Mike Bartrum

81dendmhs74
JV Team

Mike Bartrum

Post by 81dendmhs74 »

Just saw in the local paper that Mike is going to be a coach at Meigs this year. Hope he and Chancey can work together. Do you think it will help. Any thouhgts????????

JChipwood
All Conference

Re: Mike Bartrum

Post by JChipwood »

I don't see how it could hurt! Participation should increase, move-ins, not to mention knowledge gained through experience.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

I think it will be great for Meigs! Anyone who has ever met him knows that he is a really really great guy with a lot of knowledge when it comes to football and life.

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

Great move for the kids at Meigs!

BBallin fool
SEOP

Post by BBallin fool »

Good move for Meigs!!!

L.R. Faires
Waterboy

Post by L.R. Faires »

Good move for the whole TVC. I don't know Mike real well, but the times I have run across him, it has always been positive. I have always had a lot of respect for Chancey. The cats usually scrimmage with the Marauders and it is very productive. I think there staff and ours work well together. The addition of a former Pro-Bowl football player certainly can't hurt. Best of luck.

BigDintigertown775
Freshman Team

Post by BigDintigertown775 »

Mike is one hell of a guy. I met him years ago when he played for the Herd with some buddies of mine from Ironton.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

L.R. Faires wrote:Good move for the whole TVC. I don't know Mike real well, but the times I have run across him, it has always been positive. I have always had a lot of respect for Chancey. The cats usually scrimmage with the Marauders and it is very productive. I think there staff and ours work well together. The addition of a former Pro-Bowl football player certainly can't hurt. Best of luck.

I agree!

I think he should be made the first commissioner of the TVC. Imagine where he could take this conference to with his contacts in the world of athletics and his team building skills he learned as a Pro-Bowl player in the NFL.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

I don't know if they will co-exist or not. Mike C. was the starting qb in high school and was recruited by Ohio State and played some on special teams in his years there. Mike B. was his understudy of sorts as he was a little younger but a better all around athlete in my opinion even though he was smaller, he also played qb in high school (Went to Marshall as a tight end, played on a national championship team then retired from the NFL as a long snapper). Both played and led Meigs teams that should have made the playoffs but back then you had to be in the top 4 in the region and even an undefeated regular season in the TVC (See Athens for a possible future scenario) couldn't help either of them. I personally believe Mike C. should step aside and let some new blood in the football locker room at Meigs where there's been a Chancey as head coach since the schools consolidated to form Meigs in 1966-1967. For 44 years, one family has run the football program and it's resulted in 1 playoff appearance which was a blowout. "Time for a change"

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

FANOSPORTS wrote:I don't know if they will co-exist or not. Mike C. was the starting qb in high school and was recruited by Ohio State and played some on special teams in his years there. Mike B. was his understudy of sorts as he was a little younger but a better all around athlete in my opinion even though he was smaller, he also played qb in high school (Went to Marshall as a tight end, played on a national championship team then retired from the NFL as a long snapper). Both played and led Meigs teams that should have made the playoffs but back then you had to be in the top 4 in the region and even an undefeated regular season in the TVC (See Athens for a possible future scenario) couldn't help either of them. I personally believe Mike C. should step aside and let some new blood in the football locker room at Meigs where there's been a Chancey as head coach since the schools consolidated to form Meigs in 1966-1967. For 44 years, one family has run the football program and it's resulted in 1 playoff appearance which was a blowout. "Time for a change"

Mike Chauncy is a good coach!! Go think of some more long winded crap to say! :roll: :roll: :roll:

John Wooden
JV Team

Post by John Wooden »

FANOSPORTS wrote:I don't know if they will co-exist or not. Mike C. was the starting qb in high school and was recruited by Ohio State and played some on special teams in his years there. Mike B. was his understudy of sorts as he was a little younger but a better all around athlete in my opinion even though he was smaller, he also played qb in high school (Went to Marshall as a tight end, played on a national championship team then retired from the NFL as a long snapper). Both played and led Meigs teams that should have made the playoffs but back then you had to be in the top 4 in the region and even an undefeated regular season in the TVC (See Athens for a possible future scenario) couldn't help either of them. I personally believe Mike C. should step aside and let some new blood in the football locker room at Meigs where there's been a Chancey as head coach since the schools consolidated to form Meigs in 1966-1967. For 44 years, one family has run the football program and it's resulted in 1 playoff appearance which was a blowout. "Time for a change"

First you say some of those Meigs teams should of made the playoffs, but didn't because of no fault of their own and then you throw up that they only made it to one playoff game under Mike and Charlie. Both has done a great job over the years, if you don't think so look at the basketball program.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

First you say some of those Meigs teams should of made the playoffs, but didn't because of no fault of their own and then you throw up that they only made it to one playoff game under Mike and Charlie. Both has done a great job over the years, if you don't think so look at the basketball program.[/quote]

You guys (O&B and John Wooden) are probably too young to remember but if Meigs had stayed in the SEOAL (instead of going into the TVC at that time in the mid 80's) they would have made the playoffs probably even with a 9-1 record when Mike & Mike were there because they had the talent to do it. There were a lot of people writing to the newspapers back then(me being one) saying that if Meigs went into the TVC they would play down to the caliber of the competition and in the long run it would hurt the athletic programs and it has come to fruition (especially Basketball as mentioned above). Teams they wouldn't even scrimmage back then (because it would have been a butt kicking)are now in their league and beating them. It's come full circle and as the district has lost students, they have also lost old rivalries (Gallipolis, Jackson, Ironton etc.) because at this point they couldn't stay on the field with these teams if they had to. The "old school" guys that read this know what I'm talking about so enuff said. N-Y is the class of the league in football and have been for most of the past 2 decades now but when they were in the SEOAL in the late 60's-early 70's the games were no contest with Meigs and others in the league and that's why Nelsonville turned tail and ran to help form the TVC in the first place. So you guys don't need to tell me about the history and records of the Chancey's. Charlie did a good job the first decade or so then went in a lull for a few years and came up again in the mid 80's with Mike & Mike then finished on a down note. Mike has coached all his games in the TVC so you can't really judge him as the father was judged because Charlie played some very, very good teams over the years whereas Mike hasn't really ventured out of the league other than playing a few OVC teams along the river. As I said before, time for a change. By the way O & B, if you're going to comment on a coach you should at least spell his last name right and even though you weren't born until the late 70's I can probably get my hands on some old projector film to show you some of the butt kickings Nelsonville and later N-Y used to take when they were in the SEOAL. :roll:
Last edited by FANOSPORTS on Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

FANOSPORTS
Other than the fact you have made it clear in post after post that you have no respect for sports in SEO, Why exactly do you post on preps? Every compliment you have given to any SEO team has been a 2 handed compliment. Now you have decided to put down and go after a coach who has been a class act and a great coach.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Orange and Brown wrote:FANOSPORTS
Other than the fact you have made it clear in post after post that you have no respect for sports in SEO, Why exactly do you post on preps? Every compliment you have given to any SEO team has been a 2 handed compliment. Now you have decided to put down and go after a coach who has been a class act and a great coach.

Class act, yes. Great Coach, not even close from the people I talk to when I visit down in the Meigs area frequently. I don't get the same impression but you would know it all since N-Y seems to beat him every year. It's funny how fans from one team give all kinds of accolades to a coach from another league team when they're winning year after year but if the shoe was on the other foot and he's beating you year after year it would be because he cheats, has the refs on his side, they had illegal players, etc.. As far as respect for sports in SEO, I beg to differ. I wish SEO teams would win all the time. I followed Chillicothe in person thru their basketball championship, I followed Amanda-Clearcreek in person thru their two football championships, I followed Belpre in person thru their two basketball title runs in the 1990's, I've followed Ironton in person thru numerous football playoff runs over the years, I followed Wheelersburg in person thru their baseball title run this year, I followed South Webster, Eastern Meigs and Racine Southern in person thru their basketball championships and runs over the years and just a few weeks ago followed Gallipolis thru their Softball run which ended at Pickerington. There are many other schools that I've followed in person over the years. You are what I call a "homer" and it's people like you who can't see past their own school district boundaries and give credit where credit is due to other schools and fail to criticize your own district when it is needed. Believe it or not, I've even traveled to watch your beloved Buckeyes in the playoffs a few times and hope you guys win it all again one day. (geesh that was hard to say) :-D

81dendmhs74
JV Team

Post by 81dendmhs74 »

Boy oh Boy what fire did I get started.

thirtyonetrap
Varsity

Post by thirtyonetrap »

Having played for Coach Chancey senior and played with Coach Chancey Junior as well as playing in both conferences, i think I am qualified to speak to this issue. First, you need to get all of your Meigs history facts straight. Yes, the Chanceys have presided over the program MOST of the years at Meigs but NOT all of them. There was also the Bob Ashley era. He did a good job with the Marauders. And, we cannot forget (although most of us would like to) the Mike Staggs era. That time in Meigs Football history is one you should remember before throwing darts at the Chanceys. Staggs ran the program totally into the ground so much that it helped the Golf progam win 9 consecutive TVC titles on the back of a bunch of kids who should have been playing football. Mike Chancey should remain the coach at Meigs for as long as he wants the job. Thats my two cents.......

sandman
Freshman Team

Post by sandman »

I have had the pleasure of being on the sidelines with most of the coaches in the area at one time or another as a member of RV's chain crew. There are all types of coaching styles, some good, some bad. I can tell you without reservation that Coach Chancey is one of the best.

He holds his emotions in check, allows his assistants to do their jobs and coaches his players rather than crushing them. I have seen coaches do and say horrible things but never this man. I, for one, envy Meigs for having such a capable man and staff at the helm.

Now, let me have it for being too positive.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

FANOSPORTS wrote:
Orange and Brown wrote:FANOSPORTS

Class act, yes. Great Coach, not even close from the people I talk to when I visit down in the Meigs area frequently. I don't get the same impression but you would know it all since N-Y seems to beat him every year. It's funny how fans from one team give all kinds of accolades to a coach from another league team when they're winning year after year but if the shoe was on the other foot and he's beating you year after year it would be because he cheats, has the refs on his side, they had illegal players, etc.. As far as respect for sports in SEO, I beg to differ. I wish SEO teams would win all the time. I followed Chillicothe in person thru their basketball championship, I followed Amanda-Clearcreek in person thru their two football championships, I followed Belpre in person thru their two basketball title runs in the 1990's, I've followed Ironton in person thru numerous football playoff runs over the years, I followed Wheelersburg in person thru their baseball title run this year, I followed South Webster, Eastern Meigs and Racine Southern in person thru their basketball championships and runs over the years and just a few weeks ago followed Gallipolis thru their Softball run which ended at Pickerington. There are many other schools that I've followed in person over the years. You are what I call a "homer" and it's people like you who can't see past their own school district boundaries and give credit where credit is due to other schools and fail to criticize your own district when it is needed. Believe it or not, I've even traveled to watch your beloved Buckeyes in the playoffs a few times and hope you guys win it all again one day. (geesh that was hard to say) :-D

I can't see past my own school district boundry's? I have always and will always continue to support all of the schools in SEO! It just seems to me that you only follow the winners though! Even then you only give half cocked compliments!

John Wooden
JV Team

Post by John Wooden »

Fanosports, first I am plenty old enough to have seen both of the Chanceys coach. You claim you have lived away from our area for sometime, so how in the hell would you know anything about what kind of a job a coach has done or doing. You want to blast a coach come and watch first hand instead of going on what Joe Blow tells you.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

John Wooden wrote:Fanosports, first I am plenty old enough to have seen both of the Chanceys coach. You claim you have lived away from our area for sometime, so how in the hell would you know anything about what kind of a job a coach has done or doing. You want to blast a coach come and watch first hand instead of going on what Joe Blow tells you.

I get down there about once a month in the summer and to a couple of football games every year in the fall. I watched the Warren Local (2 overtime) game last year from the end zone by the hill and it could have went either way and I watched the shellacking that New Lex put on them the last game in the preceding year in the playoffs. If 6-4 and 5-5 regular seasons are pretty much the norm and are good enough at Meigs then so be it. If you want to keep giving up 25+ points per game on defense so be it. The 5 wins last year were against teams that ended up with a combined 13-37 record. Oh well, if it's mediocrity you want then again, so be it. I guess pretty soon they'll start playing the Hocking division teams like they do in basketball now and who knows, they might even get beat by them. A lot has sure changed in the last 20-25 years is all I know. I think part of it is that the kids don't work hard enough in the summer any more to get ready for the fall. Heck, kids used to stay in shape by swimming all summer, throwing 85 lb. hay bales on farms and working in the tomato fields but nowadays there is no pool to go to in Middleport, the farms are drying up and the tomato fields in the Letart Falls area only hire Illegal Immigrants. Isn't progress great !!!!!

Return to “Football”