »

Auburntgrfan wrote:Sped on the track does not always transfer to the football field. Add 35 lbs or more of football equipment. And that speed turns into quickness many/much of the time. Now if those same track stars can match that speed with equipment and on the grass makin cuts left/right, then I will say we have speed. .

While I agree that track speed doesn't always crossover to the game of football, I have to take exception with the "35 lbs or more of football equipment." Lets try 4 to 6 pounds as a more realistic figure.

coal miner's son
Freshman Team

Post by coal miner's son »

How would a xc runner know how much a helmet, shoulder pads, hip, butt, thigh, and knee pads weigh? Helmets are A LOT lighter than they used to be, but I will tell you those items weigh more than 4-6 pounds. Also, football cleats are at least 13-14 oz, if not closer to a pound.

Auburntgrfan
All Conference

Post by Auburntgrfan »

A football helmet weights @8-9 lbs now, the shoulder pads are much lighter but come in at @7-9 lbs and this can vary depending on the size shoulder pads you wear, girdle, thigh, knee pads , pants, jersey about @6 lbs, shoes depending on style and brand can be anywhere from 1-2 lbs. and don't forget any extra pad they might wear like rib protection etc. All these can vary depending on the size of the player. So my 35lbs. estimate still stands. But to make you happy we'll say 25-35 lbs. Add to this is it raining, muddy add a crap load of weight. Now look at Ironton and Logan. They had running backs, and QB's that ran by, past and around many of our kids. No insult to our kids intended, they had kids that were faster in pads than we were. Warren will have a good season if they keep within what we can do. I believe Coach Schob and his staff will make the right moves to be successful. Good luck to him and the team.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

I always said there is football speed and then there is track speed.

Football speed is how you run with the football and how you get to the ball.
In track it is flat out speed and when to use it.

Return to “Football”