Steubenville to join ECOL

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Steubenville to join ECOL

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

This is old news, but I haven't seen it posted on here. The ECOL is going to be brutal!!!!

http://www.whiznews.com/content/sports/local/2010/05/03/steubenville-to-join-ecol

Steubenville to Join ECOL

By: Jed DeMuesy
Posted: Monday, May 3, 2010 - 5:31pm

And then there were 11.

This afternoon, the East Central Ohio League added a new member to their ever-expanding league.

After a 7-3 vote from member schools, Steubenville was approved for membership in the ECOL, which has now added four member schools in the past calendar year.

On the heels of Zanesville, Rosecrans, and Marietta, the Big Red out of Jefferson County will push the ECOL to 11 schools.

Upon entry, Steubenville will compete with Dover, Cambridge, Marietta, New Philadelphia, and Zanesville in the Scarlet Division.

Competing in the "small school" or Gray Division will be Claymont, Coshocton, Meadowbrook, River View, and Rosecrans.

When reached for comment, Zanesville Athleitic Director Scott Aronhalt said that with the addition of Steubenville, the ECOL can now boast a school in all of the major cities in Eastern Ohio.

Aronhalt also adding that the travel aspect of including the Big Red wasn't as big of a concern for his school, considering the rigorous travel schedule that faced Zanesville in the SEOAL.

"I think this move proves that the ECOL is interested in having a widespread influence in the state of Ohio" Rosecrans Athletic Director Mike Bullock said.

Bullock and Aronhalt also lauded the facilities in Steubenville, with both also adding that the move to add Steubenville will hopefully be a catalyst to add an additional school to the Gray Division.

ECOL Commisioner John Neighbor confirmed to WHIZ that the league has sent out invitations to at least twelve schools, inquiring whether or not they would be interested in joining, with the current target being Indian Valley, who left the ECOL after the 2006-07 school year.

Neighbor also confirming when the Big Red will join the conference completely will be determined within the next few weeks, but could start competing against ECOL schools in some sports as early as this fall.

Neighbor also confirmed that the "crossover game" in football that would allow one team from a given division to play one team from the other division has been made optional, instead of manditory.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Steubenville to join ECOL

Post by noreply66 »

Poor Marietta

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

I wonder who the 12 possible expansion schools are (besides Indian Valley)???? I wonder if Warren received an inquiry?

ironmen1987
SE

Post by ironmen1987 »

Maybe Marietta could drop football and have 2 soccer teams and 2 cross country teams ????

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

http://www.hsconnect.com/page/content.detail/id/535878.html

Big Red joins ECOL
By MIKE MATHISON, sports editor

POSTED: May 4, 2010

STEUBENVILLE - Big Red sports is heading north and west.

Steubenville was voted into the East Central Ohio League Monday and, according to ECOL commissioner John Neighbor, can begin play in the league in golf, cross country, swimming, wrestling, track, baseball and softball beginning in the fall.

The ECOL has a Scarlet and Gray division.

Big Red will be in the Scarlet division with Cambridge, Dover, Marietta, New Philadelphia and Zanesville. The Gray division includes Claymont, Coshocton, Meadowbrook, River View and Zanesville Bishop Rosecrans.

"They wanted to add a team into the big school division," said Big Red Athletic Director Fred Heatherington. "Somebody got in contact with me about joining the league. We talked about it and seemed interested in it, so we wrote a letter to apply into the league.

"This is primarily for the football schedule, but the schools in the league are also good in every other sport. This will help us in all sports."

Steubenville, which will remain a member of the Ohio Valley Athletic Conference, will not begin league activity in football until the 2011-12 school year.

"I was a little surprised when I found out that Big Red might be interested in joining," said Neighbor. "But, I understand their problem from an AD's point of view. Since the OVAC has no mandatory scheduling, Fred is hunting 10 football games, 20 games for both the boys and girls basketball teams and 27 baseball and softball games.

"I understand Big Red plays only three Ohio schools in football this year. This will help everybody. I think this makes it a lot nicer for Steubenville.

"I have the football schedules about half worked out. I'll finish them in the morning. I have the schedules done in all sports through 2013-14. I built a bye into the baseball and softball schedules and Steubenville can slide into the byes.

"The biggest problem is basketball, since the schedules are already done. We'll have to see how that one works out."

The addition to the league gives Big Red five mandated football games a year and Heatherington and football coach Reno Saccoccia now only have to fill five dates instead of 10.

"I think this will really help Reno and myself out scheduling football games," said Heatherington. "Since we only play three Ohio teams this year (Akron Buchtel, Massillon and Ursuline), this league will give us five Ohio teams each year and we can still keep some teams on our schedule

"I think we're going to get good crowds at the football games. This league will be good for the fans and good for us. But, we have yet to see what it will do computer-point wise for us in football. The teams you play have to win.

"Our schedule the last 15 to 20 years has been great for us getting us good computer points and getting us ready for the playoffs. It's been a tough schedule to fill, but it has also helped us for the playoffs and with the computer points."

Neighbor said each school will have an opportunity to play a crossover football game within the league, but it will not be mandatory.

"Steubenville has already said they would not do that," said Neighbor. "But, we will still have rivalry games in those crossover games, like Coshocton and Cambridge, Meadowbrook and Cambridge and Claymont playing Dover and New Philly.

"I can see some really big crowds at some of these football games.

"Steubenville will not be participating in the junior high level sports and we have not talked about freshman sports either."

And, according to Neighbor, this is not all about sports, either.

"In the ECOL we have a band and choir concert, an academic challenge and cheerleading competition and Steubenville has been invited to participate in all of those."

Dover football coach Dan Ifft and New Philadelphia football coach Matt Dennison talked to the New Philadelphia Times Recorder about the addition of Big Red.

"It's great," said Ifft. "It makes us one of the premier leagues in the state. We'll all have to pick up our games. It's great for them and its great for us (Dover and the league)," added Ifft. "It's also great for the fans. We're looking forward to them coming in."

"We're real excited about this," said Dennison. "When you look at what will be the upper division of this league, four of the six teams were 9-1 last year. Our schedule will be a real meat grinder, but that's what we want.

"Every program in this division is going to have to step it up now. That puts a lot of pressure on us, but that's what we like."

Heatherington said there are still questions to be answered.

"We'll still have to see how everything will work out with all the sports," said Heatherington.

"We're treading new waters with this."

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

I wonder who the three "No" votes were?

Steubenville Catholic Central is considering joining the small school division according to chat on OhioChatter....

http://www.ohiochatter.com/Thread-Big-Red-voted-into-the-ECOL-7-3

blackshooky
All Conference

Post by blackshooky »

[quote="NYBuckeye96"][color=brown]I wonder who the three "No" votes were?

cambridge - marietta - river view

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

If the Tigers thought the likes of Logan ,Ironton and the rest of the SEOAL was tough well they are in for it now. Stubenville = Big time Football program!

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

The ECOL is looking to add up to 12 teams. That would create multiple divisions if the interest is there. It is possible that Marietta and Steubenville would only be in the same division for a few years, as a third or possibly fourth division would need to be created if that many schools joined the league. It all depends on if the interest is there from eastern Ohio schools.

The vibe I get from reading about ECOL expansion is that the ECOL would like to become a mega conference like the OCC or MSL.

If I was Marietta, I would be trying to recruit Warren to join the ECOL to help create a "south division" out of the big school division in the ECOL.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

If more schools don't join & soon, the league will break up fairly quickly. Many of the schools are already looking for another option, both the large & small.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

I wonder if having Steubenville in the league will scare other schools from wanting to join the ECOL now? At least the schools who would be placed into the same division as Steubenville.

I don't know if this helps or hurts the ECOL expansion plans in the long run. At any rate, the ECOL is turning into a beast if all of these schools remain in the league.

GoChiefs
Varsity

Post by GoChiefs »

Nope..don't have to worry about it now. How screwed up is Big Red? They ask to join a league, they get enough votes to get in, then they turn down the invitation? What kind of sense does that make?!?!?!

http://www.coshoctontribune.com/article ... /100518014

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

I still do not understand a league having divisions unless they play each other and count towards league standings.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Wow, that is odd. Too many fans must have complained about not being able to have 6-7 home games every year.

I think the ECOL is probably better off without Steubenville if it is trying to become a mega conference. Having Steubenville in the league would scare away some schools from applying for membership.

Daniel Larusso
Varsity

Post by Daniel Larusso »

The city of Marietta after the news. :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94 :aaaaa94

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

The Big Red play 7 or 8 home games a year.

GoChiefs
Varsity

Post by GoChiefs »

Yep. I'd guess that's the biggest reason for turning it down. They wouldn't be able to have their 8 home games a year!

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Bingo !! Big Red is a cash cow that can't afford to give up home games. The ECOL is declining in population and the league, absent Steubie, still looks for members to flee over the next few years. This will not be a stable league for some time as many are looking to cover their butts.

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

I assume Steubenville buys their 7-8 home games. Why couldnt they "buy" league games? Is there something in league charters that say schools have to play league games at their school? If The Big red can offer the school more to play on the road, why not. They are going to get blitzkrieged anyway. Why not pay for some other stuff along the way?

coal miner's son
Freshman Team

Post by coal miner's son »

...buy some more things along the way...TWO MORE LIFE-FLIGHT HELICOPTERS ON STAND BY DURING LEAGUE GAMES.

Return to “Football”