Week 1 - Jackson @ Wellston

Who wins?

Total votes: 0

BorntobeLOM
Waterboy

Re: Wellston vs. Jackson 2010

Post by BorntobeLOM »

The Rockets are just way overmatched yet again. This streak could get to 100 years for the Ironmen.

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

Yeah I know I think Wellston should just forfiet. I know our kids dont think they have a chance....NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

hsfbfan
Varsity

Post by hsfbfan »

No boilermaker. The kids think they have a chance. It's everybody else who doesn't think they do.

BorntobeLOM
Waterboy

Post by BorntobeLOM »

I don't believe that you all realize that "believing" is the whole problem with Wellston. Deep down I think that no one from Wellston believes that they can win. Anytime I talk to people from Wellston, they all just know that they will lose the first game. Until you all start truly believing that you can win, the streak will continue. Boilermaker always says that the streak will end but he does not truly BELIEVE it will. I am not from either town but I know many people from both towns. Jackson knows they will win and Wellston just knows that they will lose.

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

Trust me I believe now ,and have all my life . I support the kids from Wellston and every chance I get to tell them , they can beat Jackson! I have said it before and Ill say it again the streak ends 8/28/10.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

When you start taking something for granted, that's when it will come back to bite you. I hope I never see Jackson lose to Wellston in football, but I'm not going to be overconfident about it. Wellston's kids will give everything they've got on the 28th and it's up to Jackson's kids to match that intensity/effort and continue the streak. All the pressure is on Jackson. Wellston has nothing to lose, but can you imagine being the Jackson team that loses to Wellston after two decades?

As fans, we can say what we want on here, talk trash, or be overconfident. But I'm sure that Coach Hall will have his team focused, motivated, and hungry to get #20 in a row. They will NOT be taking anything for granted. They will be going "all-out" to beat their biggest rival again.

hsfbfan
Varsity

Post by hsfbfan »

Wellston will play on emotion and hang with Jackson for a few quarters. Then the Ironmen on the strength of their experienced running backs and big O-line will pull away in the second half. I would love for Wellston to prove me wrong and end the STREAK but, they won't.

Ironmen-35
Rockets-12

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

Neither team has played a scrimmage yet. This week will tell us more about both teams , I think its too early to predict a score. I really beleive this is the year for Wellston though.I will take Wellstons runningbacks over any team on our schedule. We have four kids that can carry the ball ,fast and will break tackles.The Ironmen might have a slight advatage upfront ,mostly with size the Rockets will be strong ,physical and quick upfront. Predicting a score right now is silly . I will say it again the streak ends 8/28/10 ;-)

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

I was pretty impressed with Jackson during their Red & White scrimmage on Saturday. Obviously there are things to work on, but for this early, I saw a lot of positives from the Ironmen. The quality and overall depth at the skill positions may be something that we haven't seen in quite a while at Jackson, and I was very impressed with the line play, especially on the offensive side of the ball. The Ironmen will be huge up front this season, but most of those guys are pretty quick for their size as well. Jackson, as always, should be able to run the football successfully, but I think they'll have an adequate passing game to compliment the ground game. Winchester looks to be solid to me and will only get better as he gets more reps, and he has several targets with Johnson, McNelly, Costilow, and Steppe, plus Meredith, Ervin, Arthur, and McDaniel out of the backfield. I'm looking forward to seeing the offense as an entire unit against Meigs, rather than the split squads that I saw on Saturday. Excited to see how the defense looks on Saturday as well. I'm trying not to get ahead of myself, but I really am expecting big things from this Jackson team. They're working hard, and the intensity and talent is there. Should be a fun season.

sportyfan
Waterboy

Post by sportyfan »

I was also very impressed with the red/white scrimmage. They have a huge strong line to have to get by that is for sure. I believe that as I watched 4 of those boys walk together on the sidelines that they were as big as 6 or 7 of the other boys! Impressed by how quick they got off the line for those sizes. It is not going to be just a focus of this player or that player either this year. There is going to be endless possibilities of the plays that can be executed. I am so excited and ready for some IRONMEN football!

crazee-oakaholic
All Conference

Post by crazee-oakaholic »

Jackson does have everything to lose...they have the target on their back..they have the winning streak..we know know winning streaks do get broken..jackson defeated the blue devils to end that streak a few yrs ago..but will jackson lose to wellston this year? i doubt it..they dont want to be the team remembered for being the team that lost the first time in 20 years to wellston..i think it will be a huge game..i am glad this game is on a saturday because you guys get the oak hill crowd there to help out the gate, and we also get jackson and wellston people at our friday night game to help out our gate...oak hill also plays wellston on a saturday which should also get more people in to see the game...goodluck to both teams..i just see jackson adding a W to their win column and continuing the streak

Ironmen32
JV Team

Post by Ironmen32 »

Jackson is averaging over 200 lbs on the line with a 250 lb TE. There backfield is just as good if not better then Wellston's. We all know the reason Jackson has won all these years (19 to be exact) :lol: there line is bigger, more athletic, and also more physical. Jackson wins to make it an even 20!!!

Wellston Ironman
Freshman Team

Post by Wellston Ironman »

boilermaker wrote:Yeah I know I think Wellston should just forfiet. I know our kids dont think they have a chance....NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wellston may have some good players for the TVC, but this is the SEOAL they are playing against. Jackson sees better athletes every week of the season. This will be no big deal. Wellstons only chance is to get a coach from another sport at the school on the football staff and give him free reign to recruit some better players.......

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

Wellston has players that can compete in the SEOAL. The problem ,and reason for Wellston leaving the SEOAL is numbers.The 2011 season I expect Wellston to drop to D-5 due to declining enrollment . As for the jab at recruiting , coach Hutch and staff will work and play who they have ....and win with them!

camnott
Varsity

Post by camnott »

I would never take any teams we play for granted. I look for this to be a very physical game with a lot of surprises coming from both teams. Wellston is at home which will only help them. I'll be rootin for my Ironmen but I can see a very good football game about to take place. Hope it stays clean and no injuries!

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Can anyone give me Wellston's scrimmage dates/times/opponents?

Did they have a scrimmage this evening?

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

ironman02.....Wellston has a scrimmage at home against Chesapeake at 6 p.m. on Wednesday (8-11). It may be moved to 7 p.m. because of the heat?

I talked to Coach Hutchinson today at Wellston and he said he'd call me if time changed on that scrimmage. It was Wellston's football media day today.

Jackson's media day is Monday (8-16).

I hope you had a chance to catch my TVC-Ohio and SEOAL league previews, which ran in last week's editions of The Times-Journal.

Wellston's second scrimmage is at Zane Trace on Friday, Aug. 20 at 6 p.m.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Thanks, keyser_soze78. I might have to check out the scrimmage with Peake tomorrow night.

I did catch the TVC-Ohio preview, but somehow I missed the SEOAL preview. Very nice job on the one that I did see.

When will the Times-Journal's Fall Sports Preview be released?

Rocket50
Freshman Team

Post by Rocket50 »

Haven't been on for a while, but what are expecting to see out of my Rockets tomorrow night Boilermaker?

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

ironman02...Thanks for the kind words. I'll send SEOAL preview piece on Wednesday when I return to the T-J office. I worked from the home office tonight, but my SEOAL story final draft file is on my files at work not here.

The Times-Journal fall sports preview publishes Tuesday, Aug. 24.

Return to “Football”