2010 SEOAL Previews: Logan Chieftains

bleedpurple
Waterboy

Re: 2010 SEOAL Previews: Logan Chieftains

Post by bleedpurple »

dazed&confused wrote:You can make of the Tomahawks what you want but I think the biggest problem with them was not that they didn't teach fundamentals (they did) or that they don't prep players for the Logan system (offensively Logan they did a 360 two years ago and these kids are 8-12 years old) but that there is only one team for the entire community. Lots of deserving kids don't get to play because too many compete for too few spots. While a split Tomahawk squad may not be competitive year in and out, it would provide more well-grounded athletes to the JR high teams where, I say, should be where the "system" is taught. Too many kids (and parents :roll: ) get discouraged. My son played three years for the Tomahawks, learned plenty of fundamentals and went on to start three years for the Varsity. Several of his teammates dropped out during Tomahawks because 50 kids went out and 15 played significant minutes. Tomahawks become a victim of their own success when they played ONLY to win and not make it a rewarding experience for the kids. But they DID teach fundamentals. My son played flag football instead of Tomahawks in the 6th grade because he wanted to have some fun with his buddies. Quite a few of the players that made Logan great the last few years played flag football (Patrick Angle was one). And there is nothing wrong with that, either!
This is my thought on this conversation: If you total the amount of Footplayers that came from the Tomahawk program and played all the way thru there senior year and counted the starters from that total my guess is it out ways the ones that did play flag football.
FYI the plays are from the Varsity program play books.
There is 1 coach that has been there for 10 years that does not have any son playing and has not for the last 6 years that gives time to this program . Once a Tomahawk always a Tomahawk....
Parents are told up front how much there son will play. So if the child does not stick it out don't blame others. Granted there has been some changes in the last couple of years that has left a black mark on this program, but if you would drive down the practice field behind beside the smead Bldg you will see alot of faithful parents and players. These kids love this program.. Oh and I think its crap that this years seventh grade football team could not wear any Tomahawk shirts or anything with the Tomahawk logo on it. Really...
Oh and last thing... The Tomahawk program is a non-profit organization that gives out Scholarships to Seniors and also donates money to the Athletic Boosters... Maybe you need to go to a game or practice.. It might amaze U.

wrestler87
Freshman Team

Post by wrestler87 »

I am all for the Tomahawks. I also agree that a split squad, or even a couple of "B" games might help. Not only more experience to those who do not play, but perhaps enough to keep some of those who are 'late bloomers'. Might even give one a chance to show his game speed, so to speak.
More games = More experience. Simple equation.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

I am not trashing Tomahawks. Far from it. I would agree the majority of the kids that played Tomahawks saw it through the varsity years and were better because of it. I spent many an evening on the sidelines through the week watching practice and supporting the organization. And yes, parents were told Tomahawks play to win so some kids might not get playing time. But when almost 50 kids came out for one team, that tells me there is an opportunity to split the squads and let more kids participate. Most of the teams we lined up against had less than half the total number of players we did. I've got nothing against playing to win but we're not talking about Lombardi here. Winning ISN"T the ONLY thing.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

my son have been in tomahawk for 3 yrs now. and he loves it! i know some parent get upset b/c they're son doesn't start/play as much. well, your son may not be the best at that position. there is a reason, even though those parents don't see that reason, the coaches do. there is nothing wrong with that its only biddy league ball. its not the HS, college or the NFL. i bet those same parents are the same parent that will be complaining about coach wolfe and his staff for not playing there superstar at the HS level. some parents just need to stay out of it and let the coaches teach, AT ALL LEVELS.
i just wish the HS and the flag/t-hawk programs where closer.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

It's a dilemma. Everyone wants to play to win.

I certainly agree getting more kids PLAYING more GAMES is a great thing, but starting success at a young age is a positive thing.

The best answer for a community our size might be an INTRAmural league instead ofer INTERmural.

Creating 4-5 teams to compete against each other might be the best answer, but it would take a whole change in philosophy and organization.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Anyone here remember when Logan had four or five seventh grade teams that played each other?

It seemed like each team had close to 15/20 players and it seemed everyone played.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

you could almost do it with no least then 15 kids on a team. some would play both ways, some woudldn't. but then that would create another problem..... parents complaining about all the good kids on 1 team.
welp, then your left asking the same question..... do you want your kids to win or do you want your kids to have fun? just like rec ball.
you are right though grad... splitting teams can be done. there is about 40 kids on both 3/4 and 5/6 grade teams. but here is the million dollar question.... will the HS coaches and t-hawk coaches work closer together to develop a great feeder program??

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

I THOUGHT THE BULL WAS GOING TO BROADCAST THE LOGAN GAMES THIS YEAR?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? I GUESS SCRIMMAGES DON'T COUNT!!!! THEY MIGHT LOSE A LISTENER IF THEY BROADCAST A SCRIMMAGE. F@#^ING PATHEDTIC!!!!!!

wowhesfast
Freshman Team

Post by wowhesfast »

Tomahawks has gone through some pretty incredible changes over the years. I remember the first few years i played we wore black uniforms, and there were about 25 kids on my third grade team (we all got a lot of minutes). i've long thought that Tomahawks should either split equal (no A team or B team, but two evenly matched or even randomly selected squads) and or talk to the people that run the lancaster youth league about joining up. It seems to me that logan might be better of facing off against smaller teams that are more talented. I don't know how many squads there are in that league, or what its all about but when I drive by the park along memorial drive there never seems to be more than fifteen or twenty kids on each sideline. Travel wouldn't be a big issue, as tomahawks always seem to be on the road to athens county.

Also I think in recent years there's been a return to tomahawks coaches that are not parents of kids in the program, and that's always a good thing. I was talking to one of my former coaches and he said he was making a return, and I learned many of the fundamentals of football from him. That makes me excited.

wrestler87
Freshman Team

Post by wrestler87 »

Logan's enrollment cut in half would be more in line with the numbers of Trimble, Fed Hock., Nelsonville and maybe Alex. anyways. Also, the INTRAmural idea is great. The parents would save a lot of driving as well. As far as the "Parents don't see it.." That's sometimes true, but usually not. Just a reason to leave it as is.
Even the Lancaster idea is good. It is about success, so put them against teams they can beat- It is about Retaining players, so get them on a team they feel they contribute to. It is about learning Varsity plays, so give them a smaller group with more individual attention. You wouldn't believe how much easier this is. (See class size correlation stats)
Sounds like even those opposed support it. lol
Just stopped in to see if there were scrimmage updates. (bored) (sleeping)

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

how did the scrimmage go??

DRIFTER
Freshman Team

Post by DRIFTER »

Sheridan 28 Logan 7

I was confused at the end of the game. With over 5 minutes left Sheridan broke a long run and looked like they were going in for another score. Then you see the Chieftains lining up and they start walking over to greet the Sheridan players, you could see the Sheridan side looked shocked. Anyone have an idea what happened? Surely the Chieftains didn't just quit. Well maybe it was better not to get anyone hurt in the last 5 minutes or so?

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

I left in the 3rd quarter but to me, Sheridan starters won 14-7 over Logan's 1st string. The difference was one play IMO. Sheridan's QB took off on a delay QB draw, broke contain and ran it down close where they scored. Other than that, it was close. Logan's defensive line needs to be tighter on the ends. Graham was a workhorse for Logan's offense, breaking a long run for TD. Montgomery looked good on the kicking game and bommed a couple of nice punts. Anyway, we'll see what we're made of next week.

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

I was confused as well! 6:41 left and they line up to shake hands but I guess Wolfe thought they had had enough! Sheridan won the varsity 14-7 then the reserves tacked on a couple scores and could have had more.I thought Logan started out well moving deep into Sheridan territory but stalled out then trailing 7-0 logan had a 4 and short from midfield in the second quarter and Brandon Graham broke the LOS and he was off to the endzone for Logans only score.Logan had alot of penalties and mistakes tonite,offensive line did a decent job I thought,QBS have to make quicker decisions where to go with the ball,defensive line did alright although I saw alot of big holes for Sheridan runners,Sheridan has a nice QB who can hurt you running or throwing.Logan did pick him a couple times,I got a bad feeling about next week Logan has alot of work to do.....speed is lacking at reciever this year so i think wolfe really needs to pick up the running game this year,,Graham is a beast to bring down feed him the ball!!!!!

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

noreply66 wrote:Anyone here remember when Logan had four or five seventh grade teams that played each other?

It seemed like each team had close to 15/20 players and it seemed everyone played.
I remember them years :-D Alot of kids got playing time that way but I still prefer a team that plays other towns at that age,but in elementary I think it would be great to split up teams to play each other so more kids could get time.I forgot to mention in my Sheridan post Man can Montgomery boom a punt,i don't know what the record is but i'd say its in trouble

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

Ok, The scrimmages are over, my question, are the kids in the right positions and should there be any changes? I am asking because I have been out of town and unable to watch any of the scrimmages!

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

The scrimmage wasn't as bad as the score.

Sheridan will be heard from this year come the playoffs.
I would say Sheridan could beat Lancaster.

Return to “Football”