MSL Expansion = Logan and Chilly???

ChieftainGrad135
Riding the Bench

MSL Expansion = Logan and Chilly???

Post by ChieftainGrad135 »

Word is that the MSL is looking to expand and Logan and Chillicothe are a part of their plans. Post what info you have and let the conversation begin.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Re: MSL Expansion = Logan and Chilly???

Post by noreply66 »

lhs_iraq_vet wrote:Word is that the MSL is looking to expand and Logan and Chillicothe are a part of their plans. Post what info you have and let the conversation begin.

Maybe one of the Mods can bring what has been said over on the basketball form to this one.

Daniel Larusso
Varsity

Post by Daniel Larusso »

If this happens I could see the SEOAL shifting to the extreme south schools. Gallipolis, Portsmouth, Jackson, and Ironton might try to break off and form a new SEOAL. You get a Waverly and Wheelersburg to join, and then you have a pretty good 6 team conference. The question is would either of those two ever leave the SOC. Warren will probably join the TVC, and end the Athens reign of terror.

ChieftainGrad135
Riding the Bench

gahs4ever.............in regards to your post regarding this subject on the basketball forum, no one thus far regarding this topic has stated that Logan dominates in any other sport within the league. We all know that Logan is middle of the pack average in every other sport except for football.................at this time. I know I am not advocating for the SEOAL to implode. My only point is that the league has members that are moving in different directions because of enrollment numbers, finances, and politics. I deeply respect the fact that Logan is a charter member of the SEOAL, but all things change with time. Maybe it is or maybe it is not time for Logan to leave. I won't decide that, nor will any other fan. However, we all have a right to voice our opinions and let them be heard. That is what we all will do until this comes to fruition or blows over.

As for Chillicothe, they have lived a nomadic athletic lifestyle. Personally, as a resident of Logan and being employed in Chillicothe, I have the privelage of experiencing both communities and to see them strive for excellence both academically and athletically. Chillicothe is no slouch overall. They represent no matter what league they are in. Maybe the MSL is a more stable environment for them. The fact is, we don't know.

I don't think that Logan has "outgrown" the SEOAL. The SEOAL has become more concentrated (division wise) in the last decade. The league average is just around a D3 size school. So I don't think that "outgrowing" is the factor as Logan has dropped, slightly, in size the past decade. I think it is just a new beginning and only time will tell as to whether Logan stays or goes.

After all, we are only talking about POSSIBLE invitations to the MSL. We are not talking about any acceptance of the invitation by Logan or Chillicothe. So lets not jump to conclusions as of yet that it is a done deal. I for one am still waiting for an article to come out regarding the invitation.

GoChiefs
Varsity

Post by GoChiefs »

What thread is this being discussed on in the basketball forums?

ChieftainGrad135
Riding the Bench

"What Logan needs........" It was originally regarding what Logan needs regarding the the basketball program and coach. Recently the topic has changed since pfloyd posted that the MSL has extended an invite to Logan and Chillicothe. I started the topic in this forum out of respect for the topic in the other forum. I have sent a pm to LoganLocos about the possibility of merging the posts from the "What Logan needs........" topic in the basketball forum to the actual topic I created in the football forum.

ironmen1987
SE

Post by ironmen1987 »

I could see Logan leaving but Chilli would be crazy to go. Ironton is in a terrible location to be a part of any league that they would find competitive so they have to make sacrifices as do the teams that play them. Marietta should've never been a part of the SEOAL and Warren would be better off in the TVC. I have nothing against any of these schools but the travel time is crazy. Chilli, Jackson, Athens, Gallia, Waverly, and Vinton Co would make a nice 6 team league but it'll never happen....

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Any one have any proof yet that the MSL has sent invites to Logan and Chilli??

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

pfloyd first brought it up over on the basketball form and the guys always knows what he is talking about

ChieftainGrad135
Riding the Bench

I spoke with one of the spring sport varsity coach last night and asked him about it. He said that during one of their recent sporting events, a coach from Amanda-Clearcreek mention to him that "Logan will be joining the MSL". The Logan varsity coach has not heard anything from any administration officials regarding the subject though he stated. So I don't know if this is something that is going on quietly behind doors or what. It is the school boards decision, not the AD's decision, to switch leagues if an invite is officially presented, correct?

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

noreply66 wrote:pfloyd first brought it up over on the basketball form and the guys always knows what he is talking about

Thats a pretty good source!

ChieftainGrad135
Riding the Bench

Thats the reason I actually started the topic. I knew if pfloyd was the source, it was worth talking about. However, we don't know the origination of his source and there is nothing in print regarding the invitation, at least that we have seen yet. I figured the Logan Daily News would be all over the invite and have an article on it.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Ironmen1987: You didn't even mention Portsmouth in your proposed SEOAL.......PHS geographically fits well with your scenario......and athletically we have already proven we can be very competitive........Jackson and Portsmouth should have been playing each other regularly LONG before PHS joined the SEOAL........only 44 miles between the two cities.

With Marietta leaving after next year, and with Zanesville/Athens having already left.......Ironton going independent after this school year, the SEOAL is in a good position because it will allow Logan and Chillicothe 4 NC games to schedule up in football and 8 NC games in basketball........no matter what league a school joins, there's always going to be at least a couple of teams that lag behind everyone else........unless it's the MAC, of course (St.Henry, Coldwater, Versailles, Maria Stein Marion Local, Delphos St.John's)

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

lhs_iraq_vet wrote:Thats the reason I actually started the topic. I knew if pfloyd was the source, it was worth talking about. However, we don't know the origination of his source and there is nothing in print regarding the invitation, at least that we have seen yet. I figured the Logan Daily News would be all over the invite and have an article on it.

The TVC is known for doing things very quietly and maybe the MSL is trying to do the same thing. The Logan Dailey won't report on this until they get solid facts so they won't report anything until either the MSL or Logan Hocking Schools clues then in on what is going on.

My question is, what division do you put Logan in? There is some good teams in the MSL but as far as school size they aren't really changing much. With the amount of league games they will play and the region they are in I just don't think it would be a better fit than the SEOAL right now.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

MSL OHIO

Bexley
Columbus Academy
Granville
Heath
Lakewood
Licking Valley
Newark Catholic
Whitehall-Yearling

MSL CARDINAL

Berne Union
Fisher Catholic
Grandview Heights
Harvest Prepatory
Liberty Union
Licking Heights
Millersport
West Jefferson

MSL BUCKEYE

Amanda-Clearcreek
Bloom-Carroll
Canal Winchester
Circleville
Fairfield Union
Hamilton Township
Logan Elm
Teays Valley

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Some of the MSL schools have grown rapidly over the past decade, and continue to do so. I could see the MSL realigning so that the divisions are based on school size. There are 24 teams now. If they expand to 28 teams, you could add a new division and realign to have 4 divisions of 7 teams each, based on school size. That would create 6 league games in football, 12 in basketball for each school.

Late 70s Logan grad
Freshman Team

Post by Late 70s Logan grad »

Thank you, Orange and Brown, you are quite correct... The Logan Daily News WILL report on this issue IF it gets past the rumor/speculation stage. The LDN is very well aware of the rumors and of all the talk that is going on and the LDN was aware of them long before they got online.

It's unfair to put either the MSL or LHS into an awkward spot because of all the rumors and speculation... but if/when the MSL issues a formal invitation, and if/when Logan discusses, accepts or declines such an invitation, you will get all the facts in the LDN.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

if this did happen what would the re-elignment look like?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

O & B, lhs_Iraq vet ... my source was one of the administrators at the high school during a recent meeting (2 or 3 weeks ago) ... the comment concerning the MSL Invite came up - asked for some input from others in the meeting ... nothing was discussed as to the invite being taken as "a done deal" , only that the INVITE was offered by those folks in the "Northwest Territories" (as per our good friend seop poster bman) ... as has been mentioned schools up Rt. 33 have seen increases in enrollment (ie. Canal, Teays Valley, Hamilton Twp) ...

... never would have brought it up BUT it was introduced by a person I consider a person very close to the situation on the administrative level, this person was looking to get feedback, it is being discussed within the LHS coaching ranks, and the INVITE has been brought up by MSL coaches/personnel during LHS sports team visits during track, tennis, baseball, softball competition ... was brought up at the state golf coaches meeting in C'bus this past weekend as well ... will it happen? only time will tell , but discussion - and that's where all things need to be at this point in time "in the discussion ONLY phase" ... discussion is a good start ...

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

pfloyd wrote:O & B, lhs_Iraq vet ... my source was one of the administrators at the high school during a recent meeting (2 or 3 weeks ago) ... the comment concerning the MSL Invite came up - asked for some input from others in the meeting ... nothing was discussed as to the invite being taken as "a done deal" , only that the INVITE was offered by those folks in the "Northwest Territories" (as per our good friend seop poster bman) ... as has been mentioned schools up Rt. 33 have seen increases in enrollment (ie. Canal, Teays Valley, Hamilton Twp) ...

... never would have brought it up BUT it was introduced by a person I consider a person very close to the situation on the administrative level, this person was looking to get feedback, it is being discussed within the LHS coaching ranks, and the INVITE has been brought up by MSL coaches/personnel during LHS sports team visits during track, tennis, baseball, softball competition ... was brought up at the state golf coaches meeting in C'bus this past weekend as well ... will it happen? only time will tell , but discussion - and that's where all things need to be at this point in time "in the discussion ONLY phase" ... discussion is a good start ...

It's all good! I take you at your word! You wouldn't just spread rumors.

Return to “Football”