Week 1 - Jackson @ Wellston

Who wins?

Total votes: 0

Ontheriver
Freshman Team

Re: Week 1 - Jackson @ Wellston

Post by Ontheriver »

This is the reality of what happens when you beat a team 19 years in row. It no longer becomes a rival and for Jackson being the first game of the year its almost like a scrimmage making it hard to get fired up to play. Even Jackson's coach stated he didnt realize this game was a rivelry.

The Seniors on this team wasnt even born the last time Wellston won , its hard to stay focused for this game and not look ahead to Jacksons though schedule.

No one remembers the 19 year tradition , its now the Wellston team that beat Jackson, so regroup and make it 20.

Hopefully Jackson can regroup and salvage there season. They will now have to root for wellston if they want any shot at all for making it into a playoff game. So hopefully Wellston does go 10-0.

Does anyone know were this record stands in the state for consecutive year winning streak against the same team?

dilligaf
S

Post by dilligaf »

Has the jackson coach been in a coma or what? lol

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Jackson's coach said it was a rivalry game last year in the gridiron glory preview. Its on YouTube.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

First of all, Jackson gets ZERO computer points from Wellston no matter what the Rockets do the rest of the season. You have to BEAT a team to get any points from them.

Coach Hall stated after last season that he didn't realize the magnitude of the rivalry until he experienced it for himself. He realizes that it's very important, and last night's events will make him realize that even more, just as it will everyone else associated with the Jackson program.

It probably is hard for Jackson's players to prepare for this game mentally. There's a lot of pressure to not be the team that finally lost to Wellston, and it's human nature to get complacent when you have won so many games in a row, but the key throughout the streak was never taking anything for granted. Nineteen times in a row, Jackson got the job done and didn't pay attention to what had happened in the past. Last night, they simply didn't. I'm not getting into any more of that though, because it seems like an excuse to me, and no excuses need to be made. Wellston's team EARNED the win. They had enough of the losing and they went out and did something about it. They deserve all the credit in the world.

superblue
All Conference

Post by superblue »

Hey 02...... I really like your usage of "The Streak" in describing the Wellston series...... Use to be that little 2 word phrase would get you a little upset.... :-D :-D Good luck next week and hope to see you in week 10....

ironman93
Waterboy

Post by ironman93 »

are their any pics from the game?

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Post by X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X »

im sorry but its not a rivalry now that wellston won? whatever everyone knew what this game ment to both teams wether they admit that or not..

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Post by X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X »

And i don't know what post got deleted so ima be real nice when i say this but jackson better cut down on them un needed personal fouls when stuff ain't going their way or its gonna cost them hard.

bltennis07
Waterboy

Post by bltennis07 »

Just found this website last night. I was trying to figure out who was winning the game last night agains't jackson. , by an online radio or something. I found this sight and was able to keep up with the game...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

personal fouls were about #18 down the list on things that cost the Ironmen the game

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

superblue wrote:Hey 02...... I really like your usage of "The Streak" in describing the Wellston series...... Use to be that little 2 word phrase would get you a little upset.... :-D :-D Good luck next week and hope to see you in week 10....
I used to think that "streak" was about as low as it could get...until last night. Tough thing to get over, and I feel really bad for our kids. I should be there in Week 10. We'll definitely have to meet up. Good luck to you guys until then.

oldschoolblue
Freshman Team

Post by oldschoolblue »

Jackson was huge, I was surprised they didnt just run behind that big line. Wellston is super quick and swarm well on defense. Jackson looked a little tired, I am sure they will play well from here on out but I was super impressed with Wellston and I thinkl there coaching was flawlwess. The Osborne kid is explosive. What a crowd!!!!!!!!!

bobcatfan4728
Freshman Team

Post by bobcatfan4728 »

Does anyone have a idea on how many was there ? I was standing at the top of the home stands packed in like sardines.

Caulker10
Freshman Team

Post by Caulker10 »

I also was standing at the top of the home stands, and the crowd was massive. I would hate to say how many ppl were at the game. But I think Jackson brought there library voices lastnight, dead silence over there. I loved it.

LoganAlumni99
Waterboy

Post by LoganAlumni99 »

Although I hate to see an SEOAL team lose, congrats to the Rockets.

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

WOW! I must say I didn't see this one coming and to be honest I thought the first time I saw the score that someone had posted the scores for the wrong teams. Congratulations to Wellston and their kids for playing a tough opponent and coming up with a huge win.

WJfan4life
Freshman Team

Post by WJfan4life »

congrats to Wellston on the win

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

Congrats to Wellston on the win and snapping the 19 game losing streak.

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

Congratulations to Coach Hutchinson and the Golden Rockets on the tremendous win and snapping the streak.

Wellston AD Jeff Hendershott, who was the Wellston quarterback when Wellston beat Jackson in 1989 BTW, should have admission gate figures to me on Tuesday.

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

Here is the box score. I know these team stats don't line up on here since I have the set style sheet set up on QuarkXpress.

Hoggy......How is life in the Great Northwest?

Jackson 0 7 0 6 — 13

Wellston 6 8 6 13 — 33

W — Brad Miller, 10-yard run (kick failed), 6:54, 1st (6-0 W)

W — Jaylen Prater, 65-yard run (Austin Osborne run), 11:17, 2nd (14-0 W)

J — Klay Arthur, 4-yard run (Luke Eisnaugle kick), 8:41, 2nd (14-7 W)

W — Jaylen Prater, 26-yard run (kick blocked), 7:07, 3rd (20-7 W)

W — Austin Osborne, 22-yard pass from Jaylen Prater (kick failed), 10:19, 4th (26-7 W)

J — Kip Winchester, 6-yard run (kick failed), 4:49, 4th (26-13 W)

W — Jaylen Prater, 1-yard run (D.J. Young kick), 1:25, 4th (33-13 W)

TEAM STATISTICS

J W

First Downs 16 19

Scrimmage Plays 51 52

Rushing (No.-Yds) 35-171 47-313

Passing (Cmp.-Att.-Int.) 7-16-2 3-5-1

Passing Yards 99 51

Total Yards 270 364

Fumbles (No.-Lost) 2-1 0-0

Penalties (No.-Yds) 4-32 9-64

Punts (No.-Ave.) 3-33.3 2-31.5

INDIVIDUAL LEADERS

RUSHING

Jackson: Klay Arthur 11-77 TD, Kip Winchester 12-53 TD, Drew Ervin 7-48, Derek Meredith 4-(-2), Team 1-(-5); Wellston: Jaylen Prater 13-148 3TD, Austin Osborne 22-101, Brad Miller 11-45 TD, Timmy Ervin 1-19

PASSING

Jackson: Kip Winchester 7-16-2-99; Wellston: Jaylen Prater 3-5-1-51 TD

RECEIVING

Jackson: Ty McNelly 3-65, Tyler Jeffers 1-21, Drew Ervin 1-6, Derek Meredith 1-4, Klay Arthur 1-3; Wellston: Austin Osborne 2-50 TD, Austin Craig 1-1

Return to “Football”